PDA

View Full Version : Dynomax, Borla, or Flowmaster?

nocturnalVX
10/07/2010, 10:23 PM
None of the above!

The VX exhaust took some damage in Moab '09, and never has sounded quite right since. Even though there was a temp. fix at the stoop (thanks Kenny and Larry G.) plus a more thorough repair in Denver on the way home, the sound just kept getting worse and worse. I just brought my VX into the local muffler emporium to go over my options. After tossing around a few ideas Mr. muffler man suggested putting it on the lift, checking things out, and going from there. My PV muffler is still in great shape! All I needed was some welds, new flex pipe, hangars, etc. Now it sounds good as new... However, now there are some minor starting issues. It keeps dying out on me every now and then with a sputter, cough, cough... (Cece's typing and has had a few beverages :rotate: ) I am going to give the muffler man a call tomorrow and see what he says.

I am just glad it doesn't sound ricer anymore! It sounds cool again!!!! :jump:

RallyDude
10/08/2010, 04:34 AM
Local muffler emporium? I've got to go to Chicago.

vt_maverick
10/08/2010, 06:48 AM
We need to find somebody to reproduce these PV1 mufflers. After much research I don't think I've ever read anything bad about them.

Marlin
10/08/2010, 11:27 AM
I have the FLowmaster 40, it sounds decent with our little V6. Turns out, Flowmaster patent expired last year, so there is a company called incinerator, I think, that cloned the 40 series. Got it installed on the F150 for under 100 bucks out the door. Sounded great, of course I traded the F150 in...

samneil2000
10/08/2010, 12:29 PM
I've always been a FlowMaster fan. When I went to get new exhaust on the VX I thought that I wanted a Flow. The shop guys cut off the old exhaust and slid the Flow in place and started it. Then they pulled that and put a Magnaflow in there and ran that. I couldn't believe it, but I actually prefer the sound of the Magnaflow and that's what I went with.
I don't remember which model Flow they had though. Also, I think people's opinions of exhaust sounds and what sounds good are about as varied as opinions can get...

BigSwede
10/08/2010, 01:06 PM
I like the way Greg's VX sounds...don't remember what he's got on there though.

Cobrajet
10/13/2010, 04:44 PM
If you are referring to my VX, that would be the PV1 catback system (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L38eQJuh-iU). Love it!

vt_maverick
10/13/2010, 10:30 PM

If you are referring to my VX, that would be the PV1 catback system (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L38eQJuh-iU). Love it!

+1 - Amazing when you hear it in person, I can see why they were so popular...

nocturnalVX
10/13/2010, 11:13 PM
I have the PV1 catback system as well. Great sound!

WormGod
10/14/2010, 07:00 AM
After years of break-in, the PV1 sounds phenomenal. Had mine on for about 8 years now and it just deepens in growl the older it gets. It is a shame that almost all aftermarket exhausts now have a rice signature to them.

Just call it a day and get some Glass packs. ;puke2; Seems to be the "fad" for all the Jeep owners around here now.

Gussie2000
10/14/2010, 07:07 AM
Two dynomax under my horse,i love way it sounds.

The low growl at idle is great,but when you on the highway you can realized why they are so popular.

Buffy
10/14/2010, 08:29 AM
Where can the PV1 system be found? I will be needing a new cat back exhaust soon....

vt_maverick
10/14/2010, 09:02 AM
Where can the PV1 system be found? I will be needing a new cat back exhaust soon....

They are no longer produced, I think the company may not even exist anymore. Someone should figure out how to make them again (hint hint for all you gear heads out there).

Luna X
10/14/2010, 09:41 AM
silverbullet.... you need to get a recording of your exhaust with the Supertrapp posted somewhere!

I love the look of that unit and would like to get an idea of what it sounds like... ;)

PHO2GR4
10/14/2010, 11:22 AM
Check out my gallery for sound clips of stock muffler vs. Flowmaster Offroad Extreme muffler. Three years later it still sounds great!

vt_maverick
10/14/2010, 11:28 AM
Do you think your exhaust tip adds/adjusts the sound?

VXR
10/16/2010, 06:34 PM
I like my borla:yesb:

Grif
10/16/2010, 06:42 PM
X2 for Borla

Ldub
10/17/2010, 06:50 AM
X 3...Borla

Gives me what I consider to be the perfect balance between exhaust note, & S/C whine.