PDA

View Full Version : Tone Style Cargo box.

JAMAS
07/15/2010, 10:56 AM
I am going to see about getting a wood working buddy to make me up a Tone style cargo box.

I am thinking 2 boxes that meet in the middle (to form the complete shape of the tone box). there would be a hinge on the top and the boxes would be able to fold on top of each other for leaning a seat back or forward. Perhaps even a latch and handle to latch the 2 boxes together for easy carrying....

So 2 questions.....

1. does anyone have any plans or measurements from the real Tone box?
2. Is anyone else interested in one?

tomdietrying
07/15/2010, 11:48 AM
I PMed you.
Peace.
Tom

WormGod
07/16/2010, 06:55 AM
I actually have one cluttering up my garage. But it was customized to into a sub box. Would sell it to ya but that does not seem to be your application for it. County bulk trash pick up tomorrow morning. Guess where it's going.

JAMAS
07/16/2010, 07:13 AM
I actually have one cluttering up my garage. But it was customized to into a sub box. Would sell it to ya but that does not seem to be your application for it. County bulk trash pick up tomorrow morning. Guess where it's going.

wait wait wait wait......

I want it.....

lets talk

MSHardeman
07/16/2010, 07:52 AM
Ditto...don't toss it. I've been trying to come up with a sub box for behind the rear seat, and wanted it to be similar to Tone's box. If Jamas is a no I might take it depending on shipping.

vt_maverick
07/16/2010, 08:10 AM
I bought mine from John Eaton who had customized it for a sub box as well. Didn't impact the ability to use it as a storage box - all he did was cut a hole in the back of the box for the wires to pass through. He may have had some internal mounting brackets to hold the sub, but if he did they were removed when I bought it.

Definitely don't trash it, if nothing else it can be measured for replication.

JAMAS
07/16/2010, 10:46 AM
I sent a PM and an E-mail.

I want it to either use directly, or modify into what I am thinking about

JAMAS
07/17/2010, 12:50 PM
Hit me back wormgod. Hopefully I didn't miss out

WormGod
07/19/2010, 06:58 AM
PM sent. It's toast.

JAMAS
08/30/2010, 01:48 PM
Update:

My project is nearing completion.

Features include:

-Easy access cubby for 2 quarts of oil (this was ingenious, if I do say so myself)

-2 fully enclosed boxes for easy transportation of gear in and out of VX
--Having the 2 boxes was to allow for setting one on top of the other so I can recline a seat if needed (loading a rear facing carseat passenger).
--Also allows for easier loading and unloading of the cargo boxes.

-appearance of the Tone box when both doors are shut.

-strong construction
--Pre-drilled and screwed together.
-- Since I did an easily removable, 2 piece box, there was no reason to leave the left side open for access to the jack.

I am very pleased with the final (well, almost final) results and am going to begin offering them if folks are interested.

I need to do the finishing work and then I will take photos and post a "For Sale" thread about them.

vt_maverick
08/30/2010, 02:10 PM
Sounds cool, look forward to pics! :thumbup:

tom4bren
08/30/2010, 02:29 PM
Hit me back wormgod. Hopefully I didn't miss out

OMG. James couldn't get the gen-u-ine Tone product. The world just isn't right anymore!!!

:evil:BWAAHAAHAA:evil:

Ldub
08/31/2010, 12:53 AM
-strong construction
--Pre-drilled and screwed together.

Sounds great, anxiously awaiting pics...:yesgray:

FWIW, if you're at a point where it's easily disassembled, wood glue will add a whole nuther level of strength to the build...:smack:

JAMAS
08/31/2010, 05:33 AM
Sounds great, anxiously awaiting pics...:yesgray:

FWIW, if you're at a point where it's easily disassembled, wood glue will add a whole nuther level of strength to the build...:smack:

I forgots......I did that too.

JAMAS
08/31/2010, 05:35 AM
OMG. Jamas couldn't get the gen-u-ine Tone product. The world just isn't right anymore!!!

:evil:BWAAHAAHAA:evil:

Ha!

Its not just Tone products I go for.....its Tone products that used to be yours....

btw, your step bars look real good on my rig..:):):)

tom4bren
08/31/2010, 08:26 AM
I have no response to that.

vt_maverick
08/31/2010, 09:50 AM
T/J... Tom, I wonder what percentage of your 4000+ posts are "I have no response to that." ;)

tom4bren
08/31/2010, 10:00 AM
It boggles the mind.

Sorta my trademark now ... like:

BossMan
Mr. Gorilly Feets
Mr. Scarey Hook
Marlinstein
Rickshaw's reflection in his disgustingly clean diff cover
JAMAS has more of my aftermarket Tone parts than I do
KAT's rack
PK's duck
Handito's age
Riff Raff the tire SME

The list goes on & on.

