PDA

View Full Version : Torn

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
07/24/2010, 12:55 PM
Am I crazy or does anyone else feel like this?
I love to go offroad in the vehicross. I have a nice fire road right behind my home that gets really muddy and puddley in the winter.
I have been hit with a lot of wear related repairs that are probably due to me rallying around.
Now that these cars are getting on a decade old, and parts are getting more rare and expensive, and with the economy being as rough as it is, is it time to think about retiring my VX from hardcore wheeling' and just baby it and keep it free from offroad stresses?
I will miss the TOD lights shooting up but I think I'd rather drive it another 10 years than sell it for parts.... Any thoughts?

nfpgasmask
07/24/2010, 12:59 PM
Agreed. 100%. My VX is going to be my garage queen going forward. If it goes offroad again, it will only be on that gorgeous terra cotta stone we all know and love as Moab slickrock.

:) Bart

Marlin
07/24/2010, 01:16 PM
I reluctantly admit that I agree with HWJ. Wheeling the VX reminds of owning a boat. There is always something broke, or something that needs maintenance.
On the other hand, I will not be retiring the VX. Instead we are adding another member to the fleet, a 93 Trooper RS. We will wheel both of them, but it will be primarily a trail truck. The VX will make the trip out to Kansas Rocks and Turtle Creek ORV this fall, as well as Moab 2011. The RS will most likely do local duty at Uwharrie.
There are a few VXs for sale in the 4K range, so hopefully we will see more enthusiasts pick them up and start real nice trail builds on em...:)

nfpgasmask
07/24/2010, 02:17 PM
Marlin, did you find a 93 RS? There was a nice looking black one for sale in Seattle a week ago. I wanted it but I already have another ZuZu addition coming soon. :eek: :evil:

Bart

Luna X
07/24/2010, 02:48 PM
After reading what you guys are sayin' I had to chuckle a little... (out loud even, and there is nobody else around)

A couple week back I opened a discussion about getting rid of my 4wd hi-lo gear shifter and it created all kinds of backlash!!! I don't plan on crawling my VX and I haven't been anywhere near the snow in years.

Anyway, I thought I'd share that again....

Marlin
07/24/2010, 04:03 PM
Marlin, did you find a 93 RS? There was a nice looking black one for sale in Seattle a week ago. I wanted it but I already have another ZuZu addition coming soon. :eek: :evil:

Bart

Yes I did, 126K, never been offroad, no rust. He is putting in aussie front locker, new tranny, sliders, all maintenance done (belts, water pump, fluids...), diff drop. When I get it, I will put 95+ trooper upper control arm and lower ball joints, OME 919 and 1" spacer, rancho shocks if needs new ones, and 34" TSLs. This will be my wife's trail truck.
I saw that gorgeous one in Washington. Here is a pic of the one I am getting:
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o53/joed4x4/93RSa.jpg

nfpgasmask
07/24/2010, 06:22 PM
That's awesome, Marlin. Love it. And I don't know why, but those are my favorite stock Isuzu rims. I like them more that the snowflakes that everyone likes. I would love to have both an 89 RS and a 93 RS. Those are my next two target Zus. Ahhh, 5 Isuzus....that would be awesome. But I think I am gonna hafta wait until I move again and have a 6 car garage or something. :rolleyes: (pipe dream, I know).

Bart

Riff Raff
07/24/2010, 06:25 PM
Am I crazy?
I love to go offroad in the vehicross. I have a nice fire road right behind my home that gets really muddy and puddley in the winter.
I have been hit with a lot of wear related repairs that are probably due to me rallying around, is it time to think about retiring my VX from hardcore wheeling' and just baby it and keep it free from offroad stresses?
I will miss the TOD lights shooting up.... Any thoughts?

