PDA

View Full Version : Need new crankshaft (troubleshoot instalation)

Marcus36
08/03/2010, 11:58 PM
OK so a few months ago I was driving and suddenly the VX shook and started making these weird metal banging noises, luckily I was up the hill from my mechanic so I put it in neutral and drove in to the garage.

A couple of days later I get a call from him and it turns out the crankshaft broke inside the engine, needless to say no luck over the internet, salvage yards, local machine shops etc. Finally I found one on ebay and ordered it last week, took it to the mechanic and this morning I get a call from him saying that maybe they gave me a 3.2L crank instead of the 3.5L needed, sent an email to the seller but no response yet, I thought it might be the crank position sensor so I bought one that will come in tomorrow, hopefully that will solve the problem.

Has anybody out there replaced a crank on a 3.5L before?, the engine is all put back toghether and all the sensors and hoses have been conected back again, but when you try to start the car it will simply not start, you can hear the starter working and the engine turning but it does not start, checked and recheked all connections and all seem to be OK....could it be the crank postion sensor?

If you can please help me out here as I do not have the money for a new engine and selling mine for parts is not an option.

Thanks

Gussie2000
08/04/2010, 07:38 AM
Did you put back together in proper firing order all valves ?

What about camshafts ? Was all camshafts correctly installed ?

If any of those components were incorrently installed you wouldn't be able to start up the VX

Marcus36
08/04/2010, 07:42 AM
According to the mechanic he did, he has rebuilt engines for me before but never and Isuzu one....is there a manual I can download so he can follow these instructions or just to confirm he is doing it right?

Also got a call from the seller of the crank I bought and looks like he does not stock 3.2L cranks so the one I have is the correct one....what else could it be?

Ldub
08/04/2010, 08:13 AM
According to the mechanic he did, he has rebuilt engines for me before but never and Isuzu one....is there a manual I can download so he can follow these instructions or just to confirm he is doing it right?

Also got a call from the seller of the crank I bought and looks like he does not stock 3.2L cranks so the one I have is the correct one....what else could it be?

Look in the "downloads" & "how to's" section on the right sidebar of the home page.

There are even Isuzu Corp videos on how to get it all timed right.

SlowPro48
08/04/2010, 10:24 AM
Yeah - I'd bet dollars to doughnuts he didn't get the cams lined up right. They are underdriven with respect to the sprocket so he can't just line up the marks and call it good. You've only got a 1 in 81 chance of getting it right if you do it that way.

Like ldub said - d/l the manual and check out the videos - and have your mechanic check out the TSB on this. It's bulletin number IB00-S005. Here's a paraphrased summary of what he needs to know from the TSB:

BULLETIN NUMBER: IB00-S005
ISSUE DATE: FEBRUARY 2000
3.5L V6 DOHC (6VE1) / 3.2L V6 DOHC (6VD1) ENGINES

TIMING BELT INSTALLATION

SERVICE INFORMATION
This information bulletin outlines the proper steps to index the camshafts with the crankshaft. In the event that camshaft timing has been disrupted, due to timing belt breakage or camshafts/crankshaft being rotated without a timing belt, this is important prior to timing belt installation. Due to the gear-ratio used by each camshaft pulley to drive the camshafts, engine timing cannot be indexed conventionally.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT: In the following procedures, the references to 9 or 12 O'clock positions are based on deck plane of the cylinder deck-to-cylinder head mating surface (as viewed from the front of the engine), and NOT RELATIVE TO THE SHOP FLOOR.

1. Time the camshafts on the odd numbered bank cylinders (passenger side), by rotating the odd bank camshaft sprocket until it "springs" to the 12 o'clock position. NOTE: It may require up to 9 revolutions. If the camshaft does not spring to the 12 0 'clock position, camshaft timing will be incorrect.

2. Time the camshafts on the even numbered bank cylinders (driver side), using the two step process.
(a)Rotate the even bank camshaft sprocket clock-wise until the cam sprocket "springs" to the 9 O'clock position.
(b)Rotate the even bank camshaft sprocket an additional 90 degrees (clockwise) to the 12 o'clock position and align the camshaft sprocket mark with the mark embossed on the cylinder head cover. Failure to perform this last step will result in incorrect valve timing. It is necessary to achieve the correct camshaft timing for the odd bank of cylinders.

3. Install the timing belt:

Make sure that sprocket timing marks are not disturbed during this operation.
After installing the timing belt, make sure that all the timing marks are in their proper position. It is very easy to mis-install the belt and be off a tooth, which could cause driveability problems.

With the sprocket marks in their proper position with respect to the marks on the cylinder head, install the timing belt, noting the direction of rotation. On the timing belt, there are series of green arrows indicating the direction of rotation. There are also two solid white lines and one dotted white line. Install the belt with the solid lines perfectly aligned with the marks on the camshaft sprocket.

Secure the belt to the camshaft sprockets using binder clamps. This will keep the belt in the proper tooth of the sprocket and will assist in holding the belt in place.

Align the dotted-white line of the timing belt with the white timing mark of the crank sprocket (180 degrees from TDC timing notch). Slip the belt into place and install the belt tensioner (remove retaining pin afterwards).

After installing timing belt make sure that all the timing marks are still in their proper position and have not been disturbed during the tensioning of the belt.

IMPORTANT: If you have resistance while rotating the engine by hand, do not continue. The valves may be contacting the pistons due to incorrect valve timing. Recheck the camshafts and crankshafts sprockets to be sure they are correctly aligned with their marks. Serious engine damage could occur if the belt is improperly installed.

Remove the binding clips.

Rotate crankshaft pulley a minimum of 2 complete turns (clockwise) and inspect if the timing marks have returned to the same position (# 2 Piston on TDC). If it has returned to the same position then proceed to the remaining reassembly procedure as outlined in the appropriate Workshop Manual. If there is resistance, please refer to the IMPORTANT note stated above.