PDA

View Full Version : My first car

Volksnick
09/13/2010, 09:46 PM
I was 15 years old and searching for what would be my awesome ride. My old man has always been a car guy (most of my life he had 15+ vehicles and none were projects, none would go over 75k miles and rarely did he have a car over 5-7 years old...the age limits has changed since then). He would often go to Detroit in Jan for the auto show and check out the concepts and come back telling me about the super cool concept cars that everyone was dreaming up. Well, he was in a hard press to get me to check out everything and we test drove jeeps, volvos, an M3, all sorts of crap and I was kinda feeling the 80s to early 90s suburbans. I had been reading alot of Four Wheeler Magazine and Petersons 4 Wheel Drive. Dad came in one day and said, hey lets go look at this isuzu they have down a the dealership. Its different and quirky and kinda looks like you. I was hesitant and he showed me the Four Wheeler of the Year article (2000) in my magazine about this little car. Impressive. We went down and checked out the '99 Vehicross. It was used. 1,400 miles and still very nice. I was digging the isuzu pickup in the show room while dad talked. Finally we got the keys and went for a drive. Very tight drive. It seemed to handle as well as the BMW, porsche and Jags pops had, but it had 4 wheel drive, room to haul and a rugged appeal. I remembering stopping the car in a parking lot and we went ALL over it. We decided to drive back and negotiate. On Jan 4th, 2000, we bougth my isuzu vehicross.

We put a trailer hitch on it, electric brakes module, a rear facing camera (doesnt work anymore) and some fog lights on it. Other than that, she has stayed entirely stock the past 10 years. We did high school together, College together. She has battle scars for all my adventures and coke splatter stains on the ceiling from the two sonic Route 44's my highschool girlfriend spilled while avoiding a racoon. A hole in the back rug from hauling a car battery for my VW bug. I took her to Uwharrie once back in april 2006 with my now brother-in-law and rode along in his Troop. I plan on going back this October.

I met a guy in a white VX two years ago in WV at a toll plaza who stopped and talking to me and directed me to this web site. I plan on doing a few of the general repairs that I have lived with for the last 10 years (windows, ABS... I already fixed the CD player!). She has 126k miles and I just purchased a 2007 Frontier to reduce the stress on my VX cause I was driving lots of miles for work. She has now been sitting alot, but I cannot stand to let her go. She will be sitting tight for a while; no worries. I hope ya'll have enjoyed my story because I have enjoyed sharing it. But mostly, I have enjoyed having my VX for the past 10 years. I feel like I have had more than just transportation.

SouthJ1
09/13/2010, 10:15 PM
Well Volk i can actually relate to your story a little im 16 now and just got my vehicross about 2 months ago and it is my first car. I love this thing lol i really dont know whether to call it a car or truck yet cause its really neither... I love my "Catfish"... But im glad to see you have made it 10 years man

vt_maverick
09/14/2010, 06:07 AM
Congrats Volksnick, you're a luck son-of-a-***** to have had a VX for your first car. I remember having an '85 Mercury Cougar (ugly as sin but fast as ****; hence why I flipped it at 16 1/2 and ended up with a POS 1984 two-barrel 2.8L V6 Camaro).

WRT your Coke stain, try shooting it with Lifter 1 or Blue Magic carpet stain remover. I've had good success getting rid of old Coke stains with both of those. One tip, disregard the instructions on the back that tell you to wait a few seconds then sop (country boy term) up the excess with a paper towel. Instead just hose the carpet down and let it dry up on its own. Neither product will stain the material, and in my experience, the longer you let it sit the more effective they are at removing stains.

samneil2000
09/14/2010, 11:06 AM
Cool story, and yeah, you were quite lucky. I had an 88 S-10 pickup with the whimpy 2.8 liter.

Mile High VX
09/14/2010, 07:33 PM
Nice write up for sure...my first car, as a senior in high school, was a 1969 Camaro with the 325 hp 350 cu in...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

It was 8 years old and I gave a grand for it...wish I had it now.

