PDA

View Full Version : VX acceleration

Vaso
09/22/2010, 10:53 PM
Since I like fast cars and offroaders I am thinking to get VX, this is based on many reviews online, even professional ones they claim VX is quite responsive in acceleration, drag time for 60miles is like arround 9 sec which is not bad at all.

But my point is the following: Last year I did a test drive in Atlanta, and the VX just was very slow... I floored gas pedal a couple of time and didn't feel any thrust at all, there was just engine roar, of course it shouldn't be like a sportscar but I had to feel smth right?

I owned isuzu trooper 3.2, 190 hp (moreover VX has 2.5, 215hp) and I was feeling thrust on any speed. You think this particular VX had some problems (engine, transmission) or it's normal feature for VX since it has TOD system?
You guys know VX so just let me know your ideas.

Thank you

RamAirZ
09/22/2010, 11:00 PM
My VX even on 33's feels good on acceleration. It can get up and go pretty well and when it was on the 18's and smaller tires it really moved out. It's no speed demon by any means but it is quick for what it is (some people's definitions are different, it's not "fast" but I can't compare it to my old Camaro, 2 different types of vehicles). I think there may have been something up with that VX.

VX crazy
09/23/2010, 05:20 AM
I can tell you that each VX is different when it comes to that, think due to many reasons like how it was taken care of prior.....my first vx which I was original owner and took great care in that vehicles maintaince from the very begining ran very strong til the end when I wrecked it at 110K. I bought the second VX with like 60k miles and has always been a dog.....same slightly bigger tires on both VX and I immediately switched all fluids to royal purple but I think it has to do with how it was taken care from the very beginning.

vt_maverick
09/23/2010, 06:48 AM
Did you drive it with and without the Power button on?

WormGod
09/23/2010, 06:58 AM
<---- S/C'd.... I doubt my input is valid. Regardless, even with the S/C, there really isn't much boost created to be much of a change. Passing speed is WONDERFUL however. ;)

I do recall though, before my larger tire/wheel package and the S/C, I never really had any complaints with the acceleration, and I am a compact sports car owner as well. With the larger wheel/tire package, the S'C really just about makes up for the difference in added weight and rotation.

If you are a sports car guy, you really need to step out of that comparison box though. When reviews say it's sporty and zippy, they are only comparing it to other heavy SUVs of it's class. My advice.... find another VX and drive it. If it's the same and lets you down, you probably need to look at another make/model. Just not what you are looking for I guess. *shrug*

And remember, you ARE looking at used cars that most likely have 50k+ miles on them. Not exactly a strapping young chap anymore. ;)

VX KAT
09/23/2010, 08:35 AM
Your prior experience is very important as to your point of view on the VX. I came from having a very fast prior big SUV....BMW with M package....so the VX does seem pretty slow to me when pulling out onto my 65 mph highway from a stop. But I have to realize what it is, a 4000 lb SUV. I haven't been using the "power" button, but I'm going to try that. Plus, I have 150 lbs of skid plate, 20 lbs bull bar & lights, about 100 lbs of roof rack/basket/full spare tire/wheel + me (:rollo:)....so I'm like a flying brick and about as aerodynamic too. But handling and off road is just awesome!
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_2712.JPG

Vaso
09/23/2010, 08:47 AM
I haven't tried power button, as I remember from my trooper it just gave a little bit of difference, but yeah another test drive is what I need and I will use power button this time. Thanx.

I am currently in Atlanta, GA and couldn't find any vehicle even within 200k range just for test drive:( Does anybody know any VX in Georgia for sale or maybe someone could just let me in on passenger seat?:)

I might seem obsessed but really need to check this out:winky:

vt_maverick
09/23/2010, 11:24 AM
Maybe johnnyapollo (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/member.php?u=33)?

VX KAT
09/23/2010, 11:41 AM
I might seem obsessed but really need to check this out:winky:

:thumbup: You'll fit right in! :goof:

Also, member "Renatka55" lives in Roswell, GA and has had her '99 Ironman for sale since May, don't think she sold it yet. Maybe you could go see hers if she still has it.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18177

Mile High VX
09/23/2010, 11:48 AM
Maybe johnnyapollo (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/member.php?u=33)?

