PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I'm ready for the facepalm.

RallyDude
09/26/2010, 01:06 AM
I almost hate to even ask, but I know I want the feedback, so...

What do you all think of a Lambo door kit?

So far, all of my mods, mostly from the PO, have been fairly tasteful, other than a ratty looking faux carbon fiber hood insert. The big mods are a S/C, a multitude of a/v equipment (3 remotes), power sunroof, safari bar, roof cargo basket, fiberglass front and rear non-skid plates, hidden trailer hitch, steering wheel, tires/rims, with all the lights darkened and window tint. Plus I will soon add a winch to the front. So I'm not thinking of doing this to a stock VX, but a highly modified ride. I think you can officially call it a hot rod at this point.

I guess you can't call me a ricer for going with a Lambo door kit, so am I a pasta-er? Here's the link: http://www.scissor-doors.com/gullwingdoors.php
They call it a gullwing kit even though I wouldn't install it as such. I'm looking at the setup they have on a BMW 3 series coupe near the page bottom, with the Laguna Seca II stickers.

Let me also say that I mostly think these are for lambo wannabe's (did you notice the ridiculous 4 door models), but I've owned fifty or so vehicles over the years, and this is the only one I have ever even contemplated doing such. I think it wouldn't look too bad on a VX, and add to the obscurity factor. There is a functional reason why I would like them, but I first would like to hear people's opinions on the matter. So go ahead and flame away!

RallyDude
09/26/2010, 01:10 AM
Ok, I'll start.

What are you going to grow a really thin mustache, wear tight black pants, and a tight black mesh wife beater? Greasy hair and answer to Guido?

Really, I'm open to feedback, and almost expect it to be mostly negative. Bring it on!

IRONVIKING
09/26/2010, 01:15 AM
I say go ahead. Its your VX so do what ever you want to it.
I dont know anything about the company but I know some
of those kits are made better than others. They dont tend
to save any room in the parking lot most the time either.
But they look cool. I can see the VX as the type of Concept
with gull wing doors. Just post pics of the whole thing.
Id love to see pics of what youve already done too.

RallyDude
09/26/2010, 01:50 AM
I haven't uploaded any photos yet, but most of the mods the PO did. You can view Medman's gallery. I'll get around to posting once I make a few more mods.

This looked like the best kit out there. They CNC cut all the hinges out of thicker steel and have ball bearings on the moving parts and stronger gas shocks. Most of the kits are stamped and pricing runs from about $200 to several thousand dollars. They have been making them for years, and no one has had to replace the shocks unlike most kits that stress the shocks sideways and wear quickly as the parts are all cheaply stamped. Most of the kits out there are complete crap. OK for a show car that only gets driven a few weekends a year, but otherwise, I could see where you would have to constantly adjust them. I don't want a headache. Not what I'm looking at, but some of the ones that go mostly vertical, you would save a lot room in the parking lot. Maybe I need a fog maker as well, with the stereo cranked on the theme from 2001: a space oddysey, when I open the door. And of course, I always wear my mylar jumpsuit when I drive the VX.

I know I'll do what I want anyway, I just would like to hear some feedback, good or bad. It's a superficial mod, so I can take the abuse, I could buy a lot of gas with $700.

don moore
09/26/2010, 02:29 AM
just stay out of a parking garage.....

RallyDude
09/26/2010, 02:54 AM
I don't think that will be a problem. The true gull wing doors go really high, the ones that use the A-pillar as an axis don't go as high. I'm guessing a lot of parking structures are large enough for SUV's that rear door hinges up. Anyway, I'm 40 miles from the nearest parking structure, so I rarely park in them. But you are right, I would have to be careful, but the hinges I'm looking at stop at any point as long as the gas shocks are adjusted correctly.

Actually, I'm looking at don moore's victory in his sig above. It looks like he has the same pushbar.

etlsport
09/26/2010, 04:46 AM
http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/isuzu2007b/DSCF8630a.JPG

Luna X
09/26/2010, 07:37 AM
Our doors aren't exactly lightweight... you'll be replacing hinges quickly.

Wiring harnesses have to be lengthened. That's a whole lotta splicin' goin' on.

Sometimes new interior door panels have to be created to provide clearance past the fender.

Diogenes
09/26/2010, 09:12 AM
What they need to come up with next are hinges that permit both gull-wing and "normal" operation, so you have a choice about whether you're going to use a parking garage.. ;0)

Dio

VX KAT
09/26/2010, 10:38 AM
Ok, I'll start.

What are you going to grow a really thin mustache, wear tight black pants, and a tight black mesh wife beater? Greasy hair and answer to Guido?

