PDA

View Full Version : General VX Questions

RickOKC
08/10/2010, 08:11 PM
Apologies in advance – I know my search skills suck so I most likely didn’t use the right combination of words to find my answers:

A) My VX will start without depressing the brake pedal - is this normal. (Maybe I'm just mis-remembering how automatics work since I've only driven 5-speeds for so long.)

B) The hood insert – what is the correct, original texture for the paint? Is it a shiny gloss, semi-gloss or a flat that you can feel?

C) The horny-toad portion of the headlights – do they have a purpose other than looking like 400 lbs of badass-awesome-mega-cool?

Ldub
08/10/2010, 08:32 PM
B = smooth semi gloss/satin

C = they also house the running lights

RickOKC
08/10/2010, 09:13 PM
B = smooth semi gloss/satin

C = they also house the running lights
B = THANKS! My insert is in great shape but it's somewhat faded and uneven in color so I'm thinking about painting. It looks a lot better even with something temporary like Armour-All, but I'd like it to look "right" and be more permanent. (Hey, were is the Black vs. Not-Exactly-Black Color Argument thread? I keep coming across lighthearted references to it, but never found the actual topic! LOL!)

C = So what do running lights in that location do for us? (Besides look killer.) :) Sorry, I just don't understand what function they perform.

VX KAT
08/10/2010, 09:30 PM
A = mine's always started w/o brake depressed...think Isuzu must have decided not to implement that. It's basis, (I believe) originates from the whole Audi 100 / unintended acceleration debacle of the 80s.

B = I applied 1 coat of Refinish/Restore to mine - makes it look like it's waxed, with a somewhat satin type finish, I like it that way.

C = horn lights allow Suzie to put uber kool neon purple/UV lights there! :bgwb:...other than that, I dunno:_confused

lasturbo
08/10/2010, 09:37 PM
B) Here is one of the famous threads for hood insert and colors:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16846

PK
08/10/2010, 10:14 PM
A) You can start without your foot on the brake if your trannie is in Park.

To shift out of Park, you have to have your foot on the brake.

PK

RickOKC
08/10/2010, 10:20 PM
A = mine's always started w/o brake depressed...think Isuzu must have decided not to implement that. It's basis, (I believe) originates from the whole Audi 100 / unintended acceleration debacle of the 80s.

B = I applied 1 coat of Refinish/Restore to mine - makes it look like it's waxed, with a somewhat satin type finish, I like it that way.

C = horn lights allow Suzie to put uber kool neon purple/UV lights there! :bgwb:...other than that, I dunno:_confused
A = THANKS! I suspected that starting without applying brakes was probably normal, but wanted to know for sure. Now I feel better knowing that somebody didn't screw around with "who-knows-what"! Funny how we get used to "how things work" so quickly.

B = I have GOT to buy the finish restorer you have written about. If I recall correctly, your cladding when from fairly light to quite dark and that is what I want. I'm glad to hear you're still recommending it after reading your early impressions. Still like it? Did it even out a more after additional applications? I need to look up your recommended 303 Protectant, too and see what that's about, too.

C = I saw that post, too! Purple looks awesome, but here in Mayberry I'd probably get impounded for having non-standard colors. :(

RickOKC
08/10/2010, 10:22 PM
B) Here is one of the famous threads for hood insert and colors:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16846
LOL, thanks! The instant that poll popped up I was LMAO!

RickOKC
08/10/2010, 10:23 PM

PK
Much appreciated! Everything is working just like that so I feel better now. :)

Ldub
08/10/2010, 10:47 PM
C) The horny-toad portion of the headlights – do they have a purpose other than looking like 400 lbs of badass-awesome-mega-cool?

When you go supersonic, the little vapor cones that form behind them look cule...:yesgray:

PK
08/10/2010, 10:53 PM
When you go supersonic, the little vapor cones that form behind them look cule...:yesgray:

Wow - that was close.:o:o

Dub nearly used that awful "cute" word. :smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

PK

VX KAT
08/10/2010, 10:56 PM
B = I have GOT to buy the finish restorer you have written about. If I recall correctly, your cladding when from fairly light to quite dark and that is what I want. I'm glad to hear you're still recommending it after reading your early impressions. Still like it? Did it even out a more after additional applications? I need to look up your recommended 303 Protectant, too and see what that's about, too.

My cladding seems to be a bit on the lighter/gray side no matter what I did to it....I'm convinced there are some different hues of cladding that came out of the factory.....The R/R only slightly darkened my cladding. Rowhard had a pic of his bumper 1/2 done with R/R and it definitely darkened it.

My 1st coat of R/R was nice and low satin finish. When I applied the 2nd full coat (like 9 months later), it resulted in a higher shine finish, not a gloss finish, but definitely shinier...I didn't care for it but am stuck....luckily the sheen has "toned" down a bit since application in April.

Most importantly, if you're going to wheel it and EVER brush up against anything like bushes, I would NOT recommend R/R.....it chips off just like a ladies clear nail polish coating wherever it's struck by bushes.
I "think" the front bumper is ALSO chipping off due to road debris/abrasions from high speed/highway driving.....so I'm really disappointed with that aspect. I haven't yet attempted reapplying it to the front, but I think it'll blend very well. I'll post a pic of my front bumper to show how it's chipping/peeling off.
My single coating on the hood insert is holding up just fine, looks great.

303 protectant...I worship that stuff!! Get some!

Ldub
08/10/2010, 10:58 PM
Wow - that was close.:o:o

Dub nearly used that awful "cute" word. :smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

PK

Oy mate...missed er by only one...:uhohgray:

tom4bren
08/11/2010, 04:28 AM
Rick,

If I understand it correctly, Isuzu included the hood insert to cut down on glare. The intent was for it to be a matte or satin finish so that it eliminates reflections/sun-glint.

