PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Colors '10

pbkid
09/29/2010, 06:54 PM
(dont worry about the date, i just put something in the future so that we could do some planning)
well, im not gonna lie. im a little surprised with all us colorado VX'ers that no one has stepped up to organize something.

and especially with all the new colorado members that have been showing up lately it would be great to meet some of them and let them get a feel for the family.

so, who's in???

i dont really care where or when, just let me know basically.
i would guess somewhere near denver since its central to everyone, but if the mountain guys are in than maybe somewhere near castle rock or north colorado springs?

MSHardeman
09/30/2010, 07:37 AM
Jack, are you thinking just a meet and greet (maybe eat too), or are you looking to wheel somewhere? The Transfer Trail over here between Glenwood and Vail is pretty nice, but it is where Vicki got her scar's from. It's a long day, but a pretty easy drive. Long haul for the Denverite's though.

Drive through Rocky Mountain National Park?

pbkid
10/03/2010, 09:25 PM
well im down for pretty much whatever everyone else is thinking....and hopefully the Yeti will be back on the road soon..... probably not before the meet, but soon ;)

so, ill be driving my acura, so wherever you guys want is fine.

the only exception i could make would be if you guys wanted to wheel somewhere near the Yeti's current location...Mt. Herman road out of monument is a great low key trail (no trail badges unless you are trying to get em, its a fire service road)
and it links monument to south springs, makes for a really pretty drive.

plus i'd be pulling for that location because i could either sneak the Yeti over there (uninsured) or trailer it :naughty:

but of course if its too far for the mountainites than im down for whatever.

VX KAT
10/03/2010, 10:02 PM
Is a date any firmer yet cuz I'm passing thru Denver x2 on a road trip starting next week, so I might end up being in the right place at the right time???

RallyDude
10/04/2010, 12:44 AM
I think we're going to be late with fall colors in the mountains. It's either peaking or already past peak in most mountain areas. I don't want to spoil everyone's parade, I just want to let you know. Southern mountains will be last, but I doubt we want to go that far.

I live in Idaho Springs if someone wants to pick me up, as my VX probably won't be ready yet. Actually we could meet here if you want, close to Denver, but still in the moutains, and I know of a lot of good trails around here. I guess it matters how much highway or how much wheelin' everyone wants to do. I've got the CO Gazetter and we could even probably wait till that date to determine our best route, dependent on conditions. Everyone's welcome to grill out here, or I know of picnic area that's real close in a grove of aspens.

It would still be a nice ride and if winds stay low, we should be able to get some late season action, probably better at lower elevations. Rather than the 13th, I might suggest this coming weekend if we want to see the colors still attached to the trees.

VX KAT
10/04/2010, 09:55 AM
and hopefully the Yeti will be back on the road soon..... probably not before the meet, but soon ;)

what happened to the Yeti?

VX KAT
10/04/2010, 10:00 AM
I live in Idaho Springs if someone wants to pick me up, as my VX probably won't be ready yet. Actually we could meet here if you want, close to Denver, but still in the moutains, and I know of a lot of good trails around here.

Dang RallyDude, I never realized Idaho Springs was so close to Denver....I'll be on 70 Westbound passing thru there Thursday 10/21, sometime around lunchtime. If ya want to meet for a quick "meet & greet" just let me know!:thumbup:

RallyDude
10/04/2010, 06:14 PM
It's close in proximity, but it definitely has a small town feel, certainly not another Denver suberb. I think there's only about 10,000 people in the entire county. When I first moved here, there was only one stoplight.

Sounds good KAT, we can compare our identical tires. Wow, I'll get to see my first live foxfire. And you'll get to meet Elvis and maybe red cat, my resident four leggers. So do you have business in the area or just visiting?

Any other ideas on the meet? I wish the VX could be ready, but if I can get a ride, I'll tag along.

pbkid
10/05/2010, 07:18 PM
idaho springs is fine with me, its beautiful there.

but i would rather keep off the trails if we go up there because i would be driving the acura :( so im stuck to paved roads (my radiator support is only about 3 inches off the ground)

whatever day works for everyone else im down with, but afternoons are definately much better for me.

sue- i took a leap of faith and changed the rear end out to 4.88's while i was making good money, then i stopped making good money and i cant scrap together enough to get the front done, so its 2wd for now :(
but, im sifting through old VX stuff and selling it off on craigslist to try to save up $700 more for the front end ;) then its ready to go again.

so, its still running great, but its only 2wd, and if im gonna drive something 2wd then ill take the acura that gets 30mpg instead of the runner that gets 18mpg (i can only afford to insure one vehicle at a time)

VXorado
10/05/2010, 08:08 PM
I'm interested in attending depending on the date. My VX has trashed CVs (need new inner cups) so I can't do any 4 wheeing for a while but would be down to meet up.

pbkid
10/06/2010, 08:48 PM
lets try to meet up while sue is in town....

sue- get us some dates and we'll set up a dinner or something.

VX KAT
10/06/2010, 11:11 PM
lets try to meet up while sue is in town....
sue- get us some dates and we'll set up a dinner or something.

That'd be great Jack!
I head outta here Monday, then Tuesday 10/12 I'll be driving up from Durango, coming up 160 to 285, staying over by the airport. Planning on eating at "The Cherry Cricket" over by Cherry Creek...heard it was fun, checkin' out the burgers. Anybody's welcome to join me there.

Then on the way back home...
Wednesday 10/20, I be in Cheyenne for the night.
Then Thursday 10/21 Cheyenne into Denver on 25 South.
Then 70 West - Stopping by to meet RallyDude in Idaho Springs.
Could meet up there?

Then later on to Glenwood Springs - Meeting up with Mark Hardeman around there. Staying in Carbondale for the night.

Let me know if this works, it'd be great to see some more VXers! I have some flexibility in my dates.

vt_maverick
10/07/2010, 06:43 AM
Make sure you bring a lot of pics back from this excursion Sue, sounds like you'll have a nice montage of pics to bring home. Hmmm... I wonder if you're the first member to ever take a cross-country tour of VX's? (Not counting Moab of course.)

pbkid
10/07/2010, 07:17 PM
anytime after 5 or 6 works for me... any day of the week...
my b-day is the 13th, and we have some plans around then, but we can figure something out.

sue- send me a pm with your number, maybe whit and i will try to meet up with you in cherry creek on the 12th. its only about 30 miles from where i live ;)

RallyDude
10/08/2010, 05:14 AM
Just went on the peak-to-peak highway to Nederland a few days ago. It's already past peak, but still beautiful, but it's almost over.

samneil2000
10/08/2010, 06:25 AM
Just went on the peak-to-peak highway to Nederland a few days ago. It's already past peak, but still beautiful, but it's almost over.

I was in Boulder for a week long training class years ago and drove up to Nederland. Man is that a beautiful place or what?!?! I so need to make it back to that area soon...

pbkid
10/09/2010, 03:05 PM
alright folks, since we cant make up our minds.....

i will be meeting up with sue on the 12th for a 'show n shine' type meet at the cherry cricket if anyone else would like to join, your more than welcome!

second- i will also be doing a 'colorado colors' type drive from 'dakan road' to 'garden of the gods' along rampart range road. (as long as weather permits) on 10/24

the start of the trail would be directly west of castle rock, co off highway 105. its a small country road called Dakan road, which hooks up with rampart range rd. i will head south from there along rampart range rd down to garden of the gods in colorado springs. i hope someone can join me as its a great drive thats very low key, in fact im pretty sure i could do it in my 2wd acura... so dont worry your not going to beat up your VX, its just a beautiful drive ;)

Mile High VX
10/09/2010, 03:22 PM
What time on the 24th?

RallyDude
10/09/2010, 08:03 PM
PBKid, glad somebody made a decision. Right now I don't have a car I can drive, so I won't be able to meet in Denver or Castle Rock trip, but that's ok, it sounds like a blast. I'll probably fire up the BBQ when Sue visits on the 21st, and anyone else is welcome to join as well. There's great twisty paved and also fire roads, so we can do whatever we want to. Or just hang and have some beer and brats.

Glad to see we finally got something going, rather than just talk. Next summer's going to be different. I'll be begging for trail buddies.

pbkid
10/10/2010, 09:09 PM
earl- some time in the afternoon, i have a wedding on the 23rd in pueblo, so i wont be back till midday on the 24th.
but im not scared of the dark, i always like to get some use out of my lighting anyhow ;)
although, i doubt we would hit the dark anyhow, its probably only about a 2-3 hour drive max.... could be faster or slower depending on how many times we stop for photo ops or whatnot.

rallydude- im happy to be your wheeling buddy anytime. i should be based out of denver next summer so it would be plenty local for me.

GeneralGarza
10/11/2010, 03:34 PM
i will be meeting up with sue on the 12th for a 'show n shine' type meet at the cherry cricket if anyone else would like to join, your more than welcome!
at what time?

pbkid
10/11/2010, 05:57 PM
at what time?

5:30-6:30 start time. you think your going to be able to make it?

GeneralGarza
10/12/2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah ill make it today!

mdwyer
10/12/2010, 09:41 PM
Yeah ill make it today!

