PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!

DeafVX
09/02/2003, 06:21 PM
I am in the middle of installing my new HU and hit a major problem! One the Antennae wire is too short so I need toget one from best buy tomorrow. But the new head unit won't turn on at all. I checked and re did the connections in the wire harness that ran the power, ground, acc, illumination and it does not work. I tried plugging the factory head unit into the stock harness and that won't turn on. The antennae connection is resting in the DIN so I do not know if that is causing the problem. Can anyone please help? Is that anntenae cable shorting the system? The fuse on the back of the new radio is okay, but I do not know which fuse in the cabin is for the radio so I have no idea if it is just a fuse.
:(

kpaske
09/02/2003, 07:08 PM
Your antenna resting in the DIN opening should not short out the radio; if it did for some reason, the fuse would blow. I would double and triple check your power and ground connections - particularly the ground - in fact, you said you grounded it through the factory harness - i would ground it directly to the chassis (or something directly connected to the chassis, such as the HU mounting assembly). Just find a bolt that's attached to something large and metal, sand down the surface to remove paint and dirt, connect the ground wire to a ring connector, and bolt it down. I think this will most likely solve your problem. Also be sure to check all the fuses; there might be one in a fuse box in addition to the one in the back of the HU.

AnalogVX
09/02/2003, 07:27 PM
The fuse box is located at the end of the dash under a vent. Pull of the cover and there should be a "map" indicating which fuses are which. Do not confuse this with the relays under the kick panel at your left foot. I'll bet it is just a fuse. Make sure you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery before doing any electrical work.