PDA

View Full Version : Cladding Restoration...so Easy & Dope!

mike nomy
10/07/2010, 09:03 AM
Hey there, I'm pretty new here, bought my VX about a month & half ago, after selling my '09 FJ... baby on the way, needed to buy wifey something more "family", so i figured since i was going the used route for myself, i'd check to see if my all time favorite was available, and here i am!
It's a '99 Astral, 104k. Was bone stock, badly neglected and smoker for sure before me...gross!
anyway, first thing i did was totally clean out the interior of stains n bogey odor. next was a complete tune up, including:
timing
water pump
plugs & wires
bulb replacements lol
new stereo n 4 new speakers
oil change, duh
brakes all around

i'm givin her the love and attention she never had!
anyway, so i also recently put new wheels and tires on her:
16" REBEL RACING Outlaw II, no offset, wrapped in BFG Mud Terrain KM2

looks like a moon rover cause i have not added a lift, just cranked the torsion bars n did some simple trimming with a wiz wheel n a few shots with a mallet, all good...

OK, so FINALLY!!!! the cladding!

i only told u all that cause i figure maybe u want a lil description of my truck n how serious i am about it being cared for, especially since it will be toating a newborn in 1 month!

After getting it to run perfect, n adding the wheels n stereo, something was still not right.... the damn cladding just looked all faded n old.
so i did some research on this forum n found someone who mentioned GATORBACK restoring spray. It is a finish, not like an armorall, temp fix.
So i went to their sight, http://gatorbackcoatings.com/ and ordered some cans of the stuff.
First of all, don't do what i did and order the recommened amount for a Chevy Avalanche lol, which is 8 cans...... i sprayed the entire VX and mirrors, 2 solid coats with 4 cans.

It comes in 3 different colors, from light grey-black. i went with black because i figured it would go good with the wheels i put on, i ws right, it's freakin awesome!

i also figured that the grey colors available would just look like faded black cladding, which is what i had to start with...

So now i needed some time to get this job done. I am a tattoo artist, i work all day everyday, with almost no free time to "play" with toys, especially with this baby coming FAST!
But luckily, waiting for a day just like yesterday, with my first client being a shop regular, and wussing out after only an hour of tattooing, and me keeping the cans of gatorback in my truck, the oportunity presented itself, so i jumped on it!
I had 3 hours between now n my next appointment, so me and my client/friend went out back and got to work, right in the parking lot.
I was gonna go all out and completely remove the cladding, but after reading some threads and realizing i had no place to put it, i opted for a complete, thorough masking job. GREAT choice, btw. removing the cladding is completely unnecessary, even for a professional job, keep reading and i will explain:

I have always been into art, and have had alot of experience with paints, spray paints, masking, all that artsy crap, all u ex-quarterbacks are cringing right now, i know.... well it really came in handy, because this was one of the easiest paint jobs i have ever done!

1.Remove all torx heads (T30)
2. Remove all front bumper lenses and rear corner lenses. headlight and tail light removal is completely not necessary.
3. Gas cover removal, p.s my buddy did this part, but left without putting it back on so i don't now where those 2 parts go, someone help?
4.Start Masking!
5. I used blue painter's tape with a roll of brown masking paper, which can both be found at any hardware or art store.
6. With the torx heads removed, yer buddy can pull the cladding away from the body just enough to slide the tape behind it, making for complete protection and complete exposed cladding.
7. Now the main reason my buddy stuck around to help me was cause he said that anything that comes out of a can is a complete failure.... well he was wrong and actually admitted it at the end. He was shocked!
8. So then u just spray the cladding! I started at the front passenger side panel and worked each panel with a complete solid coat and then moved on the the next panel working towards the back and around the back, making sure to try n keep the overspray off of the other panels.
9. after 1 coat you could already see how good it was looking, but 2 coats was definitely the way to go. The second coat was applied about 10 minutes later, the stuff dries really fast.
10. So that's pretty much it. Remove the tape and masking after it dries about 20 minutes, put all the parts back on and stand back in awe.
You're done.

