PDA

View Full Version : Radiator drain plug

Jonnie
08/31/2003, 03:15 PM
Is there any (good) reason the drain plug is in such a hard place to get at? Geez! Took forever to find it as it is so buried. I had to check the manual.

Jonathan :confused:

SGT.BATGUANO
08/31/2003, 05:27 PM
So, where is it? Photos?

Hotsauce
09/01/2003, 07:26 AM
Its on the back side of the radiator, passenger side near the bottom. You will have to reach forward of the bottom rad support. I needed a pliers to turn it as I could only reach it with finger tips.

I run only 30% coolant, not the recommended 50%+. Water transfers heat better than coolant does. I do lose a little extreme cold protection, but I can blast the AC in dead traffic on hot days with no worries.

John C.

Jonnie
09/01/2003, 11:58 AM
Yeah, crawl under, past the front skid plate, reach around where light does not get, and you have it. A rubber strip should be well in your way. While you're way under there, its the perfect place for the glycol stream to nail you in the eyes.

Yeah, I'm a bit whiney. I'll try to provide a picture.

the larger of the 2 hoses needs to be replaced on my VX. I thought I was getting spatters from around the top clamp, but it looks like the radiator has a pinhole leak somewhere and the fan pulls it up and baptises the engine compartment. Sigh.

Do not get your hoses from AutoZone. The small hose is wrong (I am sure they pulled the right part) it's a little too long and not bent enough, so the hose kinks.

I was so pissed, I put the old one back on and never replaced the other one.

Jonathan

Tone
09/01/2003, 02:46 PM

Jonnie
09/01/2003, 05:05 PM
http://home.sprynet.com/~lewisj/P1010002.JPG http://home.sprynet.com/~lewisj/P1010003.JPG
As you can see (or not) its a bit difficult to get to. The plastic flange scares me, like its gonna break.

Jonathan

circmand
03/23/2009, 10:32 PM
I was under mine this afternoon for like a half hour and could not find it. With this I should be able to. BTW for those in hot climates have you tried Lucas Water Wetter? Does a great job of adding to your protection.

circmand
03/24/2009, 10:12 PM
I found it now what tool is best used to open this recessed plastic tit? Does anyone else think the Japanese are out to get us with all these hidden parts that all require differant tools to work on?