PDA

View Full Version : 93 Trooper RS for wife

Marlin
08/12/2010, 06:10 PM
Well, I bought a 93 Trooper RS with automatic tranny for the wife as a trail truck/local daily driver. I am buying it from Joe D. He is currently doing a diff drop, sliders, bumper and installing a front aussie. I just ordered a set of 33" treadwright MTs, OME 919 springs, Rancho9000xl's, new upper and lower ball joints (not doing the wide stance mod), a CD player with integrated blue tooth. I am getting some 16x7 wheels off of the VX at the yards by my house. She will daily drive on the sweet trooper factory wheels and some street tires and trail on the VX chrome 5 stars and MTs. I also ordered a pair of race trim kids car seats and some red JDM 4 pt harnesses. So this RS should be about what Matt had before his ultimate build, which is just fine for me. I still need to call Matt at Indy4x and get some superwinch hubs. I know the aisins are stronger, but I busted one of my superwinch hubs on the VX, they sent me two brand new ones at no cost!!! So I already have one extra just in case. As far as I can tell, the RS has never been seriously wheeled, no rust, 126K miles. Joe is being kind enough to put in a new tranny and doing all the maintenance (belts, fluids, filters...) while he has it. He can do in a few hours what would take me days to do. It took me 3 days to install my aussie on my own, probably take him a few hours.
I am scouring the yards this weekend, who knows, maybe I will score some aisins:) I will pick up a couple of CVs, tie rods and misc for both trucks. Next mission is to sell my trailer and find a 35' gooseneck to pull behind the new F250. This way I can bring both trucks to Uwharrie, and maybe Moab in the spring. The VX is 100% for sure going to Moab next year.

I will post up some pics as soon as I get my hands on her...let the games begin. All new projects, not much left i can do to the VX :(

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o53/joed4x4/93RSa.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o53/joed4x4/93RSb.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o53/joed4x4/93RSc.jpg

Drink holders!!!
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o53/joed4x4/93RSd.jpg

vt_maverick
08/12/2010, 06:15 PM
Looks like it had a front impact at some point... hood, bumper, and headlights don't seem to line up, but it could just be the angle. Otherwise SUPER clean for a '93. Nice find! :thumbup:

Marlin
08/12/2010, 07:12 PM
Looks like it had a front impact at some point... hood, bumper, and headlights don't seem to line up, but it could just be the angle. Otherwise SUPER clean for a '93. Nice find! :thumbup:

The hood is popped and the bumper was off for the Joe D bumper build, I did that when I went and looked at it a few months ago. The hood does need refinished, the clear coat is all faded. Some wet sanding should fix that. If not, its nothing a little herculiner won't cover, or perhaps a matching functional hood scoop/heat vent wont't fix:bgwb:

Marlin
08/12/2010, 07:15 PM
I just did an insurance quote for it for liability, they listed it as having auto seatbelts, Big Swede, wanna chime in on that since its almost identical to yours?

vt_maverick
08/12/2010, 07:37 PM
The hood is popped and the bumper was off for the Joe D bumper build, I did that when I went and looked at it a few months ago. The hood does need refinished, the clear coat is all faded. Some wet sanding should fix that. If not, its nothing a little herculiner won't cover, or perhaps a matching functional hood scoop/heat vent wont't fix:bgwb:

Cool, I thought the hood might be popped but good to hear the other stuff has a legit explanation too. A hood scoop/vent would look really mean - maybe you should go all the way and retrofit Marlinstein Bumper v1 to give it the true hardcore look. ;)

RamAirZ
08/12/2010, 08:22 PM
^ lol. Looks awesome man, gonna be a sweet ride for sure. I'd love to get the wife into offroading, but after our last trip with the nose pointed straight up, she didn't like seeing nothing but clouds lol. She's sticking with her muscle cars, which is cool with me, at least she's into cars. Are you putting a winch on it? You should do the "JDM" hood scoop, something like this (mine was a Mustang hood scoop)

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/Gorman%20Isuzu%20Trip/IMG_2655.jpg

tom4bren
08/13/2010, 06:30 AM
Next mission is to sell my trailer and find a 35' gooseneck to pull behind the new F250.

When you go to sell the trailer, make sure you advertise it here. I may be interested. I'll even come pick it up since Wifey & I have been talking about visiting Charleston for a long time now.

nfpgasmask
08/13/2010, 09:45 AM
Nice, very nice. I would love a RS of the 93 or 89 flavor.

