PDA

View Full Version : VX Horn

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/29/2003, 02:22 PM
I was wondering if I'm the only one who is not crazy about how the O.E.M. horn sounds on the VX?

Anybody here feel the same way? Has anyone changed theirs to an aftermarket one?

Just looking for some brainstorming here!

RalphDog
08/29/2003, 03:12 PM
Try this - http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=981

Heraclid
08/29/2003, 03:48 PM
My parents have a RV with a really loud air horn, and I would love to somehow incorporate something like that into the VX. That would absolutely scare the sh.. out of some of these morons. :-)

In these parts they used to (probably still do) sell one that roared like a big cat, maybe because we have the Jaguars here. Not sure that really has the desired effect, though. I want to freak 'em out.

AlaskaVX
08/29/2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Heraclid
My parents have a RV with a really loud air horn, and I would love to somehow incorporate something like that into the VX.
Check out Baxmans post about the "Supercharged horn"

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/30/2003, 07:12 AM
Thanks guys....

I always do a search on a topic before I post a thread...but, in
this case "horn" resulted in alot of nontopic information (tedious
to read through) which even included "headlight horns". I totally
missed the two threads you made mention of.

I am a bit confused about the IsuZOOM thread though, in that he made mention of the VX having two horns...a high note and a low
note. I see the horn in the image mounted to the right of the passenger-side headlight behind the grille...does this contain both the high and low note...or is this only the low note and there is still another high note horn mounted somewhere else?

Moncha
08/30/2003, 09:37 AM
Searching is the hardest part when looking for certain threads. It's tough to come up with the right terms so as to not be too specific or to gerneral.

Both horns are mounted by the passenger side headlight. One is just below and the other is just to the right. You can't miss them when you have the front facia cover off.

Triathlete
08/30/2003, 06:04 PM
While off roading with some fellow VXers and an H2 today I heard a great horn! The H2 had installed an additional horn he bought through an industrial/emergency catalog. It is the same horn used on the fire trucks . It definately got my attention! Not sure of the legality, but it roared!;eekr;

paultvx
08/31/2003, 12:20 AM
Search doesn't work all of the time. I tried to search for this thread (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1292) by 2 words from its subject, "louder horns" ... and got two threads that had nothing to do with it.

Anyway, this site (http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm) has several aftermarket horn kits, some look identical to the Hella kits. The site has sample sounds as well. Installation are all pretty much the same... easy, almost plug and play. If you can read, you can install it.

Tone
08/31/2003, 09:42 AM
I’m using a dual air horn setup from Hella wired to the stock horn button AND a 100watt police air horn (like they use to clear an intersection) - siren also has wail, yelp and hyper selections for offroad use...

Leah
08/31/2003, 07:39 PM
Tone, I could really use that setup being with the fire department. Where can I find the one you have? Also, do you know anything about connecting PIAA fog lights to a wigwag? Oh, and where can I find a wigwag motor?

Tone
08/31/2003, 08:56 PM
GT Distributor has wig wag controllers that will work on the headlights or any auxilliary lighting as well as sirens, strobes, etc - some items such as red/blue strobes and lights can only be sold to those with credentials.
http://www.gtdist.com/

I used a flat 100w speaker that is not listed in their catalog to fit behind the grill. Their standard one would fit facing down though. Lots of controller choices including ones with PA capability but I thought those might really get me in trouble....

Leah
09/01/2003, 12:27 AM
Thank you!!!