PDA

View Full Version : How do you kill power to the CD changer?

vt_maverick
07/18/2010, 08:45 AM
Well it finally happened... my CD changer went kaput. I'm not going to have time to remove it and do the cubby swap option for awhile, and the clicking noise on start-up is driving me CRAZY. Anybody know how to unplug just the changer (not the head unit)? Looks to me like pulling a fuse will kill the whole dash.

Ideas?

brainwashed
07/18/2010, 08:53 AM
Well it finally happened... my CD changer went kaput. I'm not going to have time to remove it and do the cubby swap option for awhile, and the clicking noise on start-up is driving me CRAZY. Anybody know how to unplug just the changer (not the head unit)? Looks to me like pulling a fuse will kill the whole dash.

Ideas?
well you'd have to take the head unit out and unplug it from there.

also when i first read the title to this thread i thought it said "how do you kill the cd changer". that was the one thing i HATED about mine. i went through 3 of them before i just gave up on the last one and tore it apart to get my cds back.

vt_maverick
07/18/2010, 08:58 AM
Lol... I'll see if I can't take the dash apart next weekend (if I can wait that long). Have to search for a "how-to" on the site...

Luna X
07/18/2010, 09:07 AM
Lol... I'll see if I can't take the dash apart next weekend (if I can wait that long). Have to search for a "how-to" on the site...

The changer comes out with just a couple screws after gently taking the bezel off. Then there is only one plug to disconnect. You won't have to touch the head unit.
Then, a cubby will install with the same screws you took out for the changer.

vt_maverick
07/18/2010, 03:01 PM
The changer comes out with just a couple screws after gently taking the bezel off. Then there is only one plug to disconnect. You won't have to touch the head unit.
Then, a cubby will install with the same screws you took out for the changer.

So do you have to take the entire dash cover off, or just the lower piece around the lighter, ashtray, and changer. Got ideas on how to do that?

Ldub
07/18/2010, 08:49 PM
So do you have to take the entire dash cover off, or just the lower piece around the lighter, ashtray, and changer. Got ideas on how to do that?

Remove ashtray - gently pull bezel straight out.

Held on by spring clips.

vt_maverick
11/06/2010, 09:05 AM
damn those Japanese and their small ******* hands. Picked up a CD changer for next to nothing from another member, and I'm in the process of swapping them now. Had to take off the dash below the steering wheel to see what I was trying to do with the plug, as well as get two hands in there to pull the plug apart on the old changer and push the plugs together on the new changer. Just turned the key, power is on, radio and changer see each other so looking good so far. Trying to dig my CDs out of the broken changer, I bet I've pulled at least 20 screws so far, and only now can I actually see the CDs. I'm beginning to consider just cutting it apart with my Dremel...

Bob Barker
11/07/2010, 10:23 AM
I vote dremel, and a torch if necessary!

vt_maverick
11/08/2010, 07:43 PM
Well I did finally get it apart Saturday, mostly by bending back some of the metal pieces. :) Unfortunately I used one of the newly-freed CDs to test the new player, and as luck would have it, the new-to-me player ate it. I just tossed the changer in the garbage and ordered a single-DIN cubby online. Hopefully this will motivate me to upgrade the stereo sooner rather than later.

RickOKC
11/09/2010, 05:40 AM
damn those Japanese and their small ******* hands.
But this is also why Sony products are so good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgTLx93vyrU&feature=related).

vt_maverick
11/09/2010, 05:53 AM
But this is also why Sony products are so good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgTLx93vyrU&feature=related).

Dude that's hilarious! I'll have to dig up some of the South Park episodes that relate to these stereotypes...