PDA

View Full Version : engine issues(it grenaded)

lfranz166
09/14/2010, 01:42 PM
I just shot a rod out of the bottom of my motor if anyone can help me find a motor i would be very grateful, the local junkyard has a 99 topper motor with 40k on it but they swear to me it wont work in my vx

circmand
09/14/2010, 02:45 PM
with knowledge swears something wont work trust them. Use the search feature here and many suggestions will appear from ebay to suppliers of engines.

RickOKC
09/14/2010, 02:45 PM
Until one of the gurus reads this and responds, you could start by reading through this thread (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17851&highlight=engine+replace) (and use it for more search tips.)

Y33TREKker
09/14/2010, 03:08 PM
Do you mind my asking the details of the engine when it went; mileage, oil type used, etc?

Scott Harness
09/14/2010, 03:30 PM
Check the web links section for All Hyundai and Isuzu Auto Recycling
that's where I got mine...shipped it from Cali...very satisfied...warranty
reasonable prices.
It's been in for nearly three years,two trips to Moab No problems

RamAirZ
09/14/2010, 04:33 PM
The 3.5 in that Trooper WILL work. Yes the later model ones are better but it WILL work. As long as you don't try and use a direct injection 3.5, you'll be fine. Just swap over your intake manifold assembly with all the attached sensors/throttle body etc. I believe the Trooper used a drive-by-wire throttle body assembly, that may be why they say it won't work, but if you use your intake manifold etc, you'll be fine

Ascinder
09/14/2010, 07:40 PM
I have an engine just waiting to be put in. PM me for pricing, but for the description and pics look HERE (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17836)

circmand
09/15/2010, 08:19 AM
The 3.5 in that Trooper WILL work. Yes the later model ones are better but it WILL work. As long as you don't try and use a direct injection 3.5, you'll be fine. Just swap over your intake manifold assembly with all the attached sensors/throttle body etc. I believe the Trooper used a drive-by-wire throttle body assembly, that may be why they say it won't work, but if you use your intake manifold etc, you'll be fine

and you can drop a diesel in it as well. From the posting I got the poster wanted to have an easy drop in everything works and you do not have to rig or modify anything to accomplish the project. If I remember the earlier postng on the Trooper engine not only do you have to use the intake manifold as you stated but the computer does not sync up and there are other issues as wll depending on year.

lfranz166
09/15/2010, 09:04 AM
i just got a price quote from rising sun today they want $2 grand for a reman with all new everything and its a long block, so i guess i will go that route

the blown motor had 144k on it ive had the VX since june first and changed the oil 2wice since then after only putting 4500 miles on, i changed the oil the day after i brought it home because i had no baseline as to when it was done just the sellers word.

i had the cruise set on the highway when it happened so im not sure of rpm and also i had the radio up so i didnt notice any excess noise

RamAirZ
09/15/2010, 09:13 AM
and you can drop a diesel in it as well. From the posting I got the poster wanted to have an easy drop in everything works and you do not have to rig or modify anything to accomplish the project. If I remember the earlier postng on the Trooper engine not only do you have to use the intake manifold as you stated but the computer does not sync up and there are other issues as wll depending on year.

Computer won't have any problems, if people can swap a 3.2 out for a 3.5 using the stock 3.2 computer, the 3.5 shouldn't have any issues, it's been done before. If you want to not do ANYTHING to swap then you need an engine from a VX but swapping intake manifolds is not a hard task, it's cake work compared to swapping the engine out. You wouldn't have to rig or modify anything, just swap the intakes, should all just bolt right on. Now the later 01' and up engines went to an ION Sensing system but the engine will still swap over using your stock electronics, it still has the crankshaft sensor etc that your current computer would need.

And lfranz, that long block route sounds like a good deal!

lfranz166
09/15/2010, 09:34 AM
yes indeed it includes everything i believe all i have to swap out are my wires and fuel system

RamAirZ
09/15/2010, 09:36 AM
and bolt on your front accessories. The intake manifold with fuel rails etc you'll just swap over, that's a good deal.

VX KAT
09/15/2010, 09:46 AM
the blown motor had 144k on it ive had the VX since june first and changed the oil 2wice since then after only putting 4500 miles on, i changed the oil the day after i brought it home because i had no baseline as to when it was done just the sellers word.

i had the cruise set on the highway when it happened so im not sure of rpm and also i had the radio up so i didnt notice any excess noise

Sorry to hear this, but sounds like the reman is a good deal.
I've noticed the only times mine consumes ANY oil is when I'm highway driving for long periods....like 1/4 qt in 450 miles in an 8 hr stretch (driving to or from Moab). Were you driving a long distance? How long since you'd checked the oil level?

lfranz166
09/16/2010, 03:57 PM
i was on a 2 hour drive to meet my GF parents for the first time, soo they had to come rescue me roadside. fortunately we went to a winery up on lake erie soo my anger at the engine situation was numbed by excessive wine tasting
(no one told me to spit it out)

anyhow i had changed the oil about 2 weeks prior and it was full when i hit the road that day

also guys I nearly shoe horned in a 5.3 chevy and used my old 700r4 tranny buut with that price from rising sun i cant pass that up, plus they say they can up the compression as well so i figure the 10:1 of the DI axiom and a reflashed ecm should net me about 250hp plus i was thinking of having my intake ported as well and since my county has no emissions i may have to just ditch the catalytic converters all together and run true dual exhaust

BigSwede
09/16/2010, 06:52 PM
I believe the Trooper used a drive-by-wire throttle body assembly, that may be why they say it won't work, but if you use your intake manifold etc, you'll be fine
Troopers didn't go to drive-by-wire until 2000.

RamAirZ
09/16/2010, 08:19 PM
Troopers didn't go to drive-by-wire until 2000.

I wasn't sure which year they changed but knew they did sometime around there. Thanks Steve.

And lfranz, ya that price is really nice, and you'll be happy with it I'm sure. Sounds like that wine tasting was fun! I did that a few times when I lived in Cali, going up to the vineyards was fun