PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

ibmx2
09/22/2010, 08:05 PM
~Any clunking when decelerating or accelerating? NO .
SIGHT NOISE FROM PARK TO DRIVE IN REAR OF CAR

excerpt from the checklist from the seller

Grif
09/22/2010, 08:07 PM
Sighting noise is not normal, no.

VX KAT
09/22/2010, 09:48 PM
I have no idea what "sight noise" is, but I've heard others mention some clunking when ALL 4 tires aren't really close in O.D. like when one or two tires are much more worn down than the others. Put any new tires on recently?

ibmx2
09/22/2010, 09:59 PM
I have no idea what "sight noise" is, but I've heard others mention some clunking when ALL 4 tires aren't really close in O.D. like when one or two tires are much more worn down than the others. Put any new tires on recently?

this is one has all matching tires
and i have not purchased it yet
if you go for park to drive do you here anything?

RamAirZ
09/22/2010, 10:04 PM
Grease your driveshaft, the front/rear u-joints and the slip joint. Should help it.

VX KAT
09/22/2010, 10:09 PM
this is one has all matching tires
and i have not purchased it yet
if you go for park to drive do you here anything?

OH yeah, forgot you hadn't purchased it yet....sorry.

Yes, there is some noise when switched from P to D and into R.
I know most of the time it's "OK" and nothing wrong, but I recall many mentioning a "drivetrain thunk".
MARK (deermagnet)...wasn't there a TSB on it???? I seem to recall there was, something to do with lash.

RamAirZ
09/22/2010, 10:27 PM
I know mine was fairly noticeable and after I greased up my driveshaft it was pretty much gone. A u-joint will do that

PK
09/22/2010, 10:32 PM
IMHO, the driveline clunk as you move in and out of Park, is caused by incorrect operation when parking on a slope.
If you -
apply the brakes to stop, then -
apply the hand brake, then -
release the foot bake and let the car settle, then -
shift into park -

there should be no noise when you shift out of park, because there is no stress on the parking gear teeth.

If the above procedure is not followed, then the car rests on the parking teeth in the transmission, and as soon as they dis-engage there is a clunk.

Any automatic car does this. It is normal.

Now, if there is still a clunk when the above procedure is followed, or just shifting in and out of park without releasing the foot brake, then you have a problem.

Anyway - just my opinion - every fool has one (or more).:yesy::yeso::smilewink

PK

RamAirZ
09/22/2010, 10:50 PM
IMHO, the driveline clunk as you move in and out of Park, is caused by incorrect operation when parking on a slope.
If you -
apply the brakes to stop, then -
apply the hand brake, then -
release the foot bake and let the car settle, then -
shift into park -

there should be no noise when you shift out of park, because there is no stress on the parking gear teeth.

If the above procedure is not followed, then the car rests on the parking teeth in the transmission, and as soon as they dis-engage there is a clunk.

Any automatic car does this. It is normal.

Now, if there is still a clunk when the above procedure is followed, or just shifting in and out of park without releasing the foot brake, then you have a problem.

Anyway - just my opinion - every fool has one (or more).:yesy::yeso::smilewink

PK

Agreed, but seeing as he said it's coming from the rear I'm assuming (we know what that starts with) it's the driveshaft "engaging" when you shift the truck into gear, and not so much as you take it out of park.

deermagnet
09/23/2010, 05:21 AM
I think a slight noise is very normal on an older vehicle. This is not a luxury sedan or something. I remember when these were fairly new people talked about driveline noise and clunks and I didn't think I had any. Then I made a point to listen close and yeah, I had some clunks, but I didn't even notice cuz' it seemed completely normal in a truck like this. It's not an Escalade.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/kaats/clunk.gif

Mark

WormGod
09/23/2010, 07:01 AM
Sounds like U-Joints to me. Grease 'em up and give it a go. If that's a no go, maybe some new ones are needed. Just an educated guess without seeing/hearing it.

ibmx2
09/23/2010, 07:26 AM
again as always very helpfull
thanks