PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for tow rig

Marlin
08/06/2010, 04:47 PM
Well, a few of you know that I am picking up a 93 trooper RS for the wife. It is currently having sliders built, diff drop, front locker install, all maintenance done and a new tranny. I made the mistake of letting her drive the VX last time I was at Uwharrie and now she wants her own:(

Problem is, I bought her a 2010 F150 for valentines day this year. The f150 can tow close to 10K lbs, but I don't think it will handle a goose neck dual car hauler with the VX and the RS on it. I will be selling my car hauler, which I will sorely miss. Electric jack, solar power, locking tongue box big enough to hold 4 35" tires, American Racing classic rims...it will be a sad day, I did a lot of work on that trailer. But I will be upgrading to a gooseneck 30 foot deck. That means I have to find an F250 or F350 diesel to tow it with. I know the Ford 6.0 diesel has its problems, so I am staying away from the 03-04 models. I will have to replace the EGR cooler with an upgraded tube style cooler. That should greatly minimize my problems. I have never owned a diesel, but a lot of the guys at work are big diesel gear heads. Stay tuned for pics of the new setup. I am a bit nervous about towing a setup like this. The truck is somewhere around 22-24', and the trailer should be another 30-35'. That means I will be rolling over 50 feet, could be closer to 60 feet!!!! I figure the two trucks and the trailer should be somewhere around 10-12k lbs. Should be interesting. Moab, here we come!!!! Might just bring the VX to Moab, depends how the whole thing feels on the road.
I am gonna miss the F150 6 speed tranny, and the Sync, but 55K for a 2010 F350 is just too much money for me. I can get an 05 Lariat with 40-60k miles on either a DRW 350 or 250 for around $24K. That is in our price range.

rowhard
08/06/2010, 09:02 PM
Chris, thought you were up for a deployment to Japan?? Is that still on??

Marlin
08/07/2010, 04:33 AM
Chris, thought you were up for a deployment to Japan?? Is that still on??

I am going to fight that one, I already did an overseas tour and even volunteered to stay an extra year since they were short handed. This next tour will be my last sea duty, so I will probably end up in Norfolk. Booo!!!!, but at least its better than San Diego.

tjh
08/07/2010, 07:54 AM
Ford 7.3 liter diesel .

Marlin
08/07/2010, 11:37 AM
Ford 7.3 liter diesel .

I know I know, but they are virtually impossible to find around here. At least not in a super crew with less than 150K miles.

I ended up getting a truck today, I got an 06 Lariat 250 supercrew with 86k miles. Still has 14K miles and 25 months left on factory drivetrain warranty. One owner, I dont think it has ever towed anything, it had a monster stereo in it. In great condition. I think I got a good deal. I got 28 mpg at 75mph!!!! 19 running around town, they let me have it all day. Curious to see what I get while towing. I expect somewhere around 10-11mpg. I will post up some pics later today.

kodiak
08/07/2010, 12:33 PM
Congrats! That's a nice Truck.:thumbup:

Marlin
08/07/2010, 01:17 PM
Congrats! That's a nice Truck.:thumbup:

Nice to see you back again, you disappeared for quite a while. Hopefully I will see you again next spring at Moab!!!

Luna X
08/07/2010, 02:04 PM
wow......... does every ROTM winner get a new tow-rig?!?! j/k :bwgy:

vt_maverick
08/07/2010, 02:41 PM
I am going to fight that one, I already did an overseas tour and even volunteered to stay an extra year since they were short handed. This next tour will be my last sea duty, so I will probably end up in Norfolk. Booo!!!!, but at least its better than San Diego.

But at least you'd be a lot closer to more VX owners. I'd love to get an offroad trip out to the OBX together, and right now your rig is the only one I can think of that might be able to handle some of the sound-side trails... ;)

wow......... does every ROTM winner get a new tow-rig?!?! j/k :bwgy:

If they do I need to call customer service to check on mine. :D

Marlin
08/07/2010, 05:21 PM
But at least you'd be a lot closer to more VX owners. I'd love to get an offroad trip out to the OBX together, and right now your rig is the only one I can think of that might be able to handle some of the sound-side trails... ;)

If they do I need to call customer serivce to check on mine. :D

August was the first month they gave away the tow rig:) Part of the stimulus plan or something.

At least norfolk is not too far from Uwharrie. Then we could meet up with the PA groups as well.

