PDA

View Full Version : Picked it up! '99 Ebony, 0562, back in the fold

dbp
08/27/2010, 09:59 AM
I've wanted one of these things for about 8 years... I remember the first time I really saw one was on the show "Blind Date." There was this douchebag guy on the show who had a Proton one and I was torn, thinking it looked pretty sweet but being convinced it had to be a poser SUV, capable of nothing offroad, because this guy was such a tool. I did some research and found that it was actually VERY capable.

I like weird cars... my daily driver is a BMW M Coupe:

http://www.davidparis.org/coupe/dab031204-1s.jpg

I always thought the VehiCROSS would be a perfect off-road compliment for it. I do a lot of hiking and backpacking, yet with the M Coupe, and my other car ('70 Chevelle) I've always been very limited on where I can go. About four years ago I turned up the search pretty intensely for a VehiCROSS, and was actually the high bidder on one on ebay in Georgia. I was ready to book my flight when the guy told me even though I was the high bidder, he found someone willing to pay more for it so he sold it to this other guy! Lame... I got distracted with something at the time... maybe I bought another motorcycle ('06 Yamaha R1) around that time. So anyway... about a month ago I really wanted to do this particular hike on Mt. Hood, and we drove my wife's BMW 330Ci up this 9 mile gravel and dirt road, with these drain channels all over it... the car was bottoming out all over the place and it really sucked. I had my mind made up, it was VehiCROSS time!

I used this forum, ebay, and the site mash tool to search craigslists. The site mash thing seemed to lag the actual listings, so I also was manually searching craigslists around me (denver, seattle, portland, sfbay, boise, losangeles, etc). It paid off, as on the boise one I was the first to notice a '99 Ebony with 94k miles. Some of the pictures included:

http://www.davidparis.org/vehicross/pic1.jpg

http://www.davidparis.org/vehicross/pic2.jpg

The front emblem made me think perhaps it was previously owned by an enthusiast. Once I called the owner and got the VIN, I searched for it here and learned this is vxDAKINECHICvx's (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/member.php?u=2349) VehiCROSS! It was cool, because doing searching on the site I was able to unravel some of the mysteries about it. Like... why does this '99 have stock 18" wheels (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11308)? Why does it have this fake carbon hood scoop (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=109137#post109137)? It was pretty cool unraveling the story! After some deliberation, and receiving a bunch more pictures (lots of the undercarriage (virtually ZERO rust)), I bought a plane ticket to Boise and Sunday morning at 4:30am I walked to the MAX (train) with $6,500 cash in my pocket. The truck was as clean as expected when I arrived. No ABS light on. The windows work! It has a sunroof. The only issue that wasn't noticed in the photos was how dull the paint is. It looks like it's never been waxed and whoever washed it didn't know how to do so properly, with tons of scratches all over the place. It looks to just be in the clear coat, so I'll try and get it professionally buffed soon.

The tires on it are 32.3" (stock ride height, front cladding trimmed), but these really nasty Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 II HIGHWAY tires! They are rated "46 out of 59 tires (Score of 5.6 vs best tire in category score of 9)" on tirerack, with over 7 million miles logged. I like the size, but the thing looks like a damn school bus or monster minivan with these tires on there, and they are mushy like a marshmallow around turns. My impressions on the 440 mile drive back were all very favorable... It really does drive like a car on the road, and a really nice car at that. It really eats up the miles, almost like a GT car. I recently drove my friend's Honda Element to Seattle and back (~350 miles) and it was incredibly uncomfortable on the long trip. One surprise was considering it was straight highway travel, I was expecting to get better millage than the 15.5mpg I did (average speed 70mph), but there were a couple 4000 foot passes from Boise.

Another thing is the brakes definitely do suck... yeah, my '70 Chevelle is a 12 second car with drums, but I don't drive that thing anymore. I'm used to the M Coupe, 330Ci, and motorcycles that stop like crazy. Part of the problem is the mushy feel, so stainless steel lines are ordered and should be here soon.

New wheels and tires are ordered... should arrive today. Expect a post on the modification forum once I have photos (also did a 913 lift yesterday).

Anyway, just wanted to introduce my new VehiCROSS! I'm excited for sure, and look forward to some serious off road adventures in it. I'll post my own photos once I get everything prettied up!

David

crotchrocket
08/27/2010, 10:08 AM
Nice vx!!! Glad you like it. I have always had a soft spot for the BMW M Coupe!

tom4bren
08/27/2010, 10:23 AM
Grats on the purchase ... now the fun begins.

RamAirZ
08/27/2010, 10:57 AM
Congrats! I like the M coupe too, reminds me of the old Shelby Coupe race car.

http://www.gear6performance.com/storage/Shelby%20Coupe_09.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1 251284424570

RickOKC
08/27/2010, 10:57 AM
Congratulations! Great write-up, too!

VX KAT
08/27/2010, 05:03 PM
Welcome to the group! Your plans sound great for your VX!
I'm totally with you on those sucky Duelers!! Tell us what you ordered???:drool2:

I see your amber corner markers and turn signals have been tinted/smoked, either sprayed or lenses replaced. Nice :thumbup:

Must ask a few questions....

We've been having LOTS of discussions recently about cladding...yours looks great, nice and satiny, very uniform, and pretty dark......can you tell if it's just a topical treatment (i.e. Back2Black etc..) or if it's had some type of permanent coating applied (like Restore/Refinish or TS-1). Is it collecting dust? Is it "oily" at all?

Also, the bumperette on the back...I'm in the market for one so I've been looking at several. Yours looks like it might be the Go Rhino one, but it seems narrower (side to side) than any model I've seen. Any info on it?

Thanks, and welcome again. :thumbup:

Etfren
08/28/2010, 01:01 AM
Congrats on the purchase. I'm also in Portland (well, Camas/Vancouver actually) and have been using a mass Craigslist search program to find one as well since they are hard to come by around here. This gives me some new hope.

dbp
08/28/2010, 09:29 AM
VX KAT, from the previous thread where I asked 33" vs 34" tires and people were talking about your rack, I decided to order the Kevlar MTR's from Goodyear. They are here now... just need to wait for my friend to wake up so I can borrow his truck to pick them up!

As for the cladding, I was also much impressed when I saw how dark it was, but there's definitely something topical on there... I suspected it and then when I washed it I noticed how water was beading up on it. I wiped it down and my rag became black and oily. Since I washed it there appear to be "drip" marks on whatever was there now. So I'm much anticipating you finding this magic penetrating solution. Do let me know. :-)

By bumperette, do you mean the step thingy that's plugged into the hitch receiver? The thing says "Bully" on it... doing a web search, it looks like this: Bully CR-600 Receiver Hitch Mounted Utility Step (http://www.amazon.com/Bully-CR-600-Receiver-Mounted-Utility/dp/B0000AY4MK)

Etfren, yeah there isn't much around here... kind of weird, as you'd think it's the perfect kind of vehicle for this area! Keep up the search, and I look forward to meets when you get yours!

David

VX KAT
08/28/2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks David! Forgot "dbp" asked about the 33"/34"tire..:mbrasd:
And yes, the Bully thing is what I was asking about....dang it's only $43 vs. $120+ at least for all the others I've seen.

vxDAKINECHICvx
09/19/2010, 09:17 PM
OMG my VX!!! Congrats on the purchase! I took SUCH good care of that car....Ugh, I miss it!!! But, I am so happy for you....Drive it with love. I'm SO glad he's been so well taken care of! YaY!

Sorry it's all scratched up though and the paint is sucky. =( It wasn't like that at all before I sold it. I always waxed it after washing. As far as the tires, they must have been switched because the tires that I had on there were different. Too bad. They were SICK, but a little rough driving on the highway.

vxDAKINECHICvx
09/19/2010, 09:25 PM
I see your amber corner markers and turn signals have been tinted/smoked, either sprayed or lenses replaced. Nice :thumbup:

Must ask a few questions....

