PDA

View Full Version : TOD Locking?

Vaso
09/24/2010, 02:57 PM
Hey guys,
what's your experience with heavy offroading when it comes to locking differential?
Does TOD prevent wheels from unnecessary spinning and is it really capable when you are in deep mud or snow?
Ive seen some vids where all 4 wheels are not fully locked as one of the wheel was not rotating..

Thanx

RickOKC
09/24/2010, 03:03 PM
This tread has some interesting information: How does tod work? (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17667)

Ascinder
09/24/2010, 07:02 PM
The TOD is not a locker, but by finessing the E-brake, you can get the limited slip in the rear to do some pretty good stuff offroad.

Vaso
09/24/2010, 09:43 PM
Good info on that link, thanx.
So maybe it's good idea to put airlockers on all wheels if going heavy offroading;)
Also interesting issue about E-brake usage for preventing futile spinning of the wheel, so E-brake locks both or just one wheel? I think it's both...

RamAirZ
09/25/2010, 07:20 AM
It works on both rear wheels and x2 for using it. I (knock on wood) have yet to have a "slippage" offroad using my truck, it stays in locked real good when we go out, a few people asked if it had a locker lol.

Marlin
09/25/2010, 07:35 AM
It works on both rear wheels and x2 for using it. I (knock on wood) have yet to have a "slippage" offroad using my truck, it stays in locked real good when we go out, a few people asked if it had a locker lol.

x3

I like the aussie in the front, with manual hubs. Aussie is less than 400 bucks from Indy4x, and fairly easy to install...if you are mechanically inclined. The ARB air locker is probably 3 times as much, if we can still get them for the 10 bolt front end. Plus install is no walk in the park.
Depends how much wheeling you are gonna do.

I just as soon disable TOD, since I have manual hubs on front, and in 4lo TOD does nothing as the power is even split 50/50 all the time.

RamAirZ
09/25/2010, 07:44 AM
I'm with ya there Chris. If I keep the auto I'm gonna at least swap out the TOD case for a manual one then that opens ya up for the Revo gears, or if I do a full swap it'll end up with the MUA5 5-spd. Where I live there is no real advantage to the TOD, maybe horrible rainy conditions, but it'd be nice to be able to select 2wd or REAL 4HI.

Chopper
09/25/2010, 08:26 AM
I briefly considered gutting it and making it rear drive only, for the same reasons. I doubt the TOD has ever been engaged ever in mine. I have to remember to go on a shell road every year or so, just to stick it in low low for a mile or so. (I had the VX for maybe 4 years before ever used lo at all....it was tough to engage because of it....now doing it every year or so seems enough to keep it loosened up) 2WD makes more sense for me too

Marlin
09/25/2010, 08:35 AM
I briefly considered gutting it and making it rear drive only, for the same reasons. I doubt the TOD has ever been engaged ever in mine. I have to remember to go on a shell road every year or so, just to stick it in low low for a mile or so. (I had the VX for maybe 4 years before ever used lo at all....it was tough to engage because of it....now doing it every year or so seems enough to keep it loosened up) 2WD makes more sense for me too

TOD engages every time you drive over 5mph. Watch the green lights, if you stomp on it, it may even go higher than just the first bars.

Chopper
09/25/2010, 11:59 AM
other than the 5/95 or 10/90 split (or whatever it is nominally) It's never been in any low traction situations is what I meant

Marlin
09/25/2010, 12:37 PM
other than the 5/95 or 10/90 split (or whatever it is nominally) It's never been in any low traction situations is what I meant

ohhhhh, my bad. I too would like an honest to goodness 4high. I am not a huge fan of drivetrain electronics, electronic lockers and so on. If you get em wet, or a bad electrical connection, broken wire, you are screwed. At least with manual stuff, you can always over ride something or rig something up, and it doesn't care about water:)

tjh
09/27/2010, 03:44 PM
When the VX gets up to about 100mph the TOD computer splits the power evenly between the front and rear tires. Just saying ! Florida turnpike and all, you know .

samneil2000
09/28/2010, 06:23 AM
When the VX gets up to about 100mph the TOD computer splits the power evenly between the front and rear tires. Just saying ! Florida turnpike and all, you know .

That's interesting. I've never heard that before. I don't plan on going that fast any time soon, especially with the tires I'm running. Still... intersting.

etlsport
09/28/2010, 06:24 AM

mine has never done that :_confused.. you running 4 matching tires?

tjh
09/28/2010, 03:13 PM
mine has never done that :_confused.. you running 4 matching tires?

Yes Sir, 4 matched tires . I had stock size highway tires , Now, I have slightly oversized off-road tires . I get the same result with either set off tires . Full lock around 100mph . I've done multiple pulls up to 100 and let off , then accelerated again back up , and every time it switches to an even split at around 100. I'm not sure exactly what speed it happens at, but I do know that it's north of 95mph.