So now we have the truck, I have to find a dealer for a gooseneck. Probably something I can do myself. Found the parts on Ebay for 400ish for a nice one. Then I have to find a trailer...it never ends. My 2010 F150 seat covers fit the 06 in the back, so thats a plus, but no go on the front bucket seats:(

Marlin
08/08/2010, 10:30 AM
Here is the new truck, 6.0 turbo diesel is fun!! 325HP, 570ftlbs torque!!!!!!!!!! This thing is awesome.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1481.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1480.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1479.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1478.JPG

Cobrajet
08/08/2010, 10:38 AM
Needs a lift...bigger tires...modified front bumper...:yesy:

vt_maverick
08/08/2010, 11:10 AM
Nice steering wheel - take a look on eBay, I think you can get a shag carpet dash cover to match. Then all you need are a few ho's and you'd be a redneck pimp. ;)

Marlin
08/08/2010, 11:10 AM
Needs a lift...bigger tires...modified front bumper...:yesy:

No no no no, you are the devil. I made the wife promise to not let me modify it at all. The only thing I can do is some electrical stuff, hitch, and when the time comes, a Bulletproof EGR cooler or delete, not sure which. Other than that, nothing. Its just going to be a tow truck, occasional daily driver.

Marlin
08/08/2010, 12:10 PM
Nice steering wheel - take a look on eBay, I think you can get a shag carpet dash cover to match. Then all you need are a few ho's and you'd be a redneck pimp. ;)

I be jammin to some Kid Rock....we love that style of steering wheel wrap. It stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter. That is the gray one we had in the F150:)

kodiak
08/08/2010, 02:08 PM
Nice to see you back again, you disappeared for quite a while. Hopefully I will see you again next spring at Moab!!!

I wouldn't miss it for the world brother.

Marlin
08/21/2010, 05:32 PM
I went to change the oil in the F250 today, it holds 15 quarts of oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't even have a container big enough to do that. Took it Pepboys, 3 hours, 4 gallons of rotella and 90 bucks later, got it back. The oil filter is almost the same size as the VX's air filter:) I also found out that the air filter costs 90 bucks and is the size of our entire air box. Damn. Fuel filters aren't cheap either, but I got some off of ebay. Cool thing it has, it monitors air filter DP, and has two separate indicators for it. That turbo is a monster and sucks up some air. Still gotta replace wheel bearings, and the goose neck hitch goes in next week. Then its time for 35' trailer shopping. I looked at one today, its hard to appreciate how big that really is until you see it in person. Its like a semi trailer. I am looking for a solid flatbed, that way we can put the tents on it, once I have it setup, I can weld some tie downs so tent popping is a breeze(no room for jokes, this is serious business). Maybe even cut a few small holes for quick toilet access:p

Marlin
08/27/2010, 03:06 PM
GGGGRRRRRR!!!! Wife put 10 gallons of gas in the diesel truck today!!!! 400 bucks later, tank drained, filters changed, fuel rail flushed, towed to the shop, shes as good as new. Bet she never does it again. I am so angry.

Riff Raff
08/27/2010, 06:47 PM
GGGGRRRRRR!!!! I am so angry.

Well, that pretty much says it all. Glad you got it fixed.

I remember talking to a Lady once that was complaining that the engine in her car had fried because of lack of oil. I asked her if a bright red engine oil light on her dashboard had illuminated??? She replied........Now that you mention it; yes, there was a bright red indicator light glowing for a few minutes just before it happened. I asked her........Okaaaaaaaaaay, and how did that make you feel??? She replied.......I thought it was pretty.

'Nuff said.:noo:

RamAirZ
08/28/2010, 08:23 AM
Ya I had a girl that worked with me in California that was like that Riff. She knew I worked on cars so she comes up to me to ask "Would you know why my service engine soon light is on?" Well knowing she has a newer Toyota like my wife I asked if she had changed the oil since she's had it and reset that light (the service light comes on every 5K miles). She responds "you have to change the oil?" :_confused:

VX KAT
08/28/2010, 11:00 AM
Well, that pretty much says it all. Glad you got it fixed.

I remember talking to a Lady once that was complaining that the engine in her car had fried because of lack of oil. I asked her if a bright red engine oil light on her dashboard had illuminated??? She replied........Now that you mention it; yes, there was a bright red indicator light glowing for a few minutes just before it happened. I asked her........Okaaaaaaaaaay, and how did that make you feel??? She replied.......I thought it was pretty.

'Nuff said.:noo:

I've heard this one as a joke before....

Riff Raff
08/28/2010, 02:50 PM
Ya I had a girl that worked with me in California that was like that Riff. She knew I worked on cars so she comes up to me to ask "Would you know why my service engine soon light is on?" Well knowing she has a newer Toyota like my wife I asked if she had changed the oil since she's had it and reset that light (the service light comes on every 5K miles). She responds "you have to change the oil?" :_confused:

LOL, now that's funny as well. Just think about all of the various cases out there that we've never even heard about.

Back on MARLIN's story for a moment-- the pour spout on a Diesel pump is intentionally bigger so it can't fit into a normal car's Unleaded filler neck pipe (thereby preventing Diesel going into an Unleaded car). However, the smaller Unleaded pour spout will easily fit inside the bigger filler neck pipe of a Diesel vehicle (as was the case with MARLIN's wifey). I guess mankind can only help prevent gender mistakes to a certain degree.