Glad you made it! It was nice to meet you and Kat!

pbkid
10/12/2010, 10:01 PM
it was great to see the fam tonight... sorry to dissapoint with my non-VX-ness.......
maybe one day again ;)

hopefully the rest of the meets ill be able to bring the Yeti :naughty: (at least its a 4wd SUV)

pbkid
10/12/2010, 10:08 PM
Rally- what time is your BBQ?

Mile High VX
10/15/2010, 03:44 PM
Anyone take pics of this get together with the KAT?

VX KAT
10/16/2010, 06:51 AM
Anyone take pics of this get together with the KAT?

Yeah, I took some but haven't had time to download them yet...ya know I'm SOOOO busy....:laugho: I think I'll figure out er um, I mean have time to do it today or tomorrow.....I'm carrying the iPad (not a full blown computer) so I gotta figure out how to do it....:rollo: I'm [B][I][U]in Fargo now, had a beautiful drive up here! Used 1 1/4 qt in 1600 miles. [B][I][U]Only time mine uses oil is on long highway drives....Check yer oil all you noobes!!

pbkid
10/17/2010, 06:24 PM
no takers on a mountain drive??? on the 24th?

vx2darescue
10/18/2010, 02:27 PM
Count 3 of us in :) I have new suspention parts to test out :)

VRox
10/18/2010, 04:11 PM
Late to see this but I would come if something is set up. Weekends best for me but will do what I can to make whatever you set.

pbkid
10/18/2010, 07:14 PM
Count 3 of us in :) I have new suspention parts to test out :)

Late to see this but I would come if something is set up. Weekends best for me but will do what I can to make whatever you set.

alright, lets keep it set up for the 24th. ill get my Runner insured by then so we will be good to go....

you should both send me your #'s so we can coordinate (and anyone else who would like to join)

pbkid
10/23/2010, 02:22 PM
Hey guys I have bad news. I couldnt get the runner insured in time for our trip. I really apologize but I'm gonna have to bail. Im really bummed but there isn't much I can do about it for now.hopefully we can get out before snow. If not then beginning of next year.good luck and we'll talk soon.

VX KAT
10/23/2010, 03:35 PM
We got a few VXers together on 10/12 in Denver when I was passing thru town.
General Garza (Sam)
mdwyer (Michael)
VX KAT (Sue)
pbkid (Jack)...but VX-less
Had a good time at "The Cherry Cricket".

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_4616.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_4621.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_4617.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_4611.JPG

Triathlete
10/23/2010, 03:54 PM
Almost didn't recognize Jack all dressed up and all!:bwgy:

VX KAT
10/23/2010, 04:05 PM
Almost didn't recognize Jack all dressed up and all!:bwgy:

yeah....and wearing real PANTS too!:_wtf:

Triathlete
10/23/2010, 04:10 PM
yeah....and wearing real PANTS too!:_wtf:

I guess that just depends on your definition of "real pants".:bwgy:

Mile High VX
10/23/2010, 05:14 PM
Looks like a great time...too bad I was in WA/OR...:(

Michael's VX looks great as always, but it apprears that Sam had the most fun prior to the meet...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Moncha
10/24/2010, 07:59 AM
You all look great, Sue, I'm so sorry to miss your passing through and I'm sorry I missed this whole deal. Between mandatory OT working on multiple homicides and teaching at our local community college, I just haven't had much time to do much of anything.

We're coming to a close on a couple cases and I'm hoping (Fingers Crossed) to have a break before trials start.

I'll get off my butt and participate more soon..

pbkid
10/24/2010, 10:01 AM
You all look great, Sue, I'm so sorry to miss your passing through and I'm sorry I missed this whole deal. Between mandatory OT working on multiple homicides and teaching at our local community college, I just haven't had much time to do much of anything.

We're coming to a close on a couple cases and I'm hoping (Fingers Crossed) to have a break before trials start.

I'll get off my butt and participate more soon..
Im down in pueblo right now actually and I'm pretty sure I saw you on us50 yesterday.

Moncha
10/24/2010, 07:41 PM
Yep, out running quick errands and dropping off Ms Moncha's ride for fixing

vt_maverick
10/24/2010, 09:25 PM
Great pics Sue, both here and in the other thread. I would LOVE to do a trip out west in the VX, so much beautiful scenery out there. Livin' the dream!

(And yes I know I could have it all by going to Moab! Just have to find another two weeks of leave somewhere...)

pbkid
11/04/2010, 05:40 PM
ok, i got my 4Runner insured on tuesday...

anyone interested in a scenic drive and maybe dinner sometime?? its still not 4wd yet, but im working on that one too ;)