PDA

View Full Version : vehi wheels

veehi
10/09/2010, 10:56 AM
does anyone know if the original wheels on the Vehi has plastic covering on them? I was told mine did..and am wondering if I'm being conned...thanks veehi@yahoo.com

Y33TREKker
10/09/2010, 11:53 AM
It depends on what the person you were talking to had in mind when they said "plastic covering." All stock Isuzu Vehicross wheels have plastic centercaps, so maybe that's what the person was referring to?

If the person was talking about the protective coating on the aluminum of the wheels themselves, I don't think it was ever plastic. For protective coatings, most aluminum wheels generally have layers of paint with a layer of clearcoat, are powder-coated, or are chrome plated. The wheels Isuzu chose for the various years of VX were no exception as far as I can tell.

Most 16" wheels I've seen on 1999 VX's appeared to be painted silver with possibly a layer of clearcoat. Maybe someone with a '99 and stock 16"s can verify this?

And the stock 18" wheels on 2000 and 2001 VX's were chrome plated...albeit not very well. :winkgray:

Triathlete
10/09/2010, 12:57 PM
16s are aluminum with a clearcoat. The clearcoat is fairly thick and appears "plasticey".

etlsport
10/09/2010, 05:33 PM
what they said..

some of the new chrysler vehicles have 20" wheels that appear to be chrome, but are actually basic alloy wheels with a very tight fitting chrome cover... havent seen that on any vehicle before about 2007 though

johnnyapollo
10/10/2010, 08:28 AM
My centercaps actually had black Isuzu stickers over them that looked just like the Isuzu underneath - not sure if they just hadn't removed them yet or what but the painted version underneath looked a lot better than the sticker.

-- John

Triathlete
10/10/2010, 02:25 PM
All stock Isuzu Vehicross wheels have plastic centercaps, so maybe that's what the person was referring to?

My center caps (16 inch wheels) are definately metal not plastic...I know this since I have mangled a few!:bwgy:

vt_maverick
10/11/2010, 11:43 AM
My centercaps actually had black Isuzu stickers over them that looked just like the Isuzu underneath - not sure if they just hadn't removed them yet or what but the painted version underneath looked a lot better than the sticker.

-- John

Wow I never knew that... must... resist... pulling the sticker off mine... when I get home. :)

crotchrocket
10/11/2010, 12:33 PM
I guess he means plastic coated and given the age of the VX he's probably right, alloy wheels were generally plastic coated unlike the paint and clearcoat they use now. It is a PAIN to get off if your sand blasting them or something??