Maybe the fuel industry should change the pour spout and filler neck pipe for Diesel to an "Hour Glass" (inverted diamond shape like on a Black Widow spider). Basically, some other distinct shape that a common round pipe won't match up fitting. Then the round Unleaded pour spout won't fit into the Hour Glass shaped filler neck of a Diesel vehicle; and vice versa, the Hour Glass shaped Diesel pour spout still won't fit into a round shaped filler neck of a Unleaded vehicle (as is currently the case). Brilliant!!!

:bgwb:

Marlin
08/28/2010, 03:01 PM
LOL, now that's funny as well. Just think about all of the various cases out there that we've never even heard about.

Back on MARLIN's story for a moment-- the pour spout on a Diesel pump is intentionally bigger so it can't fit into a normal car's Unleaded filler neck pipe (thereby preventing Diesel going into an Unleaded car). However, the smaller Unleaded pour spout will easily fit inside the bigger filler neck pipe of a Diesel vehicle (as was the case with MARLIN's wifey). I guess mankind can only help prevent gender mistakes to a certain degree.

Maybe the fuel industry should change the pour spout and filler neck pipe for Diesel to an "Hour Glass" (inverted diamond shape like on a Black Widow spider). Basically, some other distinct shape that a common round pipe won't match up fitting. Then the round Unleaded pour spout won't fit into the Hour Glass shaped filler neck of a Diesel vehicle; and vice versa, the Hour Glass shaped Diesel pour spout still won't fit into a round shaped filler neck of a Unleaded vehicle (as is currently the case). Brilliant!!!

As for your idea, I doubt it would work. Diesel engines run for a LONG LONG time, so you would have to wait 10-20 yrs before you could swap out all the pump nozzles. How about all you regular gas users swap your filler pipes to the hourglass shape.
:bgwb:

*sigh*, so I thought. The new VW diesels are using the standard gas size nozzle. Most of the stations around here are in the process of swapping all the nozzles out. I doubt she ever makes this mistake again. I took a good chunk of her paycheck to pay for the repairs, no way am I paying for that.
As for your idea, I doubt it would work. Diesel engines run for a LONG LONG time, so you would have to wait 10-20 yrs before you could swap out all the pump nozzles. How about all you regular gas users swap your filler pipes to the hourglass shape.

Marlin
08/28/2010, 03:12 PM
I forgot to mention, I was actually at the start of a golf tournament when she called me. I was yelling about not letting women ever drive. A lot of the guys at work have diesels, they promptly texted their wives to tell them, so they wouldn't feel so bad about their past mistakes, and to further prove to their significant others that women should not be allowed to drive trucks. LOL.
On a side note, I hate golf with all my heart and soul. Our team shot 4 over, Captain's Choice. Golf is the biggest waste of time, it teaches you no useful skills in any way shape or form. At least rock crawling will help us in the zombie revolution. I have this argument weekly at work with the other guys in the office.

VX KAT
08/28/2010, 04:00 PM
I guess mankind can only help prevent gender mistakes to a certain degree.

I was yelling about not letting women ever drive. A lot of the guys at work have diesels, they promptly texted their wives to tell them, so they wouldn't feel so bad about their past mistakes, and to further prove to their significant others that women should not be allowed to drive trucks. LOL.

:freek: oh boy......;eeko;;eeko; is it me, or did this thread just heat up to incendiary levels?
:flame2::flame::flame::argue::argue:

Marlin
08/28/2010, 04:12 PM
:freek: oh boy......;eeko;;eeko; is it me, or did this thread just heat up to incendiary levels?

Well, you can get upset all you want, but science is science, the wives of the diesel truck owners put the wrong fuel in their truck FAR more often than the husbands. I guess women just have more important things to worry about than the proper fuel, such as....I don't know, I can't think of anything right now. :rolleyes:

I am taking statistics starting this week, so I will post up some proof. LOL...

RamAirZ
08/28/2010, 10:03 PM
On a side note, I hate golf with all my heart and soul. Our team shot 4 over, Captain's Choice. Golf is the biggest waste of time, it teaches you no useful skills in any way shape or form. At least rock crawling will help us in the zombie revolution. I have this argument weekly at work with the other guys in the office.

Hey, it can also help during zombie revolution, you can launch projectiles at oncoming zombies from a distance :laugho: I actually like golf, but only if I'm playing with friends. Watching golf is about as boring as watching soccer. I played soccer in school but refuse to watch it. I think golf is nice to have a relaxing day, have a few drinks with your friends and get "away" sometimes. And on the lady driver's thing, how about we say MOST of them, not all. The percentage is high enough to say all but there are some that aren't bad. Like Liz Miles:

http://www.milesspeed.com/media/hotrod.htm

Ldub
08/29/2010, 12:56 AM

Take a breath...consider the source...let it go...:smilewink

Oommmmmmmm...Oommmmmmm...Oommmmmmmm...:yesgray:

VXR
08/29/2010, 02:38 AM
Take a breath...consider the source...let it go...:smilewink

Oommmmmmmm...Oommmmmmm...Oommmmmmmm...:yesgray:

that is what we all have to do with your posts:rollb2:

Riff Raff
08/29/2010, 03:19 AM

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: Classic!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: :laughing:

Marlin
08/29/2010, 05:08 AM
Hey, it can also help during zombie revolution, you can launch projectiles at oncoming zombies from a distance :laugho: I actually like golf, but only if I'm playing with friends. Watching golf is about as boring as watching soccer. I played soccer in school but refuse to watch it. I think golf is nice to have a relaxing day, have a few drinks with your friends and get "away" sometimes. And on the lady driver's thing, how about we say MOST of them, not all. The percentage is high enough to say all but there are some that aren't bad. Like Liz Miles:

http://www.milesspeed.com/media/hotrod.htm

Golf is way too expensive for it to be a relaxing day. Plus, we weren't allowed to have alcohol, although our caddies were dressed as various super heroes, and they brought lots of "weapons" to launch attacks against our enemy. This was a fund raiser golf tournament. The caddies were the newly selected "Chiefs". They go through a 6 week induction season during which we train them to become Chiefs. That is how I got my brake lines installed without me getting too dirty;) I sit and watch them get dirty and say things like "remember, righty tighty, lefty loosey". Or, "try not to get brake fluid everywhere", "don't scratch my truck". Training at its finest.

Ldub
08/29/2010, 05:19 AM

That's pretty sweet that you've become so important that you speak for everyone...two of these for you...:thumbup:.:thumbup:

Ascinder
08/29/2010, 07:24 AM
A buddy of mine at work just got a new Lariat diesel 6.0. He took it to a tuning shop to get the EGR delete done. The guy at the shop is "replacing a defective egr" as far as insurance is concerned, but somehow he's ending up with no egr and a free diesel tuner. Funny how that works ;)

RamAirZ
08/29/2010, 08:09 AM
Golf is way too expensive for it to be a relaxing day.

See that's why I don't usually play on the "big" courses. There were some nice ones by my house in Cali that were like $20 with a cart for 18 holes and there is one like that out here too that's pretty nice. And yeah the alcohol depends on course or you hide them in the cooler part of your golf bag :bwgy:

Marlin
08/29/2010, 08:41 AM
A buddy of mine at work just got a new Lariat diesel 6.0. He took it to a tuning shop to get the EGR delete done. The guy at the shop is "replacing a defective egr" as far as insurance is concerned, but somehow he's ending up with no egr and a free diesel tuner. Funny how that works ;)

Illegal everywhere, and yes, I have looked into it. My wife made a promise to not let me mod the truck....its a tow truck, thats it, at least that is what I keep telling myself, but almost 600ftlbs torque is hard to resist.

Ascinder
08/29/2010, 09:14 AM
Yes. yes it is. :D

RamAirZ
08/29/2010, 03:07 PM
How about that new duramax at over 700ft/lbs!

Marlin
09/20/2010, 11:30 AM
Well, the gooseneck is on hold, just got a call from the Ford dealership,turns out the whine that starts at 50 mph is from the rear differential. They said it needs an overhaul! They told me 1800 bucks, I said, not a chance. 850 for the parts, thats the bearings, seals, and the Limited slip clutch packs. I got on the FTE forum (been a member of that since 05), looks like it isn't uncommon for the diff bearing to go bad at 80-90k miles. I took it to another shop, 1100 out the door parts and all. I am ok with that, but that was trailer money, so I have to wait to get the trailer, hopefully in mid to late October. :(

*sigh, just got a call from the shop, the gears are damaged, replacing those makes the total around 1900. To go with a Jasper rear end, it was gonna be 3100, but I don't drive it enough to make it worth spending that much more. *

vt_maverick
09/20/2010, 01:21 PM
**** dude that sucks, I know you had your heart set on it, but at least you only have to wait a month right? Just in time for Uwharrie... :thumbup:

Marlin
09/20/2010, 02:04 PM
**** dude that sucks, I know you had your heart set on it, but at least you only have to wait a month right? Just in time for Uwharrie... :thumbup:

Most likely won't be till after Uwharrie, pending any damage to either of the Zus. We try to keep a little cash set aside for auto emergencies...enter rear diff job. Court offered to pay for part of the repair, very nice of her, I buy her a trail truck, spend 3 or 4k on parts for it, and she spots me some cash for fixing the tow rig:) What a loving wife. :heart::heart: