PDA

View Full Version : Mystery HOLE...REALLY!

Troysaddress
08/19/2010, 08:56 AM
Front companion flange on transfer case has machined hole. ATF fluid leaking from hole. Blow air into transfer case and bubbling ATF fluid emerges.
Called Isuzu (including Merlin) parts/service....no idea! Called Dans Drivelines....no idea! Looked in the Isuzu manual, picture does not show/reflect this flange.

QUESTIONS; What is the purpose of this hole, and why would fluid leak from this hole?

nfpgasmask
08/19/2010, 09:16 AM
Troy, your pic is difficult to make out, but is the hole you are talking about on the right side?

My VX is leaking ATF bad right now. I *think* it is the 'selector shaft seal' and possibly the pan as well. I'm going to have to get under there and get it solved here at some point.

Bart

Y33TREKker
08/19/2010, 09:56 AM
Any chance that's something like a weep hole commonly used for water pumps, only in this case is there to serve as an indicator that a transfer case inner shaft seal has gone bad?

Triathlete
08/19/2010, 02:20 PM
Mystery HOLE...REALLY!

When I read the title I thought it was time to have "the talk"!:bwgy:

Keep us informed with what you find. I think Trekker may be thinking down the right path though.

Troysaddress
08/19/2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah I was thinking of the water pump hole(indicator of bad bearings/seal) as a similar example or maybe it is a vent for the transfer case. Still not sure. The hole is a little bit right of center on the pic. The pic is sideways (top would be towards the VX rear).

Someone here should know for sure...

Troysaddress
08/29/2010, 06:08 PM
Mystery holed SOLVED! Hole in front flange is as Y33TREKker stated. An indicator for a bad seal.