And cupholders? Come on! Isuzu should have changed their slogan from "Go Farther" to "No Cup Holders". :laughing:

Bart

PS - My Isuzu dream garage:

[ ] 2004 Isuzu Axiom
[x] 2001 Ebony VehiCROSS
[ ] 2001 Kaiser VehiCROSS
[ ] 2001 Foxfire VehiCROSS
[ ] 1999/2001 Isuzu Trooper
[ ] 1993 Isuzu Trooper RS
[x] 1991 Isuzu Trooper 4-door
[ ] 1989 Isuzu Trooper RS
[ ] 1989 Black Isuzu Impulse Turbo
[x] 1987 Isuzu Impulse Turbo RS Special Edition
[ ] 1985/6 Isuzu Trooper Diesel 2-door

I think that would be pretty a pretty sweet collection. :laughing:

RamAirZ
08/13/2010, 10:05 AM
You need to have a 99' Astral on there Bart, lol.

Marlin
08/13/2010, 12:20 PM
When you go to sell the trailer, make sure you advertise it here. I may be interested. I'll even come pick it up since Wifey & I have been talking about visiting Charleston for a long time now.

I posted it up on the planet since no one really lives close to me. But here ya go:
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=42859

Marlin
08/13/2010, 12:21 PM
Nice, very nice. I would love a RS of the 93 or 89 flavor.

And cupholders? Come on! Isuzu should have changed their slogan from "Go Farther" to "No Cup Holders". :laughing:

Bart

PS - My Isuzu dream garage:

[ ] 2004 Isuzu Axiom
[x] 2001 Ebony VehiCROSS
[ ] 2001 Kaiser VehiCROSS
[ ] 2001 Foxfire VehiCROSS
[ ] 1999/2001 Isuzu Trooper
[ ] 1993 Isuzu Trooper RS
[x] 1991 Isuzu Trooper 4-door
[ ] 1989 Isuzu Trooper RS
[ ] 1989 Black Isuzu Impulse Turbo
[x] 1987 Isuzu Impulse Turbo RS Special Edition
[ ] 1985/6 Isuzu Trooper Diesel 2-door

I think that would be pretty a pretty sweet collection. :laughing:

Umm, if I had admin access, I would fix your list, you are missing Proton, I am sure it was just an alcohol induced oversight.

kodiak
08/13/2010, 01:52 PM
Very cool! Look's like it's in good shape. Cant wait to see it next year.

BigSwede
08/13/2010, 02:45 PM
I just did an insurance quote for it for liability, they listed it as having auto seatbelts, Big Swede, wanna chime in on that since its almost identical to yours?
I don't even know what those are...mine are standard 3-point seatbelts, pull it over your shoulder and click it.

I know for dang sure my insurance company never asked me about it...

nfpgasmask
08/13/2010, 03:57 PM
You need to have a 99' Astral on there Bart, lol.
Honestly, one of every color would be ideal...but...

:rolleyes: Bart

nfpgasmask
08/13/2010, 04:01 PM
I don't even know what those are...mine are standard 3-point seatbelts, pull it over your shoulder and click it.

I know for dang sure my insurance company never asked me about it...

Funny, the 89 Impulse I took for a test drive had "auto seatbelts". You know, the kind that retract when you open the door and then strap back over your chest when you sit down....a lot of late 80s Japanese cars had them. My brother-in-law's old Honda Civic had them, iirc. I was surprised and relieved when I got in the 87; it has regualar seat belts. I think the automatic ones can be problematic.

Bart

Marlin
08/13/2010, 04:49 PM
*sigh*, once again another :hj:

Kodiak, I dont think the RS will be coming to Moab, Ramairz may come up my way, we will load both VXs on my trailer, and split the gas out to Moab. Saves us both some bucks, and piece of mind if we break something on one of the rigs. And how sweet would it be to have two VXs on one trailer going cross country!!!!!!!
I scheduled an appointment today for the goose neck hitch to get installed on the F250. Soon it becomes serious trailer shopping time. just gotta sell mine first...

tom4bren
08/13/2010, 05:48 PM
Marlin,

I want to buy your trailer but gotta talk to Wifey first. We have a wedding to pay for in 2011 so finances will be tight.

Tom

Marlin
08/13/2010, 06:33 PM
Marlin,

I want to buy your trailer but gotta talk to Wifey first. We have a wedding to pay for in 2011 so finances will be tight.

