PDA

View Full Version : want to buy a vx but...???

vxfocus
09/17/2010, 03:41 PM
i have been wanting to get a vx from the first time i saw one..almost ready to pull the trigger,but i have some questions that maybe you guys can help me with
first.what is the difference between all the different models..ironman,proton,firefox.ect
second.do you guys find it hard to find parts?be it maintenance or replacement parts.i know that isuzu's are not sold in the u.s. anymore so i didnt know if parts stores have stuff for the vx or if it will be a major pain in the *** to get parts.
and last....are there certain things i need to look for when test driving/checking out a possible vx to buy?
thanx for any help and i hope to be joining you all in the vx community
Ken

circmand
09/17/2010, 04:05 PM
i have been wanting to get a vx from the first time i saw one..almost ready to pull the trigger,but i have some questions that maybe you guys can help me with
first.what is the difference between all the different models..ironman,proton,firefox.ect
second.do you guys find it hard to find parts?be it maintenance or replacement parts.i know that isuzu's are not sold in the u.s. anymore so i didnt know if parts stores have stuff for the vx or if it will be a major pain in the *** to get parts.
and last....are there certain things i need to look for when test driving/checking out a possible vx to buy?
thanx for any help and i hope to be joining you all in the vx community
Ken

Theris no difference the names are of colors not models. The ironman has different decals and floor mats except for that all the same.

Parts for the VX are readily availe as they are interchangable with the trooper and several other vehicles. Body parts are a problem

What to look for mostly what you look for in any 10 year old car but do a search for VXKAT questionaire it does a very complete job of covering the idiosyncranies of the VX

vxfocus
09/17/2010, 04:28 PM
thank you!!

H3_VX
09/17/2010, 04:31 PM
proton is yellow and foxfire is like a maroon.

VX KAT
09/17/2010, 05:08 PM
The '99s have different HVAC control buttons (and I think they don't have "auto" on the fan function)

The LHDs were imported to the U.S. only in '99, '00, '01, but the JDMs (RHD) were first made in '97 and '98...but not imported here of course.

Just like circ said, the Ironman is just a series of badges...IRONMAN is embossed onto the leather seat back, embroidered on the floor mats, C-pillar badge and a sticker on the rear gate. I think I listed them all....

Good luck to you!

Here's the questionnaire:

Since this is a group of enthusiasts we recently put together a pretty detailed checklist, very specific to the VX and covers many issues that have arisen over time since the model is basically 10+ yrs old on average.

COMPREHENSIVE VX QUESTIONNAIRE /CHECKLIST FOR BUYERS OR SELLERS
Here's the expanded "New Buyer" or "Seller" checklist:

~Any service history records?

~How long have you owned it?

~Electric windows work properly or bind?

~Condition of window rubber track/gaskets...(many have ripped or been cut)

~Look behind door panels to see if vapor barrier is present - (may indicate previous work on windows)

~Window regulator /motor been replaced?

~SBC brackets ever installed on windows?

~Any oil consumption noted, under ANY conditions? (some seem to consume a little when on prolonged highway driving)

~Chrome wheels peeling? (many peeled on the inner side)

~ABS - Any ABS light problems? Make sure ABS light comes on when key is first turned to ON position. If not, could a problem and / or bulb has been removed. Note, many have disconnected ABS system, or never repaired it when it went out, and truck seems to function fine (just no ABS).

~OEM CD player still work correctly or ERR3 code? Any jammed CDs?

~Any problems with TOD?

~Any clunking when decelerating or accelerating?

~Brand & model of tires & approx tread remaining-

~Do all 4 tires match in brand, size, model, AIR PRESSURE & wear? (TOD system will often make severe clunking noises if all 4 aren't pretty "equal" in all these terms)

~How long have these current 4 tires been on?

~Timing belt changed?

~Original OEM brake pads or replacements?

~Any fluids dripping, ever?

~Last time & what fluids have been changed?

~What type of fluids (synthetic oil or regular, motor oil, diff, tranny, transf case)?

~Evaluate/describe condition of all cladding - scrapes, holes, deformation, dryness, chalky appearance, any evidence of being "painted" in any way?

~Are all cladding screws present? Any striped?

~Condition of 4 screw knobs on inside rear door panel (often break off)

~Condition of inside door opening handle/levers & mechanism (sometimes broken)

~Any unusual /excessive vibrations - very subjective of course

~Any problems with motor mounts?

~Determine the history of the car's physical location, if possible (i.e. East Coast, potential rust, desert sun (UV), etc)

~Inspect thoroughly for rust!!
Any evidence of rusted bolts anywhere?
Is rear gas tank skid plate or tail pipe showing rust?

