PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good eal or bad deal? *warnning lots of pics*

surf-life
08/13/2010, 09:50 AM
Ok so after a few months of reading post on this forum, and searching for a VX, I am 100% sure I have found mine! Unless everyone says no way.

It has 107xxx miles and has had the 90,000 service done at the stealership.

I am not going to say where the car is but it is in the south, the final price I have worked out is $5500 I am going to fly down to get it ($175 for the ticket), and drive back 18 hrs which = $300ish in gas? so a total of about $6000 to me.

I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/zz328/o4scooby/VX/

VX KAT
08/13/2010, 09:58 AM
Seems like a pretty good deal. I'm no expert, but the only thing that jumped out at me was the rust on the exhaust system...I believe I've read on here that stock exhausts/mufflers are no longer available, and some have had to have a shop fab/custom bend exhaust pieces. I think deermagnet had that done recently, and a few others. May want to consider that possible cost in the future. I'm guessing SD cars get a fair amount of rust over time.

Hope it works out for you!! Welcome to the fam!

p.s. I have several undercarriage pics in my gallery if you want to compare to. Mine has very little rust.

p.s.s.....we're a pretty good gang here, don't think anybody has sniped a VX from anybody ...(yet?)

surf-life
08/13/2010, 10:08 AM
Thank you for the quick reply, Here in SD there is not a vehicle inspection, so I just figured I would just make the exhaust a straight pipe :)
Let me say that I was very surprised that just about every thread ive read nobody was being flamed or put down for asking questions. Coming from import car forums this is a very pleasant relief.

H3_VX
08/13/2010, 10:09 AM
yeah, lots of rust, but that can be dealt with.

MSHardeman
08/13/2010, 10:20 AM
I remember the feeling of finding YOUR VX. I still kinda feel that way everytime I see her. Your's looks like it's in great shape, and for $6k total I think that's a pretty good deal. You already have the roof rack, so you're ahead of the game there, AND you got the fastest color,:thumbup: Get ready from some strange looks from other drivers, and not being able wipe the smile off of your face for many years to come.

Welcome to the family.

vt_maverick
08/14/2010, 11:44 AM
Let me say that I was very surprised that just about every thread ive read nobody was being flamed or put down for asking questions. Coming from import car forums this is a very pleasant relief.

x2 - Coming from the G35driver board the VX forum was a breath of fresh air. You know the DC G35 club's tag line was "We Know Drama" - what the heck does a car club need drama for? Don't get me wrong, we have a bit of that running around here too, but NOWHERE near the import forums. Probably has to do with the average on this board being 30 or 40ish vs. 18. :)

Nice find surf-life!

tomdietrying
08/14/2010, 11:57 AM
From looking at the concrete, I'd say that VX is in Texas. Am I right?
Peace.
Tom

ScottinMA
08/14/2010, 12:26 PM
Has the OEM wheels and the chrome is still on them! How can that be?

Knivx
08/14/2010, 02:20 PM
Has the OEM wheels and the chrome is still on them! How can that be?

My 18's still have all their chrome. No peeling or flaking at all. Of course we don't salt our roads in Idaho in the winter. And its a relatively dry climate.

surf-life
08/14/2010, 02:24 PM
Tomdietrying you are close.... it is in Tempe, AZ :)

Luna X
08/14/2010, 02:35 PM
... I lived in Tempe from 2000-07. Now, I'm 20 mins west from there... If you need to have someone look at it again, I could help out.

Dan B.

surf-life
08/14/2010, 02:57 PM
Luna x that would be sweet :) I have only been able to see it in the pictures. Send me a pm and I pay you through paypal what ever it cost you to get out there.

Luna X
08/14/2010, 03:57 PM
Hey Sue (VX Kat),

Didn't you already take a peek at this one? I remember you recently came down here....

VX KAT
08/14/2010, 04:09 PM
No, not this one. I went to Tempe to check out Bart's new Impulse.
I'll be going down again on Thursday 8/26 and could check it out in the afternoon. Just lemme know.

VX KAT
08/15/2010, 10:52 AM
Been thinkin' 'bout rust issue on this one..need to revise my comments now that I know it's in AZ.....that orange stuff could be from the orangish dirt in the AZ area.....not all rust. My undercarriage (and most other areas too:laugho:) is always covered with an orangish coating....this may not have as much rust as I first opined...
'Course I don't know where it's been for the last 10 yrs, but the coloration I see in the pics, makes me think it's more AZ dirt than rust....just my 2 cents...

Luna what do you think?

RallyDude
08/16/2010, 04:53 AM
Looks good to me. I think you have a keeper.

I've seen some quiet mufflers look a lot worse. If it's not making noise now, who knows, you might get 2 more years or more on it. Figure to pay $350 for a good cat-back system. On a used car, the exhaust is probably the last thing I worry about when buying a car.

Salvage titles, Crashed, Raced, Odometer Rollback, Engine Condition, TOD Tranny conditon, CV Joints, Windows, AC, Tires. Those are items I'm concerned with. Pay a mechanic to do a thorough check, and one of the fam to check the VX stuff.

If it checks out, you got a great deal. Looks like some good tread, you get a rack and side vent visors, plus bonus - the leather seats and armrest are not cracked or torn. There's 108,935 on the odometer. I'm guessing it may be one-owner as used car buyers are more likely to use independent mechanics. Not that I would ever have anything done at the dealership, it's a good sign that the repairs were done there. Check the receipt to see that everything has been done. And don't sweat having to pick up the car, it's pretty much mandatory when looking at these.

Welcome to the addiction. Good Luck with the truck; hope you have a safe, fun ride home.

VX KAT
09/13/2010, 06:50 PM
Hey Surf- Did you end up getting this one yet?

Marlin
09/13/2010, 07:29 PM
My undercarriage (and most other areas too:laugho:) is always covered with an orangish coating....

You might want to go to a doc about that.

circmand
09/14/2010, 08:03 AM
Kat is right about the orange AZ dust. If carfax comes out OK I would think a safe good deal.

Not that carfax is that good but worth it for free.

nfpgasmask
09/14/2010, 08:34 AM
I think you'll be fine. The underside of my VX looks like that, being a Chicago VX originally. Rusted exhaust pipes are one thing, frame rot is another, so as long as the frame is solid, you should be fine, and for $5,500 you can't go wrong. Just MAKE SURE you check your oil AT EVERY GAS STATION STOP. Do not neglect the oil and you will be just fine! Congrats and welcome.

Bart

PS - I know EXACTLY what you mean about import car forums and the douche-bags who like to flex their "knowledge" by putting down noobs. Not here, you're in the right spot.