Marlin
09/28/2010, 04:17 PM
I think I know why, its right in the VX shop manual:
"The Vehicross is not designed to go over 85mph.....except the Proton, being that it is the most offroad capable and fastest of the available colors"

samneil2000
09/29/2010, 06:17 AM
Fixed

I think I know why, its right in the VX shop manual:
"The Vehicross is not designed to go over 85mph.....except the Proton, being that it is the most Taxi capable and Loudest of the available colors"

Marlin
09/29/2010, 09:27 AM
:?::jump:
Fixed

Trudy Carp
09/29/2010, 11:51 AM
TOD SUCKS, especially in high altitude winter driving conditions. Over the years, I have learned how to force more power to the front axle when driving on snow packed roads. But it always needs to get a little sideways before a mashed gas pedal pulls you out of it. I am running Hankook I-Pike RW11's, LT265/75/16 on 16 inch Trooper steel wheels. Running between Alma and Breckenridge takes you over a 11,000+ foot mountain pass and through a lot of switchbacks. On bare pavement......she's a handling beast that's hard to catch on all those switchbacks because she sticks to the pavement better than I can stay in the seat doing it. Winter rolls around......different story. TOD is not my friend. My husband doesn't drive it much in the winter and is not as familiar with it's tendencies.....lost control of it on our snow packed dirt roads many times from driving just a little too fast.......kinda fun to watch the panicky look on his face while it's pin balling off the plowed snow banks on both sides of the road.......once you've lost it, you're just hanging on till it stops. Thank you TOD. Glad I work at a body shop........

BigMeatVX
10/01/2010, 07:53 AM
I LOVE TOD:bgwb: The reason it "locks" at 100MPH is the throttle position...FYI...I takes some pedal to get there and stay at 100:winko:

The TOD works better with a manual tranny, IMHO.
The auto is the culprit for many folks issues with TOD, just not enough controll...when you let off the gas the auto is still "pulling" a bit. The lack of decent compression braking makes regaining traction, after it is lost, MUCH more difficult.

Why dont you folks that have issues with it (or just don't like it) try one of the TOD switch MODs?

There are several...

TOD discoonect..... (blue wire) with a switch, allows you to turn it off or on, or 2WD/TOD modes....

TOD -LOC Mod....allows you to 'LOCK-UP" the TOD at will. Allowing 4x4 HIGH at slow speeds, without the "grab-slip-grab" feeling....

Lastly, for those who want to "play" with it a bit, try hooking a dimmer switch inline to the the TOD computer...cut the wire that gets feed from the TPS, and install a 12 volt supplied- dimmer switch.....this allows you to controll the grip with a dial...:yeso: (and the bars on the dash respond to the dial):)

The electric magnetic-coil that controlls the TOD is just a GIANT switch inside the T-case, the way it works is that is has 3 balls that ride in ramped tracks, next to several wet-clutch disks.... once activated by the elcetromagnet, the more force or torque that is applied, the harder it grabs or locks up.

Ford has used a Borg Warner TOD version on their 600HP PRO 4 race trucks for many years, and it is THE prefered T-case for high speed racing off road, FYI.

samneil2000
10/01/2010, 12:38 PM
That all seems interesting and I wouldn't mind trying some of it, but it sounds a little overwhelming. I also wouldn't mind the manual swap but that's money and time I can't afford right now.

I LOVE TOD:bgwb: The reason it "locks" at 100MPH is the throttle position...FYI...I takes some pedal to get there and stay at 100:winko:

The TOD works better with a manual tranny, IMHO.
The auto is the culprit for many folks issues with TOD, just not enough controll...when you let off the gas the auto is still "pulling" a bit. The lack of decent compression braking makes regaining traction, after it is lost, MUCH more difficult.

Why dont you folks that have issues with it (or just don't like it) try one of the TOD switch MODs?

There are several...

TOD discoonect..... (blue wire) with a switch, allows you to turn it off or on, or 2WD/TOD modes....

TOD -LOC Mod....allows you to 'LOCK-UP" the TOD at will. Allowing 4x4 HIGH at slow speeds, without the "grab-slip-grab" feeling....

Lastly, for those who want to "play" with it a bit, try hooking a dimmer switch inline to the the TOD computer...cut the wire that gets feed from the TPS, and install a 12 volt supplied- dimmer switch.....this allows you to controll the grip with a dial...:yeso: (and the bars on the dash respond to the dial):)

The electric magnetic-coil that controlls the TOD is just a GIANT switch inside the T-case, the way it works is that is has 3 balls that ride in ramped tracks, next to several wet-clutch disks.... once activated by the elcetromagnet, the more force or torque that is applied, the harder it grabs or locks up.

Ford has used a Borg Warner TOD version on their 600HP PRO 4 race trucks for many years, and it is THE prefered T-case for high speed racing off road, FYI.