PDA

View Full Version : New tires and the TOD system

Arachnid J
09/02/2003, 02:00 PM
I need to replace my front tires and they are the original stock tires (Brigestone Dueler HT's). Do I need to replace all four tires or can I just replace the two and what kind of effect will it have on my TOD system. I have been told that it will cause problems if I only replace the two. Any info. will be appreciated.

Tone
09/02/2003, 02:37 PM
I believe you will want to put the new, taller tires on the back if memory serves me correct. All 4 is the ideal way to do it though but requires reqular rotations. You’d be better off to find someone getting rid of their slightly used stock tires - might want to post that.

Cptnmorgan
09/02/2003, 05:47 PM
I'll agree with Tone on this one. If you put the taller tires up front, the TOD will assume the rear tires are slipping, and engage the front. Potentially causing damage to the TOD........;eekr; I found out the hard way when a rear tire went flat, and I put the spare on the back. Having oversize tires, the TOD went absolutely nuts with the smaller tire on back......:luck:

psychos2
09/02/2003, 05:53 PM
http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/004361.html

try this link . someone on the old board is giving them away!!! shawn

HotFlyer
09/03/2003, 06:38 AM
Can the TOD be shut off to use the spare tire? Maybe pull a fuse? Then replaced afterwards.

Howard

Jolly Roger VX'er
09/03/2003, 02:23 PM
According to your owners manual, if you have a flat on either rear tire...you have to switch a good front tire to the rear and use the spare only on the front. Obviously, if you have a flat on the front you simply use your spare there. However, I posed that question to the other board (club VMag) awhile back....asking "why not just disable the TOD by removing the fuse." The answer I got was that you can...but remember that you also lose Anti-Lock brakes which are on the same fuse circuit. You will still have brakes...just without the Anti-Lock capabilities. I figure that this is what I would do as long as I don't need 4X4 or anti-lock brakes!

Tone
09/03/2003, 02:33 PM
The bigger problem is the rear LSD diff - different sized tires on the rear will quickly wear out the clutches in it.