PDA

View Full Version : Rear Cladding Removal

Buffy
10/03/2010, 07:54 AM
I would like to remove the rear cladding to do some rust proofing while I am working on my VX. The manual states to remove the side cladding which is held on by screws, double sided tape and clips. I searched for the tone how to but did not see anything that detailed how to remove the hidden screws other than have small hands which rules me out. I really hate to take the side panels off but I really need to get the back cladding off to address some rust. Is the double sided tape of a special kind or can any off the shelf tape be used? How do the clips work, can I just pry out or is it a shift sideways kind of thing? Anyone have a picture of the back side of the cladding and of the clips? Now if someone could give me a detailed how to get at those darned screws that would be great! But then again is it twice as hard to get them back on given the limited space???

Luna X
10/03/2010, 08:06 AM
You don't have to take the side cladding all the way off. But you do need to take half of the hadrware off starting from the back. Then you can hold it back enough to get to the screws for the rear bumper.
Now, what makes it more interesting is I hope you have a set of Torx drivers... the 2 screws are Torx (look like little stars) I don't remember the size off the top of my head, sorry.
As far as the double sided tape... you can't go wrong with Scotch Brand. (you can find it at HomeDepot/Lowes.... If the side cladding sits down flat against the body, you may not even have to worry about it anyway.
good luck!

Ldub
10/03/2010, 08:26 AM
This type of ratcheting bit driver makes the job much easier...:_wrench:

http://images.drillspot.com/pimages/362/36269_300.jpg

Sears, Harbor Freight, & most parts stores have them.

rowhard
10/03/2010, 10:34 AM
This type of ratcheting bit driver makes the job much easier...:_wrench:

http://images.drillspot.com/pimages/362/36269_300.jpg

Sears, Harbor Freight, & most parts stores have them.

a variation on this is the ratchet wrench then a 1/4" drive torx

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=206965

file:///C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png

Buffy
10/03/2010, 04:48 PM
I have the torx bits and have a way to use a small ratchet with a 1/4 inch socket. Now do I have to cut the double sided tape along the top to pull the panel back? Also, is there a clip in this area that I have to pop loose??

RamAirZ
10/03/2010, 06:27 PM
I didn't have to remove any tape, I've had mine off and on a few times. Took out the rear 2 maybe 3 screws and the lower screws underneath and held it back enough to squeeze my hand and a small ratchet with the torx bit socket (the bit has a 1/4" socket receiver built in so it saves space compared to using an actual socket and putting the bit inside that).

tom4bren
10/04/2010, 06:03 AM
I found Tone's instructions adequate for the job. Is the copy you used the same as this?

CowboyErik
10/04/2010, 10:08 AM
Buffy, post some picks after you get it apart, I got to do the same job this winter! THX!

Buffy
10/04/2010, 01:02 PM
I did not find that document, thank you very much! That really helps!!

Buffy
10/04/2010, 01:05 PM
Buffy, post some picks after you get it apart, I got to do the same job this winter! THX!

I've been taking pictures all along. I just need to get them off the camera and post some of the latest progress.