PDA

View Full Version : Survival kits

Marlin
09/25/2010, 06:19 PM
I sometimes fantasize about the zombie revolution. I just found the perfect survival kit idea. 5 gallon bucket. Its very useful, cheap and you can get this for it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PORTABLE-TOILET-SEATS-FITS-5-GALLON-BUCKETS-SALE-/370389965889?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563cf65c41#ht_500wt_721

My wife says I am obsessed, but you can keep a lot of stuff in a bucket, mylar blankets, knives, matches, candles, ammo,trash bags, tube style tents, and so on. I am currently building two of these kits, one with hardware, one with food stuffs. The survival shows don't help my obsession. 3 years in Guam and lots of training has made me aware of what you need for a hurricane/earth quake. Does this make me weird?

So, this thread is all about what you all do to prepare for worst case scenario, its been a year or more since my zombie revolution thread, you can find me in western Missouri if it hits the fan, and of course, the VX will be there as well. :bgwb:

vt_maverick
09/25/2010, 07:23 PM
Partial T/J I guess, but I couldn't help but laugh when I read the description from the eBay ad:

This listing is for 1 snap on portable toilet seat and lid for the (Honey Bucket) Port-A-Pottie

stangri
09/25/2010, 07:30 PM
Rule #1: Cardio :)

pbkid
09/27/2010, 08:46 PM
i have one of those "husky" brand tool bags filled with crap ;)

RamAirZ
09/27/2010, 09:56 PM
Rule #1: Cardio :)

haha I love that movie! Damn Bill Murray :laughing: We need to remove the parking lights and "fog" lights and mount mini-guns in there on linear actuators or something to activate the triggers to mow down all those Zombies. You'll need to throw your 1st design bumper back on there though Chris to get the full "mow" effect when plowing through them.

vt_maverick
09/28/2010, 08:18 AM
i have one of those "husky" brand tool bags filled with crap ;)

Marlin - I use the massive nylon bag that came with the air jack for carrying tools in the wife's Axiom. In the VX I keep everything in the Tone box (and hopefully the JAMAS rear door box in the future). ;)

nfpgasmask
09/28/2010, 09:56 AM
From a serious aspect, surviving needs to be looked at objectively.

First, where you live needs to be analyzed. What is the environment like? Jungle? Desert? Urban? Woodland?

Then, based on that, you can put together your plan for eating and shelter.

But before all that, I think "survivalists" often overlook the big picture. People seldom think about the breakdown of civilization and the possibility of hostile people trying to thwart your survival plans. Imagine you are sitting at work, reading this very thread, when the chit hits the fan ala Red Dawn. What's your plan? How do you get home to your loved ones to enact your well prepared survival plans? These are the things I like to think about. My AK is sitting at home in my safe, but to get to it RIGHT NOW is not going to happen. I don't think anyone can seriously PLAN on every scenario.

Of course, most survival plans are based on food, water, and shelter while our modern conveniences are "down" for a bit. Hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, etc. These things can be planned for adequately, but in my opinion, these are not survival plans. These are just "I can't go to Walmart or take a hot shower right now" plans.

What about a REALLY SERIOUS situation. A widespread disease outbreak, or a hostile invasion or massive terrorist attack, a widespead food or water shortage, a globally cripling environmental disaster, the always present possibility of a zombie apocalypse, then, what do you do? :_wtf:

Bart

samneil2000
09/28/2010, 11:21 AM
Well, If I'm gonna die, I'm going in the girls locker room first...

Come on guys, you've all had that thought, right? I can't be the only one... can I??? :o

RamAirZ
09/28/2010, 11:35 AM
I'm too old to be in a girls locker room, but I guess if I was near one at that point and time, I'd go. My luck it'd be a false alarm and I'd be on my way to jail instead

samneil2000
09/28/2010, 11:47 AM
I'm too old to be in a girls locker room, but I guess if I was near one at that point and time, I'd go. My luck it'd be a false alarm and I'd be on my way to jail instead

Oh I am too... I'll be 33 next month. But I thought it was funny. :bgwb:

Back OT before I get beat up too bad, a former coworker had a tornado shelter put under his garage floor. The company comes in and saws a box shape out of your garage floor and then with a small backhoe digs a bunch of dirt out of the way. Then they drop in this steel box with a roll-top roof. It has stairs going in and a seat around the bottom. It is really pretty cool for a storm shelter. Not sure I would want to spend more than a few minutes in there, but... who knows.

newthings
09/28/2010, 12:57 PM
I live in a small town of 6000 people on the north west coast of Oregon. We have reason to believe that we are in the cross hairs of a 9+ level earthquake, followed in 20 minutes, by a series of 50 foot Tsunamis. The entire west coast from Vancouver to northern California will be hit. The geography is the same as Sumatra.

I have worked for two years with a Tsunami Advisory Group for the City of Seaside. We promote everyone to have Go Bags in their home and cars. What Bart said about building a Go Bag around your own threat, is very true. Here are three that fit our needs. A larger suitcase on wheels, a 6x40” PVC sealed tube, and a small cloth bag or backpack. Exact product names and prices for some items are based on tests and tastes. EE and SOS are vendors.
Roy

Consider a Wheeled Suitcase Go Bag
Or a Golf Cart with Backpack
It has Big Wheels for $10 at garage sales

FOR HOME AND CAR
FOOD / PREP (Rotate the food)
Water bag 2 gal.
SteriPEN and filter
Aquatab water pills
Large coffee filters 10
Datrex 3600 food bars
Spam,Deviled Ham,Tuna
Crackers, Peanut butter
Coffee, Instant Coffee
Jell-O w/sugar (Not red)
Turkey jerky 1 lb.
Beef Bouillon (MSG!)
Hard candy
Canned Soup
Cook Pots, Cup, Camp
Knife, Fork
Can opener-Swing a Way
Zip bags 4, 1 gal heavy
Trash bags 4
SHELTER/CLOTHING
Tarp 10x20,
Stakes 8
Book
2 space blankets(tubes)
Tube Blanket
3/4 foam sleeping pad
Poncho
Windbreaker
Hat
Coat
Gloves, tight mechanics
Sox 2
Underwear 2
T-shirt
Pants
Add clothing and this works for two people

HYGENE
Tissue individual Pk 4
Hand cleanser
Bar soap
Deodorant
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Razor
Nail clipper

COMMUNICATIONS
ID documents
Utility bills w/address
Family radio 2
HAM radio/Batteries
Batteries 12 AA
Loud Whistle
List of phone numbers
Cell phone
Cell car charger
Phone card
Business cards
Pencil and WP paper pad
100 dollars 40 quarters
PET SUPPLIES
Dry food
Soft packs
Leash and collar
Dog Muzzle

TOOLS
Pack/Bag
USB drive w/data
Duct tape
Zip ties 10
Magnesium Fire Starter
Matches WP
Butane lighter 2
Candle 2
Big knife/Ax
MultiTool
LED Flashlight/Batteries
Signal mirror
Compass
Multi screwdriver
Vise Grip
Pliers cutter
Crescent wrench 8”
10 drywall screws
AM/FM Radio
Fish line165 lb
¼ nylon rope, 100 ft
FIRST AID
Glasses- spare
Glasses retainer
Safety pins
Hand cleanser
Aspirin /Tylenol
Ibuprophren
Anti acid
10 Band-Aids
4” pads 4
Elastic bandage
Alcohol wipes
Neosporin
Elastakon tape
Moleskin
Meds
Vicoden
Quick clot
Syringe 60 cc
Triangle bandage
Sanitary pads 10
Tweezers
EMT Scissors
Razor blades
Nitrile gloves 4 pr
Dust masks 2
Needles
Topo maps

A Tool Tube
List of instructions
SHELTER
EE Space Blanket - QK $1.25
EE Space tubes QK -$1.25
EE Poncho –SOS $4.00
Gloves, Cloth/leather SOS $2.10
$8.60

HYGENE
MicroPur T water pills
20 pk-$9.00
1 Liter bottle $1.00
TP Tissue individual 4
SOS 33291, $2.10
Hand cleanser-small
SOS 4 oz, $2.00
Bar soap-small $.50
Large coffee filters 6 ea
Grocery $1.00
$9.00
COMMUNICATIONS
Loud Whistle $1.00
3x5 cards 4 - $ .10
Ball point Pen free Promo
$1.10

PVC White Tube 6” x 40” with two caps
$19

TOOLS
Ax-hammer $35.00
Saw SOS $10.00
Butane lighter $1.00
Multi Tool – stainless $5.00
Zip ties 12” 6 $1.00
3/16” nylon rope, 50 ft $2.75
Trash bags-heavy 2 $1.00
Nails 1 ½” .80
$56.00

FIRST AID
Tylenol SOS 5pks of 2 $.14
Ibuphrophen 5 Pk of 2 $.14
Anti acid SOS 5pks of 2 $.14
6 Band-Aids Cloth SOS $.50
2” pads 4 SOS $.30
Neosporin flats 2 $.20
Elastakon tape 1” roll $2.20
Sani pads 2 in Zip Loc $1.00
Tweezers 1 SOS $1.20
Nail clipper $1.00
Dust masks 2 N95
SOS 281481 $1.00
$8.00

$83.00 Total

Up Grades
Personal add in –
Business Cards
Spare Glasses
ID documents
Utility bills w/address
List of phone numbers
Sox
Personal Meds
Buy out add in --
List of included items
Instructions
EMT Scissors
MultiTool
AM/FM Radio
Razor knife
Crescent wrench 8”
Multi-Screw driver
Stakes, steel 4
Triangle bandage
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Second Space Tube
Datrex
Anti-Diarrheal
Butterfly Band aid Med
Butterfly Band aid Lg
Large Bandage
Felt Pen
Safety Pins
Light Stick
Can opener-Swing a Way
Prilosec
Drywall screws 10
Sm. LED Flashlight/Batteries
FRS Radio and batteries
Vise Grip
Cell phone charger

A 10x15” Bag

Hand towel
Tissues
Body wash
Shampoo
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Razor
Shave foam
Deodorant
Comb
Whistle and flashlight
Zip lock bag
Radio and batteries
Playing cards
Paperback book
ADD IN –
Poncho
Utility bills
ID docs
Granola bar 4
Water pills
Multi tool
LED flashlight
Space blanket/tube
Can opener
Gloves
Pen
3x5 cards
Trash bags
Nylon rope
Butane lighter
Water Bottle 1 lit.
Coffee filter 10”
Bar soap
First Aid
Band aids 6
Elasticon bandage 1
Tweezer
Anti Acid 20
Neosporin pack 2
Prilosec 7
Ibuprophen 20
Acetomenphen 20
Sani pads 2
EMT shears
Nail Clipper
Hand cleanser

vt_maverick
09/28/2010, 01:01 PM
Tell me you copy/pasted that from somewhere? Holy crap would that be a lot of typing...

Marlin
09/28/2010, 03:22 PM
Umm, how does dog muzzle fit under communications":smack:

newthings
09/28/2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the detailed look.
Dog Muzzle is under PET SUPPLIES in caps. (Or you don't know my wife)
A recent training I took from the Red Cross on Shelter Management, said that the Katrina experience shows the need for pet accommodation. People will not leave their pets, period.
Roy

Marlin
09/28/2010, 03:55 PM
ooops, I was looking for the spaces between categories. I would hate to leave my pets too, but if it hits the fan, as much as I love my dogs, the wife and kids come first. I will do my best for em...

Marlin
12/19/2010, 05:02 PM
I am bored and bringing back an old thread. With current events, my family has formally begun building our **** hits the fan kit. We have 4 camping packs, all with waterproof liners that have the following evenly spread amongst them with some repeats. This prevents the loss of one pack from being the end of the world:
This is all in addition to my wheeling stuff, such as the tools and spare parts. We are looking more at the 'we have to walk concept.'

Each member should have a hand gun, something relatively small, such as a 9mm, 380 etc. Right now, we are working on that. 250 rounds for each hand gun. A 45 would be nice, but its heavy and so are the rounds. I would rather shoot twice with a 9mm...
My wife and I always wear watches that have built in LED flashlight and bracelets that have compasses and are made of about 16ft of 550 cord. Very cool gadgets.

We currently have:
snakebite kits
iodine
hydrogen peroxide wipes
aspirin
cold meds
pepto
a few full size first aid kits
bandages and whatnot
Vaseline is a great additive, helps with chaffing and can act as temporary waterproofing for all kinds of stuff.
One good knife per backpack
lighters and magnesium strikers
dyno flashlights as well as battery flashlights.
Mylar blankets
Sleeping bags
2 small two man tents.
Plenty of 550 cord.
A few multitools as well.
One garmin waterproof GPS with plenty of extra batteries.
TP
Duct tape
Superglue (works on wounds as well)
JB weld
Benadryl is something to add for possible allergic reactions(poison ivy, insect stings) We have one tube of sun block, probably need more along with inspect repellant wipes.
Wind up radio
Waterproof two way radios
Deck of cards
Ponchos and extra trashbags
hatchet
machete
soap
I have lots of other junk,
Extra socks and underwear. At least two sets, so one set can be drying at all times. I recommend the underarmor stuff, it wicks away moisture and dries very quickly.
Tampons, for the wife and also convenient for first aid...
Small cook stove with aerosol style fuel cans. Weighs about 5lbs total with 3 cans of fuel. In a nice waterproof case that can strap to the back of a pack.

We also carry a Mossberg 702 rifle with 550 rounds. Great for hunting small game and it only weighs a few pounds plus another few pounds for the ammo. A better investment would be the Henry Survival rifle, the whole thing fits into the stock of the gun, waterproof, floats...very cool at 200 bucks. We carry two gun cleaning kits as well.
We have a Pur Scout class I purifier. This thing removes everything from water, bacteria, cysts, virus, metals and so on. We have two extra filters. Its pretty neat, it is super fast, has water bottle attachment and removes the necessity to carry extra water. You can fill a camel pack style bag in a few minutes. Says if you process raw sewage, you have to filter it twice, and you can only do a 100 gallons or so...lol.

need to get:

unlubricated condoms, great for waterproofing, carrying stuff, keep extra food fresh and so on.
Quite a few of the 3600 calorie SOLAS approved bars. They are in little squares for ease of rationing. They taste alright,like a bland shortbread cookie, but better than dying and they have a ridiculous shelf life.
Laminated topo maps
Glowsticks are a nice idea, but kind of heavy and expensive.
Benadryl is something to add for possible allergic reactions(poison ivy, inset stings) We have one tube of sun block, probably need more along with inspect repellant wipes.
We also have a set of the spandex style under garments for all 4 of us as well. Great for winter, helps keep you dry, and very lightweight and small.
Solar charger for radios/phones
Nook or kindle with solar charger and a ton of free books(boredom and low spirits can kill a group)
Wish I could get some of those morphine injectors for field use...

For the time being, all of our gear will fit in the packs, that we can hopefully just throw in the back of either the VX or Trooper RS. But worst case, you gotta be able to carry all your stuff. I have a lot of family with land in western missouri. Thats where we will head.
I am sure there is other stuff I need, but this is a good start. Better to be prepared and not need it....

If you think of something else, feel free to post up so I can complete my kits.

The lists already posted are great, but seem to be more for short term, stay at home style survival. I am trying to be ready for the 1000 mile, long term hike to the wilderness packout.
I know there are lots of other things I need, cookware, (figure tin cans will work well for this), cold weather gear, splints,
I may have to add some dog rations, but they can eat scraps and what we can find along the way. Worst comes to worst, the dogs are expendable in the big scheme of things. I hate to say it, but thats the way it is.