We've been having LOTS of discussions recently about cladding...yours looks great, nice and satiny, very uniform, and pretty dark......can you tell if it's just a topical treatment (i.e. Back2Black etc..) or if it's had some type of permanent coating applied (like Restore/Refinish or TS-1). Is it collecting dust? Is it "oily" at all?

Yep, I spray tinted those amber lenses. Good to see they are holding up. I used Meguiars on the cladding EVERY time I washed the VX which was like once a week. HA! I'm not sure they make the exact stuff I used anymore, but it ALWAYS made the cladding look super dark since I wished the cladding was black. Oh well..the VX is still LooKin SICK!! I'm so glad it went to someone who will continue to take care of it.

Diogenes
09/19/2010, 09:38 PM
Gratz!! Nice to see you have the original owner here to verify service. I bought mine with 50K miles from a guy in VA, but it originally had been in AZ. Not sure which, but one of the previous owners apparently went bouldering and high-center my VX on a rock and dented the tranny pan. When I had it replaced right after I bought it, the plastic "cone" that is connected to the tranny oil sump was broken. I still wonder how many miles into their ownership that event occurred and wonder if it did damage to the tranny.

Make sure you keep a good eye on the oil levels. For some reason my 1999 burns oil, but passes emissions... ;0)

No blue smoke, but I understand the '99's had a problem with oil burning..

Gotta make sure I keep a jug of oil in the back and check it every 500-1000 miles to top it off...

Dio

VX KAT
09/20/2010, 10:01 AM
Make sure you keep a good eye on the oil levels. For some reason my 1999 burns oil, but passes emissions... ;0)

No blue smoke, but I understand the '99's had a problem with oil burning..

Gotta make sure I keep a jug of oil in the back and check it every 500-1000 miles to top it off...

Dio
Sorry, small t/j...
Wasn't sure if you seen this poll, but it's good info.
and I think most consider it as oil "consumed" rather than burned....that's why no smoke. It's not a scientific poll by any means, but leads you to believe it's not just the 99s.
http://vehicross.info/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=170
Here's an Isuzu document on the issue:
http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=160275&postcount=104
http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=91818&postcount=58
A member "iamironman" researched the issue in great detail and posted this:
http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=166184&postcount=9

t/j over...

SouthJ1
09/21/2010, 08:17 AM
How do you search who precuisky owbe your vx?

vt_maverick
09/21/2010, 09:22 AM
Go to the top of the page, click Quick Links -> Members List. On that page click Search Members -> Advanced Search. In the box labeled VIN, type in the last 4 of your VIN (3 if the first character is 0 since some folks don't always include it when registering). Voila, previous owners identified!

SouthJ1
09/21/2010, 09:30 AM
I did a search no one on here owned mine :/

vt_maverick
09/21/2010, 09:35 AM
Don't feel bad, me neither.

Marlin
09/21/2010, 10:05 AM
Iam interested on your update on the Kevlars. I am on my 2nd set, my originals were made in Oct of last year, and were junk, FAST wear, and the sidewall peeled off. My new ones were manufactured in apri 2010, much better so far. I too have the 34s, they look awesome, handle great.
As for the brake problem, the SS lines didn't seem to make a huge difference, but the EBC green stuff worked like a charm. Stops just as well as my F250 now.

vxDAKINECHICvx
09/21/2010, 03:53 PM
Oh I just remembered, the tires that were on there when I sold it were the nitto terra grapplers.

circmand
09/21/2010, 04:11 PM
Go to the top of the page, click Quick Links -> Members List. On that page click Search Members -> Advanced Search. In the box labeled VIN, type in the last 4 of your VIN (3 if the first character is 0 since some folks don't always include it when registering). Voila, previous owners identified!

the original owner where and how do you post the info for future owners to search here for it?

vt_maverick
09/21/2010, 04:27 PM
(and if you are) the original owner where and how do you post the info for future owners to search here for it?

You need to add the last four of your VIN to your profile (it goes after your year and color) and then your posts/pictures will be "discoverable" to future owners (should they exist).

hyperkid
09/21/2010, 06:11 PM
Hey SouthJ1 your PM box is full

SouthJ1
09/22/2010, 08:42 AM
I emptied it sorry