PDA

View Full Version : Do you still get the looks?

hyperkid
09/01/2010, 01:33 PM
So i was out and about alot yesterday and everywhere i went people were pointing and making a serious effort to turn heads to try and see what it was I was driving. Seems that regularly people come up to me when i'm pumping gas and ask "what is that". I don't live in a really large metropolis so it's kinda fun - I feel so righteous and celebrity when i drive my VX. :bwgy:

Do you still get the look?

circmand
09/01/2010, 01:36 PM
A couple times a week usually when gassing up the person at the next pump starts a conversation. Its weird that there are still a lot of people who have never seen one.

JAMAS
09/01/2010, 01:50 PM
My latest was at Lowes where I was told it looks like it is "slightly armored"

Y33TREKker
09/01/2010, 01:53 PM
As a matter of fact, I got a few rubberneckers even today while driving.

RickOKC
09/01/2010, 02:14 PM
Yep! I notice a rubbernecker or pointer every 3rd or 4th time I drive it. Every couple of weeks I get a nice comment from a stranger. The last one was, "That's an awesome truck!" Everybody at work was shocked because they thought I'd traded my beloved new-ish Mustang for something even newer!

Now that the gang at work knows what a VX looks like, I've learned there are more in town. Co-workers have told me there is an Astral or Kaiser to the north and another Ironman was spotted just this morning to the south. Too bad they aren't on the forum. :o

etlsport
09/01/2010, 03:26 PM
yea i get at least 1-2 comments a week. I was at a car show last Friday and barely got the chance to walk around, just kept getting pulled back to the VX by questions.

My g/f just moved to a new city, and their main street has very high foot traffic. every single time i drive through at least 1 person points

Mile High VX
09/01/2010, 06:28 PM
On of the reasons I love my VX.

I had a small car with two women flag me down at a light last week. I was with my beautiful bride and I thought they knew her. I rolled down the passenger window and the the drives said "he that's cool what is it?" at which point my wife just rolled her eyes...she hates the attention it gets...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

blacksambo
09/01/2010, 07:30 PM
I think the VX was the first agressively styled auto, however the rest of the world has now caught up and the VX is a museum piece... in a positive vein.

Grif
09/01/2010, 07:40 PM
I get comments and head turns all the time. But I really get a kick out of the ppl that wave, just to acknowledge the truck. They don't know me from Adam, but wave just from the novelty of seeing it. Happens about twice a week or so. Kids especially will wave. Only drawback is I'm rarely quick enough to wave back but it brings a smile to my face every time. :)

IRONVIKING
09/01/2010, 07:47 PM
I get it all the time too. Ive noticed that its a higher percentage of females that like the look.
I used to park on the street in Seattle and people walking their kids to school would suddenly become anchored because their little daughter wanted to look at it. People would always try to figure it out as the jogged by and do a dbl take but I took all the badges off so they cant tell. We would sit in my window after work and laugh at how many people were like "whoa" as they walked by.

RamAirZ
09/01/2010, 09:20 PM
Ya like Mile High said, it's one of the reasons I love my truck. I get looks all the time and at gas stations I always have SOMEBODY asking about it. What's funny is the guy that runs the station by my house answers almost as many questions as me on it :laughing: I've talked to him alot about it and every now and then I hear someone asking him about it when they are cashing out and he proceeds to tell them all about it (I go to the Domino's in the gas station alot to get take-out so I can over-hear them talking at the front counter)

JHarris1385
09/01/2010, 09:26 PM
This is the exact reason I want a second one. Either Kaiser or Proton (this one is growing on me). One street and one off road. Build my current more off road and then with the 2nd keep it clean and only road driven. Then I would have 4 sets of rims/tires.

RamAirZ
09/01/2010, 09:36 PM
lol I've thought about doing the same thing but I think if I get another Zu' it'd have to be a larger truck.

JHarris1385
09/01/2010, 09:39 PM
I figure I will supplement that with an 04 Axiom. I don't want to ever been without a VX.

RamAirZ
09/01/2010, 09:46 PM
Ya I've been looking at an Axiom, but I'd still have my VX, so I wouldn't be without one :) I don;t think I could justify a 2nd VX to the wife lol

Hiredgoon
09/01/2010, 10:08 PM
I was at a little show n shine the other day, wandering around looking at these pristine polished land-sharks, when a lady comes panting up to me and says she's been chasing me for five minutes, why didn't I stop and register my car-- my filthy dirty vx, with about 1200 highway miles since the last wash from a long road trip. When I got back to it, there were four guys looking at it, and were shocked that it was ten years old.