Ldub
12/19/2010, 05:54 PM
Worst comes to worst, the dogs are expendable in the big scheme of things. I hate to say it, but thats the way it is.

Well...I guess it's better than eating one of the kids...:yesgray:

Or any food you stored in a rubber...:smilewink

crotchrocket
12/20/2010, 03:47 AM
you guys are all crazy, you know that right!! ?? :D

Marlin
12/20/2010, 06:05 AM
Or any food you stored in a rubber...:smilewink

Eeeewwwwwwwwwww!!

I don't know if I could eat the dog, well, actually, I could, but I wouldn't like it. Now the neighbors dog on the other hand...no problem. I had dog once, when I was over seas, not very good. That does not mean all dog is bad, I have had lots of bad steak as well, but eating dog kind of reminded me of duck for some reason, and I don't like that either.

CR, we are not crazy, we are prepared. There is a difference, afterall, if I never need the stuff, I am out a couple hundred bucks on the camping stuff. Everything else can be used normally.
If I do need it, and I don't have it, that would suck. I don't see how that is crazy? Do you carry a tow strap in your VX when you wheel? Why not just plan to not get stuck? (With all that mud you guys have over there, I doubt that is possible...lol.) In the same idea, with all the Umbrella Corporation labs we have over here, the zombie revolution is just a matter of time.:bgwb:

Travelin2
12/20/2010, 10:15 AM
Marlin, Your view of the necessities if the "stuff" hits the fan strikes home with me since I recently finished reading the book "The Road". It is about the situation you describe of taking care of family and what you can expect. If you start it you can't leave it alone till you know...

Being able to drive anywhere with a vehicle in that situation is not even a possibility. Your "we have to walk concept" is the one you have to plan for. If its just a matter of not being able to shop at the grocery store for a few days, thats no big deal except for the infirm.

tom4bren
12/20/2010, 10:46 AM
Our survival plan is the same as our retirement plan:

2009 Coachman towing a 2000 VehiCross

We're only bringing the Coachman because it has plenty of cupholders:)

Marlin
12/20/2010, 11:41 AM
Marlin, Your view of the necessities if the "stuff" hits the fan strikes home with me since I recently finished reading the book "The Road". It is about the situation you describe of taking care of family and what you can expect. If you start it you can't leave it alone till you know...

I just watched the movie saturday night, probably part of what is pushing my sudden interest:) Just got my Pur Scout in the mail today.

Being able to drive anywhere with a vehicle in that situation is not even a possibility. Your "we have to walk concept" is the one you have to plan for. If its just a matter of not being able to shop at the grocery store for a few days, thats no big deal except for the infirm.

We're only bringing the Coachman because it has plenty of cupholders:)
LMAO!!!

I took the boy shooting today. The mossberg out of the box at 25 yards, hitting bullseyes with no adjustments! We went through a little over two hundred rounds, no jams, no sticks, one bad round. Two kids in the lane next to us were using a similar 22 with a scope shooting shotgun shells on the ground at 25 yards. I waited for him to miss one, I picked it off open sights...lol. His friend gave him a hard time about that one:) There is a reason I have an expert rifle medal on my uniform:rolleyes:

That gun is worth its weight in gold. My neighbor brought a lot of guns out as well. He brought a couple of various make handguns, lots of WWII stuff. He also brought out some old school flint locks, a MAC10, AR15, an old AK that fires .410 slugs, very fun. The kids had a blast and learned a lot about gun safety as well.

vt_maverick
12/20/2010, 07:09 PM
I took the boy shooting today. The mossberg out of the box at 25 yards, hitting bullseyes with no adjustments! We went through a little over two hundred rounds, no jams, no sticks, one bad round. Two kids in the lane next to us were using a similar 22 with a scope shooting shotgun shells on the ground at 25 yards. I waited for him to miss one, I picked it off open sights...lol. His friend gave him a hard time about that one:) There is a reason I have an expert rifle medal on my uniform:rolleyes:

That gun is worth its weight in gold. My neighbor brought a lot of guns out as well. He brought a couple of various make handguns, lots of WWII stuff. He also brought out some old school flint locks, a MAC10, AR15, an old AK that fires .410 slugs, very fun. The kids had a blast and learned a lot about gun safety as well.

Didn't I already read this somewhere? :p

Btw History International had a show on the other night about survival after the apocalypse. Really makes you think (and worry).

Marlin
12/20/2010, 07:37 PM
I played with the purifier this evening. Pretty neat. I filled the sink with soapy dishwater, filtered it, tasted fine. I will try a muddy puddle next time it rains. Very easy to use and light weight. Katadyn bought the rights to it from PUR a few years ago. PUR sold it for 79.95 by what the box mine came in says. Now it sells for couple hundred bucks, it even uses the same filter? Gotta pay for that name...

Hotsauce
12/20/2010, 07:48 PM
GO Bag contents

Small Knipex Cobra.

6 in 1 screwdriver

Cable saw

Metal and nylon zipties.

F4 tape

Handheld scanner

A fairly extensive first aid kit( a friend who is a nurse got me a few hard to find items)

Butane lighter.

Miniature hand crank light.

Thompson/Contender in 410

Supply of 410 shot, slugs, and buck. .45 LC also

Crazy glue - This is primarily a first aid item to replace emergency stiches

Potassium Iodide.

Copies of ID, insurance cards, and bank account #'s

Spare contact lenses and glasses.

Gold coins in 1 and 1/10 oz sizes

Folding multitool

Handcuff key

Spare keys for everything

A couple of locksmith tools - given time I can open almost anything

Sewing kit with kevlar thread

Saftey pins

Compass

Compact poncho

Solar blanket

Ceramic water filter and purification tabs. You can go a long time without food, but not without water.

A bunch of more common items. This all fits in a small gymbag.

John C.

Marlin
12/20/2010, 08:09 PM
GO Bag contents

Small Knipex Cobra.

6 in 1 screwdriver

Cable saw

Metal and nylon zipties.

F4 tape

Handheld scanner

A fairly extensive first aid kit( a friend who is a nurse got me a few hard to find items)

Butane lighter.

Miniature hand crank light.

Thompson/Contender in 410

Supply of 410 shot, slugs, and buck. .45 LC also

Crazy glue - This is primarily a first aid item to replace emergency stiches

Potassium Iodide.
Great idea for the radioactive concept. Potassium iodide when taken in a significant dose prevents the thyroid from absorbing radioactive iodine, which will quickly kill you. We issue it to the R.A.T. (Radioactive Accident Team) in the Navy for the Nukes in the case of a nuclear accident response.
Copies of ID, insurance cards, and bank account #'s

Spare contact lenses and glasses.

Gold coins in 1 and 1/10 oz sizes
I prefer silver, gold is worth too much, and would be hard to barter in a worst case scenario, but I get the idea. I think ammunition would also be great currency.

Folding multitool

Handcuff key

Spare keys for everything

A couple of locksmith tools - given time I can open almost anything

Sewing kit with kevlar thread
Another good idea for me to add to my kit
Saftey pins

Compass

Compact poncho

Solar blanket

Ceramic water filter and purification tabs. You can go a long time without food, but not without water.

A bunch of more common items. This all fits in a small gymbag.

John C.

Thanks for the info, made me think of a few things to add. I really want some morphine injectors, maybe some Epinephrine injectors. Some A-triple-pam-chloride would be nice as well (Helps prevent nervous system shut down during chemical attacks). I need to get some smelling salts too.

Marlin
12/20/2010, 08:18 PM
I just checked out vectran thread. Stronger than kevlar, 5 times stronger than steel, high heat resistance, and I have all of my bait needles I can stitch with. I am glad I know how to sew thanks to the Navy.