Tom

Sure, if you want to find out from an independent third party how nice it is, you can talk to beagler or ditchdoc or cavmedic or jwood on the planet. They have all seen it in person multiple times. A few saw it at Moab in 09 as well. I have upgraded it since then, but they saw it:)
Let me know, I will hold off posting it on CL until you get back to me. If you do head this way, let me know, I can help you out with reservations up at shortstay (the awesome campground I told you about).
As for the wedding in '11, thats easy, today some guy offered me 150 bucks in food stamps for 75 bucks in alcohol, I was in my dress whites, what I douche, I told him to "Take your lazy *** and get a job." I was so POed, the gall to ask a military guy in uniform no less. Good thing I wasn't carrying a firearm.:flame2: You could gather food stamps to pay for the caterer!!!! Half price!!

tom4bren
08/13/2010, 06:36 PM
I did check out your postings on the Planet. It looks perfect for my needs. I'll let you know sumpn on Monday.

The deal with buying the one from Welder Guy seems to have fallen through ... he hasn't mentioned it in months.

RamAirZ
08/14/2010, 09:02 AM
And how sweet would it be to have two VXs on one trailer going cross country!!!!!!!

:yesb::yesgray::yesy:

VX KAT
08/14/2010, 09:15 AM
Tom- Not sure if this is of any help, but....
don't know if you're real familiar with how PayPal works, but you can "pay" Marlin via PayPal and have it go on your credit card of choice (that you have already set up on PP). Just ends up looking like any other "charged" purchase on your cc.

Marlin
08/14/2010, 05:04 PM
Oh man was it a good day at the yards!!!!!!!!! I got the 4 16" wheels off the VX at the yards, no chrome peeling, all center caps good and one brand new cooper discovery HT (other 3 tires were garbage, I am sure his TOD loved that) for 130 bucks!!!!
I also got the grill insert with fangs, the fangs are heading to the UK and the insert is replacing mine, I cracked it:(

Then I went to the pic n pull and scored a set of Aisin hubs off of an old pup! 31 bucks. Took me a few hours to get em off, had to buy a 3/8 drive 8mm socket, they were on there tight. There is no play in the hubs, and the grease was clean.

I also picked up some goodies I will post in another thread. I need to go back and get transfer case and tranny skid plates.

Triathlete
08/14/2010, 05:37 PM
I got the 4 16" wheels off the VX at the yards, no chrome peeling

Marlin, the 16's do not have the peeling problem of the 18's since they are not crome plated.

RamAirZ
08/14/2010, 06:13 PM
Nice! I need to go to the yards around here and start scoring Zu parts

Marlin
08/14/2010, 06:13 PM
Marlin, the 16's do not have the peeling problem of the 18's since they are not crome plated.

That would be why they look so nice:)

Marlin
08/14/2010, 07:22 PM
Nice! I need to go to the yards around here and start scoring Zu parts

I watched em crush a nice looking 1st gen amigo. Only had 132K miles,guy said it still ran as he pitched it to the claw tractor. It was a 2wd, so no tears were shed:rolleyes:

RamAirZ
08/14/2010, 10:21 PM
still sucks though, there's a zu fan somewhere that would have loved that amigo. lol

Marlin
08/24/2010, 01:10 PM
Alright, its coming together, got all the new ball joints in, OME919s are on their way from Australia, her tires showed up todayfrom treadwright. Not the prettiest things, but they are virtually identical in tread pattern to the BFG MTs. All 4 are on Dueler AT carcasses. They look nice as far as that goes, but you can definitely tell they are retreads. But for trail tires, and at that price, I am happy. Her blue tooth stereo came in yesterday, takes usb, sd cards, ipod, mini usb and is bluetooth phone ready, no stupid kit to add on. Under 100 bucks from Hong Kong via Ebay. I also have her rancho 9000s sitting here, the extra wheels, her sirius radio kit. Now all I need is the truck, hopefully will be done next weekend. I will post up pics when I have it in hand. Gotta get the MTs mounted tomorrow, the tires it comes with are dry rotted, so she will have to drive on the mudders till I get her new street tires. Gonna be busy once that thing shows up. I am gonna cut the rear end off, and probably rhino line here lower rockers and do my cladding at the same time, herculiner is doing a rebate right now, 20 bucks off the 1 gallon kit, which should be enough to my cladding and hers I hope.

Marlin
10/08/2010, 04:41 PM
Woohooo, I pick up the RS tomorrow...finally. He is also throwing a set of diff drops together for me to put on the VX. Joe Darlington is the man!!! I am also hitting up the big junk yard up there, so expect some more parts to pop up on my parts thread, looking for trooper drink holders, cv joints, dash bezels and anything else that catches my fancy.
I will post up some fresh before pics tomorrow evening, and some after pics sunday evening after lift and whatnot. I can't wait!!! New toy, it too is virgin, no mods except the sliders, locker, dif drop that I paid Joe to go ahead and do. Hmmmm, another cherry.

Ldub
10/08/2010, 05:06 PM
I can't wait!!! New toy, it too is virgin, no mods except the sliders, locker, dif drop that I paid Joe to go ahead and do. Hmmmm, another cherry.

Make a bumper for it first...:yesgray:...:thumbup:

Marlin
10/08/2010, 05:19 PM
Make a bumper for it first...:yesgray:...:thumbup:

LOL, Joe will make a custom bumper with a winch mount for any ZU for 600 bucks. Add shackle mounts for 40 bucks. He keeps trying to get me to leave the VX with him so he can make me a real one. Then he can use mine as a template and we could produce a sweet VX bumper. His work is top notch, as those that have heard of Darlington Offroad know.

Marlin
10/09/2010, 06:55 PM
Spent the day with Joe Darlington, the junk yrad run was a bust, price of steel is up, so they crushed hundreds of cars:( The RS is now on the trailer in front of the house.
I dug through glove box, its only had about 1000 miles put on it since 2003!!! Starts right up, but it sounds like its skipping a bit, its probably injector. He put a new tank, plugs, wires, coil packs, timing belt, and so on. I am gonna sea foam it, if that doesn't work, he told me to bring it back up there and we can replace the injectors. No worries. Can't wait till tomorrow!! Ball joints, lift and CVs are first. Then to Pepboys for alignment and to mount the mud tires. I might have them flush the cooling system as well.
I will post up some before pics in the morning. I have never seen an Isuzu with no rust at 126K miles, but this thing is 100% rust free, and its not a paint over, still has all the original waxy stuff thats on the undercarriage!! Its 18 years old and still pristine!!! It may be one of a handful of Trooper RS's that are in this good of shape. Don't worry, I will take care of it, not destroy it like the VX. I am repainting all the skid plates in the morning.
He replaced the RS with an even more rare vehicle. He got ahold of a Daihatsu Rocky. Runs, in decent shape. Awesome little truck. I think it was a 92, one of like 274 made. His has the removable rear hard top and front removable sunroof. Its kind of like a sammy on steroids.
http://www.auto-types.com/images/daihatsu/Daihatsu_Rocky_1_351.jpg

Marlin
10/10/2010, 09:07 AM
Just finished the rear lift and shocks. Getting ready to start on the front, ball joints, cvs, shocks, ball joint flip...Tons of fun, already bleeding, damned Isuzu god and his required sacrifices. Its nice to not break bolts, everything so far, once I got it broke loose,came off by hand with no tools. Very nice:)

Marlin
10/10/2010, 04:18 PM
I am exhausted, all that stuff took me about 10 hours with a 20 min break. I forgot to eat...pretty sure I have some heat stress going. Its sitting at Pepboys right now for the coolant flush, 3 step injector flush, 1 yr alignment, mount and balance 5 tires, install the CVs...I got it all apart, and I am just exhausted, only 1 hour labor to put em back in, I am willing to pay the 70 bucks for that. They are also cranking the torsion bars for me, my impact gun didnt have enough nuts behind it. No way I was cheater baring those bad boys that many turns. Pics coming tomorrow, time for a shower, read the kids a story, and we are going to bed.

Marlin
10/10/2010, 05:39 PM
Heading to bed, here are the pics, all before modding, takin this morning, after shots tomorrow afternoon:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1603.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1605.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1601.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1606.JPG

samneil2000
10/11/2010, 08:17 AM
Cool ride. I love the headlight wipers... haha

Marlin
10/11/2010, 09:33 AM
The blades are shot, gotta track down some replacements and find a sprayer nozzle.

vt_maverick
10/11/2010, 10:49 AM
Make a bumper for it first...

+1 lol. :laughy:

...Don't worry, I will take care of it, not destroy it like the VX.

Now you've done it, no defending yourself now that you've admitted what many have long since concluded. ;) :D

He got ahold of a Daihatsu Rocky. Runs, in decent shape. Awesome little truck. I think it was a 92, one of like 274 made. His has the removable rear hard top and front removable sunroof. Its kind of like a sammy on steroids.

Wiki page for those curious... interesting reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daihatsu_Rocky

LOL, Joe will make a custom bumper with a winch mount for any ZU for 600 bucks.

I wonder if he could copy SPAZZ's if I let him borrow it. I'm meeting my friend that lives in your neighborhood at VT this weekend, maybe I could have him haul it back and drop it off with you, then you could carry it to Joe at Halowharrie (or however the h3ll you spell it). Food for thought.

Nice truck!!!

Marlin
10/11/2010, 12:34 PM
+1 lol.

I wonder if he could copy SPAZZ's if I let him borrow it. I'm meeting my friend that lives in your neighborhood at VT this weekend, maybe I could have him haul it back and drop it off with you, then you could carry it to Joe at Halowharrie (or however the h3ll you spell it). Food for thought.

Nice truck!!!

Ummm, he can make anything, probably take the one you have and improve it. Wouldn't be too expensive, he is not far from you actually, he is in Goldsboro, NC. If you bring to Uwharrie, drop it off with him and pick it up later. No problemo. He really really wants to make a top notch bumper that looks like our cladding, but is actually functional. It would be all curves vice angles, but that would be closer to 1200. I am very tempted, but it hurts my pride:)

vt_maverick
10/11/2010, 06:30 PM
Wow would really be interested to see what a "curvy" cladding replacement bumper might look like. Unfortunately I'm out for Uwharrie, already would have been a tight fit with all the travel I'm doing this fall, plus had to take the daughter to the ER last night (just sick, no trauma) so I have those huge bills to look forward to. :mad: But at least she'll be back to normal by the weekend...

RamAirZ
10/11/2010, 07:14 PM
Something like this design?

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j113/nomadic_isuzu/The%20Other%20Stuff/VehiCROSSbumperconcept.jpg

vt_maverick
10/11/2010, 07:17 PM
Pretty cool, did you find that somewhere or make it yourself?

Marlin
10/12/2010, 04:35 AM
Cool ride. I love the headlight wipers... haha

Replacements at isuzuparts.com, 86 bucks for entire arm and sprayer assembly.

Marlin
10/12/2010, 05:39 PM
I just got the little beast home. The guy in the shop said it reminded him of a scared cat:) Think of when it just begins to arch its back and leap into the air.
The lift came out nice, it was 13" from the bottom of the slider to the ground when I got it home, now it is a little over 16". The tires are two inches bigger than the street set, so 2" of lift from the OME919s and torsion bar crank. It may be a little high in the front, I will mess with it tomorrow. Runs like a champ, very rich, but to be expected since it hasn't been driven in several years. Fires up first try. Still have a lot of little stuff to do. More pics to follow.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1607.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1609.JPG

Marlin
10/12/2010, 07:02 PM
Just finished some tinkering. I forgot I had the VX factory airbox with a new K&N drop in filter!! Fits perfect. Also swapped out old bulbs with silverstars. New floormats. The washer fluid resevoir is leaking, but the headlight wipers work!!!! Sweet. Everything else sems to work. The drivers door dome light switch is broken. Fix that tomorrow.

Marlin
10/14/2010, 01:45 PM
More pics, just took it out to play in the mud, got all the skid plates coated and mounted, gas tank skid is mounted. She started putting her tats on it. Looking good so far.
The damn thing runs so quiet on the road, you can't tell if the engine is still on. I need to get an exhaust on that thing, makes throttle control easier of you can hear the truck.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1610.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1612.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1613.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1611.JPG

Mile High VX
10/15/2010, 04:55 PM
Local U-Pull-It in Colorado Springs has a 95 RS 2-door if you find you need something let me know and I'll see if they have it for you.

Marlin
10/16/2010, 05:58 AM
Local U-Pull-It in Colorado Springs has a 95 RS 2-door if you find you need something let me know and I'll see if they have it for you.

Sweet, I will let you know. Its weird being on the other end as a parts supplier:)

Marlin
10/16/2010, 11:30 AM
You won't believe what I found in the truck. I am in the process of installing a subwoofer/amp/deck and whatnot. I have been doing this since I was 14 or so. I was pulling up the carpet on the passenger side and I found a few pennies. No biggie. Then I kept going, I have filled a big tupperware bowl so far with pennies! There are hundreds of them. No wonder I heard rattling all the time. How does that much change get under the carpet? I am not kidding, there are hundreds of pennies. I am pulling em out in handfuls. I will count them later and let you know how much it was. Too bad it wasn't silver dollars...

RamAirZ
10/16/2010, 12:18 PM
I found a little over $27 in change under the console/carpet of an old Camaro I had. It's weird how much change you can find.

Marlin
10/16/2010, 03:00 PM
I did a rough count, I counted out 100, made a pile, and then made similar sized piles. There are close to 1000 pennies. There are still a bunch more in there, I gave up, I would have to take out the seats and pull all the carpet up, not worth it for 10 bucks. If they continue to rattle audibly, I figure a can of expanding insulation foam will do the trick quite nicely:)

samneil2000
10/16/2010, 05:38 PM
Is that like a prank or something? He guys, let's dump 20 bucks worth of pennies under the carpet of so and so's Trooper. That'll be awesome...
How does that happen?

Mile High VX
10/16/2010, 05:51 PM
Never know what someone who works on your car might do if he gets peeved at ya'.

Had a friend that had a terrible clunking in a new car back in the 80's. Turned out to be two glass coke bottles that were placed in the bumper...never figured out if it came from the factory, or if the dealership guys did on one of his many "warranty" rants...go figure.

Marlin
10/16/2010, 06:18 PM
The best I came up with is that every time he had pennies, he put them in the Ebrake slot. I am the third owner, and the last owner just bought it cause it was an RS and it sat in his pseudoisuzujunkyard. So, a decade of penny pitching down the slot...and here I am, reaping the benefits of hundreds of pennies:)

Marlin
10/17/2010, 02:48 PM
Pulled the carpet and seats out, found a couple more bucks in pennies. Finished the stereo, she now has blue tooth phone and music streaming, satellite radio, 10 subwoofer, new front and rear speakers. Hooed up her CB, all stored int eh glove box. THe box is awesome! It has a rubber surround that prevents anything from falling behind it. Replaced headlights with silverstars. Truck is ready to roll. Swapped out the original grill insert with a black one and of course painted her ISUZU red and put it upside down:)
Her passneger seat folds up prettty neat. It not only slides forward, but pops up onto itself about 3 inches, eliminating the need for a seat extender.

tom4bren
10/18/2010, 06:08 AM
You won't believe what I found in the truck.

Actually I would.

I found a cupla hundred .22 shells under the spare of an Eclipse I bought years ago - didn't find them till I'd been driving it on Post for a few weeks ... NOT GOOD!!!

I found a bandaide box (the old metal kind) full of the PO's stash inside the seat of my wife's Amigo (it had zipper upholstery closure on the back of the seat) - didn't find it till I'd been driving it on Post for several years ... EVEN MORE WORSER!!! ... "Honest Officer - it's not mine, the previous owner musta left that behind"

samneil2000
10/18/2010, 06:15 AM
Actually I would.

I found a cupla hundred .22 shells under the spare of an Eclipse I bought years ago - didn't find them till I'd been driving it on Post for a few weeks ... NOT GOOD!!!

I found a bandaide box (the old metal kind) full of the PO's stash inside the seat of my wife's Amigo (it had zipper upholstery closure on the back of the seat) - didn't find it till I'd been driving it on Post for several years ... EVEN MORE WORSER!!! ... "Honest Officer - it's not mine, the previous owner musta left that behind"

Gotta destroy the evidence! haha

tom4bren
10/18/2010, 06:54 AM
Gotta destroy the evidence! haha

It'd prolly been in there for a decade (well before we got the car). It was so dessicated that even Cheech would've turnded it down.

The funny thing is that the Amigo also had a locking compartment inside the center console & we never had a key. I immediately went to a locksmith to break into it to see what other goodies there might be. PO used the locking part of the console to store his trash (Twinkie wrappers - rekin the munchie syndrome had kicked in).

vt_maverick
10/18/2010, 10:01 AM
Those stories are insane... I think the most I've ever found was a candy wrapper or two. Maybe I should start taking apart the back of my VX...

Her passneger seat folds up prettty neat. It not only slides forward, but pops up onto itself about 3 inches, eliminating the need for a seat extender.

Don't suppose that same mechanism would work in the VX would it?

Marlin
10/18/2010, 11:02 AM
Those stories are insane... I think the most I've ever found was a candy wrapper or two. Maybe I should start taking apart the back of my VX...

Don't suppose that same mechanism would work in the VX would it?

I will look into the seat mounts, but I don't think it would work.

Marlin
08/13/2011, 09:25 AM
Well, the RS was down since Feb, needed what the mechanic said was a new rear end. Tracked down a rear third with 4.56s. I put all that in myself, only to discover it was actually a rear wheel bearing. PITA. Now she has an open rear third instead of LSD and I am way too lazy to swap it again. One day, I will get bored and probably put an aussie in the open carrier and sell the G80 rear LSD with the 4.56. I could see swapping the VX to 4.56 as well.
I scored a set of 16" snowflakes a while back, been sitting in my garage. I found a mom and pop to mount and balance 4 tires for 40 bucks. Sweet deal.

With the OEM wheels, it looked like a scared cat, really tall, way too narrow. With the rodeo wheels, the tires stick out about 2", making the track width about 6" wider. Much more stable, and looks 10 times better.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/2011-08-13_08-22-13_86.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/2011-08-13_08-14-20_715.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/198566211_photobucket_37763_.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/198566211_photobucket_37764_.jpg

Now it looks like a man's truck...er woman's truck, since it is supposed to be the wife's. I think its mine, since I do all the work on it.
It should ship to Missouri sometime in the next few weeks, followed a few weeks later by the VX. Beats the hell out of driving one of the beasties 1500 miles. No thanks.

nfpgasmask
08/13/2011, 01:01 PM
That is sooo nice.

Bart

Marlin
08/13/2011, 01:29 PM
That is sooo nice.

Bart

Thanks, it looks like a little tonka truck now. The wife actually did most of the bedliner on the rockers/bumpers. She did the sanding and we top coated it twice with the UV protectant. Came out pretty good I think.

RamAirZ
08/13/2011, 04:01 PM
Looks good! Much better with the flakes on, do you want some center caps for the rear? I have 2 sitting in my garage

Marlin
08/13/2011, 04:26 PM
Sure, if you don't need em. I assume all the snowflakes have the same size centercap? I know the VX wheels do not. The 18" centercaps do not fit the 16" wheels.

These snowflakes are 16s.

Marlin
08/13/2011, 06:17 PM
I think it needs a roof rack, unfortunately, there isn't a way to mount the cross bars. I would have to weld it to the gutters, which I have seen on some other Zus, when done right, it looks awesome. That means if I do it, it will look horrible:)

VX KAT
08/13/2011, 06:30 PM
I would have to weld it to the gutters, which I have seen on some other Zus, when done right, it looks awesome. That means if I do it, it will look horrible:)

:laugho:....:slap:

really looks good guys! :thumbup:, I def like the black bedliner lower trim and the snowflakes too.

RamAirZ
08/14/2011, 01:51 PM
Ya you can have them. I'm missing a mounting bolt from each one btw but 2 will hold them on or you can pick up 2 bolts. I'll clean them up and paint the centers black (they have Honda emblems on them lol). Just pay shipping and they are yours. You could always mount a stock trooper rack to the roof (drill a few holes) and attach a basket to that.

Marlin
08/14/2011, 01:57 PM
Ya you can have them. I'm missing a mounting bolt from each one btw but 2 will hold them on or you can pick up 2 bolts. I'll clean them up and paint the centers black (they have Honda emblems on them lol). Just pay shipping and they are yours. You could always mount a stock trooper rack to the roof (drill a few holes) and attach a basket to that.

Sweet. I am always hesitant to drill holes in the roof. Future leaks and whatnot.
Let me know what to send you, I will paypal you.

RamAirZ
08/14/2011, 02:02 PM
K I'll let ya know soon. As for the holes, just put some sealant on the top and bottom before you tighten everything down and you should be good. You could always weld the bolts in and have them as studs to sit the rack down on.

ZEUS
08/15/2011, 10:44 AM
Yeah that has a nice stance now - I also dig the coated belt line!

vt_maverick
08/15/2011, 04:40 PM
Ditto on all the above - looks fantastic Chris! Would love to have another rare 2-door SUV that I'd be less afraid to hurt lol.

:thumbup:

Marlin
08/15/2011, 04:46 PM
I am far more afraid of hurting the RS than the VX. It is FAR and away more rare than the VX. Plus, the RS is so much nicer than the VX. The VX looks cooler, but thats about it. Their performance is about the same, 20HP difference and no tod. The interior is a lot more comfortable and it has more rear storage since the rear seats are further forward.
Unfortunately, its no head turner.