RallyDude, yer scarin' me boy, yer talkin' to yerself!

I strongly support that anybody can do anything to their own vehicle...like, for example, Luna can remove his 4Hi/Lo lever, but dang, those lambo doors cost a ton of cha-ching, and "my" thoughts are how many other things "I" could do for that much money, and also, how it might increase the risk of theft. They'e not at all to "my" taste, but my taste is totally irrelevant,....... and yer still welcome here!

vt_maverick
09/26/2010, 10:56 AM
Take a look here... it'll give you a good idea of what's required wrt hinge strengthening, wire lengthening, etc.

http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/gullwing/gullwing.htm

Another pic of that VX from a lower angle:

http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/gullwing4/DSCF9012a.JPG

Now it's just my opinion, but this a seriously bad-*** mod. As Sue said it's super expensive, but it looks amazing in my opinion. Not something you want to do on some ricer Civic, but looks great on a semi-concept vehicle like the VX.

Kona-Vs
09/26/2010, 11:12 AM
I think it's cool It would get some big attention at any car show. When I look at it I think SUPER FLY :yeso:

Lizardmen3477
09/26/2010, 01:36 PM
I would deff get it done if I had the extra cash and a top of the line shop that would be capable of doing it.

LittleBeast
09/26/2010, 03:16 PM
Stupidest thing ever. Bound to break and looks ricer! And every time you get in and out people are very aware that this is not factory for 2 reasons:
1) this is not an exotic sports car, or a ricer trying to be a sports car, it is a PUV, with great offroad capability
2) you will barely be able to fit your head and shoulders past the door because this creates a MUCH smaller opening to get your body into the car. Hope you are skinny.
But seriously in my opinion this is one of the worst looking, worst functioning, most ricer mods on a VX I have ever seen. NOT WORTH THE MONEY at all!!!!!

Ascinder
09/26/2010, 04:21 PM
It's funny, but I didn't see any pictures in that buildup of the doors actually closed. I'd be interested to see what he ended up with fit and finish wise. I also wonder if he closed up the section where the hinge swung through or just left that gaping hole there. I would imagine that it would get fairly dirty in there. Definitely not my cup of tea, but I say why not, go for it. I'm all for diversity and it may help some other people out someday if you document your progress in english.

vt_maverick
09/26/2010, 05:19 PM
...it may help some other people out someday if you document your progress in english.

This may help. Sounds like he had to customize a generic kit.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvehi.world.coocan.jp%2Fgullwing%2Fg ullwing.htm

RallyDude
09/26/2010, 06:39 PM
Kat, usually when you post in the wee hours of the morning, if you don't talk to yourself, you don't talk to anyone.

Thanks etisport for the pics and the link. That build was intense. I also spent some time on that website; it's good to see that the JDM clubs are as tight as ours on this side of the pond.

I'm surprised that there wasn't more of a negative response. It seems like people either really, really like it, or really really hate it. There seems to be no middle ground.

There are quite a few differences between the build I'm looking at, and what was done to that VX in Japan. I agree with the lambo kit that was done in Japan, you'd have to be mighty skinny to squeeze past. The kit I'm looking at would hinge with the A-pillar as the axis. I think that not only would it look better on a VX, but it actually creates more room for entry/exit than the stock opening. Also, I don't believe that there would be any problem with clearing the interior, as the doors are not trying to go straight up, but rather would swing out similar to stock, just hinging at the A-pillar, rather than at the front of the door. If you look at the link I provided, and look at that BMW, you can see it is almost like the door is off the car; entry would be very easy.

That JDM VX was interesting, did you notice all the mods done to the interior? I wish there was more pictures showing the other mods that were done to the vehicle. I also wish I could read what was going on. I was surprised also to see that a highly modded vehicle like this still had the stock rims on it.

As far as mods, it isn't that crazy expensive, actually it is less than what I thought. There are kits out there as cheap as a few hundred dollars, but they are truly cheap. The hinges rely on stamped steel sliding on stamped steel. My guess is that they sell them to kids that cut apart their rides only to find out they barely or don't work, and then just return them to stock. I think also some of these kits are just good enough to hit a few car shows a year, but are not intended to take the abuse of a dd. There are also companies that sell them for several thousand, which I think they just jack up the price as it is such a exotic mod, often done on exotic cars. This company seemed like the best balance. They CNC cut their hinges out of thicker steel, use ball bearings wherever contact is made, and they use really strong gas shocks dependent on the application. Their vehicle specific kits include wire extensions that plug into the stock harness. Cost is $700 for the kit, they project installation to take 4-6 hours, and they suggest to have it done at a body shop.

It's amazing how many vehicle specific kits they do have; but of course the VX isn't one of them. I'll have to talk to them and see what they think. I don't even know where they are located yet, but I may be looking for a member to stop by their shop, and get measured. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the input, good or bad.

vt_maverick
09/26/2010, 07:01 PM
Good luck RallyDude, will be interested to see how this progresses. Btw, does anybody else think Lambo/Scissor/Gullwing doors look RIDICULOUS on 4-door cars? :_wtf:

Ascinder
09/26/2010, 07:15 PM
From the translated site:

Kuromori alloy 4130

ROFL, looks like it still needs some work(they mean chromoly)

does anybody else think Lambo/Scissor/Gullwing doors look RIDICULOUS on 4-door cars?

Yes, eccentric door setups look ridiculous on anything not exotic. The VX qualifies, but I personally just don't see where any strange door system adds to the appeal/mystique/intrigue/etc. on our vehicles.

RallyDude
09/26/2010, 08:04 PM
I don't know if there is a reason for the lambo doors to open this way, or was it purely superficial? I know on the Gullwing Mercedes, it was done as the frame required it. The rocker panel area on these is about a foot wide, at least on the old ones. I don't know too much about the new gullwing that came out last year.

And yes, a lambo kit on a four door is just plain stupid. Even on most two doors, it looks pretty damn cheesy. I think if done right on a VX, it could look good. Being a semi-concept car, it seems like it could fit, but again, it's all in the build. That JDM model is inspiring, but I don't really care for the angles. The build I am looking to do, I believe would look more like it was a designed feature. Most people would know it was aftermarket, but I think it could look right on a VX, but again, it's all in the build.

JHarris1385
09/26/2010, 09:41 PM
I think it looks awesome. There are a multitude of pictures of this same VX with the doors closed as this VX is probably the most recognized and documented JDM.

Considering the low ratio of people that actually know what the VX is I believe that fully justifies this mod as lambo/scissor doors are not only for sports cars but concepts alike. Since the VX is very near a concept form it works. In comparison, these doors on a widely well known vehicle just looks out of place but in reference to the amount that know what the VX it looks like it could have come that way.

Only thing mentioned I wonder about is the true entrance angle.

JHarris1385
09/26/2010, 09:46 PM
Beyond the above...you might as well go all in and shave the handles. Then mount a pull strap on the lower interior door to pull it down. It took me a while but I like the pull strap door handles on the insides of Porsche.

RallyDude
09/27/2010, 03:20 AM
Which Porshe?

I probably would mount a pull strap, but my paint is good, so I wouldn't want to pay for the shave. I don't need them to be automatic as long as they're adjusted right to open & close easy.

I'm shocked that there isn't a majority of members that are as opposed as LittleBeast is. I admit myself that depending upon what and how they are put on, they can be either really cool or really stupid. Radical mods usually aren't welcomed on this site unless your name is Ldub. Remember hi/low delete & marlinstein?

VX KAT
09/27/2010, 09:38 AM
How timely.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190449608899&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123

vt_maverick
09/27/2010, 09:54 AM
Too bad none of the pics on the factory site work...

PittVXr
09/27/2010, 09:55 AM
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/psibley19/Lambo-Doors-So-Played-Out.jpg

circmand
09/27/2010, 10:04 AM
Though not a fan of it on the VX. Do to the height of the VX I suspect reching the door to close it when getting out will be a challenge. You only notice it when the doors are open yet the cost is obscene. For that kind of money you could do a lot more sensible mods.

ZEUS
09/27/2010, 12:53 PM
IMHO, installing a winch and lambo doors on the same vehicle is like installing Detroit Lockers with 20-series tires, or a lowering kit with rock sliders... BUT... I think I understand why YOU are looking into the doors... yet I am very hesitant to believe they would be any more practical for you than stock.

WormGod
09/28/2010, 07:03 AM
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/psibley19/Lambo-Doors-So-Played-Out.jpg

ZING!

+1

The 80's are OUT.

circmand
09/28/2010, 07:36 AM

But thats funny

JHarris1385
09/28/2010, 08:21 AM
Lambos without lambo doors lost their complete cool. I still want an 89 Countach.

RallyDude
10/02/2010, 03:41 PM
So I did a search on this site for Lambo doors, and I was surprised how many posts were already on here, though nothing at all recent. Usually I always search the archives, but I've spent a ton of time on here, and as I haven't seen it ever come up, so I wrongly assumed it never came up before. As much talk as there has been about it, and as many fans of the mod, I'm surprised there is only the one JDM that has done it. I either will be the first one in the States to do it, or I will end up just being one of the many who have just talked about it.