PDA

View Full Version : rear seat fold up

Bob Barker
07/28/2010, 09:38 PM
Maybe I'm denser than previously thought, but when I fold my back seats up to put my dogs in there, the thing doesn't lock into place... what am I missing or doing wrong? I had to get a bungee cord and run through the locking mechanism on the bottom of the seats to each side of the truck's O-Sh*t handles to keep it from smashing my poor puppies feet!

Here's the poor victims of the back seat problems I'm having. All the want is to ride with me to the park in safety!
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p127/jonbradley_photos/carprogress022.jpg

SlowPro48
07/28/2010, 09:53 PM
I had to get a bungee cord

You're just trying to redeem yourself now aren't you?

If there is a strap with a hook on the end attached to the back of your right side back seat then yes, you are denser than we previously thought. :bgwb:

Bob Barker
07/28/2010, 10:16 PM
Well I know I pull that strap to release the latch that holds the seats down to the floor, but when I flip them forward (resting on the back of the front seats) why won't they lock in place?

guess I'm just a big ole pile of dumb because this one has me scratching my head.

SlowPro48
07/28/2010, 10:26 PM
OK I guess it's not you then. There is supposed to be a strap attached to the back of your passenger seat - up near the top. It has a metal hook on the end. When the seats are folded forward, the backs of course face forward and this metal hook is inserted in the metal loop that is under the square carpet flap just aft of the console. You just hook it in there and give the end of the strap a good tug to tighten things up.

PK
07/28/2010, 10:33 PM
Can't leave a man scratching his head - he might end up hair-challenged like me.:p:bwgy:

Not sure about pulling the strap to release the seats, I just pull the latch lever.
But if there is a hook on the end of your strap, it has to engage with a bracket under your carpet to hold the seats up. There is a small flap in the carpet with velcro holding it closed normally.
If you have your front seats pushed back, the strap will not reach, so move the front seats forward and locate the bracket.
Pull your rear seats all the way forward, and then pull the bejessus outa the strap, hold your tongue just right, and it all fits together.

It is not easy.

Then you can slide your front seats back and they rest on the back seats folded forward.

See - its not that you are a dumbass - you just didn't hold your tongue right.

PK

deermagnet
07/28/2010, 11:11 PM
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx2/rseat.jpg
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx2/rrseat.jpg

Mark

Bob Barker
07/29/2010, 12:01 AM
Pictures speak a thousand words... I'll head outside in a few and see if I can locate this mystery hook.

Bob Barker
07/29/2010, 01:24 AM
So I got out to the back seat to take a look. Noticed a small hole in the back of the passenger side rear seat. Looks like there used to be a hook or strap there but it's gone now. Sounds to me like it's time to string together some zip ties!

crotchrocket
07/29/2010, 02:01 AM
take out the seats!! Or get one of those lazy dogs to hold it up :D

VXR
07/29/2010, 02:14 AM
My back seats are currently out but when they were in I hated the fact that if they were folded up and strapped I could not put my front seat back as normal:madb:

Bob Barker
07/29/2010, 02:22 AM
Ha! The white dog is really lazy and the other she's a crackhead! Neither of them could figure it out and would end up just putting a hole in a window or something stupid like that!

and as far as the back seat locked in place, I realized tonight that since the seat doesn't rotate as far forward as it would if the strap were there, then I can have the front seats back to normal positions with out the backseat getting in the way! The bungy strap has been rolled up and placed in a safe location inside the truck for when I need it next!

Luna X
07/29/2010, 08:16 AM
or, until you find another method of holding the seat in place flipped over, just completely recline the rear seat (they will lay flat) and let the mutts feel all spoiled-like on their next trip.....:winky:

vt_maverick
07/29/2010, 08:43 AM
or, until you find another method of holding the seat in place flipped over, just completely recline the rear seat (they will lay flat) and let the mutts feel all spoiled-like on their next trip.....:winky:

Then your seats would probably feel spoiled in the literal sense. ;)

PHO2GR4
07/29/2010, 09:50 AM
I took out my rear seats, since I NEVER used them. The extra space is fantastic. This is how the two-door VX SHOULD have been built.

Get a minivan for the kids. :)

circmand
07/29/2010, 09:55 AM
Now plenty of room. If they wanted back seats they should at least have made the doors longer.

Luna X
07/29/2010, 10:06 AM
I too believe the rear seats should just be taken out. Wanted to do that when we first bought the VX, but wifey said nooooo.... ;)

PHO2GR4
07/29/2010, 10:29 AM
Cool photo, btw. I used to have an '04 350Z touring roadster, but sold it last month to buy a vintage VW bus. Talk about a difference in handling...

