PDA

View Full Version : Cladding: Trimming and BFH question

c09<[865P
08/27/2010, 01:32 PM
Hi all, new member here from Ohio.
Ive searched through the forums and could not find what i was looking for, so i'm hoping someone can help.
I just installed VR3 Recon wheels (18x9 with +18 offset) onto my Yokohama Geolanders A/T's (285/60/18). Everything looks great, but unfortunately i need to trim in front of the wheel as well as behind. Trimming in front was no problem, however, behind the tire, there is rubbing on the bolt.

My questions is: would you recommend removing the bolt or keep the bolt in, before using the BHF to pound back the metal...any noticeable effects from having the metal bent back?

VX1032
08/27/2010, 01:52 PM
used a BFH to bend it back, no issues. Pics in my gallery I believe.

RickOKC
08/27/2010, 02:49 PM
I used a MFH to lightly tap the bolts back. I was expecting it to be a big deal, but it only took a few seconds on each side. I don't see any issues with mine - nothing buckled or looks out of place. (275/65/18)

Triathlete
08/27/2010, 03:33 PM
SAWZALL!:evil:

:rotate::laughing::dan_ban:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Riff Raff
08/27/2010, 05:25 PM
Approach your mission in logical steps-- first simply "remove" the famous bolt (located at extreme bottom of front fenderwell behind driver side front-left tire without using a BFH), and see if that solves the problem. If by removing the bolt gives the needed additional clearance, then you can use a few small sheet metal screws to keep the inner fender-skin in place (if required at all). Generally speaking, the use of a BFH should be a last resort when all other methods have failed.:bgwb:

Triathlete
08/27/2010, 06:18 PM
Approach your mission in logical steps-- first simply "remove" the famous bolt (located at extreme bottom of front fenderwell behind driver side front-left tire without using a BFH), and see if that solves the problem. If by removing the bolt gives the needed additional clearance, then you can use a few small sheet metal screws to keep the inner fender-skin in place (if required at all). Generally speaking, the use of a BFH should be a last resort when all other methods have failed.:bgwb:

So where on the list does my suggestion fall?:laughing::laughing::laughing:

rowhard
08/28/2010, 06:45 AM
I think pretty close to dead last Billy. I have the same offset and tire size and you will need more then just a bolt removal. Use a large punch/drift place on the bolt head, a 16 oz ball peen and adjust till it's right. :yesy:

Marlin
08/28/2010, 06:49 AM
SAWZALL!:evil:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see how that is funny, I took a grinder to the whole thing after hammering wasn't enough. The more I look at it, the more useless that whole assembly is. Cut away!!!!!! Just make sure you primer it after you are done to prevent future rust problems.

JHarris1385
08/28/2010, 07:08 AM
You should be ok with just the bolt removed. I have slightly larger than you and did not need to do anything else. Are you not lifted?

c09<[865P
08/29/2010, 04:56 PM
thanks everyone for the input.

my VX is stock height.
I removed the bolt and still had rubbing issues, so I ended up pounding back the fender and leaving about 1/4" of clearance.

rowhard
08/29/2010, 06:06 PM
I am surprised that you are at stock height. I had to crank my torsions bars running the same offset and tire size