The whole procedure, start to finish, took 2 1/2 hours, the masking is the most time consuming, but it's the part that really matters!

Gatorback is DEFINITELY the way to go, easy, affordable and effective!

Damn! my appointment is here and i don't know how to post pics for u guys! somebody help me with that so i can show u how good it came out! My Bad!
It's like gettin a girl all naked and then she says she has to be home by 12.....blue to the bizzalls

vt_maverick
10/07/2010, 09:19 AM
From here:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=FAQ&op=viewcategory&cid=7#38

First you need to browse to the Gallery. Click on the "Gallery Links" on the menu and scroll down to "Upload Photos".

Uploading a Photo is accomplished thru the use of this form. By filling in the variables, you are telling PhotoPost which photo you wish to upload and information about the photo.

Choose a cateogry - select the most appropriate place for your photo using the drop down list of available categories.

Photo to upload - using the Browser button, select the file on your system you wish to upload (be sure that the file does not exceed size limitations)

You can also upload a ".zip" file containing multiple photos. You can do this by browsing to the .zip file rather than the actual photo as stated above.

Disk space remaining for your account - This tells you how much disk space you have left for uploads

On the next page you will be prompted to enter the following information for each image you uploaded:

Enter a title for the photo - This is a short description of the photo

Keywords - enter up to 10 descriptive terms people can use to search for your image

Photo Description - This area provides for a more detailed description of the photo

Do you want to be notified by email when users post replies? Check this box if you would like an email whenever someone posts a comment to your photo.

Supported image types include: JPG, GIF and PNG.
Support multimedia type (if enabled): MPG, AVI, ASF, WMF, MOV

Let me know if you need help. Can't wait to see pics! :thumbup:

Anita
10/07/2010, 09:51 AM
Yes, pictures please!!

And do let us know how it holds up with time and weather.

Mile High VX
10/07/2010, 10:21 AM
What did you do with the jams for the doors?

VX KAT
10/07/2010, 01:44 PM
I'll buy your remaining 4 cans if you want!

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE PICS!!!!!

I've got to look into this and the T-S1 stuff a bit more. I already tried the Restore/Refinish and found that didn't adhere properly, most likely because I didn't prep the surface correctly. I was able to successfully blast it all off with a pressure washer.

But GatorBack was probably the next item I was going to try. I want a permanent coating, so hopefully this will be it. I've got to read up on the surface prep instructions and see what my buddy Luna-X thinks too.

stangri
10/07/2010, 02:23 PM
Hey Mike,

I've had a look at the gatorback web-site yesterday -- did you use their recommended cleaning solution? If not, what did you use to clean up the cladding first?

thanks!

Scott Harness
10/07/2010, 04:52 PM
:confused:What does DOPE mean these days?

Ascinder
10/07/2010, 04:56 PM
Pics or it didn't happen:bwgy:

Also it is great reading that since I have the gatorback black coating sitting in my garage right now. I bought it and just haven't had a chance to put it on yet.

vt_maverick
10/07/2010, 05:29 PM
Since we're all sitting around waiting for mike's pics, I'll pose a question for the group. It looks to me like Gatorback was mentioned on the forum BEFORE Refinish Restorer, yet it seems only a few people have used it vs. RR. Both were initially advertised to have "permanent" effect, so why did so many people flock to one over the other?

circmand
10/07/2010, 05:38 PM
Since we're all sitting around waiting for mike's pics, I'll pose a question for the group. It looks to me like Gatorback was mentioned on the forum BEFORE Refinish Restorer, yet it seems only a few people have used it vs. RR. Both were initially advertised to have "permanent" effect, so why did so many people flock to one over the other?

but cannot find the link. It either collected dirt or was prone to chipping or did not allow adherence or showed streaks.

mike nomy
10/07/2010, 05:48 PM
Hey everybody, sorry about the no pics, here they are:
also, i DID NOT buy the surface prep stuff, i used DENATURED ALCOHOL. It is the best cleaner, deg:)reaser around, and probably exactly what is in the gatorback brand prepper, for a lot less money.......
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4376[/IMG]

mike nomy
10/07/2010, 05:49 PM
oh my god i can't freakin figure out how to load the damn images! that is the direct link to my gallery!
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4376

mike nomy
10/07/2010, 05:51 PM
Scott: dope means cool, i guess. i don't know man i'm 33 n work with a bunch of younger dudes, so lingo catches on even if i use it as a joke...

mike nomy
10/07/2010, 05:52 PM
sorry about the pics delay...

mike nomy
10/07/2010, 05:53 PM
Hey lemme know what all u guys & girls think about the finished product, n my wheels!