~Status of front bumper reinforcement bar? (Often rusts off completely)

~Status of rear license plate light/socket/bracket -(often severely rusts) -will give indication if it was in a rust belt area

~Condition of paint - Describe. (fading, chipping, scratches, repainted areas)

~Condition of hood insert - Describe. (very often cracked)

~Condition of plastic headlight housings - any crazing, fogged, cracked, etc...or been restored/polished, etc....(very often cloudy/fogged)

~Rubber headlight gaskets- present at all?, ripped, condition

~Evaluate engine bay- clean? dirty? Any evidence of leaking fluids (old or new) of any type?? Evaluate fluid levels.

~Evaluate air filter- excessively dirty? OEM or after-market?

~Has muffler ever been replaced? What's the status of the current muffler? Rusted, surface rust, etc? OEM, after-market? (Since, as I understand it, these mufflers are no longer available, so an aftermarket one with some modification to the pipes may be required.)

~Has it had to go through emissions testing recently? (Some states require for registration, some don't)

~Ever been lifted or torsion bars cranked?

~Condition of CV joints? (Can be damaged after being lifted)

~Battery- status, condition and age

~Any unusual flashing of any lights on dash or shifter? (Mode selection switch may be bad)

~Any odors inside, such as smoke?

~Condition of leather seats...scrapes, rips, tears, wear, abrasion, driver's side seat bolster

~Condition of center console padded armrest -(very often cracked and split where driver's elbow has rested on it)

~Condition of leather steering wheel - (often heavily scraped up)

~Condition of levers that bring seat back forward to allow access to rear seats (often broken)

~Does it have an OEM roof rack?

~Are OEM rail caps in place and/or available?

~Ever taken off road?

~OEM or after-market tail pipe?

~Status of tail pipe - any deformation may indicate off road use

~Status of rear lower cladding & rear gas tank skid plate- scrapes may indicate off road use

~Status of undercarriage overall - scrapes, damage, etc... may indicate off road use

~Any known repairs?

~Any extra parts on hand?

~Any modifications done previously that have now been removed? Describe.

list last modified: 6/8/10 11:09 am

And here's a shameless plug for Foxfire color: :heart::heart::heart:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_1643.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3260/DSCN1837.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3260/DSCN1854.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_1396.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/501/DSCN0960.JPG

Grif
09/17/2010, 08:27 PM
Those are excellent pics Kat... guess I never perused your gallery before.

Marlin
09/17/2010, 08:47 PM
Well, parts are not 100% available. There are a lot of things that are incredibly expensive or completely unavailable, 01 AC compressor, unique to the VX, 02 trooper compressor will fit, but requires some modding, still not available at parts stores, just yards or 1K from Isuzu. Any after market parts are gonna be hard to find, especially if you are gonna wheel it for real. You have to mod and fab your own. As a street vehicle, it is serviceable. MPG is eh, but as far as off road performance, not much out there that can compete with it and its head turning appearance. Be prepared to potentially spend some bucks on repairs, unless you are mechanically savvy. I love my VX, and wouldn't trade it for the world (well, maybe a D90), but I have learned to do my own work, which is awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Peruse the forum for awhile, do some research, it is all here on the forum. If you decide this is the vehicle for you, welcome to the family!!!!! If not, no worries, this vehicle is not for the faint of heart. I know I sound like a dick, but I have a student at work that just jumped in, he did no research, and is finding out how expensive some things are.
Good luck!!!!!! (Proton is faster than the other colors due to lighter weight paint and materials

vxfocus
09/22/2010, 11:43 AM
i am a mechanic so all work will be done by me.no off roading for me..i know what a waste..i just love the look of these trucks

sloop
09/22/2010, 12:16 PM
i am a mechanic so all work will be done by me.no off roading for me..i know what a waste..i just love the look of these trucks

What are you looking for and How much are you looking to spend!

vxfocus
09/23/2010, 06:09 PM
lookin for a yellow or silver..about 6k got my eye on a few driving to cleveland this weekend to look at a silver 99

pbkid
09/23/2010, 09:08 PM
damn i love that firefox color ;)

sloop
09/24/2010, 03:55 AM
lookin for a yellow or silver..about 6k got my eye on a few driving to cleveland this weekend to look at a silver 99

I've seen a couple around here for sale I live abot 10 minutes south of Cleveland, If you ever want to come and check one out let me know I have a Proton. I don't know how many you have seen or drove you could take for a ride so you know what is normal and what is not,It sits in the Garage I dirve it in the summer once a month(This year) It has been sitting for 3 years but would give you something to compare to!

vxfocus
09/25/2010, 08:58 AM
sloop thanx for the offer.
i have never driven one.i called the guy in cleveland last night and some guy in texas bought it all ready.so back to looking.i really want a proton but the closest one i can find is south of bloomington il.but i am thinking about it.i would settle for a silver one but being from pittsburgh area a black and yellow one would be cool

VX KAT
09/25/2010, 10:22 AM
but i am thinking about it.i would settle for a silver one but being from pittsburgh area a black and yellow one would be cool

Oh boy, you need to talk to "circmand" Dave who's from Pittsburgh too (as I am also -had relatives in New Stanton, Kittanning, Ford City)...he bought his Proton for just that reason, AND when he was fixing up his Jensen Healy...guess what color he had it painted? Yup! Proton yellow so he has two Pittsburgh Steelers color matched cars!
Dave- jump in here!!

p.s.....what about driving over toward Philly area as there's 3 or 4 there that you could see (etlsport, deermagnet, spike ...couple others too, Jolly Roger is up toward Erie, USMCvxOFFROAD in in central PA, hyperkid is near Hagerstown and he has a Proton). ANd forgot to mention there's "PittVXr" in PGH, and another guy, something like "lfranz" but I'd have to check his user ID name, that's not quite right, and they're both in PGH.

p.s.s.- just saw this Proton listed for sale on the forum..it's in NJ...we almost all had to go pretty long distances to get our VXs, so this should be considered" normal" actually...
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18913

vt_maverick
09/25/2010, 10:33 AM
...i would settle for a silver one but being from pittsburgh area a black and yellow one would be cool

Don't settle! You're going to have to scour eBay, AutoTrader, CL, etc. for any color, so you may as well hold out for what you really want! You don't want to go to a VX meet and see someone else driving your color do you?

vxfocus
09/25/2010, 03:16 PM
its not that i hate the silver just like the proton a little better,but i know what you mean

sloop
09/25/2010, 05:25 PM
sloop thanx for the offer.
i have never driven one.i called the guy in cleveland last night and some guy in texas bought it all ready.so back to looking.i really want a proton but the closest one i can find is south of bloomington il.but i am thinking about it.i would settle for a silver one but being from pittsburgh area a black and yellow one would be cool

Yeah Being a Penguins and Steelers fan Black and Gold is the way to go! thats why I bought mine anytime you want come take it for a ride you are welcome too.
P.S I have have nfl network so if it's a sunday don't worry you will not miss a Steelers game for Sure and I drink Miller Light (LOL)

Etfren
09/25/2010, 09:47 PM
Well, parts are not 100% available. There are a lot of things that are incredibly expensive or completely unavailable, 01 AC compressor, unique to the VX, 02 trooper compressor will fit, but requires some modding, still not available at parts stores, just yards or 1K from Isuzu. Any after market parts are gonna be hard to find, especially if you are gonna wheel it for real. You have to mod and fab your own. As a street vehicle, it is serviceable. MPG is eh, but as far as off road performance, not much out there that can compete with it and its head turning appearance. Be prepared to potentially spend some bucks on repairs, unless you are mechanically savvy. I love my VX, and wouldn't trade it for the world (well, maybe a D90), but I have learned to do my own work, which is awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Peruse the forum for awhile, do some research, it is all here on the forum. If you decide this is the vehicle for you, welcome to the family!!!!! If not, no worries, this vehicle is not for the faint of heart. I know I sound like a dick, but I have a student at work that just jumped in, he did no research, and is finding out how expensive some things are.
Good luck!!!!!! (Proton is faster than the other colors due to lighter weight paint and materials

I was browsing Craigslist for a VX and stumbled across this.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/1922099227.html

No idea if he is right, but if he is, there is another place to look for hard to come by parts.

Marlin
09/26/2010, 06:29 AM
I was browsing Craigslist for a VX and stumbled across this.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/1922099227.html

No idea if he is right, but if he is, there is another place to look for hard to come by parts.

Thanks for the post, but that is a no go. The older VXs used the GM style compressor, the 01s used a totally different model.

vt_maverick
09/26/2010, 11:10 AM
So weird to me that Isuzu changed to a different compressor for the last model year of the VX. I just don't understand how that makes sense from a manufacturing/cost efficiency perspective. Marlin you're sure that Isuzu didn't use the same compressor in any of their other vehicles at the time? That's about the only reason I could see for changing it up; if Isuzu was going to get a volume discount for installing it across their product lines.

Marlin
09/26/2010, 12:44 PM
As I have said, the 02 trooper will fit, but its not the same. I am not sure about the 03 and so on, I know mine came out of a 02. You can't get the 02 trooper compressor anywhere either, try it on autozone or whatnot...unavailable.
I am not the end all for this, I just know I did a lot of footwork talking to salvage yards and online dealers to find one, after ordering two different ones from autozone and pepboys. The parts database is WRONG for the 01. If you look at some of the EBay compressors, they will list "99 and 00 VX compressor", ever wonder why they don't say 01 as well?

vt_maverick
09/26/2010, 12:58 PM
They must have gotten chewed out by too many Marlins... :D

Marlin
09/26/2010, 01:58 PM
They must have gotten chewed out by too many Marlins... :D

Actually, I thought those auctions were just overlooked, since I sometimes see stuf for 97-01 Vehicross and whatnot, so I ordered one. The guy asked me to call him when I listed mine as an 01. He proceeded to explain to me the problem, and refunded my money. Nice guy. I didn't 100% believe him, so I went to autozone and ordered one. Got mine all torn apart and removed, and wouldn't you know it, the new one didn't fit. That was when the adventure began...