Not sure this will help much if Joh still has his S/C installed...just a thought.

vt_maverick
09/23/2010, 11:50 AM
Doh! Good catch Mile High... it'd probably just make him yearn for something he will likely never have. :(

Mile High VX
09/23/2010, 11:51 AM
Doh! Good catch Mile High... it'd probably just make him yearn for something he will likely never have. :(

Come on VT...the guys from downunder will have this done by the time we all retire...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

vt_maverick
09/23/2010, 12:22 PM
:_brickwal Well maybe by then I'll actually be able to afford it. :rolleyes:

Vaso
09/23/2010, 12:22 PM
:thumbup: You'll fit right in! :goof:

Also, member "Renatka55" lives in Roswell, GA and has had her '99 Ironman for sale since May, don't think she sold it yet. Maybe you could go see hers if she still has it.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18177

Thanx VX KAT, I'll check:happyface

Vaso
09/23/2010, 01:00 PM
I called Renata, this VX's been sold she said...

Triathlete
09/23/2010, 02:41 PM
Come on VT...the guys from downunder will have this done by the time we all retire...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Already retired...wheres the S/C?:bwgy:

Mile High VX
09/23/2010, 05:19 PM
Already retired...wheres the S/C?:bwgy:

Congrats Billy...but were not all retired yet so you have to wait...:yesy::yeso::yesb::yesgray:

etlsport
09/23/2010, 06:46 PM
cant believe nobody has said it yet.. VXceleration!

RickOKC
09/23/2010, 07:28 PM
I put my VX in the "general V6" category. It seems to accelerate about the same as my 1996 Buick GS, 1999 Firebird, 2002 Ranger Edge & 2004 Monte Carlo SS (most of those were 3.8 liters.) Nothing spectacular, but has PLENTY of guts and isn't disappointing or worrisome by ANY means when trying to merge aggressively into traffic. I've probably only jumped into the throttle twice just to see what it would do. It's not a hot rod and I just don't drive it that way.

Vaso
09/23/2010, 11:02 PM
cant believe nobody has said it yet.. VXceleration!

VXeleration is nice word:) Of course when buying VX you shouldn't count on sports car perfomance but smtms it's good to floor and feel that your baby can make it, I need this thrust time to time:bwgy:

RamAirZ
09/23/2010, 11:23 PM
I need this thrust time to time:bwgy:

That's what she said!

vt_maverick
09/24/2010, 05:31 AM
That's what she said!

Niiiiiice... :D

etlsport
09/24/2010, 06:03 AM
back on the op subject.. my VX has good days and bad days. some days it feels very chipper.. but maybe about once every two weeks it just feels super sluggish.. havent figured out any pattern to it yet:_confused

RamAirZ
09/24/2010, 06:41 AM
back on the op subject.. my VX has good days and bad days. some days it feels very chipper.. but maybe about once every two weeks it just feels super sluggish.. havent figured out any pattern to it yet:_confused

Maybe it's going out for a late night Zu' Brew with it's friends and it's hungover?

Luna X
09/24/2010, 06:48 AM
For a mini truck, the VX is a blast to drive hard. The TOD and stiff suspension keeps the body flat in the corners, which in turn can lend itself to some spirited driving... I have fun gettin' on the throttle once I've entered a corner.
And of course, the button in always set to "Power Drive"... ;)

RallyDude
09/24/2010, 07:00 AM
I've got a S/C myself, and I don't have any complaints. Even at altitude it has power to spare.

Today's standard for accelleration is much stronger than it was back in '99-'01. For it's time, it was reasonably fast for a two-ton SUV. By today's standard it's competent, but no speed demon. You can always look for a S/C version. Some member here was going to sell his S/C VX for around 5k as the salt damage was extensive. When you consider that the S/C ran $3500 for just the part, and they are no longer in production, picking up something like this, even if you just use it as a parts vehicle could be a good idea.

You will have tons of torque. It does feel powerful, but that doesn't relate to short quarter mile times. You're not in the same league comparing it to a modern sports compact or crotch rocket.