PDA

View Full Version : Head unit install questions

DeafVX
08/30/2003, 08:52 AM
I will install a new mp3 head unit in a few days and have a few concerns.
I have read a lot of posts and would like some advice.
1. do I need to buy any adapters for the antennae?
2. How do you insulate unused wires on the harness
3. what is the best way to ground the new HU to the vx...elec tape to the chasis?
any tips and advice are always appreciated

Greg

Y33TREKker
08/30/2003, 12:36 PM
1) I think all antenna connectors are pretty much universal in nature, so I wouldn't think you'd need any adapters. Even if you do though, a place like Radio Shack would probably have anything you needed.
2)I'm not sure what you mean by unused wires, but if they are by themselves with only a metal connector on the end, you can usually just tape them off individually so that there will be no possibility of electrical shorts in the future.
3)Your ground wire is one of the most important considerations for electrical circuitry. There are usually a number of components up in the dash that are bolted to the chassis. Just loosen one of those bolts, and fasten your ground wire to it with an appropriately sized wire connector. It's best to find bare metal, so if the part of the chassis that you want to bolt your ground wire to is painted, scrape the paint off to get a good metal to metal ground connection. Check continuity to ground at that point by setting a voltmeter to measure resistance, and measure between that point and the negative post on your battery. The needle should read zero ohms for a good ground connection.

AnalogVX
08/30/2003, 05:44 PM
I had to get an antenna extension. The antenna lead was not long enough to reach to the antenna input on the head unit. No biggie... $6 at Best Buy.
I had a couple extra wires too from the head unit that I wasn't using like the Antenna remote "on"...for power antennas, and some wire that would automatically mute the radio if I had a car phone hooked up and was getting a call. I just coiled them up and taped them off out of the way.