PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on current realistic prices on the VXs

stangri
07/20/2010, 10:37 PM
So I gather most of you guys here look out for the VXs for sale and I'd very much like to get some feedback from you.

I've been contemplating getting a VX for a while now and was never closer to it than now. :) I'd like to get one with clear title/history and not much more than 100k miles on the odo in a sound mechanical condition (don't care about the radio or windows problems, but don't want any rust).

My expectations that I can find one on the west coast (or maybe AZ) for $5k-$7k, however most of the VXs I've seen for sale outside this forum either had major mechanical issues or accidents in history, even at higher price.

Do you think it's realistic to find a decent car in that price range?

I found my current car on CL in California and been mainly looking at CL for the VX as well. Any pointers to other places it makes sense to check for the cars in that price range (looks like autotrader and ebay attracts sellers of the more expensive cars) will be appreciated.

VX KAT
07/20/2010, 10:52 PM
I've been following them for over a year, and most that do sell on ebay ARE in the $5k - $8k sell price. There's been a $13k+ just last month and a $15,000 close to a year ago, but can't recall many others up that high. A few $8k here and there.

Try this site mash, it searches CL, ebay and Kijijji, all at once. There's another combo search one that also does autotrader etc....I'll look that one up.
http://www2.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cp&itm=isuzu+vehicross&loc=&fil=&ys=1999&ye=2001&ps=&pe=&pgs=100&submit=++++go++++

Ldub
07/20/2010, 10:52 PM
So I gather most of you guys here look out for the VXs for sale and I'd very much like to get some feedback from you.

I've been contemplating getting a VX for a while now and was never closer to it than now. :) I'd like to get one with clear title/history and not much more than 100k miles on the odo in a sound mechanical condition (don't care about the radio or windows problems, but don't want any rust).

My expectations that I can find one on the west coast (or maybe AZ) for $5k-$7k, however most of the VXs I've seen for sale outside this forum either had major mechanical issues or accidents in history, even at higher price.

Do you think it's realistic to find a decent car in that price range?

I found my current car on CL in California and been mainly looking at CL for the VX as well. Any pointers to other places it makes sense to check for the cars in that price range (looks like autotrader and ebay attracts sellers of the more expensive cars) will be appreciated.

Keep your eyes peeled on the forums...:yesgray:

There are more than a few members here who regularly post when another VX hits the market.
It's rare when there is a VX for sale that someone around here hasn't posted about.

Take your time, "the one" will show up eventually...:yesgray:

Welcome to the forums...:luck:

RamAirZ
07/20/2010, 10:57 PM
I found mine just browsing craigslist looking for another Rodeo. Got her for $4K with 130K miles but in good shape, has it's little nit picky stuff here and there (mine has a sunroof and the sunroof door carpet is loose and the headliner is dirty, the stupid spare tire cover screws, stuff like that) but nothing major at all. You'll find the right one!

vt_maverick
07/21/2010, 07:06 AM
Keep in mind there's a big difference between asking price and final sales price with most of these VX's, and unlike on eBay, you don't know what a CL-listed VX actually sold for. Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of dealerships now use CL as a storefront, so their prices will be greatly inflated to allow negotiating room.

As others have said, be patient and watch the forum closely as we usually try to help new buyers out.

mdwyer
07/21/2010, 08:25 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of dealerships now use CL as a storefront, so their prices will be greatly inflated to allow negotiating room.

...or, to allow them to take you for as much money as they possibly can, if you're too excited and stupid to negotiate as I was... :(

Bob Barker
07/21/2010, 08:37 AM
I bought mine from a forum member. They usually seem to be the most genuine about any issues with their trucks and noone seems to be out to make a ton of money off of an uninformed buyer. Besides, they know that other members on here will call them out for an overpriced truck or one with a history of issues!

RamAirZ
07/21/2010, 09:03 AM
Which one did you get? Not the one from Memphis I assume now

stangri
07/21/2010, 01:05 PM
VX KAT -- thank you, I knew you possessed some hidden knowledge you've used on your quest to find roof rack. :)

Bob -- I totally agree, I would have preferred to buy a truck from a forum member, however none seem to be selling on the west coast.

To everyone else who has replied -- thank you very much, your replies and warm welcomes proved I'm on the right forum. :)

WormGod
07/22/2010, 07:01 AM
A year or so ago I was offered $20k CASH for mine, FWIW. Might change the equation a bit if you counted that. ;)

No joke, an older Russian man and his wife I ran into at a local Starbucks. We had a nice little conversation and he always wanted one. Wanted to take it back to Russia with him. He talked about it as if it were a numbers-matching, aluminum body, 427 Cobra or something.

Good luck in your search.

stangri
07/22/2010, 09:56 AM
You mean non-sequent bills in a briefcase cash-like cash? :) This couple wasn't among the ones recently on the news, was it? :)

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :)

VX KAT
07/22/2010, 10:13 AM
A year or so ago I was offered $20k CASH for mine, FWIW. Might change the equation a bit if you counted that. ;)

No joke, an older Russian man and his wife I ran into at a local Starbucks. We had a nice little conversation and he always wanted one. Wanted to take it back to Russia with him. He talked about it as if it were a numbers-matching, aluminum body, 427 Cobra or something.

Wow, seems like our Russian friends have a cash printing machine somewhere....bought Vehigaz's and exported it there just for the supercharger, and a couple other similar instances, now this story....I'm jealous! But really skews our value estimates!

samneil2000
07/22/2010, 11:52 AM
And you didn't take them up on it? I'd sell it and walk home nekked in the snow for that kind of money. I could find another one easily and still have plenty to boot.

Scott Harness
07/22/2010, 12:32 PM
And you didn't take them up on it? I'd sell it and walk home nekked in the snow for that kind of money. I could find another one easily and still have plenty to boot.

What he said!!!

Bob Barker
07/22/2010, 08:26 PM
Shoot is there some kind of russian ebay I can advertise on???? I would sell mine and buy a new one with plenty of cash left over!

stangri
07/22/2010, 08:49 PM
Crap, now all the good cars will be picked up by the VX experts and I'll be left without one! Shouldn't have started the thread! :(

WormGod
07/23/2010, 07:10 AM
Meh, maybe if I had need for $20k at the time. C'mon, I'm a rockstar. I'm loaded! I wipe my arse with.... wait.... dreaming again.

Seriously, I have had a few offers in my VX's lifetime but that one was the most generous. Whether the money was printed or not, I will never know. I just know, I kept it cause I think it's worth FAR more than that (especially if someone else is willing to offer that much). ;)

Who knows, 10 years for now, I might get an offer for $50k. :yeso: