PDA

View Full Version : Group Buying a VX

vt_maverick
10/12/2010, 10:06 AM
Now I know this idea would be fraught with complications, but I thought I would throw it out there for discussion. Would there be any interest in group buying a VX to part it out? Not a stock VX mind you, but one with a significant number of nice mods that could be parted in addition to standard OEM parts.

I got to thinking about this after seeing this eBay ad:

http://i.ebayimg.com/11/!B5Q9JowBGk~$(KGrHqIOKiYEyBJ8RIwPBMs7kRGKhg~~_3.JP G

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-VehiCROSS-ISUZU-VEHICROSS-RARE-SUPERCHARGED-RECARO-SEATS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb18f38f6QQitemZ26067 6991222QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Here's a list of the mods on it:

Alpine supercharger
CF insert with hood scoop (hard to tell if it's functional)
CF rear door half moon with camera cut-out
VXC (?) front skid plate
VXC (?) rear skid plate
GTS-style CF tail light covers
Smoked headlights
Custom storage / CD changer / amp (?) box

So between those parts (especially the supercharger) and whatever OEM parts others might want, it seems to me like you could raise some $$$ to buy it, assuming someone would be willing to be the primary buyer and do all the part-out work.

Thoughts?

circmand
10/12/2010, 10:09 AM
Now I know this idea would be fraught with complications, but I thought I would throw it out there for discussion. Would there be any interest in group buying a VX to part it out? Not a stock VX mind you, but one with a significant number of nice mods that could be parted in addition to standard OEM parts.

I got to thinking about this after seeing this eBay ad:

http://i.ebayimg.com/11/!B5Q9JowBGk~$(KGrHqIOKiYEyBJ8RIwPBMs7kRGKhg~~_3.JP G

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-VehiCROSS-ISUZU-VEHICROSS-RARE-SUPERCHARGED-RECARO-SEATS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb18f38f6QQitemZ26067 6991222QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Here's a list of the mods on it:

Alpine supercharger
CF insert with hood scoop (hard to tell if it's functional)
CF rear door half moon with camera cut-out
VXC (?) front skid plate
VXC (?) rear skid plate
GTS-style CF tail light covers
Smoked headlights
Custom storage / CD changer / amp (?) box

So between those parts (especially the supercharger) and whatever OEM parts others might want, it seems to me like you could raise some $$$ to buy it, assuming someone would be willing to be the primary buyer and do all the part-out work.

Thoughts?

when 2 people want the same part?

vt_maverick
10/12/2010, 10:11 AM
I think you'd have to work that out in advance. In other words, the primary buyer would allow people to "sign up" to buy each part, with the highest bidder winning out.

The bigger issue I'd be worried about would be folks committing to buy and then backing out. I (and Marlin and others) have first hand experience in what happens when "I'm in!" suddenly turns into "Oh man, sorry, I changed my mind."

Triathlete
10/12/2010, 11:20 AM
Why would you canabalize a fairly low milage VX that appears to be in great shape and has a lot of mods that a lot of people want/desire? Seems like it would make more sense for it to go to a good home or for someone who wanted all those mods to possibly buy it and then part/sale their current ride. Just my opinion.

My money says it will end up in Russia!

vt_maverick
10/12/2010, 11:28 AM
Why would you canabalize a fairly low milage VX that appears to be in great shape and has a lot of mods that a lot of people want/desire?

It's been in two accidents and may have significant frame rust issues based on being owned in the northeast. No doubt the owner has cared for her well, but it's not like we're talking a pristine, one-owner, no accidents, 30K mile VX.

stangri
10/12/2010, 11:30 AM
if you do end up buying it -- dibs on front and rear skid plates. :)

vt_maverick
10/12/2010, 11:31 AM
Oh no, I already PM'd the seller on those just in case someone renigs on their bid. :D In all seriousness I'm planning on buying a front skid from rowhard so I'd only want the rear. Hopefully I could send it to him to create a mold so we can all have them! :thumbup:

Luna X
10/12/2010, 11:42 AM
I'll arm-wrastle ya for 'em!...... :)

stangri
10/12/2010, 11:56 AM
Oh, I also don't mind buying a skid plate from rowhard, it's just I was under impression there's no ETA on them.

vt_maverick
10/12/2010, 12:20 PM
I believe he makes them on-demand. PM him directly and see if there's a line, you may be able to get one sooner than you thought.

vt_maverick
10/12/2010, 12:32 PM
Holy shnikies it's already up to $5300 and 21 bids! Apparently these people have never used eBay before. :laughy:

circmand
10/12/2010, 03:56 PM
Holy shnikies it's already up to $5300 and 21 bids! Apparently these people have never used eBay before. :laughy:

Sniping at the last minute which has been nipped in the ldub by use of max bidding

Bid large at the beginning and scare away competition okay if youy really want and not worried about the cost

RabidPony
10/12/2010, 05:36 PM
Hell, if I could find a damn job I'd just buy that one to do some parts trading between it and my current VX then have one for street and one for dirt.

RallyDude
10/12/2010, 11:41 PM
I wouldn't cannibalize it either. It's got an extended warranty, and it's not like you can just move that sunroof over easily. With that supercharger, it should sell for a higher price than what most people would spend on a parts car. Personally, I think it would be a shame to dismantle it, unless the accident caused frame damage and it doesn't track right. Not only that, everyone's going to want the same parts anyway. Supercharger, skid plates, tail lens covers, both hood inserts, smoked lights and electronics. I don't think you'd have any fights over the batman stuff though.

Either way, rowhard could use that back skid and the taillight covers to build molds to reproduce them. Too bad it doesn't have the side skids.

stangri
10/13/2010, 02:40 AM
I believe he makes them on-demand. PM him directly and see if there's a line, you may be able to get one sooner than you thought.
I did, that's why I said what I said.

vt_maverick
10/13/2010, 10:16 AM
Did he tell you that the project was on hold, or did he just not respond?

vt_maverick
10/13/2010, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't cannibalize it either. It's got an extended warranty, and it's not like you can just move that sunroof over easily. With that supercharger, it should sell for a higher price than what most people would spend on a parts car. Personally, I think it would be a shame to dismantle it, unless the accident caused frame damage and it doesn't track right. Not only that, everyone's going to want the same parts anyway. Supercharger, skid plates, tail lens covers, both hood inserts, smoked lights and electronics. I don't think you'd have any fights over the batman stuff though.

Either way, rowhard could use that back skid and the taillight covers to build molds to reproduce them. Too bad it doesn't have the side skids.

Agreed, I guess I'll just keep hunting these parts down the old fashioned way (heavy sigh). WRT the Batman stuff, maybe the owner of that infamous Superman VX is bidding on this to expand his Marvel VX Collection? :confused: ;)

vt_maverick
11/14/2010, 03:19 PM
Looks like the sale must have fallen through? It's up to 16 bids with almost 4 days left still. Guess some bidders didn't learn their lesson the first go round. :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-VehiCROSS-ISUZU-VEHICROSS-RARE-SUPERCHARGED-RECARO-SEATS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb25ed8f6QQitemZ26069 0598134QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

circmand
11/15/2010, 09:20 AM
with the super charger that would command a better price. I expect to see a big jump coming aty the end

Riff Raff
11/15/2010, 10:40 AM
Yup, you can be damn sure everybody who's interested in this VX is just waiting in the shadow's like hungry Rats, and ready to pounce ("Snipe") within the very last 2--4 seconds of the eBay auction. I've already put this auction in "Watch Mode", as it should be entertaining to see what the ending selling price will be during the final 2--4 seconds of the auction when everybody places their Sniper Bid's. Obviously, whoever submits the highest "ceiling cap" bid (auto-bid proxy) will ultimately win the auction.

I will say this-- it definately has some very cool & rare mod's. The rear CF tail-light covers I've never seen before, and the electric Moon-Roof is easily a $1,500+ mod by itself. This VX should command a hefty price with as many goodies it has on it. We'll just have to wait and see.

:bgwb:

VX KAT
11/15/2010, 10:46 AM
Yup, you can be damn sure everybody who's interested in this VX is just waiting in the shadow's like hungry Rats, and ready to pounce ("Snipe") within the very last 2--4 seconds of the eBay auction. I've already put this auction in "Watch Mode", as it should be entertaining to see what the ending selling price will be during the final 2--4 seconds of the auction when everybody places their Sniper Bid's.

Well, surprisingly, that didn't happen at all the first round on ebay....:_confused
And, it only got up to $6,700 :_thinking...seemed like it would go much higher!
We'll see what round two brings....

vt_maverick
11/15/2010, 11:53 AM
I think the problem is that without the mods it's a pretty unremarkable VX. Owned for several years in Michigan, which you can tell not only from the history report but also by all the rusty bolts in several of the pictures. Then there's the front-end impact with another vehicle. Personally I would put the value of the VX by itself at around $4K, meaning that his mods are carrying him almost $3K higher already.

Too bad they likely cost him $10K or more though.

vt_maverick
11/18/2010, 05:46 PM
For those new to eBay here is a good object lesson. This VX just sold for $6,902.00 on 32 bids. I bet the guy who bid $6,900 felt pretty stupid.

Maybe this buyer will actually follow through and then join the site.

deermagnet
11/18/2010, 06:17 PM
The next highest bids were $6802 and $6702 from the same person (not the winner). They also bid on at least twenty items just today. Mostly women's dresses, shoes, skirts, pants, tops, and jewelery. I don't know how badly she(?) wanted the VX. The winning bid got in with just five seconds left. She(?) coulda set up for an automatic higher bid and mighta got in at the last second, if she(?) was that serious about getting the VX. Or maybe she(?) just likes bidding on stuff. :_confused

Mark