PDA

View Full Version : How many VXs are there?

ScubaSteve
09/04/2003, 04:21 AM
I hear a lot about the #s of VXs in circulation... anyone have anything definitive? I've been told 15k worldwide... 5k in the US... one person even mentioned that there's only 150 or so 01 kaisers. :rolleyes: just curious...

AREA 51
09/04/2003, 06:06 AM
You won't find that info in the "specs" column. Try a search for "production figures"

Dallas4u
09/04/2003, 07:49 AM
Someone posted this image a while back of the US figures:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/181000-181999/181270_31_full.jpg

As for other countries, I've heard more like less than 1000 sold, but that could be a made up number.

ScubaSteve
09/04/2003, 08:12 AM
wonder who has the pearl:)

Navigator
09/04/2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by ScubaSteve
wonder who has the pearl:)

Last I heard, the one and only most rare Pearl VX got repainted. :homer: Doh!

AnalogVX
09/04/2003, 08:42 AM
I thought the pearl was locked in Isuzu USA's garage?
Along with VX02

WormGod
09/04/2003, 09:56 AM
Yep, I heard what Nav heard. The pearl was repainted another color and the guy never knew it was a one of a kind. Poor bastage.... if it is true. ;eeky;

nyc #1 ironman
09/04/2003, 11:17 AM
If you guys saw howwwwww many VX's were on Staten Island and how many were in NYC alone I don't know how you'd be able to believe the figures given. They're sooo many out here that not a day goes by where I don't see 2 or 3 . I'm sure other N.East VXers would probably agree. As I stated once before I have seen or met at least 13 other VX's on Staten Island NY which is only a 12x17 radius area. It's like they ship them from Japan to NY or something and they all get hogged up out here (LOL) When I first got the VX iwas telling friends about how rare they are now my friends just laugh at me because they see them all the time. In fact 2 days ago they saw a black one on Staten Island with like 33 inch tires Anybody know who this is?

Dallas4u
09/04/2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by WormGod
Yep, I heard what Nav heard. The pearl was repainted another color and the guy never knew it was a one of a kind. Poor bastage.... if it is true. ;eeky;

Dude, PLEASE say it ain't so. This made me sad when I read it. I CAN'T be true, can it? Can someone vouch for this? Anita? Andy? ANYONE?

momo
09/05/2003, 08:54 AM
I just finished a job with the production designer (not show car) of the VX. He says 8,000 total were made - 5,000 in the US and 3,000 in Japan. VXs that show up in other countries were imported from Japan or US.

Tim

Robert
09/05/2003, 08:55 AM
Dallas4you!

Just to make you feel better. I travel a lot on the N. Esat Cost Delaware - Pansylvania - Maryland (DC area) and I met or saw only 2 VX in almost a year.(beside our last meet with Wormgod in OC).
I know they sold many in the NYC area , actually I bought mine on Long Island , NY too.
I think the numbers are close to reality. Don't forget that there are some people in continental Europe (other than the UK) who bought theirs also here in the US because these SUV-s were not sold in Europe. As a matter a fact I know a feaw people having the first 99 editions.
I will bring mine back to Europe too some time. (I decided to keep it for ever!)

Robert

omegavx
09/05/2003, 09:24 AM
nyc #1 ironman - Well, this month there is one less VX in the NYC area. I got mine in green brooke about 20 to 30 miles outside of NYC and drove it all the way back to indiana. So that's one less you'll be spotting around. :) While I was researching I think about half of those available, if not more, were located on the east coast.

AREA 51
09/05/2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by momo
I just finished a job with the production designer (not show car) of the VX. He says 8,000 total were made - 5,000 in the US and 3,000 in Japan. VXs that show up in other countries were imported from Japan or US.

Tim

So does this mean Isuzu made 2 complete sets of dies for the VX?How can you explain stamping 8,000 complete vehicles and ??? amount of replacement panels from a set of dies that are only supposed to be good for 6,000 stampings?

johnnyapollo
09/05/2003, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure how accurate those numbers are. I've heard less thatn 6k were produced through all years (Japanese and US), got that information from a regional Isuzu rep (course he could be wrong as well). I wonder if Andy could find out some real numbers?

I believe the actual estimate on the ceramic/concrete dies was about 10k pieces. That would provide enough body parts for about 7k plus repair/replacement parts.

-- John

Anita
09/05/2003, 10:34 AM
John,

The numbers listed were supplied from an exec at Isuzu Japan. This was the information that was supplied after I received those production numbers:

"According to our database, total VX shipped out was 4,309.
This number includes the Pearl White VX.
Unfortunately, that VX had been sold already.
There must be one lucky customer who owns 'One in a world' VX.

4,309 is the number that we had produced and shipped out from
Japan. There might be some vehicle sold outside U.S. or being
not retailed for some reason. So, it does not mean 4,309 VXs
were actually sold in U.S."

Adam, I have no idea what happened to the pearl VX. It was such a beautiful color that I wished I could have bought it when it was offered to me two years ago. Darn. I hope that person did not paint it -- what a mistake!

johnnyapollo
09/05/2003, 12:46 PM
Hey Anita,

I think the real question is how many were produced for the Japanese Market. Wish we could get some intel on that.

I too wish you had bought that pearl VX! Someone on our board certainly deserves it!

-- Best, John

Anita
09/05/2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by johnnyapollo
Hey Anita,

I think the real question is how many were produced for the Japanese Market. Wish we could get some intel on that.

-- Best, John

I'll see if I can find that out...

Triathlete
09/05/2003, 01:02 PM
If I remember correctly from a past post there was only about 550 made for the Asian market. I'll have to search for that post.
Try this post from the old VMag forum VX Production #'s (http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/001702.html)

Navigator
09/05/2003, 01:25 PM
Found some info here http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/002751.html

momo
09/06/2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by AREA 51
So does this mean Isuzu made 2 complete sets of dies for the VX?How can you explain stamping 8,000 complete vehicles and ??? amount of replacement panels from a set of dies that are only supposed to be good for 6,000 stampings?

Actually, I cant explain it. 8,000+ parts from a 6,000 part die? Must be a miracle! ;) All I did was relay info from the guy who spent two years of his life designing the production model. But hey, he could be totally off. I guess this will be an eternal mystery.

Seriously, I'm curious (only slightly) why people seem to care much about this elusive number.

Tim

Dallas4u
09/06/2003, 09:45 AM
Seriously, I'm curious (only slightly) why people seem to care much about this elusive number.

Tim

What? Are you talking about the total number produced? Why wouldn't you want to know that about the VX? Yeah, if you drove an F-150 you probably wouldn't care that you were driving # 1,560,000 out of 3,000,000 (or whatever). Were talking CHUMP change compared to that... jeez. :rolleyes:

WyrreJ
09/06/2003, 10:26 AM
Actually, I cant explain it. 8,000+ parts from a 6,000 part die? Must be a miracle! ;) All I did was relay info from the guy who spent two years of his life designing the production model. But hey, he could be totally off. If he was the one responsible for the designing the cup holder then I think we have an explanation.