It may be getting a little old tho - I think I'll start coming up with a FEW responses.

etlsport
05/05/2011, 06:24 AM
looking at the photos of your box installed in Kats VX, got to thinking, ever considered building a box that would fill in the foot well in the rear of the VX for those without backseats?

vt_maverick
05/05/2011, 06:36 AM
^ Now that would be cool - sign me up! Only problem is that it would block my rear seat cupholder, but then again you could put recesses in the box like Sue did.

tom4bren
05/05/2011, 06:44 AM
& build in a TE Cooler to keep it cold???

etlsport
05/05/2011, 07:00 AM
^ Now that would be cool - sign me up! Only problem is that it would block my rear seat cupholder, but then again you could put recesses in the box like Sue did.

I was thinking along those lines with a cupholder built in, and possibly removeable panels that would allow the seats to recline if needed. I had considered making one myself, but never really got to it. Jamas seems to be much better with carpentry anyway :thumbup:

JAMAS
05/05/2011, 07:44 AM
All great ideas and all do-able.

I will get started on some mockups as time permits.

The following is going to be incorporated in my design.

Height (optional, depending on needs):
1)Same height as back seat bottoms (where your butt sits)
2)Flush-ish with the floor (for no seats)

Depth: (from front to back)
-as deep as the driver seat all the way back and moderately reclined.
--The passenger box will be the same size, but will have more of a gap if you installed seat extenders.

storage:
2 boxes with hinge lids
boxes will open outward (ie: the driver side box will open so you can access from the driver door and vice versa for the passenger side)
1 box will consume the passenger side well. The other will consume the driver side as well as the middle. The middle portion will contain nothing but cup holders. probably 2. Hopefully I can find some sizing rubber or something so you can put most sized cups in there.

Cut outs:
There will be a cut out gap in the middle so that the arm rest can open sufficiently.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

vt_maverick
05/05/2011, 07:49 AM
Removable lids to allow larger objects, like grocery bags.

JAMAS
05/05/2011, 08:07 AM
Removable lids to allow larger objects, like grocery bags.

Ahh....good one. I misread that one in your PM

vt_maverick
05/05/2011, 08:09 AM
No worries. You know on second thought it might not be that big a deal so long as the lids open completely vertical. But my problem will be that they'll then be higher than the seat bottoms, where the little girl can kick them closed. :)

JAMAS
05/05/2011, 08:14 AM
No worries. You know on second thought it might not be that big a deal so long as the lids open completely vertical. But my problem will be that they'll then be higher than the seat bottoms, where the little girl can kick them closed. :)

Soooooo.......incorporate foot restraints ???;):rotate:

vt_maverick
05/05/2011, 08:23 AM
Lol... no way, should we go absolutely ballistic if she couldn't move her legs. Maybe just a 9V battery hooked to a steel plate. ;)

RabidPony
07/15/2011, 06:23 PM
Bringing this back from the dead. What about large boxes for when the rear seat is out that would sit flush with your rear cargo box and go up to the back of the front seats, incorporating the ideas you have for your new front box?

VX KAT
07/15/2011, 07:50 PM
All great ideas and all do-able.

I will get started on some mockups as time permits.

The following is going to be incorporated in my design.

Height (optional, depending on needs):
1)Same height as back seat bottoms (where your butt sits)
2)Flush-ish with the floor (for no seats)

Depth: (from front to back)
-as deep as the driver seat all the way back and moderately reclined.
--The passenger box will be the same size, but will have more of a gap if you installed seat extenders.

storage:
2 boxes with hinge lids
boxes will open outward (ie: the driver side box will open so you can access from the driver door and vice versa for the passenger side)
1 box will consume the passenger side well. The other will consume the driver side as well as the middle. The middle portion will contain nothing but cup holders. probably 2. Hopefully I can find some sizing rubber or something so you can put most sized cups in there.

Cut outs:
There will be a cut out gap in the middle so that the arm rest can open sufficiently.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Bringing this back from the dead. What about large boxes for when the rear seat is out that would sit flush with your rear cargo box and go up to the back of the front seats, incorporating the ideas you have for your new front box?

So, Rabid, you're saying these new cargo boxes:
~ would be up flush to the original JAMAS cargo boxes,
~ and open "outward", i.e. opening hinge would be down the middle, with each lid opening like "wings".....
~ and JAMAS says they'd be accessible by flipping seat forward.....

If I got that right: Here's some stuff to think about:

~I think you'd find you'd really want access to them from the back, especially because they'd be larger than the JAMAS I boxes, and items stored there may well be larger....drill, saw, wood, etc...??

~And it would be really difficult to reach OVER the JAMAS I boxes, to get to these.

~You'd be using all wrong body mechanics if you tried to lift anything heavy out of those boxes, while reaching over the first boxes.

~ You really wouldn't be able to easily access the opening lid, IF iT'S as currently described. Now I'm only 5'5", and most all of you are way taller than me, but I had a hard time reaching OVER my boxes, to get to cargo I put there. For my Moab trip....it was a lawn chair, tool bag, 2 plastic tote bins about 30" x 24", a soft sided cooler and roof rails (:laugho:) Most of that stuff was NOT accessible via the door and moving seat forward.

~ If the boxes did NOT go all the way to the back boxes, and mainly were as Eric mentioned, for behind the fronts seat area, it would be more manageable IMHO.

Just my 2 cents after using the JAMAS I boxes.

BTW- I wouldn't change a thing on mine, they're great!

blacksambo
07/16/2011, 09:05 AM
VX KAT, Didn't you acquire a JDM rear box a while back? What was that like?

VX KAT
07/16/2011, 09:13 AM
VX KAT, Didn't you acquire a JDM rear box a while back? What was that like?

No, it turned out to be so expensive to ship from the UK (it was crotchrocket's), that I could buy a JAMAS box for just a little more.

RabidPony
07/16/2011, 01:16 PM
I know what you're saying about the boxes being harder to get into, being that large. I just carry a lot of gear in my VX for work and it agitates me to no end to have it rolling around in the back. Both of my front seats have the tilt levers on them plus I have step bars, so getting in them wouldn't be an issue. I know it's not an ideal design for all but for me it would be ideal.

VX KAT
07/16/2011, 01:25 PM
I know what you're saying about the boxes being harder to get into, being that large. I just carry a lot of gear in my VX for work and it agitates me to no end to have it rolling around in the back. Both of my front seats have the tilt levers on them plus I have step bars, so getting in them wouldn't be an issue. I know it's not an ideal design for all but for me it would be ideal.

makes sense. Maybe the 2 new boxes could be positioned front and rear, instead of side to side? That way the "rear" box could have a lid opening to the back of the truck, and the "front" box could have the lid open just the opposite, toward the front seats??? Wouldn't that make it easier to access your stuff? Put the bigger/heavier stuff in the rear box so you don't have to try to drag it/squeeze it out from behind the seat?

Maybe even make the 2 side by side boxes have 4 lids, instead of just 2. 2 would open to the back, 2 to the front. that way you could access stuff from behind EITHER seat.

RabidPony
07/16/2011, 02:18 PM
Hm, the idea of having the two boxes front and rear sounds like an interesting idea. I need to find some cheap/free CAD software so I can tinker with designs.

blacksambo
07/16/2011, 04:51 PM
No, it turned out to be so expensive to ship from the UK (it was crotchrocket's), that I could buy a JAMAS box for just a little more.

Thanx. Was it stock or modified and do you still think he has it?

VX KAT
07/16/2011, 05:09 PM
Thanx. Was it stock or modified and do you still think he has it?

It was the JDM stock version as far as I know, but it was really thrashed, oil-stained and chipped up, he said he was throwing it out.

blacksambo
07/16/2011, 05:27 PM
Sorry. Thanks for the info.

JAMAS
07/17/2011, 07:27 AM
Anything is possible. Well, almost anything. However, shipping cost might be a tad on the expensive side. I do recall seeing THIS (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showfull.php?photo=1952)storage solution.

VX KAT
07/17/2011, 10:17 AM
Anything is possible. Well, almost anything. However, shipping cost might be a tad on the expensive side. I do recall seeing THIS (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showfull.php?photo=1952)storage solution.

Wow, looks like a great option, never saw that pic. Wonder what goes down the center? deadspace? or could you put long skinny things there, accessible from either end??

RabidPony
07/17/2011, 06:45 PM
Oh, I like that. Who made that one?

MSHardeman
07/18/2011, 08:20 AM
I believe that that is Grandpa Bob's Dragon. I think his screen name was GreenDragon, but I can't really remember. Billy know so hopefully he will chime in.

Never met the man, but I heard that he was quite a character and went EVERYWHERE in his VX. From what I've heard he is the one and only person who has driven the Rubicon trail in a VX, and I also believe that he was one of the first (if not THE first) VX to go up and down Hell's Gate out in Moab. I think he carried everything that he needed to rebuild a VX out on the trail and used that cargo box as a base for his mattress so he could sleep in the VX.

JAMAS
07/18/2011, 09:25 AM
and used that cargo box as a base for his mattress so he could sleep in the VX.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showfull.php?photo=1953

vt_maverick
07/18/2011, 10:08 AM
Looks like you could put a scuba tank down the middle - doesn't Dub have that set-up?