PDA

View Full Version : Hood scoop

I_Wanna_Retire
08/28/2003, 07:52 AM
Anybody working on a hood scoop? I know this was started long ago, but I have not seen anything lately. A hood scoop would be sweet, er, wait, my kids tell me a 47 year old guy should not say 'sweet'.

WormGod
08/28/2003, 08:00 AM
n1 was working with a company that was gonna prototype one, but he fell ill and has been recovering for some time time. A few others have already gone through with it and tried some things. Maybe some of them can ring in on this.

I_Wanna_Retire
09/23/2003, 06:07 AM
Any new status on this? Anybody out there working on a hood scoop mod?

nyc #1 ironman
09/23/2003, 08:30 AM
I believe Rickster has a cool hood scoop. I can't speak for him as far as prototyping for anyone but you can ask. His is really cool...

Heraclid
09/23/2003, 04:27 PM
I thought Rickster's was a contoured insert he had fabricated but not a scoop (?). Green Dragon has an extractor-type scoop. I believe Joe_Black is mulling over working out some sort of extractor as well but hasn't progressed beyond toying with the idea in his head yet.

Joe_Black
09/23/2003, 05:48 PM
I think Albert just brought over one or two prototypes of the CF hood insert before he was injured and fell ill.

I'm communicating with a few fab shops about an extraction-style insert that will either be totally CF or just a modified stock insert with the vents and a layer of CF for appearance. I'm looking at this primarily for myself but have the ultimate aim of sharing the info and perhaps working a group deal with whatever shop I choose to do the work. I've got a lot going on so this is not a priority for me but I will post info as the project progresses as I'm looking at getting other items fabbed or coated as well for the VX.

Ideally Albert will get back on the scene soon, but I doubt we'll see him for a few months due to the extent of his injuries and illness. The deal he had worked would probably be less $$$, but considering he was injured during his international move then got SARS means he probably hasn't even had a chance to settle in and get stuff like internet access and other amenities even set up yet.

valenki
09/23/2003, 06:16 PM
What if we take the stock insert specifications and sizes and then make the insert with a scoop.
How about all vehixers pitch inn with design ideas and then we search together for the cheapest manufacturer. What if could manufacture it in Russia? That would be cheaper; And than we would ship it to the US but it would have to be of considerable quantity I guess.
What do you guys think?

Joe_Black
09/23/2003, 08:10 PM
A lot of things depend on what you really want. Do you want complete CF, just the look, a functional extraction vent, just some kinda ricer scoop, glossy finish or matte etc.? Producing a good CF part is expensive as it requires not only a mold but oven-curing as well. I don't mind just getting existing components such as the insert coated with a layer of CF as they're all non-structural. I'd love to have good cured pre-preg CF parts, but that's just not realistic for the quantities that would actually sell.

Albert had a line on a shop in China that did decent work for a fair price. But with shipping I think the insert he was working on was still like $500+ to the west coast. I'm pretty certain that's going to be hard to beat domestically for a complete CF part and will be getting close to that price for just coating existing parts. If I can get a local shop to do work for a reasonable price I may acquire a set of parts to get coated and then sell on a exchange basis. In other words, you'd send me your good parts in exchange for a set of CF coated parts. Depending on shipping choices this minimizes your down-time and I've got a fresh set to get coated for the next buyer.

In any case, I'm doing something for myself and hopefully everyone can benefit from it.

ron
09/24/2003, 11:39 AM
I, too, will be getting into the hood insert thing. I've already got the spare insert on hand ready to be dropped off at a local shop that I've been corresponding with for a while. My goal is to get a carbon-fiber version from them and another version with a built-in heat extractor as well. I'm hoping to be able to have a part made simulateously with my other new parts pending.

Ideally, would've taken on the fabrication of the carbon-fiber version insert myself. But, since I've got so much going on these days, I figured I'll have someone else get dirtied up for a change allowing me to focus on the development of future parts for the VX. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress of that part once I drop it off.

I_Wanna_Retire
09/24/2003, 01:18 PM
Cool! Depending on final look, I'll take two (maybe three).

Dallas4u
09/24/2003, 01:52 PM
Definitely something I'd be interested in!

Heraclid
09/24/2003, 02:45 PM
I'm definitely in, since I spent a few hours last night just trying to design one I liked on paper. :-)

WyrreJ
09/24/2003, 06:47 PM
I'm in for the heat extractor version if it isn't garish.

johnnyapollo
09/24/2003, 07:55 PM
Hey Ron,

I'm in.

-- John

vx69
09/24/2003, 08:18 PM
hey ron I am deffinately in!

Jolly Roger VX'er
09/24/2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by WyrreJ
I'm in for the heat extractor version if it isn't garish.

I'd be interested in it too....

BaM*BaM
09/25/2003, 10:20 AM
Great to see VehicrossConcepts back in the creating side of things. Ron has always made the best body stuff for the VX ever made.

VX-KING
09/25/2003, 01:38 PM
Me Too Ron, Im in

ALL THE WAY :dance:

SPAZZ
09/25/2003, 06:44 PM
Count me ini too Ron...I'd have to sell plasma for it.........but would be well worth the headaches!!!

WormGod
09/26/2003, 08:27 AM
Ron, you build it, and they will come. ;)

I am all for it too. Induction or extraction. I really dug the idea albert had fpr the Evo style insert, although the WRX STi one would be interesting too.

MrCrowley
09/26/2003, 10:41 AM
What about using a premade scoop like the WRX STI one? It is big, but not overly ricer or monstrous looking. It should be well suited for a number of functional projects, too.

AlaskaVX
09/26/2003, 10:44 AM
I would love to see the WRX scoop on a VX! But since I live in AK I don't think its a great idea for an induction scoop, theres so much crap/slush/rain/leaves/rocks flying around and I don't want it in the engine bay. But I am all for a hood extraction vent, with the S/C things get pretty hot.

Ron, have you put any more thought towards the shark tooth grill?

IsuZOOM
09/26/2003, 11:42 AM
I might be interested in a hood scoop, assuming it doesn't swallow road debris and lowers underhood temps.

Joe_Black
09/26/2003, 01:31 PM
A hood scoop on the VX won't do squat for you except give you someplace new to clean and knock an MPG or two off. Extraction is the way to go with the aerodynamics we have. Extra cooling and minimal drag!

IsuZOOM
09/26/2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Joe_Black
A hood scoop on the VX won't do squat for you except give you someplace new to clean and knock an MPG or two off. I'm skeptical it would even go that far, but if it did, that's a lot more than "squat"! That would mean (at today's $1.60 gas prices) saving $150 / year.

Dallas4u
09/26/2003, 02:14 PM
I think he meant lessen the amount of mileage because of the restriction in aerodynamics... and stuff.

*Whew... better?

Joe_Black
09/26/2003, 02:40 PM
Thanks Adam... I think... wait... now I'm confused!:rollg2: LOL!

MORE DRAG + REDUCED MPG = MORE $$$ AT PUMP

Joe_Black
09/26/2003, 03:05 PM
Just found a great pic of a hood with extraction vents. This is what I'm working on but there will be two vents located near the rear of the insert where the low-pressure area is (which will also allow for better underhood flow of air around the engine)...

http://www.carbontrix.com/images/inhood.JPG

WyrreJ
09/26/2003, 08:44 PM
Would adding a bump for a little more clearance over the SC before the extraction vents do anything to improve underhood airflow/cooling around the SC?

Joe_Black
09/27/2003, 02:43 PM
The top of the engine is so close to the underside of the hood that you would ideally want a vent on either side, that way you have a less obstructed path for airflow. More air = more cooling.

Plus, this approach would minimize cutting into the metal portion of the hood beneath the insert.

WyrreJ
10/12/2003, 08:45 AM
So looking around at some recent hood scoop shots, it got me to thinking. Style-wise, I think I'd rather have vents or scoops that are sunk into the hood rather than ones protrude up above the line of the hood. I don't know what kind of difference it would make airflow-wise, but I just like the idea of leaving the profile of the hood as smooth and oem looking as possible.

Also, what about rain? Either during driving or just while parked outside. Would a raised scoop be bettter at keeping the water out versus a sunk one? Or do they normally have some sort of door you can close?

newthings
10/12/2003, 10:25 AM
If you pull off the sound insulation you will see the hood has a V shaped reinforcement from the back edge of the hood running forward to the point of the V. An open area exists in the center back suitable for a cut for the extraction scoop. True, it is blocked by the S/C, but only the hood skin would need to be cut. Dragon Bob did this. Bob? Comments?
Unfortunatly, this area becomes a high pressure point at speed. For low speed it should help alot.
Roy

Apostle
10/12/2003, 01:46 PM
Thought

looking at the pic of the two scoops (raisin bran??) what about two scoops or extractors going along the outter side of the hood insert?

as in front of hood to back of hood, one on either side

not good at paintshop or i would do a mock up of it.

sort of a scoop in the shape of the fangs

just realized, dont have paintshop anymore :)

so did them sort of with Paint. gotta love .bmp's

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=699&cat=500&thumb=1