Bob Barker
07/29/2010, 10:37 AM
If I were to let them lay flat the female's claws would make swiss cheese out of those seats with the quickness! I'd have to cover the seats with a rubber mat to keep them safe.

Luna X
07/29/2010, 11:04 AM
I understand your dilemma.

We have had our VX for just over a month and haven't taken our dogs out for a ride. I just haven't felt like cleaning up all the hair that is left behind after one trip.....

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/100_35021.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18432)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/100_3539.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18433)

Luna X
07/29/2010, 11:59 AM
Cool photo, btw. I used to have an '04 350Z touring roadster, but sold it last month to buy a vintage VW bus. Talk about a difference in handling...

Must have been difficult goin' from a Z to a Vdub bus with all of it's great "non-handling"... :winky:
At least you kept the VX which handles almost like a Z. (or, at least just as rough)

crotchrocket
07/29/2010, 12:40 PM
I too believe the rear seats should just be taken out. Wanted to do that when we first bought the VX, but wifey said nooooo.... ;)

I had the same trouble with the Mrs. The rear bench is only held in by 2 bolts (the hinge) which have a circlip style washer to stop them coming out. I just took them out (hammer) and drilled a hole in the end of each one for a split pin. Now the rear bench comes out in 5 minuts for camping etc

Luna X
07/29/2010, 12:59 PM
I had the same trouble with the Mrs. The rear bench is only held in by 2 bolts (the hinge) which have a circlip style washer to stop them coming out. I just took them out (hammer) and drilled a hole in the end of each one for a split pin. Now the rear bench comes out in 5 minuts for camping etc

THAT is a great idea!!:thumbup:
thanks for the tip.

or, I'll just take 'em out and leave 'em out... anybody who needs to sit back there can just sit yoga-style with the seat belt wrapped around themselves.

RamAirZ
07/29/2010, 10:53 PM
I let my doggies lay on the seats but they are puppies and didn't do any damage lol. I have had my passenger seat and rear seat out for about 2 weeks now (hauled a big item and then just didn't feel like putting them back in yet) and loved all the room, and for this O-town trip I left the backseat out since the kids aren't coming. I wish I could leave it out all the time but I have 2 little ones and they need a place to ride lol

Bob Barker
07/29/2010, 10:59 PM
I wonder if just one of the back seats will come out? Maybe I can leave the other in just in case and have room for the dogs next to the back seat rider.

RamAirZ
07/29/2010, 11:03 PM
Nope, the bottom seat is solid like a bench seat.

Bob Barker
07/29/2010, 11:07 PM
totally gay and ruined my entire weekend.

RamAirZ
07/29/2010, 11:08 PM
LOL but I'm coming, that should help a little :)

Bob Barker
07/30/2010, 12:18 AM
gHey

:laughing:

SlowPro48
07/30/2010, 01:07 PM
Nope, the bottom seat is solid like a bench seat.

Sawzall + AwlForAll = RoomForAll

Bob Barker
07/30/2010, 01:36 PM
I'd really like to figure out a way to get the back seat split into a 50/50 style. Cout probably be done if I tried really hard, but I'm lazy sometimes... a lot of times...

FlyingV77
07/30/2010, 08:29 PM
id love to take the back seat out, but then it wouldnt be the stripper bus anymore. had a 2003 Z was the 3rd or 4th person in TX to drive one off the lot. had to sell it when i went back to college. fun car i miss it.

Grif
07/30/2010, 08:47 PM
I'd really like to figure out a way to get the back seat split into a 50/50 style. Cout probably be done if I tried really hard, but I'm lazy sometimes... a lot of times...

On a similar, somewhat related note, I've toyed with the idea of pulling out my rear seats and installing just one additional Recaro seat in the rear. Perhaps behind the driver seat or maybe in the middle. I rarely carry more than two passengers so it would be practical and free up a lot of space. Mounting and legal restraints would be the hurdle I suppose.

Anyone ever see that kinda mod?

Bob Barker
07/31/2010, 06:13 AM
After I wrote that I thought about getting an extra front seat and putting it back there in place of the whole back seat. Maybe some day when I've got exra cash it'll be a project.

RamAirZ
07/31/2010, 08:29 AM
I think the front seat will be too tall, I can test fit it for ya tomorrow when I get back if you want.

