PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt engine!

Vaso
09/22/2010, 01:56 PM
Hi folks, I am new here and trying to find out more about VX as I am gonna buy one, my question is how reliable it is to buy VX with rebuilt engine provided it has just 7-10k miles on it? Thank you :winky:

tom4bren
09/22/2010, 01:59 PM
As long as the engine rebuild was done properly AND you keep an eye on the oil level, you should be fine. One member has over 222 thousand miles in his VX and still going strong.

These engines can use/lose oil. It is highly recommended that you check the oil level every time you refuel.

Vaso
09/22/2010, 02:03 PM
I used to have isuzu trooper '97 with 3.2 engine and it burnt about 1 quart of oil between oil changes, u r right these engines do like oil taste:)

tom4bren
09/22/2010, 02:12 PM
& to make it worse, they don't use at a constant rate. At one refueling, the oil will still be full, at the next you may be down 1/2 quart.

Vaso
09/22/2010, 02:33 PM
I just was checking every 1k mile to be sure, otherwise engine was fine. It had over 200k when i sold it and no problems at all. But these engines are not good at fuel economy, 10mpg city and 15 hwy ...

Vaso
09/22/2010, 02:36 PM
By the way what's real MPG for VX? I've searched and they say it's 15/19, is that so?

tom4bren
09/22/2010, 03:07 PM
That sounds about right.

RamAirZ
09/22/2010, 04:09 PM
1 quart between changes is NOTHING, mine uses about 5 :laughing: but runs like a darn champ and gives me ZERO issues so I deal with it. And yes, I've tried to remedy it to no luck. I just hit 140K the other day

Marlin
09/22/2010, 04:28 PM
1 quart between changes is NOTHING, mine uses about 5 :laughing: but runs like a darn champ and gives me ZERO issues so I deal with it. And yes, I've tried to remedy it to no luck. I just hit 140K the other day

Damn dude, thats crazy.

Bob Barker
09/22/2010, 05:34 PM
Ur VX is like a crack addick RamairZ!

atilla_the_fun
09/22/2010, 06:48 PM
Ram air z, you should try putting in a catch can off your PCV breathers. It doesn't fix anything, but I'm curious if your consumption is burned consumption, or forced ejection. Also, whats your oil weight?

RamAirZ
09/22/2010, 09:29 PM
I ran 10-30 the first change and 10-40 since. The thing runs like a damn top, no issues what-so-ever other than having to check my oil frequently (which I do anyways). I was averaging about 17mpg before the roof rack, lights and spare tire up top and even with all that I'm at about 15mpg, I'd say at 140K miles she's doing pretty good other than being an oil whore. I don't have a catch can on it but have been thinking about installing one just to see as well, I actually think I have one around here somewhere. I agree it's freaking crazy, it's probably why the guy sold it so cheap :laughing: I just buy 2 jugs of oil when it's time for a change. I carry the 2nd jug in with all my other "tools" in the spare tire area.

Vaso
09/22/2010, 10:37 PM
I ran 10-30 the first change and 10-40 since. The thing runs like a damn top, no issues what-so-ever other than having to check my oil frequently (which I do anyways). I was averaging about 17mpg before the roof rack, lights and spare tire up top and even with all that I'm at about 15mpg, I'd say at 140K miles she's doing pretty good other than being an oil whore. I don't have a catch can on it but have been thinking about installing one just to see as well, I actually think I have one around here somewhere. I agree it's freaking crazy, it's probably why the guy sold it so cheap :laughing: I just buy 2 jugs of oil when it's time for a change. I carry the 2nd jug in with all my other "tools" in the spare tire area.

Your truck should have leakage or it just burns oil ? Do u note any spots on ground after parking?

RamAirZ
09/22/2010, 10:55 PM
I have a small leak but nothing that would cause me to go through 5qt's. I can run it all day, park it and get maybe a quarter to half dollar spot on the ground overnight. Being that it's a 99' and the common issue of burning oil in the early 3.5's I've settled on that it just burns oil. I'm surprised it doesn't smoke. Also seeing as I can run it for a long highway run (like my trip to Orlando last time) and no oil burning smell or anything but I have to check it when I fill up because it's gone down a bit. It goes hand-in-hand with the miles driven, doesn't matter if it's 3 months between changes or 2 weeks because of a long trip.

rowhard
09/23/2010, 06:25 AM
I can run it all day, park it and get maybe a quarter to half dollar spot on the ground overnight.

Have you check it for leaks when running? what you describe there is a static leak, no oil pressure. Try running it parked with the idle up and see if you can see anything.

etlsport
09/23/2010, 06:50 AM
I have a small leak but nothing that would cause me to go through 5qt's. I can run it all day, park it and get maybe a quarter to half dollar spot on the ground overnight. Being that it's a 99' and the common issue of burning oil in the early 3.5's I've settled on that it just burns oil. I'm surprised it doesn't smoke. Also seeing as I can run it for a long highway run (like my trip to Orlando last time) and no oil burning smell or anything but I have to check it when I fill up because it's gone down a bit. It goes hand-in-hand with the miles driven, doesn't matter if it's 3 months between changes or 2 weeks because of a long trip.

next time you are driving at night check, take off hard and watch your side view mirror.. i always get a small puff of smoke when the RPMs first jump, but its only noticeable at night. only fluid that ever needs to be topped off is the oil, so I assume thats what it is

RamAirZ
09/23/2010, 09:05 AM
I think I have noticed it before but it was very faint but haven't seen it again, I'll have to try it again.

Have you check it for leaks when running? what you describe there is a static leak, no oil pressure. Try running it parked with the idle up and see if you can see anything.

I've done that, can't see a thing and nothing hits the ground. It's weird. No burning oil smell, no wetness except around the oil pan which I'm pretty sure it's the gasket there. It's not soaked or anything either, just a little. My engine is just a thirsty mother f'er.

samneil2000
09/23/2010, 02:24 PM
I've done that, can't see a thing and nothing hits the ground. It's weird. No burning oil smell, no wetness except around the oil pan which I'm pretty sure it's the gasket there. It's not soaked or anything either, just a little. My engine is just a thirsty mother f'er.

I think you got the ultra-rare 2-stroke model VX. Does it make a high pitch sound when you rev it up? :bgwb:

RamAirZ
09/23/2010, 09:49 PM
haha, I think so too.