Gussie2000
09/02/2010, 06:54 AM
On of the reasons I love my VX.

at which point my wife just rolled her eyes...she hates the attention it gets...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Yes that's called feminine ego my friend.
My G/F also suffers with that LOL.

She always says : Never thought this toy of yours can get that much attentiom then me :p

Gussie2000
09/02/2010, 07:17 AM
Back on topic. Every single day i get some thumbs up,some jaws heading to the ground,kids walikng around and few chicks wondering (and probably wishing) to get a ride.

The most common words : Man ! Where did you get "that" ? looks like a space ship.

I joke around them saying : At the NASA's dealership,hurry before they all gone :bwgy:

tom4bren
09/02/2010, 08:05 AM
A while back, I was just leaving the grocery store when this mother and son were walking by the VX. Her son was probably about 10 but moderately Downes (SP?). He was so interested in it that she litterally couldn't peel him away. After about 10 minutes, the kid had been all over my Proton (inside & out) about 8 times, she was finally able to get him to go on into the store (I think she bribed him). She must have thanked me 20 times for making her son's day.

They actually did me a favor though. I used to teach Special Ed swim classes and the opportunity really brought back memories of how rewarding that was.

Scott Harness
09/02/2010, 10:49 AM
I get questioned at every stop(gas) even at my oil-change place(where they should know it by now) When I'm stopped at a red light,I'll look around and someone is nearly always taking a picture! Love it!!:bgwb:

Brian Drinks
09/02/2010, 11:39 AM
Hey just the other week i was getting gas an a guy driving a jeep wrangler waiting at the light started blowing his horn till he got my attenion saying how cool it is,ask me questions how much he likes them what year is it how can he get one and what is it then cars started blowing at him because the light changed it just makes you feel good to be popular lol....:happyface:)

tom4bren
09/02/2010, 12:06 PM
... then cars started blowing at him because the light changed it just makes you feel good to be popular lol....:happyface:)

'Cept in Philly. Multiple car horns are frequently followed by gunshots.:)

"The streets of Philadelphia are safe ... it's the people you have to watch out for" - I think it was the mayor who said that.

MSHardeman
09/02/2010, 01:20 PM
I think we're all a bit narcissistic in a way. I mean, really, who else drives around looking at passing motorists to see if they are checking you out? I know I do it all the time, and when I'm in another car, or in a rental, and I see that no one is gawking at my car I get a little sad. There's something just a little off about each and every one of us.:thumbup:

RickOKC
09/02/2010, 01:44 PM
There's something just a little off about each and every one of us.:thumbup:
JUST a "little"? You take that back! :)

mrlarrys
09/02/2010, 02:11 PM
The other day someone told me my proton looked like a banana on wheels - then today a guy told me it looked like a match box car on steroids - I guess that was a complement !!

Mile High VX
09/02/2010, 02:39 PM
The other day someone told me my proton looked like a banana on wheels - then today a guy told me it looked like a match box car on steroids - I guess that was a complement !!

Just as long as you don't have to testify to Congress about it you're good...:bgwo::bgwb::smilewink:bwgy:

Y33TREKker
09/02/2010, 03:08 PM
I think we're all a bit narcissistic in a way. I mean, really, who else drives around looking at passing motorists to see if they are checking you out? I know I do it all the time, and when I'm in another car, or in a rental, and I see that no one is gawking at my car I get a little sad. There's something just a little off about each and every one of us.:thumbup:
Well, I know that's not the reason I bought mine. It's simply difficult NOT to notice the gawking and head-turning because it seems to happen so much. I can only imagine how many additional times it happens that we DON'T notice while we're driving.

VXR
09/02/2010, 03:14 PM
I can only imagine how many additional times it happens that we DON'T notice while we're driving.

X2:yesb:

hyperkid
09/02/2010, 03:31 PM
Not even 24 hours since I started this thread and got approached at the light to be asked "hey what is that".

What's really awesome is to get the looks and smiles from the people driving expensive cars. Had a dude in a new Acura TL checking me out last week while at the light. Looks like he was thinking "gee i love my Acura but I really want one of those". I love it!

Thanks for sharing all your stories :bgwo:

PittVXr
09/02/2010, 04:44 PM
I was at a stop light today when I noticed a guy on the side walk staring at the VX. He proceeded to do a complete walk around of the truck while I was sitting there waiting for the light to change.

The best one though had to be the time a young couple were crossing the street in front of me. They were engaged in heavy conversation...well she was doing most of the talking. As they passed in front of me I watched his head swivel around to look over the Vehicross. The last words I heard out of her mouth were, "YOU'RE PAYING MORE ATTENTION TO THAT STUPID TRUCK THAN ME!"

hyperkid
09/02/2010, 05:04 PM
DUDE! That's priceless

RamAirZ
09/02/2010, 05:05 PM
I think the best for me was a guy walking away from my truck after leaving a note. I walk out and he comes up to me asking if it's mine. He then proceeds to want to sit in it with him and his wife, and guess what, they have an Ebony 01' now :)

BeeVenom
09/02/2010, 05:48 PM
It doesn't matter where we go or whether is was yesterday or a year ago, or two years ago, or five or seven years ago. You get the picture! People ALWAYS ask 'What is it?' and tell my wife and me how cool it is. I love it!
It just keeps going on. I figure 10 years from now, people will still be asking 'what is it?' and saying 'how cool'. They're right.......VX's are awesome!

FlyingV77
09/02/2010, 05:55 PM
i was stoped at a RR crossing last week around midnight, and a cop pulled up and spotlighted me. after a min he gestured for me to roll down my window. as i crossed my fingers hopeing that A) my window would work, B) i wasint going to get a ticket. The 2 cops start asking me what it was, if it was a straght 6 or a V6. on and on they went. Untill the train had pased and the rest of traffic started honking at me and the cops!

hyperkid
09/02/2010, 08:50 PM
That's so funny you said "hopeing your window would work" - Everyday I get into my truck and think is today the day my window is going to shift forward and not want to work. LOL

I had a similar experience months ago while getting stopped for my license plate lights. they are both rusted and don't work so until i fix it I just shoved the broken rusted mess up inside. Both cops said they have never seen one and walked around it looking. Luckily I got a warning slip and not an equipment repair order. They also mentioned my front license plate (which I keep in the glove box). Told them the bracket was on backorder from Japan. Ha! I guess it's time to fix those damn lights eh.

SAM52764
09/03/2010, 09:46 PM
I get questioned at every stop(gas) even at my oil-change place(where they should know it by now) When I'm stopped at a red light,I'll look around and someone is nearly always taking a picture! Love it!!:bgwb:

Yesterday I took my VX in for new tires and an oil change, when the guy that did the work came out he started questioning me about it, and where he could get one because he never saw one before. He was like wow that's a cool truck.

SAM52764
09/03/2010, 09:53 PM
I think we're all a bit narcissistic in a way. I mean, really, who else drives around looking at passing motorists to see if they are checking you out?

That's funny, I always look at people I pass to see if they're looking at my VX. Today I was passing a girl waiting at a traffic light, as I went by her head was turning and she had her mouth open ;eeko; Maybe she was checking me out?......NAH, I'm sure it was the truck.

Grif
09/03/2010, 10:22 PM
I think we're all a bit narcissistic in a way. I mean, really, who else drives around looking at passing motorists to see if they are checking you out?

I see your point, but how sombody as fugly as I could possibly be narcissistic escapes me.

Maybe some of you are prettyboys/gals and mirror addicts, but as for me, i just like the truck. Other people enjoy seeing it, and that brings joy. Nothing narcissistic about that IMHO.

Grif
09/04/2010, 07:20 PM
Wow... threadkill.... lol

Ebenezr
09/10/2010, 08:08 PM
Ha ha ha. I've had mine 3 weeks. The first day I got an oil change and the lady who takes info walked around the VX then came back to my window and said" what's this I've never seen one of these. Then 5 days later I guy walked up at the gas pumped and asked if he could take a picture. Then 2 days after that I was pulling out of Taco Bell and some young guy with one of those redneck pickups that are jacked so high you can see under them pulled with a smile, dropped jaw and slowed down to give me a thumbs up. It is fun owning this just for this.

Grif
09/10/2010, 08:14 PM
It is fun owning this just for this.

Yes, yes it is.

lasturbo
09/11/2010, 02:10 PM
I had a couple ask me if that was a "new" car that just came out for 2011. They must not be car people or really "behind with the times"...... Oh well, I will take the compliment either way.

vt_maverick
09/11/2010, 08:27 PM
I had a couple ask me if that was a "new" car that just came out for 2011. They must not be car people or really "behind with the times"...... Oh well, I will take the compliment either way.

Same experience at a gas station yesterday, guy walks up and asks me if it's new or a year or two old, I proceed to tell him it's a 2000. He nods, then pauses, drops his jaw, and looks back at me and says "You're kidding right?"

I'll divide the props between the designers (Isuzu) and the detailer (me). ;)

Cobrajet
09/12/2010, 10:55 AM
I hit the jackpot today...got stopped twice in five minutes.

As I was leaving Sears I overheard a guy trying to identify this "...uh...Isuzu...uh..." thing to his wife. "V-e-h-i-C-R-O-S-S", I spelled out. They liked it, and were looking for something like that for the coming winter weather. However, when the young lady (who appeared to be about six month pregnant - hope she was and I'm not being rude) asked "Is it roomy?", I had to explain that it wasn't very "family friendly." Oh, well, it just isnt!

Then I drove across the street to the Giant supermarket, and as I was stepping out, an older gentleman (yeah, probably my age!!) stops in his tracks, and yells, "Wow, cool truck!!". In both cases their jaws dropped when I said I had owned it nine years!

I don't think the styling was fully appreciated in the 97-01 era, but now it has come of age! "Where can I get one?" - indeed!!

Gussie2000
09/12/2010, 12:42 PM
I believe that back in the 90's people was used to the regular line of vehicules that the car manufacturing industry had to offer back those years.

So when isuzu decided to "break" the rules of engagement the consumer wasn't that prepare to what isuzu put over the table

Many people found the VehiCROSS just too outter the flow of what was out there and refuse to accept that an new era of car engeneering had born.

Now it's ironic how the VX gets that much attention when the car industry have change in the last 15 years.

Yesterday i went to the bronx visiting some friends of mine,while driving on the I-95 i notice two cars along with me,one on my left the other on my right,driving at my same speed for an good bunch of miles.My G/F looked at me and shaking her head said Yep,here we go...again...one more time of this endless history

Spike
09/13/2010, 01:25 AM
looks comments and questions died down for a while, like a couple years ... but started up with a vengeance this past year ... it has been a few times a week

WormGod
09/14/2010, 06:45 AM
Got MAD looks yesterday. Took the VX to emissions. After a 15 minute wait in line, I finally pull into a bay and my tech gets right to work. The techs from, what I could tell, 3 other bays, decided to put their bays on hold and come over and walk circles around my VX. No conversation or questions to be had cause I don't think any of them knew English, heh. I am sure the folks getting tested in those other bays loved me. :o

tom4bren
09/14/2010, 06:53 AM
I can relate.

The last time I got it inspected, there were 6 techs "involved". Everyone else had to wait.

VXR
09/14/2010, 05:17 PM
Got MAD looks yesterday. Took the VX to emissions. After a 15 minute wait in line, I finally pull into a bay and my tech gets right to work. The techs from, what I could tell, 3 other bays, decided to put their bays on hold and come over and walk circles around my VX. No conversation or questions to be had cause I don't think any of them knew English, heh. I am sure the folks getting tested in those other bays loved me. :o

The last time I got it inspected, there were 6 techs "involved". Everyone else had to wait.

This happened to me too last time I went in but in my case it was slow and there were no other cars waiting so all the techs from all the other bays came over. One guy even asked the tech working on my car if it was in their computer system. LOL:yesb:

hyperkid
10/25/2010, 08:28 PM
Happened today again in the grocery store parking lot. Several people were asking "what is that". I demonstrated an awesome show when i drove over the concrete parking stopper, down the rocky/grassy median, and then floored it down the main road ultra fast. I heard everyone shouting from the parking lot. W00t I love my VX

Cobrajet
10/30/2010, 06:55 PM
I got an uplifting greeting at the county dump today -- "Wow, what is this? A Ve--cri--cos.. Was this just released?" :) Yeah, it's new...10 years AGO!