PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger w/snorkle?

AlaskaVX
09/03/2003, 05:36 PM
Well I am going to buy a drivers side fender from Bantan and see if I can't make this work. The plan (right now) is to use the existing setup (box) and run tubing through the inside of fender then come out in front of the mirror and run it up just where the door won't hit it. I know that there might be problems thats why I'm posting! My concern is, will this slow the air too much for a supercharged engine? Do you guys have any better ideas on how to make this smoother? I would like to run the tube straight out the side next to the brake reservoir so it doesn't have to actually u-turn before it gets to the engine, but is that "inner fender" replacable? Does it just bolt on, or is it welded to anything (firewall?)? How much is the "inner fender"? Is there such a thing as a cone filter in a box? I want this to work as a cold air intake also so I want it as cool as possible. My idea with the "cone in a box" is that there would be something like this, I think thats the best cool air flow you can get, just run it inline with the tube, as very roughly
shown below :*** ______
------------------| cone \--------
tube to engine<---| filter <| tube to snorkle
------------------|_____/--------
^
cone box

Dallas4u
09/04/2003, 11:17 PM
Alaska, are you doing this to actually use it (run the VX through high water without worry)? If so, there are other things you need to take into account as well, like the alternator.

AlaskaVX
09/05/2003, 10:53 AM
Yah I know theres other thing to do, but I do one thing at a time. I have already had it submurged over the hood and it went through fine. As soon as I got out of the hole I checked my air filter, and it was dry, I was shocked as hell (since the water was nearly window high) but decided I really need a snorkle for some of the driving I do, most of the other parts can take a little water for a couple seconds, but once you suck that water in your done. Do you know all that would need to be waterproofed? I don't really know what all needs to be done, but I know its a lot.

AlaskaVX
09/08/2003, 04:29 PM
bump

SGT.BATGUANO
09/08/2003, 05:48 PM
Did you search "waterproof" or "snorkle" ? I seem to remember the subject coming up before. Try that damned slow Vmag with a search also. What's up with Vmag anyway, they tryin' to get rid of the site by slowing it to a crawl?

MrCrowley
09/08/2003, 07:06 PM
I would reccommend an ARB trooper snorkel design as the box and intake are identical. As well as engine, etc. The big difference is the angle of the fender, and the steep rake of the windshield. I believe the snorkel mounts where the restrictive elbow we all know about is located, and comes out- runs along the top of the fender, and up the windshield. The problem I forsee is 1: the VX fender as a kind of "double bump" instead of a 90 degree steady "bend" like the Trooper fender 2: the angle is a little more wrapped on the side of the VX- less vertical and 3: The windsheld is laid waaaaay back vs. the trooper. But maybe you'll find a way to adapt these issues. Take a look at the Thailand rally photos also. It looks as if they took the snorkel down in the fender and came out the cladding. No corrosion, issues on cut metal, and as we all know the cladding is a little cheaper and not "color coordinated". I also like the way it picks up air backwards for less chance of water entry during splashes. Keep it up Tonbo House! LOL Good luck!

AlaskaVX
09/09/2003, 02:50 PM
SGT. Batguano I started a thread back on Vmag but didn't get much info.

Mr. Crowley, First off thanks for your reply, I plan on buying an "extra" fender to do this with. The Tonbo House one would be fine if I was just to be racing it, but I'm going for the look too. I plan on coming out of the fender right above the 3.5L logo, this would just look clean, I think. And itr also looks flat enough to put a tube through. I think I am going to have to face a scoop forward in order to kind of force air in there, since I am afraid that this might mess with the S/C'ed engine. I don't really "splash" anyway, I just cruise my way through as not to flood it. I'd like to be able to turn it around just in case I find a place to splash some water or go cruising across the silt flats, but for the most part I go through deep water instead of puddles.

If I was to have the snorkle face foreward is there anyway to prevent rain/splash from going in there? Does that require another air filter? Would that hinder the air flow too much for a S/Ced engine? thats my main question.

Moncha
09/10/2003, 04:57 PM
I don't remember too much talk about snorkles you may try the 4x4 Wire (http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB68). They are sure to have something..

I've re-indexed the search tables here as I've seen some complaints that the search was not working well..

MrCrowley
09/10/2003, 05:18 PM
The thing I am thinking of for water evacuation would be kind of like a catch can in the fender or something that would open on the bottom of the pipe where it is hidden somewhere. With a small opening, it shouldnt draw air out of it, but let water run into it. Kind of like those boxes on a Honda people rip out in front of the front wheel. Maybe a small one someone could donate.

SGT.BATGUANO
09/10/2003, 06:16 PM
Why don't you just fabricate a turndown and/ or a cage and ball , just like a real snorkler's snorkle.

SNORKLE;)

AlaskaVX
09/11/2003, 05:07 PM
Found some good waterproofing info.!

AlaskaVX
10/16/2003, 03:03 PM
Posted in rescent thread

Originally posted by AnalogVX
The hose is a breather for the front diff/axle.
Right on, I didn't know we had that! I was looking into waterproofing and making the under side breath higher was something that was on my list to do. Is there a breather for anything else? In other words do I have to make the transmission and trasfer case breathers? Does the TOD have a breather?

Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas on how to reroute or somewhat waterproof the alternator?
Thanks in advance,
Alan