PDA

View Full Version : Head bolt snapped!

jdm monkey
08/19/2010, 06:47 AM
I'm in the process of swapping out cyl heads most of the bolts came out fine with the exception of 1 bolt. It broke off on the thread section in the block. %$#%$#$$#$@$#!!!!

crotchrocket
08/19/2010, 06:48 AM
****"!!!!!

crotchrocket
08/19/2010, 06:48 AM
DO you have an extractor?? How much of the bolt is sticking out ??

phines
08/19/2010, 10:34 AM
I had the same thing happen. It was on the passenger side, closest to the front. The worst part is they don't make an extractor that size that is long enough to get down into the block. My local service guy (not Isuzu) had a block-mountable drill that he used. They eventually got it out. There was no way I could have done that myself...

phines
08/19/2010, 10:36 AM
DO you have an extractor?? How much of the bolt is sticking out ??

If it is anything like mine was, it isn't sticking out at all. It will actually be several inches down in the block in a ~3/16" hole. Major P.I.T.A.

phines
08/19/2010, 10:39 AM
I'm in the process of swapping out cyl heads most of the bolts came out fine with the exception of 1 bolt. It broke off on the thread section in the block. %$#%$#$$#$@$#!!!!

You probably already know this, but you definitely want to replace every one of those bolts. Those bolts are seriously fatigued!

Hotsauce
08/19/2010, 04:16 PM
Put the head back on with the remaining bolts, a little more than hand tight.

Look in mcmaster carr, or msc catalog, and find a drill jig bushing that has an od the size of the hole in the head.

buy a long carbide center drill, and using the head and bushing to center the drill, drill a pilot hole in the old cyl bolt.

Once you have this done open the hole to correct size for extractor.

John C.

jdm monkey
08/21/2010, 09:30 AM
I had the same thing happen. It was on the passenger side, closest to the front. The worst part is they don't make an extractor that size that is long enough to get down into the block. My local service guy (not Isuzu) had a block-mountable drill that he used. They eventually got it out. There was no way I could have done that myself...
Yeah mine was on the passenger side at the very front closest to the frame...

You probably already know this, but you definitely want to replace every one of those bolts. Those bolts are seriously fatigued!
I have brand new ones. I'm trying to see if ARP sells studs for our engines I may need it since I'm going turbo...

Look in mcmaster carr, or msc catalog, and find a drill jig bushing that has an od the size of the hole in the head.

buy a long carbide center drill, and using the head and bushing to center the drill, drill a pilot hole in the old cyl bolt.

John C.
I'll give it a shot

rowhard
08/21/2010, 11:18 AM

John C.

good tip to remember. Is this the item your talking about? http://www.mcmaster.com/#drill-bushings-and-liners/=8i41m1

jdm monkey
09/03/2010, 10:16 AM
Good News:
whohoo I got the cylinder head bolt out!!!

Bad News!!!
1 cam retainer bolt broke!
I tried the same trick but it didnt work. It broke the extractor the bolt is too small.