Kona-Vs
09/14/2010, 10:02 PM
My first car was a 71 BMW2002 with a downdraft Weber45 with the stacks sticking strait up out of the hood :bwgy: and almost every day after school was racing some one "The older I get the better I was" :dance:

Volksnick
01/04/2012, 08:46 AM
12 years today!!!

circmand
01/04/2012, 09:48 AM
First car was a 1968 AMC Javeline first car with a title 74 Ford Maverick

tom4bren
01/04/2012, 10:14 AM
Lucky bastards (except for circmand :))

My first car was a '65 Plymouth Fury III station wagon. That's what I learned to drive on. The first car I owned was a '74 Duster - 225 slant 6 with 3 speed on the floor.

JoFotoz
01/04/2012, 01:25 PM
My first Car.....

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/My_First_Car.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21839)

.... a 1963.

:_steering

Jo

LittleBeast
01/04/2012, 01:38 PM
My first car:
http://images04.olx.com/ui/9/14/71/1289525530_137131371_1-Pictures-of--1984-Porsche-944-white-200000-obo-1289525530.jpg

VXobsession
01/04/2012, 01:44 PM
My first car was a 1995 Mercury Topaz...basically a Tempo.....

I'm glad I didn't have a VX until later in life...I would've torn it up and wouldn't have had the driving experience I have now, hence never driving the VX to its fullest potential :)

tom4bren
01/04/2012, 02:46 PM
My first Car.....

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/My_First_Car.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21839)

.... a 1963.

:_steering

Jo

EEEWWW!!!:)

My first car:
http://images04.olx.com/ui/9/14/71/1289525530_137131371_1-Pictures-of--1984-Porsche-944-white-200000-obo-1289525530.jpg

Jerk:)

VXjunky
01/04/2012, 06:50 PM
well Jo...same family same year same color....morris minor traveller (woody)

JoFotoz
01/04/2012, 07:17 PM
NICE..!!

well Jo...same family same year same color....morris minor traveller (woody)

And I bet we both wish we still had them....
....a Woody Traveller in So Cal..perfect!

If I'd known how big Jumbo jets were gonna be..
....I'd of kept mine and toted it over here as carry on luggage :p

jo

RickOKC
01/04/2012, 07:53 PM
Hey Volksnick, I enjoyed reading your history! Congratulations on your milestone!

My first car? Sigh...

Once I got my license, I was allowed to drive my father's car just about any time I wanted. It was a pale, milky green 1976 AMC Hornet - 4 doors, pointy hubcaps. The official color was Seafoam, but my friends called it "this is why you don't feed the baby Taco Bell when it's your turn to change it's diaper" green. ;puke: LOL

My actual 1st car - chosen by me and paid with my own money because I wasn't a very bright kid :rolleyes: - was a 1975 Mustang II fastback. It was the stereotypical junkpile made to look purty by a sleazy used car lot. How funny - today's Ford 5 liter pumps out over 400 HP. That 1975 302 V8 (= 5 liters) wheezed out a measly 95-105 HP depending on the source! How I wish I had that car back -- so I could smash it into tiny pieces with a sledge hammer. :rotate:

circmand
01/05/2012, 07:21 AM
Lucky bastards (except for circmand :))

My first car was a '65 Plymouth Fury III station wagon. That's what I learned to drive on. The first car I owned was a '74 Duster - 225 slant 6 with 3 speed on the floor.

The Javelin was cool

Scott Harness
01/05/2012, 07:58 AM
71 Dodge Charger...mint condition,only had it about 3 months when I got hit by a drunk driver...totaled:mad:

Maddawg
10/08/2012, 05:35 PM
Mine was a 1941 Ford convert. Wish I still had it, dont we all?

JMNY
10/08/2012, 06:17 PM
1978 Pontiac Trans Am - smokey and the bandit - black on black with the 403 Olds engine 6.6 litre...

Was my favorite car.....

Triathlete
10/08/2012, 08:15 PM
First car was a '74 Mustang Mach1. First year of the "gas wars" cars so the Mach1 had the huge 3.8L V6! Mine had a cam, headers, ofenhauser high rise and a holley 650 double pumper on it. I trashed the tranny and broke all the tranny mounts...rebuilt with heavy duty innerds. It was actually a fun little car...when it ran right. After the mods always had to tinker with it to keep it humming.

pbkid
10/09/2012, 09:14 PM
Haha, what a funny thread, and look at all you old men showing your age :P

My first car, a 92 Acura Integra, and that was considered old when I was 16.
good reliable car, anything else would have broken down on me or killed me.

My third was my VX :)
The Black one in the middle was the Acura, the kaiser is obviously the VX, and the white one is what i have now, all three have been prides and joys.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3209/all_3.jpg

Maddawg
10/10/2012, 08:07 AM
I don't know about you pb, but I'm so old I'm going through my fifth childhood.:yeso::yeso::yeso::p Did you wash all those cars just for us??

tom4bren
10/10/2012, 08:19 AM
Haha, what a funny thread, and look at all you old men showing your age :P

ROFL ... I have no response to that ... but ...

'snot nosed' & 'wet behind the ears' are phrases that are coming to mind.

Just remember that Old & Sneaky beats Young & Energetic any day of the week.:)

pbkid
10/10/2012, 09:21 AM
I don't know about you pb, but I'm so old I'm going through my fifth childhood.:yeso::yeso::yeso::p Did you wash all those cars just for us??

I wish i still had all three, that was the day i sold my VX. I only had all three together for a short time.

Tom, dont get too worked up, i wouldnt want to get excited and break a hip our something.

tom4bren
10/10/2012, 10:47 AM
Tom, dont get too worked up, i wouldnt want to get excited and break a hip our something.

Too late!!!

Ldub
10/10/2012, 11:22 AM
ROFL ... I have no response to that ... but ...

'snot nosed' & 'wet behind the ears' are phrases that are coming to mind.

Just remember that Old & Sneaky beats Young & Energetic any day of the week.:)

Hey Bro...IIRC, you gonna be out Moab way in the spring?...:naughty:

So am I,...& PK...& JO...& Jim...& Craig...you get where I'm goin' wit dis...:smilewink

Should be no problem school'n the youngsters proper...:slap:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/05OGR.jpg

Unless they wanna play volleyball, or badminton, or frisbee...or prolly even croquet...:(

Who knew that "badminton" was spelled that way?...not me...:_confused

& BTW...this is the 10th anniv of the last time I played badminton...:rolleyesg

Also:..."my first car"

tom4bren
10/10/2012, 11:34 AM
Dub,

We are aimin' to attend. Prolly won't be able to spend the full week (on account of 3 days drivin to get there & 3 days drivin to get home) but hope to get in a full 3 days of wheelin' (& teachin certain children to respect their betters).

Prolly be TOAD'n the VX behind the RV & camp rather than staying at Red Rock.

Maddawg
10/10/2012, 11:50 AM
Prolly be TOAD'n the VX behind the RV & camp rather than staying at Red Rock.

Which brings up the question of "can the VX be flat towed or need to be trailered"?? :confused:

Triathlete
10/10/2012, 11:51 AM
All the cool kids camp Tom! :)

Maddawg
10/10/2012, 12:00 PM
All the cool kids camp Tom! :)

All us rich kids RV or motel it.:smilewink:bgwo::bgwb::bwgy:

tom4bren
10/10/2012, 12:29 PM
Which brings up the question of "can the VX be flat towed or need to be trailered"?? :confused:

Only I can ... I'm special.

I bought Travelin2's set up whenever he sold his VX. You can find his old threads where he went into detail of how he got'r done.

Basically, I have lockout hubs up front to disconnect the front wheels & a driveshaft quick disconnect for the rears. I'm freewheeling when towing except for the rear pumpkin.

Maddawg
10/10/2012, 01:41 PM
Only I can ... I'm special.

I bought Travelin2's set up whenever he sold his VX. You can find his old threads where he went into detail of how he got'r done.

Basically, I have lockout hubs up front to disconnect the front wheels & a driveshaft quick disconnect for the rears. I'm freewheeling when towing except for the rear pumpkin.

Oooh, mucho dineros! Maybe cheaper to rent a trailer and less trouble for me.

tom4bren
10/10/2012, 01:55 PM
Wasn't an option for me. U-Haul wouldn't let me put my VX on one of their trailers because of the offset (my tires touch the side walls).

Actually, the conversion shouldn't be too bad if you know someone who can fix driveshafts. The disconnect kit was for a Ford Exploder. The hubs can be sourced from a Trooper or bought new for not too much.

EDIT:

Here's the linky for how Travelin2 did it:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16488

& to answer Marlin's question in that thread: Yes, the disconnect can disengage whilst driving ... but only if you let Boy go wheeling in it & he buries it to the frame & the throw lever gets bent to sh1t & he doesn't tell you & you are 200 miles from home & tools when it happens. Luckly, I was able to just twist a cupla things outta the way and re-engage it by hand.

Volksnick
01/29/2013, 01:51 PM
another year! Just passed emissions too. I have the driver's door panel off due to a broken window regulator that I fixed earlier in the fall. I need to make a new vapor barrier and replace the speaker and it will go back together. I need to replace a fog light bulb, service the transmission and replace the ABS sensor on the passenger side and it should be good to go! New tires are in its future. Such a fun car!

PS, I just got to looking at the Moab thread via a link from the planet and its only 1600 miles, 1800 if I stop in Dallas where my brother lives. That'd be a good 2 day trip! (there)! Thinking.... :happyface

Volksnick
01/09/2014, 12:28 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7uTR_nA9Tl0/Uch3OaP31fI/AAAAAAAABos/OrpnxItq2Pw/w995-h746-no/IMG_4723.jpg

Another year has come and gone... I tagged along to Beasley Knob last year with the folks on the Planet. Had some difficulties...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FyXeRjqam0

Turns out the loose front right axle, where the clip came off, finally caught up with me.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/download/file.php?id=12272

But that wasn't the end of it. I am currently battling an annoying popping sound in the front end under load, when it engages the TOD or when I put it in 4wd. I have replaced both CVs. It has been sidelined as of late due to too much going on. Still need to figure it out though!!!

Hopefully I'll have it back on the road before long...I have to pass emissions before the end of the month!!!

14 years!!!

Volksnick
01/09/2015, 08:07 AM
15 years this week!

I replaced the CV axles and put in good drive flanges. The popping persisted. I yanked the front drive shaft and now have a 2 wheel drive VX. Not ideal, but its drivable again!

15 years!

Volksnick
01/13/2016, 12:35 PM
16 years! I've had it longer than I haven't!

It also received a sibling in a 1996 Rodeo right before Christmas

Volksnick
01/04/2017, 10:07 AM
17 years now!

arcobarco
01/05/2017, 08:20 PM
Congratulations! Did you get the popping figured out?

Volksnick
01/30/2017, 01:42 PM
Congratulations! Did you get the popping figured out?

No I haven't. I have been driving it without the front driveshaft, so it hasn't been popping. Eventually, I need to get into the front diff and see if it is the problem or if its in the transfer case.

Volksnick
01/04/2021, 08:53 PM
21 years today. It was supposed to go to an indoor car show this weekend to get displayed. Show got canceled due to Covid. Good thing that it was canceled because I tested positive Saturday.

Mile High VX
01/05/2021, 06:50 PM
Hope all goes well for you...I'll be praying for you man.