HWJ--- Simply said; Yes, you are crazy and there is no cure for you. I remember painfully watching your bogus homemade video of how you absolutely abuse and attempt to destroy your poor VX on that wannabe rallycross fire road behind your house. That's not hardcore 4-wheeling, that is simply plain ignorance of how one shouldn't treat a VX. If you treat any vehicle (regardless of make/model) with the same abuse and destruction you subject your poor VX to, then any vehicle will require severe maintenance and repair. If you would only drive your poor VX with love, consideration and care, then you wouldn't be in the pickle you're in now. VX's are extremely agile offroad and will last a very long time by only using 4WL and driving slow with prudence while in an offroad environment. I pity ANY vehicle that comes within your ownership. Sad, sad, sad.:bgwb:

nfpgasmask
07/24/2010, 06:25 PM
After reading what you guys are sayin' I had to chuckle a little... (out loud even, and there is nobody else around)

A couple week back I opened a discussion about getting rid of my 4wd hi-lo gear shifter and it created all kinds of backlash!!! I don't plan on crawling my VX and I haven't been anywhere near the snow in years.

Anyway, I thought I'd share that again....

See, I will still take my VX offroad, it will just be on light trails and not very often. I plan to attend Moab 2012 for sure, with the VX of course, as long as there is still gas left to burn I will be there.

I think you met this backlash because the lot of us here enjoy the 4x4 aspects of our VXes. Its like having an Isuzu Impulse and wanting to lift it and add 4x4. :_wtf: :laughing:

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/24/2010, 06:58 PM
HWJ--- Simply said; Yes, you are crazy and there is no cure for you. I remember painfully watching your bogus homemade video of how you absolutely abuse and attempt to destroy your poor VX on that wannabe rallycross fire road behind your house. That's not hardcore 4-wheeling, that is simply plain ignorance of how one shouldn't treat a VX. If you treat any vehicle (regardless of make/model) with the same abuse and destruction you subject your poor VX to, then any vehicle will require severe maintenance and repair. If you would only drive your poor VX with love, consideration and care, then you wouldn't be in the pickle you're in now. VX's are extremely agile offroad and will last a very long time by only using 4WL and driving slow with prudence while in an offroad environment. I pity ANY vehicle that comes within your ownership. Sad, sad, sad.:bgwb:

Oh boy, here we go...buckle up folks. :laughing:

Bart

Bob Barker
07/24/2010, 07:12 PM
Well since I don't have any tires that will handle any kind of mud for right now then I just crawl over parking bumpers and curbs and grass around the area shopping centers and malls, and parking with half the truck hiked up on the grass at BK... maybe that doesn't count as wheeling but I see it lasting me a really long time before I break anything!

Ldub
07/24/2010, 08:55 PM
Oh boy, here we go...buckle up folks. :laughing:

Bart

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-popcorn.gif...

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
07/24/2010, 09:21 PM

Listen Prick,
I have watched a lot of YouTube videos of VX ers going off way harder than I ever have. My VX is running but my mechanic suggested that since he scraped a lot of mud out from under my car that if I wanted to keep driving it for a while I should stay on the pavement more. I love my car would never do anything that would harm it intentionally. I'm just wondering if the VX community had any thoughts about keeping em on the road by not taking them offroad. I wasn't trying to hear how you did not like my video, and the fact you even remember I made a video make me believe you must have a serious Internet man crush on me. I'm flattered but I don't swing that way.
I like to drive fast offroad, none of that ***** 1 mile an hour going over rocks crap. If you call that exciting wheeling then maybe you can paint your VX pink and get a rhinestone liscence plate frame that says " pwder puff" instead of riff raff

Grif
07/24/2010, 09:46 PM
HWJ,

First off, why even bother asking for ideas about putting yer VX out to pasture? Its your vehicle, do with it what you want. There are no ideas to be had. Use it like you please. You asked to be trollbait. Which brings me to:

RiffRaff,

You are usually a respected source of info here and not usually prone to troll, but my gawd that was the worst attack on a VX.info member I have ever seen. It was a pointless attack for a pointless reason. Worse, you turned it into a personal attack, not one just stating how YOU personally use your vehicle and why, but flaming others for not doing so too.

Honestly ppl, If I were a conspiracy nut, I'd say you both conspired to ignite a flame war, and you both are coming off like idiots.

For the sake of sanity and sanctity of the forum,

PLEASE KNOCK IT OFF!!

/end rant

Ldub
07/24/2010, 10:21 PM
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-popcorn.gif...

Listen Prick,
I have watched a lot of YouTube videos of VX ers going off way harder than I ever have. My VX is running but my mechanic suggested that since he scraped a lot of mud out from under my car that if I wanted to keep driving it for a while I should stay on the pavement more. I love my car would never do anything that would harm it intentionally. I'm just wondering if the VX community had any thoughts about keeping em on the road by not taking them offroad. I wasn't trying to hear how you did not like my video, and the fact you even remember I made a video make me believe you must have a serious Internet man crush on me. I'm flattered but I don't swing that way.
I like to drive fast offroad, none of that ***** 1 mile an hour going over rocks crap. If you call that exciting wheeling then maybe you can paint your VX pink and get a rhinestone liscence plate frame that says " pwder puff" instead of riff raff

:laughing:...:rolleyesg...:laughing:

don moore
07/24/2010, 10:50 PM
when i see a post from HWJ i got to smile alittle and read it ...Im sorry I cant help myself...but to you HWJ i just had my transmision replaced and ill be treading alittle bit lighter from now on... Im still smiling ...lol :work:

Ldub
07/25/2010, 12:50 AM

Listen Prick,

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/smilies/meow.gif...http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/smilies/troll3.jpg...http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/smilies/efpge.gif

Riff Raff
07/25/2010, 02:59 AM
when i see a post from HWJ i got to smile alittle and read it ...Im sorry I cant help myself...... Im still smiling ...lol :work:

x2. You're my hero, Don. Nuff' said.:laughing::badhorse::dan_ban::rotate:

Marlin
07/25/2010, 05:20 AM
This thread quickly headed downhill...
back to the topic. There aren't a whole lot of us that actually wheel their VX anyway, if more than once a year, yet I still see many folks having component failures. The way I figure it, if you take care of your body and live life safely, you might make it to 85, or you can have fun, take risks, and maybe make it to 75. Either way you die, might as well enjoy it. I feel the same with the VX. I do not purposely abuse the VX, but I do make her sweat, and I think its good for her:cool:
Having said that, it is now after 8am here, so I can run a grinder and cutting wheel without the HOA trying to fine me again, damn lazy neighbors, time to put some new holes in the old girl,and finish the bumper.
However you utilize your VX, please, please, please, dont let it sit in the garage for 5 yrs, get out and drive her, let people see the awesomeness that is the (in ominous voice) "ISUZU VEHICROSS!!!"

HWJ-you have your mechanic wash the mud off of your VX for you? That might be a problem. Your supposed to do that stuff on your own...sorry, couldn't help it:bgwb:

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
07/25/2010, 05:54 AM
[QUOTE}

HWJ-you have your mechanic wash the mud off of your VX for you? That might be a problem. Your supposed to do that stuff on your own...sorry, couldn't help it:bgwb:[/QUOTE]

my mechanic was replacing the fuel pump,probably due to age more than offroading, it had 120 thousand miles on it..

crotchrocket
07/25/2010, 06:23 AM
i AGREE!, using the VX as a daily drive and then having my fun with it on the weekends means an on going maintenance schedule of replacing bits i break. I love off roading it as everyone is always amazed at its capabilities but must admit i am considering a off road only vehicle. and keeping the VX road only. I dont feel bad about having an off road looking vehicle and not taking it off road anymore as its earnt its 'mud' wings

Marlin
07/25/2010, 08:54 AM
'mud' wings

Hmmm, reminds of a video that went viral a few years ago, something about a cup and some girls...:angel:

crotchrocket
07/25/2010, 09:34 AM
hahahahahaha, !!

VX KAT
07/25/2010, 11:32 AM
HWJ- I absolutely understand your dilemma ...I feel the same way! I see nothing wrong at all with you posting this and kinda asking for thoughts. That's what we do here....we chat about our VXs. We all know it's his own decision.

Hmmm, that rant sounded similar to another personal attack about 2 months ago, sounds like a pattern...that's really unfortunate....

Marlin drives his hard and breaks stuff and has tons of fun in the process, but nobody criticizes him for doing it.....I don't think Marlin is "crazy, destroying, abusing". :_shrug::_shrug: He's having FUN!!!

And let's all remember the words on crotchrocket's VX.... "One life. Live it." (however we wants to!) :thumbup:

Agree Grif, let's try to send this thread back up North!

