PDA

View Full Version : Potential Mods - Are They Possible?

Maiorano
07/27/2010, 11:03 AM
Hey all, new member here.

I actually don't have a VX yet, but am very interested in getting one and then doing a couple medium modifications to it. Before I jumped in with both feet, I wanted to run some of my ideas by you guys to see if it's even possible, and maybe even get some new suggestions I may not have thought of.

I'll leave out the stuff I know is possible like paint, tint, roof rack, etc. The 2 below are the big ones I'm unsure about.

#1: I'd like to buy some big tires for it, probably like 38" tires on 15" rims. Of course this is going to require a little modification of the wheel wells and a little bit of lifting. Has anyone tried a similar modification? Any suggestions on lift kits? Any foreseeable problems on expanding the wheel wells? Etc.

#2: Adding a brush guard to the front with a bank of lights that sits in the grill. I've seen some other posts about this, so I'm sure it's possible. Any recommendation on the best place to get a brush guard? Easiest one to install? Mounting of the light switch inside? Other thoughts / experiences?

#2a: Also toyed with the idea of a winch on the front, but some of the other posts I've see make it sound like more of a hassle than it's worth. Is this correct?

Finally, any other suggestions about what to look and/or watch out for when looking to purchase a VX is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the info, and I'm excited at the possibility of getting into the VX world!

-Mike

nfpgasmask
07/27/2010, 11:42 AM
Hey Mike,

Welcome.

First off, to fit 38" tires, you will have to do a pretty big lift, which will create problems with the IFS, that is, unless you plan to do a SAS, which is not an easy task. 15" rims may also, depending on what you get, create a problem with fitment over the calipers.

There are brush guards that can be modded to fit the front of the VX. Not sure about the light setup for the front, but with some fabbing, anything can be done. My lights go up top. Same goes for a winch mount. Some have suceeded in burying a small winch behind the cladding. Some have fabbed big ugly bumpers that ruin the good looks of the VX front end. :_wtf:

You will find quickly that there is virtually no aftermarket for the VX, and if you want to do the mods you are talking about, you will have to get good with metal.

You will also find that many folks (myself included) abhor the idea of defacing the gorgeous lines of the rare VX to such an extreme extent. But either way, good luck! The VX is an awesome machine. :)

Bart

Marlin
07/27/2010, 11:50 AM
Hey all, new member here.

I actually don't have a VX yet, but am very interested in getting one and then doing a couple medium modifications to it. Before I jumped in with both feet, I wanted to run some of my ideas by you guys to see if it's even possible, and maybe even get some new suggestions I may not have thought of.

I'll leave out the stuff I know is possible like paint, tint, roof rack, etc. The 2 below are the big ones I'm unsure about.

#1: I'd like to buy some big tires for it, probably like 38" tires on 15" rims. Of course this is going to require a little modification of the wheel wells and a little bit of lifting. Has anyone tried a similar modification? Any suggestions on lift kits? Any foreseeable problems on expanding the wheel wells? Etc.

Completely possible, total waste of time unless you have the know how and the bucks. You would have to regear, MAJOR MAJOR trimming, scratch that, MAJOR MAJOR CUTTING. 35s are about the max you can squeeze under there. I run a tad over 34" and I am pushing it. LDUB squeezed in some 35s. I can't imagine the stress that the factory CVs and diffs would be under, as well as the tranny. Based on your other questions, I would guess you aren't a very experienced 4wd modifier or else you wouldn't be asking these questions. Having assumed that, there isn't a bolt on kit or anything to get what you are wanting. It will be all custom. There isn't much you can do on 38s that you can't do on 35s anyway. :smack:

#2: Adding a brush guard to the front with a bank of lights that sits in the grill. I've seen some other posts about this, so I'm sure it's possible. Ahny recommendation on the best place to get a brush guard? Easiest one to install? Mounting of the light switch inside? Other thoughts / experiences?

To my knowledge, there is no bolt on brush guard available anymore. The few pics you see, those are custom made, or from Tone, who sadly is no longer with us. Not sure what you would want a brush guard for if you are going to hard core wheel the truck anyway (38s are not DD tire:) ) A custom bumper might better fit what you are needing if you are really going to wheel it, that should cost you somewhere around 1K at a custom shop.

#2a: Also toyed with the idea of a winch on the front, but some of the other posts I've see make it sound like more of a hassle than it's worth. Is this correct?
A few folks have put winch mounts inside the front cladding. You would have to custom make it...no worries there, but the VX doesn't need a winch, its unstuckable:bgwb:

Finally, any other suggestions about what to look and/or watch out for when looking to purchase a VX is greatly appreciated.
Check out the thread that Kat started on buying/selling a VX. It should answer all your questions. http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18106&highlight=checklist
Thanks in advance for the info, and I'm excited at the possibility of getting into the VX world!
-Mike

I hope you find the truck you want!!! I may have sounded harsh above, but I was just pointing out the facts. The VX is not a Jeep, and parts are not abundant for doing mods like what you were wanting. There are no kits. You can get 3-4" lift for around 200 bucks. OME 912 or 919 springs, 140ish, 1 or 2" spacer and crank the torsion bars. That will allow 33s with virtually no trimming. Your performance will not drastically change. 34s require some more trimming and some moderate hammering in the front, and I rub every once in a while in the rear. Ldub can chime in on the 35s. If you can do your own fabrication work, you should have no problems doing what you want.
:luck:

Marlin
07/27/2010, 11:53 AM
Hey Mike,

There are brush guards that can be modded to fit the front of the VX. Not sure about the light setup for the front, but with some fabbing, anything can be done. My lights go up top. Same goes for a winch mount. Some have suceeded in burying a small winch behind the cladding. Some have fabbed big ugly bumpers that ruin the good looks of the VX front end. :_wtf:

Bart

I took that thing off, as far as I know, Orion and I are the only ones with bumpers, and mine is almost identical to his...so if you are calling mine ugly....LOL. I also scrapped the winch idea, thats some big bucks for something I haven't needed. Of course, I don't play in the mud too often.:rolleyes:

tom4bren
07/27/2010, 12:28 PM
Mike,

There was an owner in Richmond (Nerve Gas) that did a 4 inch suspension lift and a 3 inch body lift and ran 36" tires. He toasted his CV joints in less than a month and never had 4WD again.

I have a guy that modifies the differential brackets to lower it 2.5" to recover some of the angle. That should help.

I run 15" rims on mine but with a large offset so I don't have any interference issues with the calipers.

You'll have to face the facts: you probably won't be going over 33" tires and almost certainly not over 36".

Use the search function to find the lift & tire wiki thread. It has lotsa pix of different lift & tire combos.

nfpgasmask
07/27/2010, 12:59 PM
so if you are calling mine ugly....LOL.

:laughing: I wasn't referring to anyone....specific...:rolleyes: :D

Bart

Maiorano
07/27/2010, 04:23 PM
Ha great info guys! Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I definitely know where to come when I start getting myself in over my head.

I'm not totally sold on the 38" tires, so no worries there, and definitely don't want to bastardize the existing lines of the VX that much.

Basically my inspiration and general feel I was going for was the Top Gear Hilux that they took to the North Pole

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q197/cholocoy/image28.jpg

A list of mods that they did for that one is available on the website that did the mod, so that's where I got the idea of 38" tires. Essentially my biggest thing is I like the big tire look, but also want to keep the wheel wells matching the curvature of the tire, and I also like the look of the flared fenders.

Since the Hilux isn't even sold here, I've fallen into a mini-crush on the similar lines of the VX.

Anyway, although I may be a novice at this 4x4 thing, I figure I gotta start somewhere and have always enjoyed jumping in with both feet.

I'll keep you guys posted every step of the way, and appreciate all the help!

-M

Marlin
07/27/2010, 05:16 PM
With sufficient funding, anything is possible:)

Bob Barker
07/27/2010, 05:47 PM
Hell I'm from Arkansas. With enough duct tape and zip ties anything is possible.

Triathlete
07/27/2010, 06:00 PM
Now dats sum funnay chit rite thar!:bwgy:

tom4bren
07/28/2010, 09:21 AM
The WIKI I mentioned in post #5 is located here:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14685&highlight=wiki

Maiorano
07/28/2010, 01:09 PM
ah great link for tires. Thanks!

SlowPro48
07/28/2010, 09:46 PM
Bob you left out bungee cords. And you call yourself an Arkansan....

BigMeatVX
07/29/2010, 12:54 PM
Yes all those mods you want are relitivly easy...

I also bought my very first VX with the sole purpose in mind of cutting out the fenders and going with HUGE tires....Thats why I liked the cladding...its easy to hack up...:yesgray:

I ran 36" tires for years with no body lift..I have a 2" diff drop, OME 919 rears, OEM isuzu shocks..I removed all the plastic inner wheel liners and took a sledge hammer to the parts that were in the way.:p..I am running 35s currently, and think they are the limit for the CVs on Rocks...in mud, snow or loose terrain, 38s would be doable....:bwgy:

Its funny reading where others say this and that isint possible.:confused:...from behind there keyboard...:mado: some folks can type alot better than they can use a wrench or a welder I guess;)

My next set of tires will be at least 37s ....and I am completly upgrading the front IFS as well...much larger axles, CVs, diff, brakes, berrings...ect...Dana 44 stuff...

To fit my 37s, and allow maximum articulation, I will be "tubbing" out the rear fender wells...and in the front I will be eliminating the inner fender parts alltogether....

Any way....get the VX and do what you want to it....it is a great platform for modifacations....

And you DO NOT need some damn SAS

Marlin
07/29/2010, 02:18 PM
Its funny reading where others say this and that isint possible.:confused:...from behind there keyboard...:mado: some folks can type alot better than they can use a wrench or a welder I guess;)

Its funny that you mention that, cause I have done some of the things others said were not possible, but, if he had those welding/fab skills, he wouldn't have asked the questions that he did...as I said, with enough funding, anything is possible, and I agree about the SAS.
A few of the King Of The Hammer trucks run IFS. I would not be surprised if none of those trucks had less than $100K in em. (equivalent wrench time, not just parts)

Triathlete
07/29/2010, 02:37 PM
A few of the King Of The Hammer trucks run IFS. I would not be surprised if none of those trucks had less than $100K in em. (equivalent wrench time, not just parts)

All were no less than D60's and the axle shafts were in the 2inch diameter range!:yesy: But that race is a whole differant ballgame (I plan on being there to crew/spectate within the next few years...I have an open invite)

Like a lot said already though...everything is possible, but you need at least 1 of the following
mechanical/fab skill
or
$$$$cha-ching$$$$$$$$:bwgy:

Maiorano
07/30/2010, 10:54 AM
Ah you guys are great! Funny how being on this forum and seeing all you knowledgeable guys shooting info back and forth so quick has all but sold me on selling my G35 coupe and getting one of these before winter.

You're right I may be a newbie to a lot of the hardcore fabrication stuff, but everyone's gotta start somewhere! I'm more than willing and eager to dive in and really have a blast figuring out all this stuff (and scraping a few knuckles in the process).

I'll probably give my G35 one last major service and polish it up pretty for pictures here in the next few weeks, and keep you guys posted on what VX I might end up purchasing.

-M

BeeVenom
07/30/2010, 11:12 AM
I have 20's w/265-50 series Yokohama Spec-X tires and had to trim the front cladding just a tad. Still stock suspension height.

Marlin
07/30/2010, 01:28 PM
I have 20's w/265-50 series Yokohama Spec-X tires and had to trim the front cladding just a tad. Still stock suspension height.

Cool, but I think if he is gonna get into wheeling, he will probably go with 16" rim, the tires are WAY cheaper, and there is a much larger selection.

When you get ready to buy your VX, make sure you get the faster more powerful model....the Proton. (shameless plug, don't be jealous because I beat ya'll to it):dan_ban:

vt_maverick
07/31/2010, 12:20 PM
Ah you guys are great! Funny how being on this forum and seeing all you knowledgeable guys shooting info back and forth so quick has all but sold me on selling my G35 coupe and getting one of these before winter.

You're right I may be a newbie to a lot of the hardcore fabrication stuff, but everyone's gotta start somewhere! I'm more than willing and eager to dive in and really have a blast figuring out all this stuff (and scraping a few knuckles in the process).

I'll probably give my G35 one last major service and polish it up pretty for pictures here in the next few weeks, and keep you guys posted on what VX I might end up purchasing.

-M

Funny, that's exactly where I came from. Bought my 6MT off the showroom floor in '03, then had to sell it two years ago to pay my divorce attorney. :mady: Got a VX about 9 months before I sold it, and now it's my daily driver.

I do miss that sweet exhaust note and the thrill of driving a stick from time to time, but I have to say I get much more daily enjoyment from driving the VX. If you bought a G35 coupe you were probably all about the sports car looks and great handling - I don't think you'll be disappointed by the VX at all. :cool:

Oh and btw, those guys on the G35driver.com forum are pricks. This board is MUCH better.

pbkid
08/03/2010, 11:20 AM

-M

well, as you've seen throughout the bickering here everyone has a different view of the VX. you will encounter members that believe that the vehicle should stay completely stock and will perform just fine the way it was designed.
you will also encounter members who are willing to hack/cut/modify their vehicles to the craziest extremes. (such as LS1's and SAS)

basically, with the VX, you can keep it 'fairly' stock for a low cost ($150-500) and wheel 90% of the trails in Moab (the offroading capitol of the nation).
and it will remain a very reliable and comfortable vehicle.

you can also spend lots and lots and lots of $$$$$ on it and it will wheel anything you point it at (so will a honda civic if you put enough money into it)

so, what im trying to say is that if you like the VX, prepare to do lots of maintnence, but have great results. have one of the most unique vehicles on the road (less than 3K made) and have every single person you pass stare at you like an alien. but it isnt the cheapest vehicle made to maintain (but that doesnt scare you, you drive a G35).

and its great that your willing to step into a new realm of car entertainment. when i bought my vehicross i understood MUCH MUCH less about wheeling than you do now, and ive now been to moab 6 times ;) and i like to think i can wheel with the best of em (i have a list of completed trails a mile long)
pick up a VX for yourself and start messing around with it... its very addicting.

oh, lastly, take any harsh criticism with a grain of salt, sometimes people forget that they once knew nothing about wheeling. feel free to shoot me a message with any questions.

Triathlete
08/03/2010, 01:52 PM
KID! Where the hell you been? I thought we had lost you to the dark ('yota) side!:bwgy:

Marlin
08/03/2010, 02:12 PM
KID! Where the hell you been? I thought we had lost you to the dark ('yota) side!:bwgy:

x2

pbkid
08/04/2010, 10:21 AM
thanks for the concern guys.

i actually have been extremely busy and havent had access to the internet for almost 2 months now. first i was in san diego doing construction for half of may and all of june (but living in a 5th wheel out in a campground with no internet) and then when i got back we took off to arizona/california for vacation where we also have no internet access (playing on the colorado river for a month :drool2: )

sorry for scaring ya. dont worry im still around and dont plan on leaving anytime soon. you cant scare me off that easily :naughty: