PDA

View Full Version : Ac compressor noise

WILLY
10/11/2010, 05:08 PM
My ac compressor leaked oil and started making a vibrating noise with the ac on but made no noise while off so i have just not used it,now it's making a bit of a noise that sounds kinda like a train while off but it's not real loud (yet) will this thing seize up soon if not replaced,$900.00 for an ac compressor plus who knows how much labor is not in my budget until spring.FML:madb:
I'm thinking of selling it and getting an older truck with no electronics and bs options,anyone wanna buy this thing? or does anyone have a nice older 4wd lifted truck they might wanna trade?

Marlin
10/11/2010, 05:18 PM
My ac compressor leaked oil and started making a vibrating noise with the ac on but made no noise while off so i have just not used it,now it's making a bit of a noise that sounds kinda like a train while off but it's not real loud (yet) will this thing seize up soon if not replaced,$900.00 for an ac compressor plus who knows how much labor is not in my budget until spring.FML:madb:
I'm thinking of selling it and getting an older truck with no electronics and bs options,anyone wanna buy this thing? or does anyone have a nice older 4wd lifted truck they might wanna trade?

02 trooper AC compressor will fit,can be had at yards for 100 bucks or less if you pull it. Its a tight squeeze, but it works, I have had one in mine since feb 09. I would replace ASAP, if it seizes, there goes your belt, and everything else.

WILLY
10/11/2010, 05:27 PM
thanx for the 02 trooper compressor info marlin:happyface I know if it seizes It will take out the belt and strand me for sure.I'm still thinking of selling or trading,It's just so expensive to repair and I don't have have the time to do it myself or I would.ugh

Jgauvin921
10/19/2010, 12:40 PM
Check out Rockauto.com they are amazing at prices.

crotchrocket
10/19/2010, 12:51 PM
a couple of us have recently bought shorter serpentine belts to eliminate the AC compressor from the loop (so to speak) which gives you time to get the ac sorted without the worry of break down. For me i knackered the AC bearing but sounds a little more urgent for you. Theres a couple product codes floating about.

Alterastro has told be there are just 4 bolts holding it in and it comes out through the wheel arch.......you just need to get it de-gassed.

Its winter here (not sure where you are) so i got a few months to get mine done.