PDA

View Full Version : Window Tint

omegavx
09/03/2003, 03:11 PM
Ok, so I'm getting the window regulator replaced some time next week. Once that's done it will be time to get the window's tinted. My question is what types of tint have you all used and do you recommend any brand in particular or any I should stay away from?

Right now I'm looking at Llumar and Solar Gard. Both seem to be of pretty high quality, but when I was getting a estimate on both, the Solar gard guy said that it tends to fade alittle while the Llumar guy said it didn't fade at all and showed me 3 of the trucks in his parking lot with it installed. Anyone have experience with either brand?

Finally, about how much did you all spend getting yours tinted? I'm getting quotes between $165 and $200, is this about right?

WormGod
09/03/2003, 03:48 PM
The last time I had my windows done on my VX (had to peel them off because state troopers didnt agree with them), a local tint shop did them all for $200 even. I need to get them done again, but lighter I guess. :(

itsaysjack
09/03/2003, 04:51 PM
i paid $175....i have "limo" black on all the windows except driver and passenger window....which are a medium to lighter shade to keep the "state troopers" off my *****. they look great....
mine were done by a mobile service, they came to me and did it in my garage. i dont know what brand the tint is... but it looks great.

Heraclid
09/03/2003, 05:17 PM
I had Llumar on my Dodge Avenger and from about May 1996 to April 2003 I had no quality problems whatsoever. It did get screwed up on the passenger side around 9/11 from me having a US flag thing clipped on there for a while (vibration took the tint off a bit), and that was my own fault. It came with a lifetime guarantee from the installer. Not sure about the specifics without pulling the paperwork, but mine was a sort of silvery grey tint that was more reflective than black (obviously visually but also heat-wise). There is a pic in my gallery that shows it. However, I would go black with any VX if it were up to me. As I didn't have the black Llumar (more subject to noticeable fade and can turn purple) on the Avenger I can't speak to that, but from my experience they make a good window film and I feel confident recommending it.

BTW, I used Advanced Auto Glass and I didn't think they were national but maybe they are as I've seen the same name way up north. On the Avenger the whole back and sides was only $100 plus $10 for a front strip at the top of the windshield. I'm thinking about doing the VX but likewise the window problem has to be corrected FOR GOOD first.

omegavx
09/03/2003, 06:47 PM
itsaysjack - I was thinking about doing that exact same thing, limo (5%) on the back and about 20% on the front. By chance can you post a pic or two of yours so I know what it would look like?

Or if somone else has this same setup could you post so I can check it out?

I do know the llumar guy said with limo you can't really see out at all during the night so I'm not sure if I want to do that or not. Have you had any problems with it being so dark?

XCross69
09/03/2003, 07:07 PM
When I first got my VX the previous owner had some of the darkest tint I have ever seen on the window, ALL THE WAY AROUND! I lived with it for awhile then took it and had it all redone. I got the LLumar because it came with a lifetime warranty. The back windows are 5% while the door windows are of legal % (35%?). The original looked really nice, but at night I couldn't see anything so it had to go. The new 5%, though still dark, I can see alot more. The cost was $250, they did a good job but pick-E me, it could have been better!

omegavx
09/03/2003, 07:27 PM
Thanks XCross69, I think I'm gonna go with the llumar. Any chance you can post a closeup pic or two of the side/back of yours so I can see how it looks? I keep going back and forth between doing the limo (5%) in the back and doing 20%, but I can't decide what it will actually look like having 2 windows a considerable amount lighter then the rest.

XCross69
09/04/2003, 08:10 AM
Omegavx....
I will try to snap some shots of the tint today and get them on here for ya!! I think you will be totally satisfied with the Llumar!!

Cptnmorgan
09/04/2003, 11:13 AM
I have Llumar on mine with the 5% all the way around except the door windows. This is the second vehicle I have had this on and absolutely love it. NO fade, NO purple. Looks great and I can see through it no matter what time of day. The 5% on the back window is awesome to keep peoples blinding lights out of your rearview mirror!!!! Paid $250!!!;Dr;

XCross69
09/04/2003, 04:18 PM
Here are some pics of my tinted windows....the pics didn't come out very big but I hope they help ya some?? !

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/357vx2-med.jpg http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/357vx3-med.jpg

omegavx
09/04/2003, 10:34 PM
That's like mini-mevx :) kinda hard to tell the difference between the fronts and the sides :( Thanks for trying though. I talked to two more places today and they both did llumar, so I think I'm going that way. They all seem to have used it for a really long time and have had no complaints at all with quality fading/bubbles etc.

Dallas4u
09/04/2003, 11:09 PM
Mine came with some nice tint, and is still in really good shape, EXCEPT... the area where they pasted the "As is... No Warranty" paper. The two pasted sides of the paper are still stuck to the inside of the tint. I'm not sure how to get it off, and I have just left it alone for, well, 3 years in November.

I guess I'll just get it re-done at some point.

Cptnmorgan
09/05/2003, 06:11 AM
If you look at my gallery, the picture with the chuck wagon in it shows fairly decent the side windows in regard to the windshield. Keep in mind the door windows are texas legal limit (like 30%) and everything else is 5% Limo.

- s a i n t -
09/05/2003, 09:50 AM
You can check my gallery for some shots of my VX with tinted windows. I have Llumar (have had it on all my vehicles throughout the years). I went with 20% all the way around (nothing on the windshield). It's actually illegal but here in Arizona where it's so dang hot, no one really seems to care. By the way, I can see fine at night with the 20%.

Hope this helps!
- s a i n t -

omegavx
09/05/2003, 02:42 PM
Thanks -saint- and cptnmorgan, thats exactly what I needed. I think I'm going to go with 20% all around. It definatlly looks dark enough and since I'm not really sure about the limo (definatlly illegal here) being to dark at night I think its a safe bet to go with the 20%.

BTW, thanks to everyone who helped on this post. It's really hard to make a choice when there are so many selections and your not quite sure what has worked really well before.

Cptnmorgan
09/05/2003, 04:16 PM
Omega,

Here in Texas the only windows that have to be legal limit are any windows from the drivers area forward. Meaning the front door windows have to be legal limit, and anything else can be blacked out if you so desire. I am assuming that is the same everywhere as Kansas, and Missouri are the same also. I would at least put 5-10% on the back window just to relieve the stress of headlights in your mirror. You will never have to readjust your mirror again!!!:D

I have absolutely no problems seeing through the 5% at night!!! Especially with all the lights around here in DFW. Where's dem dadgome stars at????:rolleyes:

Good luck!!!

WyrreJ
09/05/2003, 06:15 PM
Tint laws vary WIDELY by state. The (legal) tint my wife got in Dallas was totally illegal in California and for the first couple of years even a medical waiver wasn't sufficient, fortunately they changed that law.

Anyway, there are a bunch of places on the net that break the laws down by individual state, here's one which ought to be up to date, but don't hold me to it:

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/State%20Law%20Chart.htm

omegavx
09/05/2003, 08:49 PM
The legal limit here is 30%, they tolerate 20% all around, and usually 5% on the backs just depends on the cop and his mood for the day. According to actual law (its not really set in stone for suvs/trucks) 5% is against the law. I'm thinking if I just go with 20% all around I'll save on future headaches and I wont have to worry about 2 windows being considerably lighter then the others.

BTW, when I learned to drive I never flipped the rear view mirror up at night. So, I've never done it and probably never will so that's not an issue for me :)