or low mileage
and expensive

Who buys what and for what reason

atilla_the_fun
09/16/2010, 07:34 PM
Scout II, bad ***, convertible top, great for summer fun

Anita
09/16/2010, 08:31 PM
74 Karmann ghia.. That thing ran forever. Unique, cool looking, simple to maintain and fun to drive.
2000 VX - fell in love with the looks. I obsessed about it until I finally picked it up from the dealer. Unique looks and tons of fun to drive. Solid.
2010 Cad SRX.. the cushy, unique looking and posh.

I am a lover of design, uniqueness and beauty. If the oscura belta traits (under the hood) are as amazing as the outside, that is perfection. I'm sorry to say that mpg doesnt figure too prominantly in my decisions.

RickOKC
09/16/2010, 08:34 PM
For me it has everything to do with that balance between reliability, price point, risk and my skill-set as a fairly inexperienced shade-tree mechanic. Sometimes I buy expensive-ish (I ain't rich) and low mileage/new when it comes to a vehicle I just don't completely trust for whatever reason and sometimes I'll go high mileage a cheap if my research shows a history of reliability.

There is no one answer that covers everything. I would never have considered buying my VX at 121K miles if it hadn't come with such good service history. At the same time, I sold my "new" 99 Firebird in 2001 because it was about to go out of warranty (lost a transmission and 2 rear ends on that V6 manual!) It's all about the warm fuzzies. :)

MMMMMmmmmm, Karmann Ghia - YUM / Schwinnng!

RamAirZ
09/16/2010, 08:44 PM
I tend to buy based on what I like and condition, mileage has never bothered me unless it's super high, but if the price was right I'm still ok with it. I trust my mechanical skills to handle any of the issues that would come with a vehicle with higher mileage. Like I got a great deal on my VX and it had 133K miles when I bought it, but the price was right and it was in nice shape. Also I tend to want to modify EVERYTHING on most of the vehicles I buy, so they end up "new" in the end anyways and the way I want, that's why I rarely buy new vehicles. The VX is the newest vehicle I have ever bought myself (well tied with another 99' I had forever ago, it was my first and ONLY new car). Now my wife can keep the new cars, she bought a Camry new in 07'.

WormGod
09/17/2010, 06:55 AM
I will buy anything if the impulse is there.

Sadly, the impulse never gets it's hands on a good Land Rover Defender buy. :(

Scott Harness
09/17/2010, 08:26 AM

Sadly, the impulse never gets it's hands on a good Land Rover Defender buy. :(

X2...I've had somewhere in the range of 40 automobiles:yesb:
I could probably retire if I had saved all that money.:upsetgray oh well I had loads of fun

RickOKC
09/17/2010, 08:33 AM
I thought npfgasmask owned the Impulse. ;)

Marlin
09/17/2010, 08:48 AM
Depends on the purpose of the vehicle, for the VX, mileage is of no concern, perusing the threads, it seems that the guys with 50-60k miles have the same problems as those with 120k miles. I think its more of an age issue.
FOr the tow rig, miles was important, dont wanna tow the VX cross country and hav ethe tow rig break down.
Sports car, parts availability, I would love to have a yellow Honda S2K(same paint code as the VX)

Cobrajet
09/18/2010, 11:19 AM
Depends on the purpose of the vehicle, for the VX, mileage is of no concern, perusing the threads, it seems that the guys with 50-60k miles have the same problems as those with 120k miles. I think its more of an age issue.
FOr the tow rig, miles was important, dont wanna tow the VX cross country and hav ethe tow rig break down.
Sports car, parts availability, I would love to have a yellow Honda S2K(same paint code as the VX)I had a SPA yellow 2001 S2000, and the color is not the same as the VX. Spa yellow has a pearl layer to it, and is really purty! I actually looked at a used 2007 Spa yellow S2k about a month ago, but convinced myself that I didn't need it. I don't need it... I don't need it... I don't...

Marlin
09/18/2010, 01:16 PM
I had a SPA yellow 2001 S2000, and the color is not the same as the VX. Spa yellow has a pearl layer to it, and is really purty! I actually looked at a used 2007 Spa yellow S2k about a month ago, but convinced myself that I didn't need it. I don't need it... I don't need it... I don't...

Well, the color is close enough I can't see the difference, my neighbor has one, we park em next to each other, it looks the same to me. But I guess all black cars look the same to me as well, even though some have glitter, metal flake, hints of green and so on....