PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying, need advice

spacegravity4me
09/23/2010, 04:25 PM
Hey guys. I'm thinking of buying a Vehicross. I know there are a few threads like this already but i need advice for my situation. I've always loved the looks of the Vehicross. I've grown up salivating and obsessing over concept cars and almost became a car designer because I love weird new things so much. This truck definitely caught my eye years ago when i was younger but I never really considered buying one until just recently when I realized I couldn't sell my Focus for the right amount of money to get a focus zx4 st. So with some quick googling (?) I found that I would have enough money for a vehicross. I found one for 5700 or so and it had about 130k miles on it. i have a friend who has had a rodeo for 7 years and swears by it and i hear that it shares a lot of parts with the vehicross, so that sounds good. The truck as a whole sounds like it was made for me. I for think it would look amazing and just like a concept car if I threw some scissor doors on there that open up and out! However, I am in college and money is really tight. If the engine in this thing were to go bad there is no way on earth that I could replace it and I've heard that the engines can be pretty bad. So my question to you guys is how reliable is this vehicle really? Are the parts expensive? What is the likely hood of me having the engine issue? Can I afford to take a risk on this vehicle in my current financial situation? I really love it but I need to know what I'm dealing with. Also, how much does it cost for you guys to fill up? I appreciate the help and look forward to talking to you all. Thanks. I forgot to add the link to the Vehicross I found. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=286604634&dealer_id=57794361&car_year=1999&rdm=1285289094149&lastStartYear=1981&num_records=25&model=VEHICROSS&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&engine=&keywordsrep=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=ISU&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=&seller_type=b&position=top&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=71201&advanced=&end_year=2011&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=383&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

Mile High VX
09/23/2010, 05:16 PM
You're going to get what you pay for. If the seller has a complete service history, and all is well, then you should be fine. Synthetic fluids are a plus. If it's a higher mileage vehicle then has the timing belt change been done and did they do it according to the factory specs including the water pump.

How much oil it uses between changes is a great question to ask. Some don't use much and some use several quarts...just depends on the vehicle...no real rhyme or reason why some use oil and some don't.

If you have major issues then rebuilding, replacing, or swapping the engine will not be cheap, but if you can do the work yourself you'll save thousands. Engine parts seem to be pretty easy to come by for the most part and seem reasonably priced. My VX has been very reliable and I have not had any issues with it at all.

Gas mileage for me is not great, at about 14.5 combined, and it cost me about $40 to fill up. Thankfully I don't put a ton of miles on my VX, or I'd be looking for a cheap gas miser to get around in like several of the members here have done.

MSHardeman
09/23/2010, 05:23 PM
sg4m,

It sounds like you've already been bitten by the VX so just give in a get one.:p
Seriously, though, if you take care of the VX is should give you years and years of enjoyment. Some of the engines DO have an oil eating issue so it is imperative to stay on top of that by checking the oil EVERY time you fill up. I know mine goes through a half quart between fill-ups (about 320 miles). Some go through more, others go through less so it all depends on your particular VX.

With that said it's hard to tell how well the VX you're looking at was taken care of other than asking the owner if they checked the oil regularly and trusting that. If you hear strange noises from the engine then don't go near it. Not sure where you are in the country, but many of us have had other, local, members look at potential VX's for us (I bought mine in Chicago and drove it back to Colorado) so if you want a VX owner to go with you to check it out just let us know. If the one you're looking at isn't just right for you then keep looking and if you find one far away one of us will go take a look at it for you.

The VX does share a lot of it's mechanical parts with certain year Rodeo's and they aren't really that expensive. Body parts, on the other hand, are becoming rare and can be very expensive if you buy them new. There has been a recent glut of parted out VX's so you can get body panels that way too.

Someone did put some scissor doors on a VX already (think it was someone in Japan) so it can be done.

Hope some of that helps. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences too.

Welcome to our little dysfunctional family.:dan_ban:

VX KAT
09/23/2010, 05:36 PM
Since this is a group of VX enthusiasts, we recently put together a pretty detailed checklist, very specific to the VX and covers many issues that have arisen over time since the model is basically 10+ yrs old on average. Maybe reviewing these issues and searching here on the forum on these issues, you'll get a clearer picture of what might be involved with owning a VX.

COMPREHENSIVE VX QUESTIONNAIRE /CHECKLIST FOR BUYERS OR SELLERS
~Any service history records?

~How long have you owned it?

~Electric windows work properly or bind?

~Condition of window rubber track/gaskets...(many have ripped or been cut)

~Look behind door panels to see if vapor barrier is present - (may indicate previous work on windows)

~Window regulator /motor been replaced?

~SBC brackets ever installed on windows?

~Any oil consumption noted, under ANY conditions? (some seem to consume a little when on prolonged highway driving)

~Chrome wheels peeling? (many peeled on the inner side)

~ABS - Any ABS light problems? Make sure ABS light comes on when key is first turned to ON position. If not, could a problem and / or bulb has been removed. Note, many have disconnected ABS system, or never repaired it when it went out, and truck seems to function fine (just no ABS).

~OEM CD player still work correctly or ERR3 code? Any jammed CDs?

~Any problems with TOD?

~Any clunking when decelerating or accelerating?

~Brand & model of tires & approx tread remaining-

~Do all 4 tires match in brand, size, model, AIR PRESSURE & wear? (TOD system will often make severe clunking noises if all 4 aren't pretty "equal" in all these terms)

~How long have these current 4 tires been on?

~Timing belt changed?

~Original OEM brake pads or replacements?

~Any fluids dripping, ever?

~Last time & what fluids have been changed?

~What type of fluids (synthetic oil or regular, motor oil, diff, tranny, transf case)?

~Evaluate/describe condition of all cladding - scrapes, holes, deformation, dryness, chalky appearance, any evidence of being "painted" in any way?

~Are all cladding screws present? Any striped?

~Condition of 4 screw knobs on inside rear door panel (often break off)

~Condition of inside door opening handle/levers & mechanism (sometimes broken)

~Any unusual /excessive vibrations - very subjective of course

~Any problems with motor mounts?

~Determine the history of the car's physical location, if possible (i.e. East Coast, potential rust, desert sun (UV), etc)

~Inspect thoroughly for rust!!
Any evidence of rusted bolts anywhere?
Is rear gas tank skid plate or tail pipe showing rust?

~Status of front bumper reinforcement bar? (Often rusts off completely)

~Status of rear license plate light/socket/bracket -(often severely rusts) -will give indication if it was in a rust belt area

~Condition of paint - Describe. (fading, chipping, scratches, repainted areas)

~Condition of hood insert - Describe. (very often cracked)

~Condition of plastic headlight housings - any crazing, fogged, cracked, etc...or been restored/polished, etc....(very often cloudy/fogged)

~Rubber headlight gaskets- present at all?, ripped, condition

~Evaluate engine bay- clean? dirty? Any evidence of leaking fluids (old or new) of any type?? Evaluate fluid levels.

~Evaluate air filter- excessively dirty? OEM or after-market?

~Has muffler ever been replaced? What's the status of the current muffler? Rusted, surface rust, etc? OEM, after-market? (Since, as I understand it, these mufflers are no longer available, so an aftermarket one with some modification to the pipes may be required.)

~Has it had to go through emissions testing recently? (Some states require for registration, some don't)

~Ever been lifted or torsion bars cranked?

~Condition of CV joints? (Can be damaged after being lifted)

~Battery- status, condition and age

~Any unusual flashing of any lights on dash or shifter? (Mode selection switch may be bad)

~Any odors inside, such as smoke?

~Condition of leather seats...scrapes, rips, tears, wear, abrasion, driver's side seat bolster

~Condition of center console padded armrest -(very often cracked and split where driver's elbow has rested on it)

~Condition of leather steering wheel - (often heavily scraped up)

~Condition of levers that bring seat back forward to allow access to rear seats (often broken)

~Does it have an OEM roof rack?

~Are OEM rail caps in place and/or available?

~Ever taken off road?

~OEM or after-market tail pipe?

~Status of tail pipe - any deformation may indicate off road use

~Status of rear lower cladding & rear gas tank skid plate- scrapes may indicate off road use

~Status of undercarriage overall - scrapes, damage, etc... may indicate off road use

~Any known repairs?

~Any extra parts on hand?

~Any modifications done previously that have now been removed? Describe.

list last modified: 6/8/10 11:09 am

VX KAT
09/23/2010, 05:45 PM
Have you ever seen this site mash search thing? It searches all craigslists and ebay in one easy search: Just keep running it everyday, or a couple of times per day to see when new listings appear.

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cp

There's also "autotempest.com".
Should help you see what's available nationwide.

vxfocus
09/23/2010, 06:48 PM
that link is bad

vt_maverick
09/23/2010, 06:52 PM
For your viewing pleasure...

http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/gullwing4/DSCF9012a.JPG

VX KAT
09/23/2010, 07:07 PM
that link is bad

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cp

Try this one, but you'll have to enter the selection criteria (vehicross, year..then hit "GO")

RickOKC
09/23/2010, 07:08 PM
First off as an enthusiast, I gotta say the VX is freakin' awesome!

But... on the practical side - I wouldn't consider it as the best vehicle for college.

As others have said, you get what you pay for and the risks are many. SOME people trade off their old cars because they are simply bored with them (even though they're still in great shape and still freakin' awesome) but a LOT of people trade off their old vehicles because their mechanic just told them something catastrophic is about to happen. A small dealership is NEVER going to tell you if they see something negative is about to happen in the near future. If money is tight - you are taking a HUGE risk unless you have someone who can help you out in case something very bad happens.

Just because you asked about the price to fill up the tank makes me worry even more. It has a big 22 gallon tank and 15 MPG average is not uncommon.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I ain't rich by ANY means yet I finally got to a point where I had some extra cash lying around "just in case." A couple years ago, I would never have considered a VX just because I'm VERY honest with myself about my financial situation.

(Still - if someone can help you out in case of an emergency - go for it!)

Not trying to talk you out of it, I'm just thinking about what my finances looked like when I was first starting out. Go it to a purchase with a HIGH level of skepticism and DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER buying unless you have an AutoCheck report.

Grif
09/23/2010, 07:08 PM
For your viewing pleasure...

http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/gullwing4/DSCF9012a.JPG

:ot:

But that is sweet! The doors anyways. The replacement rear spoiler is a sin, and are those headlight covers?

RickOKC
09/23/2010, 07:16 PM

But that is sweet! The doors anyways. The replacement rear spoiler is a sin, and are those headlight covers?
I'm usually not a fan of Lambo doors, but that is pretty neat. Didn't even notice the rear spoiler, but I instantly wondered if the headlight covers were modeled after Cheech or Chong. Dave's not here, man...

vt_maverick
09/23/2010, 07:37 PM
Hey guys. I'm thinking of buying a Vehicross... I for think it would look amazing and just like a concept car if I threw some scissor doors on there that open up and out!

Go home T/J police. ;)