Grif
07/31/2010, 02:18 PM
I think the front seat will be too tall, I can test fit it for ya tomorrow when I get back if you want.

Hrrrmmm.... your probably right, but if you could do a quick test fit, that would be awesome.

Triathlete
07/31/2010, 02:24 PM
With the rear seat situated dirrectly over the axle I would opt for a suspension seat (like those from PRP). They have a lower back for fittment and can be ordered with whatever color/material you want. And your passenger won't get beat to death with every bump in the road.:yesy:

Bulldoggie
07/31/2010, 10:35 PM
Zues posted this with pictures in his gallery

I have done his mod. I still have passengers.

Ace Hardware - (2) 5/16" x 2-3/4" zinc plated pins = $4.80 plus tax = quick release rear seat. I hope the pics posted alright. It's hard to see but the plastic sleeves are on the seat mounts holding the pins.

Bob Barker
08/01/2010, 04:25 AM
I will probably go get the parts to make some kind of quick release for the back seat. Seems the easiest thing to do rather then trying to build a frame to mount an aftermarket seat to the existing mount spot.

Marlin
08/01/2010, 01:22 PM
I will probably go get the parts to make some kind of quick release for the back seat. Seems the easiest thing to do rather then trying to build a frame to mount an aftermarket seat to the existing mount spot.

Umm, maybe I am missing something, just drill new holes, the original holes are clearly visible under the truck. What's a few more holes?

Bob Barker
08/01/2010, 01:25 PM
The aftermarket seats I bought for the SVO only had holes in the bottom of them to put bolts into, not something that I could mount to the floor. So I assumed all aftermarket seats that were designed for a "universal" fit would be the same. That you would bolt a frame to the bottom of it that would then attach to the floor of the car.

Besides the floor pans are most likely a pretty thin metal that it would be hard to tap threads into, and I might have to weld a nut to the underside of the truck. I don't have a welder or the patience for that.

Marlin
08/01/2010, 01:34 PM
Besides the floor pans are most likely a pretty thin metal that it would be hard to tap threads into, and I might have to weld a nut to the underside of the truck. I don't have a welder or the patience for that.

Our floor is pretty thick. If you don't want to weld, bolt a 1/8" thick plate under the floor pan, and then bolt the seats to that.
I might have to take a look at this mod...

Marlin
08/01/2010, 01:43 PM
I jsut found some sweet kids seats!! www.redart.com Go to the offroad seats, its called the superkid, by Beard. Wow! Pricey, but on another forum, they said it fits their 10 year old.

Marlin
08/01/2010, 01:46 PM
I think I may seriously get these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Race-Trim-Childs-Kids-Suspension-Seat-Off-Road-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255c2140e0QQitemZ16045 9473120QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_ 500wt_749

Bob Barker
08/01/2010, 02:17 PM
That's probably one of the cooles things a kid could have!

My uncle had an older Chevrolet short wide pickup that was decked out Baja style and in the bed he had 2 seats bolted down that faced backwards of the truck. Riding in the back of that was by far one of the most dangerous/fun things I've done! More dangerous than sky diving and more fun than drag racing!

Marlin
08/01/2010, 03:09 PM
The wife gave the go ahead for a pair. It hurts watching the boys sleep in the booster seats on the trail. Their little heads just bobbing around. I will probably go with the strapping to the seat, so we can move them between the trooper RS and the VX. Maybe I can fab a frame for the VX. We have decided that she is going to daily drive the RS, and we are selling the 2010 F150 and getting a 2004-2005 F250 diesel and a goose neck dual car hauler. I know its off topic, but it relates to the car seat, which in turn relates to folding up the rear seat:)

Ldub
08/02/2010, 12:59 AM
It hurts watching the boys sleep in the booster seats on the trail. Their little heads just bobbing around.

Dude...:smilewink

http://www.abledata.com/product_images/images/02A0349.jpg

Marlin
08/02/2010, 03:38 AM
Dude...:smilewink

http://www.abledata.com/product_images/images/02A0349.jpg

No way!!! If only the model child pictured wasn't a ginger....:rolleyes:

blacksambo
08/10/2010, 08:02 PM
Have you considered a dog crate for the rear? I removed the seats and installed a 42" collapsible NOZ-TO- NOZ model. The two dogs love and it saves them getting tossed about.

Bob Barker
08/11/2010, 05:39 PM
My dogs would not know how to act in a crate. Neither of them have ever been in a crate and one is slightly insane and I think it would ruin her.