I had mine LineX'd about 2 years ago and I really like the result. The finish has a shine to it but the texture yields the same results on cutting down on glare.

Here's a pic of it right after it was done (still looks the same tho 2 years later).

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/14964/ppuser/2699

Tom

Luna X
08/11/2010, 08:02 AM
If you decide to paint the insert...

Make sure you wipe it down thoroughly with lacquer thinner. AmourAll is one of the biggest enemies against new paint... it contains silicone, which will cause "fish eyes". (looks as if the paint is scared, and won't adhere to that particular spot)

Due to the sun/fading, I suggest painting with a basecoat/clearcoat combination. Clear contains UV protection, so it won't fade in a year or less.
To get that satin look, you can add a flattening agent into the clearcoat. A little of that, more or less, will give you different levels of sheen... :yesgray:

Ldub
08/12/2010, 07:07 AM
Make sure you wipe it down thoroughly with lacquer thinner. AmourAll is one of the biggest enemies against new paint... it contains silicone, which will cause "fish eyes". (looks as if the paint is scared, and won't adhere to that particular spot)

Or just $and the pi$$ out of it...:laughing: Then wipe it down.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC01671.JPG

Luna X
08/12/2010, 09:15 AM
still, it's a good idea to try to get any/all AmourAll or wax off before sanding.

It is possible to actually push/work the contaniments into the panel being worked on.... just tryin' to promote safety :bwgy:

samneil2000
08/12/2010, 09:26 AM
I like the way mine turned out using trim paint after sanding.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17352

Knivx
08/14/2010, 02:16 PM

PK

Not on mine. I'm not even sure I need to push the little button on the shifter. I do out of habit though. (I know, I know, mine is messed up somehow)

RickOKC
08/14/2010, 05:28 PM
I "think" the front bumper is ALSO chipping off due to road debris/abrasions from high speed/highway driving.....so I'm really disappointed with that aspect. I haven't yet attempted reapplying it to the front, but I think it'll blend very well. I'll post a pic of my front bumper to show how it's chipping/peeling off.
My single coating on the hood insert is holding up just fine, looks great.

303 protectant...I worship that stuff!! Get some!

Hmmm, the R/R chipping concerns me. Now I want to try 303 on my cladding first. My weekend project has been cleaning off the Bondo Restore Black. I put on Mequiar's Natural Shine and it looks great, but I'd like to see what the 303 does after the Mequiar's gets washed off.

If I understand it correctly, Isuzu included the hood insert to cut down on glare. The intent was for it to be a matte or satin finish so that it eliminates reflections/sun-glint.
Hey, Tom... I thought I'd read that so "non-gloss" seemed right. That Line-X looks great!

If you decide to paint the insert...

Due to the sun/fading, I suggest painting with a basecoat/clearcoat combination. Clear contains UV protection, so it won't fade in a year or less.
To get that satin look, you can add a flattening agent into the clearcoat. A little of that, more or less, will give you different levels of sheen... :yesgray:
Thank you for all the great tips!

I like the way mine turned out using trim paint after sanding.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17352
I was so impressed with that write-up that I bookmarked that thread before I even bought my VX! :) That looks terrific!

VX KAT
08/14/2010, 10:52 PM
Front bumper where the Refinish/Restorer is chipping & peeling off. It's only on the front (and where my front fender "may" have kissed a bush or branch in Moab). I'm convinced it's from a combination of high speed debris from highway driving and constant dirt/debris on my dirt road. It just chips /peels off like ladies clear nail polish.

I'm pretty sure if I reapply it, the areas will blend pretty good, but if you're going to do ANY wheeling where your cladding will come in contact with anything or much highway driving....I can NOT recommend R/R.

I SOOOOO wish I'd known about 303 before I did the R/R. Based on everything I've soaked in that stuff, I think it will be fantastic on the cladding.
Especially because it doesn't leave any type of film or sticky residue so doesn't attract dirt. I've used it on my tires then almost immediately driven the dirt road, they get a faint amount of orange dirt on them, but no more than w/o R/R.

If anybody has a good suggestion for how to remove the R/R without melting or destroying the cladding....I'm all ears!

I'd prefer to reapply 303 every month or so, than deal with the R/R.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCF18861.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCF1881.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCF1885.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCF1879.JPG

RickOKC
11/18/2010, 07:06 AM
I now have a couple more questions as I get to know my VX better:

* Should there be some kind of a "stop" when moving the shift lever into Drive? I'm used to other vehicles where the shift lever would stop naturally in Drive when moving it from Park, but I often seem to slide right on past into 3rd. No biggie, of course, just curious.

* Wow, is it supposed to get to operating temperature so quickly? This VX warms up at least twice as fast as any other vehicle I can remember. It never gets hot - I'm just surprised. I hope it's normal because it's great to have warm air coming out of the vents so quickly on a cold day.

vt_maverick
11/18/2010, 07:19 AM
Can't say about the second one, but mine does the same on the shift straight through drive to 3rd. Doesn't happen much to me though, you get used to it over time.

RickOKC
11/18/2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks, Mav!

Yeah, part two is kinda vague. Lately it's been in the low 40s outside and the engine hits operating temperature in about 3/4 to 1 mile.

tom4bren
11/18/2010, 11:16 AM
Rick,

Mine warms up fast too. I can't explain it but never complain either.

Tom

RickOKC
11/18/2010, 12:03 PM
Good to hear! Thanks T4B!