Oh, it has headlight washers and a rear windshield I can see out of:)

Ldub
08/15/2011, 05:22 PM

DANG...I DO :heart: the camaraderie around this here place...:yes: ( sorry trek, there I go again...:rolleyesg)

Good on you Dude...:yesgray:

As an aside experience...

I once drove an 86 Troop turbo D as my work truck.
One day, after installing a storm door on a house, I was headed back to the shop with the old door destined for the dumpster.

On an overpass, a gust of wind caught the door, which had been ratchet strapped to the factory rack, & sailed it neary 50 yds into the ditch.

Never heard or felt anything, didn't know I had a bare nekkid roof until I got back to the shop & went to unload the door...:confusedw

Replaced the stock rack with one of these...http://www.americanvan.com/ladder-racks/full-size-van/ultimate-maintenance-free-aluminum-ladder-rack-3-supports-1.html (had to cut the width a bit to make it fit)

No more problem.

Marlin
08/15/2011, 05:35 PM
DANG...I DO :heart: the camaraderie around this here place...:yes: ( sorry trek, there I go again...:rolleyesg)
Me too, that's why I always pay my dues...lol
Good on you Dude...:yesgray:

As an aside experience...

I once drove an 86 Troop turbo D as my work truck.
One day, after installing a storm door on a house, I was headed back to the shop with the old door destined for the dumpster.
Bet you wish you still had that beauty!!!
On an overpass, a gust of wind caught the door, which had been ratchet strapped to the factory rack, & sailed it neary 50 yds into the ditch.

Never heard or felt anything, didn't know I had a bare nekkid roof until I got back to the shop & went to unload the door...:confusedw

Replaced the stock rack with one of these...http://www.americanvan.com/ladder-racks/full-size-van/ultimate-maintenance-free-aluminum-ladder-rack-3-supports-1.html (had to cut the width a bit to make it fit)

No more problem.

I am thinking a low profile safari style rack(almost flush on the roof) and some waffle boards, I love this look:
http://www.rocky-road.com/media/trooper1.JPG

vt_maverick
08/15/2011, 07:22 PM
I am far more afraid of hurting the RS than the VX. It is FAR and away more rare than the VX.

I remember someone mentioning that in an earlier thread, but unfortunately my search skills are failing me. Remind me what the production count was?

VX KAT
08/15/2011, 09:50 PM
Oh, it has headlight washers and a rear windshield I can see out of:)

Maybe you can help BigSwede's wipers.....:goof:
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/DSC_7099-2.jpg

Marlin
08/16/2011, 03:52 AM
I remember someone mentioning that in an earlier thread, but unfortunately my search skills are failing me. Remind me what the production count was?

From what I have gathered, there were only 1500 imported to the US over the entire Trooper RS era. That would 85-95 IIRC. I am sure there are some expert Zu statisticians that give the exact numbers. I know I have only seen 4 RS in my life: Swedes, another one at Moab, I can't remember her name, but it was a second gen, my wife's and Matt from Indy4x4 brought his out to the last URE meet.

VXs I have spotted around town, and whatnot. Never an RS!!!

As for helping swede's wipers, I offered, I found some at a junkyard that were in working condition, he said he didn't need em:) I took em for the blades for the wife's. Hers work now, good blades, squirters and so on.

vt_maverick
08/16/2011, 07:25 AM
From what I have gathered, there were only 1500 imported to the US over the entire Trooper RS era. That would 85-95 IIRC. I am sure there are some expert Zu statisticians that give the exact numbers.
Still seems like you'd want to protect the VX first since it shares no external body panels, lights, or glass (possibly excluding the front) with any other vehicle. Sure there were only 1500 RS's, but there were hundreds of thousands (maybe more) Troopers with compatible body parts made during that time. Seems like the only thing that would be unique to the RS would be the doors (often longer than on four door vehicles, but maybe not) and rear quarter panel.

Marlin
08/23/2011, 05:06 PM
Just picked the RS up from the shop. It now has AC again, after 10 years of no AC! Also got a new exhaust, Flowmaster lost their patent a year ago or so. Incinerator made a clone, 1/4 the cost. It sounds pretty good with the Flowmaster 40 clone, but that 3.2 doesn't sound near as good as the 3.5.

BigSwede
08/23/2011, 06:18 PM
Seems like the only thing that would be unique to the RS would be the doors (often longer than on four door vehicles, but maybe not) and rear quarter panel.
Not sure about the doors, I would guess they are the same as the 4-door fronts. The 2 side windows, however, are unique to the RS. Just ask Matt Brown after he broke his...