PDA

View Full Version : Transmission fluid Leak from small hole

Troysaddress
07/30/2010, 10:53 AM
Transmission fluid leaking from small hole in hard plastic donut connecting the shaft to the transmission. When I pull the drive shaft back, transmission fluid shoots out. Is there a seal inside this donut or ?

SlowPro48
07/30/2010, 12:34 PM
There used to be!

Haha! Sorry couldn't resist.

Dude I've never heard of a "hard plastic donut connecting the shaft to the transmission" but then all I've ever done is change fluid and filter - never pulled the transmission or TOD so have no idea what the back end of the transmission looks like. It sounds like you might be describing the extension housing seal but I'm not sure. In that case, the "hard plastic donut" IS the seal. Yank it out and pound a new one in and put it all back together.

SlowPro48
07/30/2010, 12:40 PM
Doh! Just noticed you said "when I pull the DRIVE shaft back" so you're not even talking about the transmission, you're looking at the rear output shaft seal on the transfer case which is much, much better - you don't have to remove anything heavy!

Troysaddress
07/30/2010, 06:57 PM
Talked with Merlin, great source of info. Appears that the transfer case front seal connecting the front drive shaft. The donut is what connects the front shaft to the transfer case. Anyone replaced the transfer case front seal?

SlowPro48
07/30/2010, 11:13 PM
Ahhh yesss..... the other back.

Well replacing the front seal is same as back - pull old out, lube new and drive it in. Use seal puller or the old sheet metal screw trick to remove - just be careful not to gouge shaft. PVC pipe of proper diameter makes an adequate seal driver. Looks like you don't bottom it out against the bearing though. Just drive it below the lip 1mm + a hair and call it good. Here are the instructions from the shop manual:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/tod_front_output_seal.JPG