PDA

View Full Version : holding my breath..........

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/31/2010, 02:34 PM
Been in the local news that ISUZU owners of primarily Rodeos (media is throwing Trooper name out too..but suit only mentions Rodeo owners) in the rust-belt areas of the country are not happy campers & have filed suit with the National Highway Traffic Safety against ISUZU:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/download/2010/0505/23462812.pdf

vt_maverick
08/31/2010, 05:07 PM
So let's see, they're trying to get NHTSA to punish a company that no longer sells passenger vehicles in this country because a model they stopped manufacturing 9 years ago has above average rust issues? Somehow I don't think NHTSA will give them the time of day. You tell me what's more important, sorting out Toyota's mess with millions of vehicles in current circulation, or responding to a lawsuit by a small group of owners who probably should have traded their vehicles in long ago (NHTSA's viewpoint at least).

I say write off the $4000 (or less) that your 2001 Rodeo is actually worth on your taxes and call it a day.

hyperkid
08/31/2010, 07:02 PM
Ditto to that

deermagnet
08/31/2010, 07:18 PM
This story broke back in May-
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?p=311569 (http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?p=311569)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eRhgXIiuVY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eRhgXIiuVY)

It absolutely should not be brushed off as tough luck. It is not anywhere near normal for that kind of frame rust and it's a big safety hazard for people to be driving along at 65 mph and have their frame break in half on a ten year old vehicle. Isuzu clearly screwed up with those frames. It's not body rust, it's just the frames. All those owners should have been notified by now of the potential problem and Isuzu should be buying back the vehicles with the worst rust. Even if just for $2000, just to get them off the road.

All the affected vehicles came outta the Subaru plant in Indiana. I think we're safe with ours comin' outta Japan. Some of us woulda seen the bad frame rust by now and we've heard of no such problems with the VX.

Mark

vt_maverick
08/31/2010, 07:23 PM
Did you mean it broke in May?

vt_maverick
08/31/2010, 07:24 PM
I agree it's a dangerous situation, I'm just skeptical as to whether NHTSA will take significant action.

deermagnet
08/31/2010, 07:27 PM
Did you mean it broke in May?

Yeah, I edited it just seconds before your post.

Mark

Riff Raff
09/01/2010, 12:42 AM
Well; in hindsight, I guess all of those owner's of the now rusted-out Rodeo's should have turned-in their rigs during the "cash for clunker's" program.:rollo:

WormGod
09/01/2010, 07:01 AM
Hindsight aside, it's not like people crawl up under their vehicles weekly to "look for rust". Blaming the owners for "not knowing" or "failure to expect this" is self masturbation. ISUZU "IS" responsible and considering GM held their US leash last, GM will be held liable most likely.

The plea to NHSTA is to get a gov't firm to open an avenue for settlement. I know I have had my eye on this development since around June, considering my VX is garage kept too and the underside looks like it has been under a pier for a few years.

The moral of the story is, YOU ALL ALSO HAVE AN ISUZU, so call the owners whiny idiots if you like.... but you too could be suffering from it and not know it till you are doing 65 on a highway.

Just sayin....

vt_maverick
09/01/2010, 08:52 AM
Wow did I draw the ire of the board!

WG - How does this affect us? The suit indicates the problem was with everything coming out of a US Subie plant, why would we assume that this would extend to a vehicle produced in Japan before GM got involved? Btw, garage kept doesn't necessarily mean rust-free. If you ever drive your VX in winter (i.e. salt) conditions and don't flush and wash the undercarriage immediately after coming home, rust is equally capable of developing in your garage. Not trying to imply that you've been careless, just suggesting that folks in the petition who believe that because their vehicles were kept in a garage they're entitled to a rust-free undercarriage are sadly mistaken. Keep in mind this story didn't break in Virginia or MD but in Boston, which obviously has much more wintery conditions.

Btw, if someone was surprised to have had this happen at 65 on a freeway, they (or their mechanic) were CLEARLY not under the vehicle often enough. That kind of thing doesn't just happen overnight.

deermagnet
09/01/2010, 01:15 PM
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx3/ea09018.gif

Translation of the highlighted statement by Isuzu-
OK, so the frames are rusting. The owners should be aware of the rusting of their vehicles and know that something is about to break under there. So it shouldn't be a safety issue and we're not responsible. Let 'em get it fixed at their own expense and the problem is solved.

I guess there's an engineering analysis in the works. I can imagine the BS that'll come outta that study. http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/mags/mags2/deal.gif

Mark

circmand
09/01/2010, 01:40 PM
Why no mechanics caught it. when tires or brakes were put on?

Triathlete
09/01/2010, 02:32 PM
Why no mechanics caught it. when tires or brakes were put on?

What? You mean there is more to driving/owning a vehicle than just filling the tank and turning the key? Hmmm, who woulda thunk:_wtf::_confused:_thinking

WormGod
09/02/2010, 07:30 AM
vt_mav, don't know what you read into my post.... but think you misread what my meaning was. I was implying that ALL vehicles, no matter the care and storage, get corrosion. I live in the lower rust belt and expect it. I would just like to know, by the manufacturer, if issues like the one described could affect us and if we should keep an eye out for it. No more, no less.

Also, just stating, your average vehicle owner doesn't do ANYTHING to their vehicle on their own. Bet they wait till their oil change to have the local Jiffy Lube check their tire pressure too. They probably have no idea how even that is done. On the other hand, we actually are on a vehicle website and take pride in our vehicles. We know them, we share info (thus, this article). We.... not them. Sadly, the owners I described previously DO need Big Brother to babysit them. Sad, but true.

No, nothing will come of this, and owners should not be surprised. BUT, it is the NHSTA's job to let owners know this is an issue. Through the DMV, they know who drives these vehicles and they SHOULD be notified of any dangers. They did it for brakes on Toyota. They did it for seatbelts in Buick. They did it for tires on Ford Explorers. It's their job.

When I say GM, it is a very general point made through assumption. The distribution outlet for ISUZU was GM last, when IOA ducked out. I am probably being a bit broad in my assumption that they will be responsible for information distribution, but I know in my industry, the publisher always takes the hit first. We shall see.

Interesting that the care report states that ISUZU gave prior warning to owners. I am on my 4th ISUZU.... never heard a peep, 2 of which were an Amigo and a Rodeo (both produced stateside).

Also note, dated Dec 7, 2009....... closure, still pending. Engineering analysis.... yep, never expect to hear a peep about that either.

Of course nothing will happen and nobody will here a thing. It's the big auto world and they love to just sweep "problems" under the carpet. In the case of ISUZU, it's such a niche, ghost vehicle that it's probably already been swept aside".

Again, just sayin'....

circmand
09/02/2010, 07:48 AM
As an original owner my warranty lasts til 2012 or 30,000 more miles. I wonder if it is covered