PDA

View Full Version : Darn ABS light

ScottinMA
08/22/2010, 02:17 PM
Well lit up this weekend. Now a member of all the other VXs that are driving with that issue.

rowhard
08/22/2010, 05:32 PM
yep, me too. thought the locking them up when ever the road were slippy would prevent it,... it didn't

RamAirZ
08/22/2010, 09:57 PM
Pull the bulb, voila, no more abs light :p

Riff Raff
08/22/2010, 10:07 PM
Pull the bulb, voila, no more abs light :p

Nah, here's an even easier solution-- just put a small piece of black electrician's tape over the ABS indicator light. Simple.:yeso:

RamAirZ
08/22/2010, 10:18 PM
very true, I'd still pull the bulb, it's not that hard lol.

Riff Raff
08/22/2010, 10:50 PM
very true, I'd still pull the bulb, it's not that hard lol.

Nope; I'd still use the black electrician's tape and just tape-over the ABS indicator light, and here's why:

If the ABS indicator light is a temporary or intermittent problem, then you can quickly check periodically by simply lifting up the tape to see if the light's still illuminated. Over a period of time; if the ABS light magically fixes itself someday or goes back out on its own, then you'd quickly know.

By permanently removing the bulb would prevent you from periodically checking to see if the problem has gone away. My vote is to use the black electrician's tape, and pray that the ABS light is only a temporary malfunction.

Scott-- Perhaps disconnect the VX battery overnight, and then re-connect the battery in the morning may "re-set" things back to normal. Just a thought and it's worth a try.

:bgwb:

Ldub
08/22/2010, 10:58 PM
My vote is to use the black electrician's tape, and pray that the ABS light is only a temporary malfunction.
:bgwb:

Oh absolutely...:yesgray:

My invisible mechanic in the sky routinely fixes stuff on my truck, I'm even trying (praying) to work out a deal where he installs my gears & locker & I'll do something nice for an older person in need...:angel:

RamAirZ
08/22/2010, 10:58 PM
I wouldn't remove it the first time it came on, but if it doesn't go out in a week or two it's very unlikely it's gonna disappear (if you've already tried disconnecting the battery to reset the computer etc). And honestly, if it goes out, so what? That's a good thing isn't it? So if the bulb was out of the cluster and it fixes itself, well good, now you have ABS, but if it malfunctions again, no light. You should always drive prepared anyways IMO. If you change your driving habits when the light goes off because you think you don't have ABS anymore, I'd think your driving safer to begin with.

VX KAT
08/22/2010, 11:20 PM
Oh absolutely...:yesgray:

My invisible mechanic in the sky routinely fixes stuff on my truck, I'm even trying (praying) to work out a deal where he installs my gears & locker & I'll do something nice for an older person in need...:angel:

Oh I get it now, that explains it!! ......that must be the same invisible mechanic that goobered my cladding....guess they don't always do good deeds, eh?

RAM- Your explanation /logic makes sense to me :thumbup:
I'm just sittin' 'n a waiting' 'till my ABS light finally comes on and I can join the majority here! :rollo:

Ldub
08/22/2010, 11:22 PM
Oh I get it now, that explains it!! ......that must be the same invisible mechanic that goobered my cladding....guess they don't always do good deeds, eh?

Nope...what you are describing iz Gremlins.

VX KAT
08/22/2010, 11:26 PM
Nope...what you are describing iz Gremlins.

Ohhh, I've heard of them..... so now I can still hope the invisible mechanic comes and fixes my goobered cladding! Actually between the pressure sprayer and Luna-X, I may just not need this invisible mechanic you speak of....er, um, :_thinking.... maybe Luna is the invisible mechanic??

RamAirZ
08/22/2010, 11:26 PM
Ya I'm waiting for mine to come on one day. Hoping it's a long time off though. I need to set of a smoke bomb to keep those gremlins away, they are nasty little buggers! I don't have an invisibly mechanic :( I get stuck getting all greasy and dirty on my own, but I end up being the "invisible" mechanic for everyone else

JAMAS
08/23/2010, 07:39 AM
My ABS light is on. I have 2 backups from parted out VX's, now I just have to replace it. My plan is to take my broken out and sent it off to have it rebuilt ($100) and just keep cycling them in if they keep breaking.

Something in my DNA code wont allow me to be ok with something just being broken.....I have to fix it. But I am not in a HUGE hurry....it has been on for almost a year.

ScottinMA
08/23/2010, 07:39 AM
I'll take the advise to pull the battery cable and see what happens. But has anyone here had success resolving an ABS light by that method? If the module is acting up I would think that resetting the computer would only be a temporary fix.

don moore
08/23/2010, 08:16 AM
i dont use tape on the plastic ..i use one of those cling on window stickers they give you at a oil change place.. then cut it down to cover the light ..it still glows alittle bit through the sticker and it doesnt mess up the plastic.

RamAirZ
08/23/2010, 09:13 AM
My ABS light is on. I have 2 backups from parted out VX's, now I just have to replace it. My plan is to take my broken out and sent it off to have it rebuilt ($100) and just keep cycling them in if they keep breaking.

Something in my DNA code wont allow me to be ok with something just being broken.....I have to fix it. But I am not in a HUGE hurry....it has been on for almost a year.

I'm the same way except I'm looking forward to getting rid of my abs so it wouldn't bother me.

nfpgasmask
08/23/2010, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't remove it the first time it came on, but if it doesn't go out in a week or two it's very unlikely it's gonna disappear

Yeah, mine started intermittently, and that after a few months of on and off, it now stays on, and have been on for like 3 years now. Is the light that annoying? I don't even notice it anymore...

Bart

RickOKC
08/23/2010, 10:48 AM
i dont use tape on the plastic ..i use one of those cling on window stickers they give you at a oil change place.. then cut it down to cover the light ..it still glows alittle bit through the sticker and it doesnt mess up the plastic.

"cling on window stickers (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=klingon+window+sticker&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=)"

Somebody had to.

Mile High VX
08/23/2010, 06:51 PM
"cling on window stickers (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=klingon+window+sticker&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=)"

Somebody had to.

:thumbup::thumbup:

RickOKC
08/24/2010, 09:36 PM
I think we should have club t-shirts.

"This quality, all-cotton T is available in 'instrument panel black' and sports the official ABS Club logo in glowing orange..."

http://members.cox.net/radamsokc/ABS.jpg

RamAirZ
08/24/2010, 09:44 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

VX KAT
08/24/2010, 10:17 PM
I think we should have club t-shirts.

"This quality, all-cotton T is available in 'instrument panel black' and sports the official ABS Club logo in glowing orange..."

http://members.cox.net/radamsokc/ABS.jpg

That's too funny Rick!!

WormGod
08/25/2010, 07:15 AM
Mine has fluttered on and off for a couple years now and now that I have my new brake kit on, it just STAYS on. I guess it decided that since the brakes are in perfect condition now, ABS no longer has to pretend that it even did work and just gave up the ghost, heh. Not a fan of ABS anyways. When you know how to pilot a car, you don't need the car to correct you. Hands off computer! I'm behind the wheel!

Hell, I grew up driving cars that never even heard of ABS. Rule of thumb was "pump the brakes". Ya know, that's all ABS is doing anyways.... it just takes YOU out of the equation, heh.

I don't miss 'em.

But yep, that light can go to hell. It's bad enough I have stared at my TPS light in my STi since the month after I bought it. I HATE tire pressure sensors too and am running without. If I have a low tire, I can see it and check regularly anyways. If I get a blowout on a highway, little that sensor would do for me then. So.... I need a computer (and TSA regulation!) to tell me MORE crap that I can do myself? *sigh*

:bwgy:

RamAirZ
08/25/2010, 08:03 AM
ya some of the crap we have on cars today is annoying and is making this world lazier by the day, a car that parks itself? REALLY!! It's bad enough people can't drive as it is. I'm with you wormgod, like I said earlier I'm looking forward to my light coming on so I can rip all the abs stuff out lol. I've driven around 4-wheel drum vehicles with manual brakes before as a daily driver, I'm sure the VX will be easier to handle haha. Like you said, if you know how to pilot it, you'll be fine

Gussie2000
09/17/2010, 11:36 AM
Thank you guys for being kind enough to let me join the ABS loyalty squad team LOL.

My ABS came on yesterday morning while heading to work.

I need no ABS to pump my brakes,my right leg is fast enough to pump the s*** outter my brakes.

Marlin
09/17/2010, 11:56 AM
Ramairz, I was thinking about removing my ABS module and piping straight from the proportioning valve to the caliper lines. Only reason my light was on, I broke one of the sensors when I was doing my CV joint/locker install. Never looking back, need to pull the bulb though.

RamAirZ
09/17/2010, 12:07 PM
That would work just fine, that's my plan whenever mine goes out. I hate having to get the wiring out of the way up front when working on the CV's, it's a pain. I think I spent more time being careful taking the wiring out than I did getting everything else apart