Hiredgoon
10/07/2010, 05:57 PM
Man, that looks super sharp, and it really makes the black rims pop. Very nice work. You'll have to keep us updated on how well it wears, and whether/how often you'll need to re-apply.

Again. Lovely!

stangri
10/07/2010, 06:04 PM
Mike -- thanks for pics, but to me your cladding didn't look much faded on the before photos either. :)

Please do post if the color changes in a couple of months -- I might do this next spring.

mike nomy
10/07/2010, 06:18 PM
hiredgoon: thanks, i am really glad i chose the black to go with the wheels too... i will definitely keep u guys updated as far as wear n tear n longevity. honestly tho, it seams like it formed an infusion with the cladding, like they became one. it really is super solid. i don't think i will be having any problems at all. from all of my experience in the past with painting things, especially "iffy" things, i've found that the longevity and success is always a direct result of good prep work.

stangri: the pics make my cladding look really dark in the before pics, but they were really pretty light. there were swirl marks and water stains.... i'll keep u updated on the wear n tear. as for now tho, i'd say it's a no-brainer.

mile highvx: sorry i forgot to answer ur question before about the door jams. i am going to do them next week, weather n time permitting....

Grif
10/07/2010, 06:33 PM
Nice lookin rig Mike! Good job!

Mile High VX
10/07/2010, 07:13 PM
Looks dope man...real dope.

Love the wheels!

Represent to the max!

RallyDude
10/08/2010, 05:42 AM
It looks great. I like the satin look to it. I didn't think I needed to do the cladding until I saw how good this looked.

Is there any UV protection in it? I wonder if the dark gray is closer to stock color? Not to start up the gray/black argument again.

vt_maverick
10/08/2010, 06:11 AM
Mike -- thanks for pics, but to me your cladding didn't look much faded on the before photos either. :)

Please do post if the color changes in a couple of months -- I might do this next spring.

stangri: the pics make my cladding look really dark in the before pics, but they were really pretty light. there were swirl marks and water stains.... i'll keep u updated on the wear n tear. as for now tho, i'd say it's a no-brainer.

It's hard to judge how faded your cladding was because you took the pics in the shade. Of course it's too late to rectify that now, but do you think you could take some new pics in the sunlight? That would be really helpful, as most cladding looks much more gray in direct sunlight.

Looks nice homey. ;) :thumbup:

vt_maverick
10/08/2010, 06:12 AM
Scott: dope means cool, i guess. i don't know man i'm 33 n work with a bunch of younger dudes, so lingo catches on even if i use it as a joke...

Whoa whoa whoa... I'm 31 and still consider myself one of those "younger dudes." Don't give up on youth yet, you'll burst my deluded bubble. :)

Riff Raff
10/08/2010, 06:43 AM
Hmmm; since the GaterBack Coating comes in three(3) different colors of various shades of gray and claims to be permanent-- it sounds more like re-labled regular gray-colored spray paint in a can.;eeko;

Not for me. I'm sticking with the GM endorsed & approved TS-1 treatment wipes.:yeso:

vt_maverick
10/08/2010, 06:46 AM
Hmmm; since the GaterBack Coating comes in three(3) different colors of various shades of gray and claims to be permanent-- it sounds more like re-labled regular gray-colored spray paint in a can.;eeko;

Not for me. I'm sticking with the GM endorsed & approved TS-1 treatment wipes.:yeso:

TS-1 is the next step for me if the 303 doesn't work out. Have you tried the TS-1 yet? If that doesn't work this seems like a good option.

mike nomy
10/08/2010, 06:48 AM
Whoa whoa whoa... I'm 31 and still consider myself one of those "younger dudes." Don't give up on youth yet, you'll burst my deluded bubble. :)

hhahaha i will never get old! actually, i think i use the word dope the most around here lol.... i love using silly slang and fake words instead of proper english, but only cause i don't know the proper english! maybe it's just a NY thing...

mike nomy
10/08/2010, 06:51 AM

GM actually endorses the gatorback, they use it for the Chevy Avalanche and Caddy Escalade....
The TS-1 wipes are a temp fix, like a longer lasting Armorall.
i wish i could upload an actual physical sample of my cladding so u can see the finished product. It doesn't look like a top-coat, but rather it seems to have infused itself with the cladding. Hard to explain, sorry. It just looks like it came this way, and that i have done nothing to my cladding at all

mike nomy
10/08/2010, 06:58 AM
It looks great. I like the satin look to it. I didn't think I needed to do the cladding until I saw how good this looked.

Is there any UV protection in it? I wonder if the dark gray is closer to stock color? Not to start up the gray/black argument again.

It does not say on the website, whether it has a UV protectant, but it is totally endorsed by GM. The dark grey is probably closer to O.G. look, but i figured the black would match my wheels better.....
Go on their site, it is very informative. there is a cladding resto section, aswell as a section on other protectants that they offer.
in the cladding section, there is an actual GM downloadable document, stating that gatorback provides extra longevity and fade resistance for cladding.

mike nomy
10/08/2010, 07:12 AM
It's hard to judge how faded your cladding was because you took the pics in the shade. Of course it's too late to rectify that now, but do you think you could take some new pics in the sunlight? That would be really helpful, as most cladding looks much more gray in direct sunlight.

Looks nice homey. ;) :thumbup:

Ok I did some research and found the original ebay listing pics from when i bought the truck...
the rear bumper cladding was replaced 2 years ago, so it's pretty dark, but if u compare it to the side cladding from '99, u can now see exactly how badly faded the cladding was before i restored it.
also, this stuff is definitely not relabled spraypaint. as soon as it is sprayed, it smells way different, looks different, settles different. it is available in 3 colors to accommodate for GM's different cladding colors.
if anyone is in the NY/long island area and wants to come see and touch it for yerself as a third party witness, please contact me. i don't want to endorse anything that will not live up to the expectations that i have given it, but i do want to help everyone on the forum, so please come check it out....
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/Picture_1.png[img]http:

crotchrocket
10/08/2010, 07:17 AM
Looks good

Here:

Before
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/Picture_1.png

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/medium/IMG_00442.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/medium/IMG_00472.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/medium/IMG_00462.JPG

AFTER
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/medium/DSC_00113.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/medium/DSC_0010.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/medium/DSC_0015.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/medium/DSC_00071.JPG

rowhard
10/08/2010, 07:19 AM
I'll pose a question for the group. It looks to me like Gatorback was mentioned on the forum BEFORE Refinish Restorer, yet it seems only a few people have used it vs. RR.

Think it is a question of cost and application. GB is 4 times as much and needs to be sprayed verses wiped on.

Mile High VX
10/08/2010, 08:05 AM
Looks good

Here:

Before

AFTER

Maybe a bit easier here. Hey Mike, is the pic with the tape before any application?

Looks good man.

circmand
10/08/2010, 08:24 AM

Don't trust anyone over 30. You may consider yourself one of the Younger dudes. But the "younger dudes" do not and for that matter do not consider themselves "younger dudes" Its a law of nature when the lingo changes you go to the next older stage even if you adopt the new lingo. Even though you still consider yourself a real Hep Cat

vt_maverick
10/08/2010, 08:48 AM
I think I'm too young to have ever heard that saying. ;) But point taken, I guess I can comfort myself in being able to own/afford things I couldn't when I was in my 20's.

circmand
10/08/2010, 10:11 AM
I think I'm too young to have ever heard that saying. ;) But point taken, I guess I can comfort myself in being able to own/afford things I couldn't when I was in my 20's.

You are still younger than some of us. I keep myself feeling young by hanging out with older people.

VX KAT
10/08/2010, 10:56 AM
Mike-I'm really interested in this stuff! SO some more questions :wave:

Was it really pretty easy to get a uniform coverage, or was it tricky at all?

Did it run at all?

Does it seem to puddle at all in the torx screw holes?

Did you have to be pretty darn steady and even when spraying it?

Did you just do a back and forth motion on the spraying? Do you think you overlapped any in the process of spraying on the 1st coat?

Did you get any overspray with the amount of masking and paper you used?
Was it windy at all when you applied it? Just wondering if it flies into the air pretty easily (and therefore I'd mask some more).

Website says it's great for doing touch ups if you scratch it or damage your cladding. If this is really true, this is the stuff I want!

Did you find any areas where you had to go back and "touch up" by spraying just in a certain small area?

Does the stuff really just blend into itself quite readily or do you have be really careful about hovering over one area too long? If it dries so quickly, I'd think this may not be too much of an issue??

Is it really a MATTE or SATIN finish? I'd say SATIN has a small amount of shine to it, whereas MATTE is completely flat. What would you say it is (IN PERSON) vs the pics we're looking at?

Thanks a ton!!

crotchrocket
10/08/2010, 11:11 AM

Did it run at all?

Did you just do a back and forth motion on the spraying? Do you think you overlapped any in the process of spraying on the 1st coat?

Was it windy at all when you applied it? Just wondering if it flies into the air pretty easily (and therefore I'd mask some more).

Website says it's great for doing touch ups if you scratch it or damage your cladding. If this is really true, this is the stuff I want!

Did you find any areas where you had to go back and "touch up" by spraying just in a certain small area?

Does the stuff really just blend into itself quite readily or do you have be really careful about hovering over one area too long? If it dries so quickly, I'd think this may not be too much of an issue??

Is it really a MATTE or SATIN finish? I'd say SATIN has a small amount of shine to it, whereas MATTE is completely flat. What would you say it is (IN PERSON) vs the pics we're looking at?

Thanks a ton!!

gees, thats ALOT of questions, lol

PittVXr
10/08/2010, 11:37 AM
Can any original owners tell us how close this comes to the original color of the cladding? Honestly this is how I imagined it looked. If this Gatorback can survive a northeast winter, I'll be impressed.

Luna X
10/08/2010, 12:08 PM
There is just as much prep work to put the Gatorback stuff on as to spray the cladding with a basecoat/clearcoat... I'll stick with the bc/cc... it has proven UV protection.

samneil2000
10/08/2010, 12:23 PM
There is just as much prep work to put the Gatorback stuff on as to spray the cladding with a basecoat/clearcoat... I'll stick with the bc/cc... it has proven UV protection.

Do you think that would adhere to the cladding as well as or even better than with the GB coating? Would you need flex agent and adhesive promoter to paint the cladding?

Luna X
10/08/2010, 02:56 PM
Do you think that would adhere to the cladding as well as or even better than with the GB coating? Would you need flex agent and adhesive promoter to paint the cladding?

You wouldn't need any flex agent, but yes, I usually do spray one coat of adhesion promoter before paint.

Another thing I like about bc/cc is that the color and gloss is totally up to the customer.... any color, any degree of sheen ;)

mike nomy
10/08/2010, 03:24 PM
Looks good

Here:

Before

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/medium/IMG_00442.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/medium/IMG_00462.JPG

AFTER
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/medium/DSC_00113.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/medium/DSC_0010.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/medium/DSC_0015.JPG

yo dude thanks for posting these up! much appreciated!

mike nomy
10/08/2010, 03:26 PM
You wouldn't need any flex agent, but yes, I usually do spray one coat of adhesion promoter before paint.

Another thing I like about bc/cc is that the color and gloss is totally up to the customer.... any color, any degree of sheen ;)

well if yer going for OEM finish on the cladding, GB looks completely OEM. slight slight satin finish, but no matter how close u look, it doesn't look like a "top coat" like a BC/CC might.... it is "one" with the cladding.

Luna X
10/08/2010, 03:33 PM
I wonder how long it will take before it starts fading out?

Ascinder
10/08/2010, 08:24 PM
I wonder how long it will take before it starts fading out?

I doubt they're going to engineer a product like this and not think: "Oh my, shouldn't we maybe add some kind of UV inhibitor or use a base material that is inherently UV resistant?":rollb: Their main claim to fame is restoring plastic sundamaged trim/cladding. How long would a company last whose product fails to do what they advertise. Word of mouth is going to make or break them.

From the Gatorback website:

Q:What exactly do you mean by long-lasting?
A: Unlike any other treatments available until now, the GatorBack coating will not wear off, weather or fade. Obviously, reasonable care is required in keeping the plastic surfaces clean, and there are contaminants that will affect the appearance (exposure to acid rain, rail dust, fall-out). However, in general, this is truly a one-and-done product. There should be no need for further applications of any kind.

I'm confident it'll hold up.

mike nomy
10/08/2010, 08:38 PM
wow i really stirred up a debate!

mike nomy
10/08/2010, 08:52 PM

Did it run at all?

Thanks a ton!!

i forgot to answer yer pamphlet of questions lol.
basically it goes on just like spraypaint. smooth even back and fourth motion. don;t stop in any one spot, common sense. it looks kinda funky at first when it lands on the cladding but it quickly smooths out, almost dissapears... donesn't really look too smooth at first, but as soon as it dries, it looks perfect. 2 smooth coats are more than enough to look good. 1 coat is good, but i was always told 2 lighter coas is always better than 1 heavy coat.
it didn't ran at all, but once or twice, as the nozzle got a lil clogged towards the end, a few drops spit out onto the cladding. i just dabbed it off and then after a minute, resprayed over that arean there was absolutely NO evidence that anything ever may have went wrong.... because it didn't ,lol. but i did find that after a few minutes of spraying, it's best to turn the can upside down n clear out the nozzle with a few spritz'...
it did not pool up around the torx holes, it just flowed all over evenly.
if u can use a spray can, u can do this..... quick, even stokes, back and forth, side to side, sometimes up n down where needed. i di under the cladding, the gas tank, the wheel wells.... as long as u prep it with some denatured alcohol, u should have no issues at all.
and as far as the overspray, although it was a sunny warm day, it was pretty breezy, def not idle spraying weather, but i went for it anyway. the only overspray i got was on the hood a little while spraying the mirror housings, but then again, i let my buddy mask off that area, so.....
and the overspray wiped right off with a rag n some denatured alcohol. FYI, any paint, finish, sealer can be removed for upto a few days after over spray is found, with denatured alcohol or oven cleaner spray.... with no damage to the under lying finish, so a lil breeze is no worries.

hope all that helped u!

VX KAT
10/08/2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the detail, it's really clear now...I know I can do this! :thanx:
Since I had a bad experience with the R/R (probably due to inadequate surface prep as best we can figure...or my cladding is possessed...which we haven't ruled out yet!).
I'm really going to research this and read up on the Avalanche forum to see if any talk about bad outcomes or problems over time.

If anybody already knows of any problems, give me a heads up, please.

Luna...I still won't do anything until we get together and you can look at it.

RIff- Let us know if you've tried your TS-1 yet??

atilla_the_fun
10/08/2010, 09:22 PM
I've looked at the avalanche forums, and other than complaining about their fading cladding (8 months after purchase its already light gray!) they don't say anything bad about the gatorback. It seems to really work. I'm pretty sure this will cover the gas stains and other cladding issues (PO glued a vanity plate to the front leaving four holes and some stains) as this seems paint like. I'll add this to my list of things to do when I have money.

stangri
10/09/2010, 01:17 AM
Riff -- maybe you should hold on to your TS-1 until I get the gatorback and we can do both cars at the same time and make comparison shots. :)

Scott Larson
10/09/2010, 07:14 AM
Just a thought...for anyone wondering what thier cladding looked like when new, just remove a piece and look at the back side. Protected from sun and weather, it will show its "true color".

crotchrocket
10/09/2010, 07:16 AM
Well, i just use linsead oil on mine about every 3 washes and it looks brand new all the time :D

Luna X
10/09/2010, 08:01 AM
I doubt they're going to engineer a product like this and not think: "Oh my, shouldn't we maybe add some kind of UV inhibitor or use a base material that is inherently UV resistant?":rollb: Their main claim to fame is restoring plastic sundamaged trim/cladding. How long would a company last whose product fails to do what they advertise. Word of mouth is going to make or break them.

From the Gatorback website:

I'm confident it'll hold up.

I asked that question after trying to look at their MSDS page... which gave zero indication of it's UV properties... ;)

Also, keep in mind, this product was designed as a band-aid for GM products (who, if you recall, needed billions of dollars handed to them to stay in business)

things that make you go, hmmmmm...

rowhard
10/09/2010, 11:13 AM

Wells ours is dark grey and GB was the GM approved fix till TS-1 came out

vt_maverick
10/11/2010, 12:01 PM
Wells ours is dark grey and GB was the GM approved fix till TS-1 came out

So that means GM thought TS-1 was a better solution than GB? Or as Luna implies, might this have been a sales/marketing move to get consumers away from "dead-end" products like GB (in other words, products without a follow-on sales model)?

cdvntx
07/16/2011, 04:41 PM
Did wonders on mine. It's black and shiny.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/CDV5810/Vehicles/1999%20VehiCROSS/IMG_0573_1.jpg

vt_maverick
07/18/2011, 05:28 PM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/CDV5810/Vehicles/1999%20VehiCROSS/IMG_0573_1.jpg

But how long does it last? That's really the point of GB, Refinish Restorer, Showroom New, etc.

VX KAT
07/18/2011, 05:59 PM

But how long does it last? That's really the point of GB, Refinish Restorer, Showroom New, etc.

He apparently used "Eagle One Shine Gel" (mentioned that detail in the "title" of his post, and when you quote it, it does not carry over). This thread seemed to be more focused on the more "permanent" type cladding products like GatorBack, TS-1, Restore/Refinish, Showroom New.

So IVI, how's this product do in rain, or how long does it last? Does it collect much dust?

vt_maverick
07/18/2011, 06:58 PM
He apparently used "Eagle One Shine Gel" (mentioned that detail in the "title" of his post, and when you quote it, it does not carry over). This thread seemed to be more focused on the more "permanent" type cladding products like GatorBack, TS-1, Restore/Refinish, Showroom New.

I know - how is this different than what I wrote? :confused: ;) :p

crager34
07/19/2011, 05:47 AM
:confused:What does DOPE mean these days?

Looking to score?

:ot:

cdvntx
07/19/2011, 10:37 AM
I have done it just once and it has lasted a week so far. I'll see what happens after a wash.

circmand
07/19/2011, 11:59 AM
Looking to score?

:ot:

It means "I am a middle aged white guy trying to look like a cool cat"

cdvntx
01/13/2012, 07:32 AM

So IVI, how's this product do in rain, or how long does it last? Does it collect much dust?

It lasted many weeks with weekly automatic car car washings. It goes on quick. It does not collect dust.

JAMAS
01/13/2012, 08:25 AM

I have some questions about Showroom New's Permanence. IF I rub the cladding with a dry or dry-ish terry cloth towel......I get some black residue. A recent polish of the vx that hit the door handles (by accident) removed some of the black. Wet terry cloth, towel, sponge....anything wet....doesnt remove the black.

It still look a million times better than it did. Just some thoughts...

disasterlady
04/10/2012, 08:02 AM
Just wondered if anyone that used that Gatorback on their cladding, can say how long it has lasted for them? Or any other so-called permanent fixs?

I used the Forever Black and it lasts about 6-12 months, does chip off from road sands but found that lacquer thinner removes it or at least smooths out the edes of the chips and then I re-applied the FB, seems to streak in hot weather applications, had to do many coats before it finally looked really great... dark and very shiny black.

Someone had suggested that Black spray paint for plastics ( Rusoleums? ) and I stripped the old FB off and tried it... not as shiny and does seem to attract dust, so I may cover it with FB.