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
07/25/2010, 01:08 PM
Ya know,
All I wanted to ask was a simple question, something I think a lot of people are thinking about. I don't want to stop enjoying the offroad perks of having a VX, but I don't want to be damaging a car that is getting older even if it looks like it was designed 10 years from now. I asked respectfully, and got some guy saying my videos suck and that he feels sorry for my cars and that there is no cure for me. A little more than I bargained for, but there is a crank in every neighborhood. Not being able to rally my VX is a lot like having a smoking hot lady who doesn't go down. Like what's the point?

circmand
07/25/2010, 04:37 PM
You ask a question in an open forum youre going to get answers you dont like. We have to rely on ourselves to police our writings. I myself have been accused of firing a shot across the bow a few times

However if your response is to escalate it or turn crude and call names or start talking about getting a BJ in a mixed forum with no regard to our female readers you arent any better.

vt_maverick
07/25/2010, 05:20 PM
I hear the sound of a thread closing...

Bob Barker
07/25/2010, 06:24 PM
And just what the crap is wrong with the South??!?!

bunch of damn yankees sounds like to me!

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
07/25/2010, 08:34 PM
I did not mean to show any disrespect to any of the ladies in here, wheather they go down or not. I was just making an analogy.So in all fairness, ladies, for me not being able to offroad in my vehicross is like having a really good looking boyfriend that doesn't go down. I hope this has remedied the situation and made my message clear to both sexes and not just one. Peace...

RamAirZ
07/25/2010, 10:06 PM
lol Well I'll refrain from any comments to be made on all the "clutter" in here, but to your original question, I'm considering the same thing. I'm building a "trail" rig that I can beat the snot out of and not be worried about sliding into a tree on a slick trail etc (no matter how "safe" you try to be, this can always happen, had 2 friends roll their trucks just by dropping a tire off in just the wrong spot). Figure if I do, it'll be alot easier getting a "new" fender for an amigo/rodeo/trooper than a Vehicross. Now I still plan on taking my VX on occasional trips but some of the harder, more likely to break body panels type stuff, I'll avoid in ol' Sylvia. I love cleaning it up and driving it around town, it's my daily driver and I couldn't imagine not driving it. I love wheeling it to but I know the first time I cave in a quarter panel (sorry Jo lol) I'd cry like a little girl.

don moore
07/27/2010, 10:19 AM
:laughgray:laughgray:laughgray:laughgray:laughgray :laughgray:laughgray:laughgray:laughgray:laughgray :laughgray:laughgray:laughgray:laughgray:laughgray :laughgray:laughgray:laughgray :work:

nfpgasmask
07/27/2010, 10:58 AM
Marlin, the problem with your idea, is that the 93 Trooper RS is even more rare than the VX!!! :laughing: But I hear ya.

:thumbup: Bart

Marlin
07/27/2010, 11:59 AM
Marlin, the problem with your idea, is that the 93 Trooper RS is even more rare than the VX!!! :laughing: But I hear ya.

:thumbup: Bart

Yep, but unfortunately, the only people that would care about it are other Zu enthusiasts, who will also understand the desire to use the truck what it was built for. She will be well cared for, I assure you. Plus, you can't be the only one besides Ramairz to have the monopoly on having a Zu duo...:)

RamAirZ
07/27/2010, 12:51 PM
LOL, The ambiguously Zu Duo!

nfpgasmask
07/27/2010, 12:53 PM
Yes, but what about a monopoly on a Zu Trio? :naughty:

Bart

Marlin
07/27/2010, 02:36 PM
Yes, but what about a monopoly on a Zu Trio? :naughty:

Bart

That sir, I am ok with. You haven't made ZU moab for awhile. And IIRC, you aren't coming in 2011? I have been looking forward to meeting you in person for quite some time...pah to Japan, I have been there lots of times, you arent missing much (j/k, Japan was awesome!!!!!) Moab is still mo better.

nfpgasmask
07/27/2010, 02:51 PM
That sir, I am ok with. You haven't made ZU moab for awhile. And IIRC, you aren't coming in 2011? I have been looking forward to meeting you in person for quite some time...pah to Japan, I have been there lots of times, you arent missing much (j/k, Japan was awesome!!!!!) Moab is still mo better.

:D Not sure about 2011 yet. The wife just won a trip to Mexico, so i will be taking some days off for that. I also have a wedding to attend in FL so that will kill a few more days. So its kinda up in the air still. Of course, I would love to. I have definitely plans to return in 2012 before the universe implodes. :rotate:

Bart