PDA

View Full Version : Is the Disc brake backplate needed?

RAZ
08/18/2010, 07:02 AM
I'm doing the front brakes and the backplate is rusted bad and loose.
It drags on the disc I tried bending it alittle but its just cracking.
Is the backplate needed or can I just take it off? the other side is just as bad.
THANKS STEVE

WormGod
08/18/2010, 07:25 AM
I recommend keeping it if possible. They serve a couple of purposes.

They keep heat in, where it is needed, cause believe it or not, hot brakes have better stopping power. Considering we aren't driving F1 cars, we don't get THAT hot, but the heat is actually good for spirited driving. ;)

They keep as much moisture from the undercarriage possible away from the hot rotors. Over time, rain, snow, etc. moisture getting to those hot rotors easily will warp them.

The heat is trapped inside the rotor chamber and away from soft internals like brake lines, etc, that can sag and melt over time.

Protection of inner rotor facing from road debris.

I am thinking you could get a used one somewhere. Thinking that maybe even a new one wouldn't run ya too much.

Luna X
08/18/2010, 07:45 AM
I'm doing the front brakes and the backplate is rusted bad and loose.
It drags on the disc I tried bending it alittle but its just cracking.
Is the backplate needed or can I just take it off? the other side is just as bad.
THANKS STEVE

yes, you should keep the plates on there.

I believe "sleveritt" just posted some for sale...

nfpgasmask
08/18/2010, 08:42 AM
I'd keep them as well. However I have heard that some people who do a lot of mudding take them off to keep things from getting trapped between the dust sheild and the back of the rotor. But personally, I woudl keep them. If you can't find a used set, call Merlin. But I would try used first, car-part.com might be a good place to start.

Bart

joshi
08/18/2010, 09:14 AM
There is the eBay link for those used ones : Rotor heat shield/backplate from 99 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rotor-heat-shield-backplate-99-VX-120K-miles-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ110575005931QQptZMotorsQ5f CarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories)