PDA

View Full Version : What would you guys do

RamAirZ
07/13/2010, 09:29 PM
Ok, here's the deal. I have some 18" Borbet rims for sale and have had them for sale for some time now. Over 2 months ago a guy wanted to buy them and was pretty serious. He's in the air force and wasn't back in town yet from his deployment but was going to be back in about a week from our talks. He asked me to hold them for him because he was serious and I told him ok but I would prefer a deposit to do such. He said ok and asked me how much and I told him whatever he thought was fair and gave him my paypal addy. He sent me $110 and we scheduled to meet that weekend. Didn't hear from him for a few days and when the weekend got here I emailed him a few times trying to confirm our meeting, he said he still wanted to meet but might be a few days later because his plane didn't leave when it was supposed to supposedly. I waited about 4 days after the time he said he could meet again (the new day) and started asking him if he was in town yet, another week goes by and I start asking if he still wants them blah blah no reply. About 4 weeks or so after our meet date he says he's not gonna get them and now 62 days (checked paypal) from when he gave me the deposit, he's asking for it back and wanting to file disputes etc etc (he's past the 45 day paypal dispute window, not sure if he realizes that) and even tried to scare me with talking to legal counsel etc. I told him the deposit was just that, a deposit to hold the wheels to guarantee he showed up, he didn't, he loses his deposit. I missed out on a couple cash in hand buyers (including some members here) because I was holding them and now I STILL have them 2-3 months later. Should I tell him sorry do what you have to do, give him the deposit back (I don't think I should have to) or what? He trys to say since I didn't say non-refundable that it should be refundable, but to me, deposit and refundable don't go together :roll: I've never given a deposit and backed out and expected it back (just like a house with earnest money or breaking a lease on an apartment, etc etc). I just want some opinions on this. I think I was very reasonable and worked to his needs in the beginning, let him pick the deposit amount, the date for meet etc etc. I dunno...............

brainwashed
07/13/2010, 10:24 PM
i collect vinyl records and i had a similar situation like this happen to me about a year ago over some pretty big $$$ 7"s.
i never gave the dude his deposit back and after i dug up some dirt on him ripping people off he never harassed me again.
but yeah! a deposit is a deposit. it's his lose. not yours. dude shouldn't have messed around if he was just gonna back out.

circmand
07/13/2010, 10:26 PM
I say return minus fees etc. If he is just serving in the USA and just was lazy I say keep it

RamAirZ
07/14/2010, 04:24 AM
he is here in panama city, he was at another base in the USA and came over to the one here in town, he's here now.

vt_maverick
07/14/2010, 04:45 AM
I think you're certainly in the free to keep the money, but honestly I would just give it back since you haven't really incurred any expenses by waiting. If you already had a few cash-in-hand buyers it seems likely that they would still be interested, or that others would be in the future. So again, I think you could keep the money but it seems to me (and probably him) that since goods never exchanged hands you're just keeping the money because you can. Oh and WRT the legal issue, he may not have a leg to stand on, but that doesn't mean he can't make things a hassle for you. I'd just give it back and put him in the rear view mirror.

Btw, what email are you using? If it's not his AF email account, send me a PM with his full name and I'll get you his work email so you can harrass him there. Good thing with doing it there is that if it ever came to a JAG situation the evidence would be conveniently on the AF's network.

Good luck!

VX KAT
07/14/2010, 09:09 AM
Maybe consider splitting it, refund half, call the other half "lost opportunity" costs....might get him to go away.

And deep down, I still want these wheels! I'll pay ANYONE that can find the right caps big money!!!

RamAirZ
07/14/2010, 09:22 AM
Your right that I haven't incurred any expenses but I have had them taking up valuable space in my garage and having them so long has made me drop my price down, I dropped it more than he gave me for a deposit. He IS using his AF email account, here is something he recently sent:

"Sir, I understand your approach, but I was under the impression that the "deposit" was to hold the item for my return. I have record of the emails and none of them state a non-refundable deposit. That would be the only way you would be able to win that case. However I am willing to wait a till the 1st of August to receive payment due. I would much rather get this handled without filing a dispute with Paypal or with the Area Defense Council of Tyndall Air Force Base and my First Sergeant MSgt Sing. Thank You, for your quick response. Please let me know if August 1st is reasonable for you, and if sending the money via Paypal is suitable."

and another one:

This one is after I mentioned about deposits for holding an item for someone to buy is usually implied as non-refundable and I didn't think it had to be said and also asked what the defense council could possibly do (I think he said it with intent to try and scare me)

"Point one, understandings is one thing (this leads me to believe he understood initially it was non-refundable), what you can prove is another. I can prove that the term, "non-refundable" was not in the emails. We are dealing with an intended purchase not a lease contract for living. Point two, ADC will not do anything to you, but will assist me so I will have to keep them in the loop if there is a need to go downtown and have the assistance of an attorney. ADC is simply advocates for legal advice and issues that exceed my knowledge level. If you had not request the deposit you could have sold the wheels at anytime (he asked me to hold them for him and I said I would with a deposit). Also if you had of said that the deposit was non-refundable I would not have paid it. Paypal is a great payment method and I have prior experience with disputes and that's why I still use them for all my transactions(he must not know there is a 45 day max limit to file a dispute). If August 1st is too soon, I will accept half on the 1st and the remainder on the 15th of August."

I gave him the freedom to pick the deposit amount as well

RamAirZ
07/14/2010, 09:25 AM
This was my last reply:

"I requested the deposit because you said you wanted them and told me you were for sure coming to get them. I didn't know I had to say it was non-refundable as any deposit is usually that way. I'll have to see what I can figure out but you do what you have to do. I was very open to your needs when we first discussed this and even told you just to give me what you thought was fair. I didn't request any amount from you and even kept checking in with you because you had given me the deposit and I did not want to sell them out from under you. I didn't hear from you for awhile after the time you said you still wanted to meet but your plane was delayed or something. I thought I was being very considerate and easy to work with."

ZubrAZ
07/14/2010, 10:38 AM
teach the kid a business lesson and keep the money. he's accentuating the fact that there was no verbiage "non-refundable," neither there was a "refundable." Seems, he did not mention any extreme reasons for the money, he was not very communicative after giving the deposit, and simply changed his minds.

and dont be afraid of legal proceedings. most likely, it will not happen. even if it will, the common sense is on your side.

Bob Barker
07/14/2010, 10:45 AM
I was about to say just to refund it since he's a member of the US military, and he could have gotten orders out of his control that may have played a roll in him needing the deposit back, but after reading some of the emails and his threatening tone I'd say no on the refund. Remember it can become a hassle for you if he wants to pursue this legally but it's also a bigger hassle for him having to start all the legal work and prove his point, and over such a small amount of money.

And I would continue to try to sell him the rims! Tell him this can all be solved if he would just come through with his end of the deal and pay the remaining amount owed on the rims and you will deliver. Then he can do what he wants with them... A deal was agreed on and he is the one backing out of it. I don't see how you can be guilty of anything.

ZubrAZ
07/14/2010, 10:52 AM
maybe my common sense does not go along with legal officers, but here is the similar story: http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58880

RamAirZ
07/14/2010, 10:58 AM
Ya I never said non-refundable as I thought it was understood and I can see how some courts would award it back to him plus I would have to cover the court costs if I lost. Honestly I don't think any lawyer would tell him to go after it, you'll spend more money in gas taking care of all this crap. I dunno....

JHarris1385
07/14/2010, 11:52 AM
Only refund if you can get full price out of them. Otherwise teach him a lesson that you just don't wait around that long with a deposit. Pay in full and then they can rest in your garage untill then.

RamAirZ
07/14/2010, 11:59 AM
I'm wondering if I should email him and mention that or wait to hear back from him.

Scott Larson
07/14/2010, 12:45 PM
Maybe the question really comes down to, in the end, is it worth the worry and hassle? To me, I'd rather sleep easy and not feel somehow like I got one over on somebody... not saying that you did! None of this sounds malicious on either one of your parts.

RamAirZ
07/14/2010, 12:48 PM
I just don't have the money to give him right now, that's what irritates me, I held onto it in my paypal account for awhile and then needed it on our trip. I'm gonna offer half or wait until the wheels sell

Scott Larson
07/14/2010, 12:59 PM
That sounds like your answer then, tell him when (and if) the wheels sell, you'll refund his deposit. Nobody loses...Just a thought.

Marlin
07/14/2010, 01:00 PM
Hmmm, as fellow military member, I would pull the string and talk to his Sgt. That is about the same as a Chief in the Navy. More than likely, his boss has no idea what is going on. If you were send him the emails, and talk to him, he would smack your buyer in the back of the head and tell him he learned a valuable lesson. That is how we do it in the Navy.:) Good luck either way, but is it really worth it over a hundred bucks, from either end? He is probably some lowly E2 or E3.
Their JAG can do nothing, they only offer advice, so no worries there. It would cost him more in legal fees and time than 100 bucks.
I think offering him half back is fair.

RamAirZ
07/14/2010, 01:09 PM
Ya that's what I think too. If I could get ahold of his Sgt I might do that but like you said, is it worth the $110? It's principle to me too, if I could just throw around deposits on stuff and get them back when I find something else (probably what actually happened) I would do that all day long, make sure I have something as a backup, but I don't work that way. If I'm putting money out for something and back out, I understand that I'm not gonna get that back unless the guy offers is back on his own, I would expect it.

vt_maverick
07/14/2010, 01:30 PM
Going through a messy divorce taught me that (1) you can never predict how stupid the law will be and (2) standing on principle is rarely worth it, either in terms of time or money. As much as I can feel your pain about not wanting to give the guy the impression that he "got away with one" because of a mildly threatening email, I still don't think it's worth it. I do not, however, think you should give it to him all at once. I say give him half now, then "disappear" for several weeks as he did with you. Definitely pay him the second half, but give it a month or two to "educate" him on how frustrating it can be when someone blows you off.

Marlin - Trust me when I say the AF is nowhere near the same as the Navy. "Please" and "thank you" are an expected part of the conversation between supervisor and subordinate - there's a reason we call it "corporate America."

Everyone - My wife was active duty AF, my grandfather was a Navy Master Chief, and a ton of my friends are in the different services. Serving one's country DOES NOT earn you a free pass for being a prick.

Ldub
07/14/2010, 01:36 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=is+a+deposit+to+hold+merchandise+refundable

:laughing:

Triathlete
07/14/2010, 01:49 PM
Dubs found a new toy:bwgy::laughy:

Not siding with either side...technically I think you have the right to keep the money...being prior military (the real one:bwgy:) I don't think that should way in on your decission (unless there was some unforseen military action...which it appears there wasn't)...BUT there is always karma!

RamAirZ
07/14/2010, 01:53 PM
Ya and Ldub, I used that already lol.

Bob Barker
07/14/2010, 02:00 PM
Which military is the real military?

*stirs pot*

vt_maverick
07/14/2010, 02:06 PM
I think it's more a question of which service is considered not "the real military." I think the AF and Coasties get that more than the rest. Of course the Marines do like to say that they appreciate the Navy, since they give them a lift to do the real fighting. ;)

Triathlete
07/14/2010, 02:14 PM
I used to hate those Navy taxi's!:bwgy:

***for all those of the non military be it known we all like to bust each others chops, they are all important....

....its just they all know the Marines are the best and they all secretively want to be one!:laughy::laughy::laughy:***

joshi
07/14/2010, 04:00 PM
You never told him that deposit is non-refundable .... You never told him that deposit is a refundable :) I don't think he can do anything to you via paypal .

Bob Barker
07/14/2010, 04:06 PM
In all honesty, I'd probably punch him in the face and steal his girl after I forced him, through intimidation, to buy the wheels... at a marked up rate.

but that's just me

Marlin
07/14/2010, 04:27 PM
Which military is the real military?

*stirs pot*

LOL, I just remember the Marines guarding our gates for us...they had nothing else to do. The Navy is also augmenting for Army and Marines in the Gulf, you will never see a Marine or Army clown sub in for a Sailor. As for the AF, they have the option to deploy, not really military as far as I am concerned.

(add some salt to that pot)

We just had a kid buy a car on Craigslist, he western unioned 4500 to a guy that of course never showed. Dummy. He tried to go to legal to get help, he had no info, just a name and a craigslist ad and a phone # we can only assume is a stolen cell. No comforting from us (Chiefs), just a smack in the head and a "don't be stupid, it even says at the top to NEVER send money via western union"

Now back to the thread.

Jay-Fazed
07/14/2010, 07:17 PM
Im Army and I dont think he will get far with JAG. I am a SGT E5. I have personaly had something similar happen to one of my guys. He took a deposit and the guy never came. a month later he shows up and wants his money back. All through paypal. Bother were service members and it was handles internally, but it came down to My guy kept the money. I think this guy needs a lesson, but it understandable that you dont want to drag this out. Just want it over right. If you know his full name and his unit. You can find out really quick who is chain of command is. it will be handled very quickly too. But if they think he deserves his money back....they will show hik every trick in the book to get it back. He sounds like a dead beat to me. Service Member or not, you should have better values than this guy. Ha who the hell thinks a deposit is refundable?

PHO2GR4
07/14/2010, 08:24 PM
Look, you are all over-thinking this. Either this was a deposit to hold the rims...which you did, and therefore you have rendered the service for which he paid (so keep the money), or else he is arguing that it was NOT a deposit to hold the rims...in which case it was a nice gift from him.

He can't have it both ways. If he paid you a deposit to hold the rims, and you did so, then keep the damn money.

If he is now trying to back out on a technicality, then he is a douche bag, and your response should be, "Thank you for the early Christmas gift."

In any case, all of your emails should stress that you are still willing to live up to your part of the transaction. In other words, you're still willing to sell him the rims for the agreed-upon price minus the deposit. Otherwise, **** it. The cost of litigation will certainly exceed the cost of the rims, so you know he's bluffing.

Stick to your guns. I hate douche bags.

vt_maverick
07/14/2010, 09:13 PM
Otherwise, **** it. The cost of litigation will certainly exceed the cost of the rims, so you know he's bluffing.

Assuming the judge doesn't award him attorney fees and court costs if he rules in the other guy's favor.

As for the AF, they have the option to deploy, not really military as far as I am concerned

I can't speak for non-intel units, but I know they've been deploying the hell out of 14N's (AF intel officer job code) for at least the past four years. They don't get a choice in whether they go, and some of them have been out there as many times as their Army/Marine counterparts. You may be thinking of enlisted personnel though, since many of their jobs (with the exception of air crews) can be done virtually from here.

The Navy is also augmenting for Army and Marines in the Gulf...

The AF does the same thing. I had a guy I worked with come up for deployment and get assigned to an IED forensics team to backfill an empty Army spot. He made it back okay but I'm told those units have some of the highest casualty rates in the war.

RickOKC
07/15/2010, 07:48 AM
Sounds to me like the boy doesn't know the definition of the word deposit:

"Money given as a pledge or down payment."

RamAirZ
07/15/2010, 10:56 AM
here's an original copy of our original agreement:

Him:Great wheels, if you dont mind waiting I am currently deployed but I will be home about the 21st. I live in Panama City at tyndall and will be willing to either met u somewhere or drive out to Fountain to pick up the wheels, please let me know if these arrangments will work for you... Thanks
Kenny

Me:That's fine with me, I'd prefer a deposit if you can. I work on the 77 near 23rd (near the mall) so we can always meet in-town there or if you want to drive out here that is fine with me as well

Him: A deposit is fine but how would I get the funds to you? I have PayPal if thats an option. Jus let me know how much but I do want to buy those wheels from you so please do not sell before I have a chance to buy them. Thanks
Kenny

Me: Ya I have paypal, what kind of deposit do you think is fair? My paypal addy is ***, I won't sell em', they will be in my garage until you get here.

Him:Sir, I sent $110.00 to you which is 20%. Thanks for your business and your time. I will look foward to meeting up with you the weekend of the 21st when I get back home. I would like to meet upat the 77 location u mentioned, to pick up the wheels and pay you the balance.

Kenny

Me:Sounds good, just bring $440 cash and I'll be there! Just let me know when you get back.

sloop
07/15/2010, 11:44 AM
here's an original copy of our original agreement:

Him:Great wheels, if you dont mind waiting I am currently deployed but I will be home about the 21st. I live in Panama City at tyndall and will be willing to either met u somewhere or drive out to Fountain to pick up the wheels, please let me know if these arrangments will work for you... Thanks
Kenny

Me:That's fine with me, I'd prefer a deposit if you can. I work on the 77 near 23rd (near the mall) so we can always meet in-town there or if you want to drive out here that is fine with me as well

Him: A deposit is fine but how would I get the funds to you? I have PayPal if thats an option. Jus let me know how much but I do want to buy those wheels from you so please do not sell before I have a chance to buy them. Thanks
Kenny

Me: Ya I have paypal, what kind of deposit do you think is fair? My paypal addy is ***, I won't sell em', they will be in my garage until you get here.

Him:Sir, I sent $110.00 to you which is 20%. Thanks for your business and your time. I will look foward to meeting up with you the weekend of the 21st when I get back home. I would like to meet upat the 77 location u mentioned, to pick up the wheels and pay you the balance.

Kenny

Me:Sounds good, just bring $440 cash and I'll be there! Just let me know when you get back.

I think this said it all (to pick up the wheels) He was buying the wheels, not giving you money to hold them so he can see them!

tomdietrying
07/15/2010, 11:46 AM
Look, you are all over-thinking this. Either this was a deposit to hold the rims...which you did, and therefore you have rendered the service for which he paid (so keep the money), or else he is arguing that it was NOT a deposit to hold the rims...in which case it was a nice gift from him.

He can't have it both ways. If he paid you a deposit to hold the rims, and you did so, then keep the damn money.

Stick to your guns. I hate douche bags.

I agree with PHO2GR4 100%. Stick to your guns. You did nothing wrong.

Peace.
Tom

Cobrajet
07/16/2010, 12:53 PM
Should have made this a Poll question.

My opinion means nothing so you can take it for what it's worth... just give back the money (which you should not have spent) and move on.

(That's my retired Senior Chief side talking)

RamAirZ
07/16/2010, 02:11 PM
Your right, I shouldn't have spent it, but also didn't think I had to worry about it either, that and I knew it wasn't refundable

BigMeatVX
07/16/2010, 02:24 PM
In all honesty, I'd probably punch him in the face and steal his girl after I forced him, through intimidation, to buy the wheels... at a marked up rate.

but that's just me

Xs 2:yesy:

BigMeatVX
07/16/2010, 02:27 PM
I say, at least make him wait untill you have sold the wheels....before you refund anything....

And then, I doubt I would give him anything at all, Id send him a check for 2 cents.:mady:

RamAirZ
07/16/2010, 02:29 PM
Ive already talked to him, he said he's willing to wait until I sell them but also says he's still somewhat interested in them. I told him if he waits until they are sold I will subtract any money I lose from our originally agreed price from his deposit. i think that's the fairest solution

Scott Larson
07/16/2010, 02:38 PM
Seriously, all this debate over a deposit? It doesn't really sound like anyone was out to screw with anybody! If you wanna keep the cash, you're the only one who has to look at yourself in the mirror every morning, go for it! Just remember, what goes 'round, comes 'round...hope you never make a commitment you can't keep.

RamAirZ
07/16/2010, 03:33 PM
So sounds like you think I should give it back huh :) I do alot of good things for people and go out of my way to help people alot so the only thing I hope comes around is good fortune lol.

IRONVIKING
07/16/2010, 03:55 PM
Keep the money. He led you to believe he was coming to take them off your hands. It sounds like he felt it was a done deal. I deal with Craigslist all the time. If you give a deposit and cant follow thru you lose your deposit, easy cheesy. Then he wants to be a little snot on top trying to scare you with his sarge? Blaa who needs it. Keep the money for sure.

Scott Larson
07/16/2010, 06:03 PM
What the hell, you didn't want to give it back in the first place; you were just looking for vindication and you found it here. Keep the cash!

Scott Larson
07/16/2010, 06:06 PM
Oh, sorry, LOL!!!

Scott Larson
07/16/2010, 06:17 PM
I really hate to think that this thread is indicative of the general sentiment and goodwill (or lack thereof) of forum members as a whole...If it is, it seems I've made a grave error in judgement! From everything I've seen to date, this must be an anomaly...

RamAirZ
07/16/2010, 06:49 PM
I wasn't looking for vindication, looking for opinions. I don't need vindication. I don't thinkI should have to give it back according to our original agreement but I have no problem trying to work with him to make sure both sides are pleased. If I was an a-hole I wouldn't even bother talking to him

Scott Larson
07/16/2010, 07:29 PM
Just trying to clear your conscience, at least you have one...LOL!

RamAirZ
07/16/2010, 07:51 PM
ya I do, unlike alot of people in this world. Most people would have said F off and not even replied to him, I'm at least trying to work with him but I'm not going to lose moey on him either since he drug me alot for awhile

Scott Larson
07/16/2010, 08:32 PM
For the life of me, I don't see where you're "losing money"! It cost you nothing to keep them a while longer, his money was in your bank account earning you interest (if you have half a brain and had it there) and you still have the wheels to sell to the next dude who must have them...where is the loss? Did they depreciate that rapidly? Are they now worth ****-loads less then they were before? Do you have storage fees that must be recouped? WHAT??? How did you get ****** over??? Did ya ever think for a moment that maybe his life isn't as rosey as yours? Maybe he can't afford two dandy offroad rigs like you can? Maybe he's trying to make the best of what he has and what HE can afford! Did that ever cross your mind? Doesn't sound like it...And the rest of you money-grubbing pricks should be ashamed. Advise like "**** 'em" is the last thing we need to hear, this forum is better then that, or so I thought!

circmand
07/17/2010, 06:13 AM
For the life of me, I don't see where you're "losing money"! It cost you nothing to keep them a while longer, his money was in your bank account earning you interest (if you have half a brain and had it there) and you still have the wheels to sell to the next dude who must have them...where is the loss? Did they depreciate that rapidly? Are they now worth ****-loads less then they were before? Do you have storage fees that must be recouped? WHAT??? How did you get ****** over??? Did ya ever think for a moment that maybe his life isn't as rosey as yours? Maybe he can't afford two dandy offroad rigs like you can? Maybe he's trying to make the best of what he has and what HE can afford! Did that ever cross your mind? Doesn't sound like it...And the rest of you money-grubbing pricks should be ashamed. Advise like "**** 'em" is the last thing we need to hear, this forum is better then that, or so I thought!

He hasd them for sale. This guy asked him to hold them. While holding them he had to say no to a few offers. The guy reniged and so far he has not had any new buyers. The deposit would be for putting up with the guys seevral delays, not responding to his efforts to contact and now having to redo the whole sales process. The loss of time and the loss of a sale he could have had if Capt. Deuschbag hadnt made him tell other people no and then flaking.

BigMeatVX
07/17/2010, 09:28 PM

You must vote for Democrats...:yeso:

Time is money...and not everyones time is worth the same amount of money....(I value what little I have of it)....imagine, for a moment, what mods could have been done to RamAirz VX with the money??? Mebey he was planning a locker before MOAB???? Or mabey my new Super Flexy IFS Mod....But now hell have to wait even longer, due to this A-hole.....and at the rate things are going, what if the rims dont sell untill next spring, and then Ramairz dosn't have the needed time to do the install before the Moab trip....

He knew he wasn't ever getting the money back when he clicked "send money" on the PaYPAL SITE

I hope your not calling me a Prick, cuase Ive got a few bucks??? :mado2: And why should I be ashamed?????:confused::mad::upsetwgra

RamAirZ
07/17/2010, 10:40 PM

Seriously, are you that dense? The 2 guys before me said it fairly well and I'll just add to it. I didn't just take his money and sit back, i tried contacting him MULTIPLE times, a few times he even said yes I still want them don't sell them, so I held onto them. Then he goes away and my potential buyers found other rims instead of waiting for mine. Market's come and go, there isn't a steady stream of buyers for alot of things and these wheels included, especially in my area. It's not like the Borbet's had a huge calling and every one and there mother wants them. There are a select few who know what they are and a few others who just think they look cool, but other than that it's scarce, so losing out on money AND my time sucks. Your telling me if someone did this to you and you got stuck holding onto that product that you could have sold 2 months ago but instead now have it because he ditched out and then decides he wants his money back (not a week after you talked originally, we are talking months) you wouldn't even be the slightest bit irritated? My life isn't rosey, I don't have alot of extra money (the Rodeo is gone fyi), I make due with what I have and I'm pretty good at what i do so that saves money, and anytime I sell a car part it goes to fixing up my stuff. I do have half a brain (a whole one last I checked) but last time I checked, $110 doesn't earn you a butt load of interest even with a %1.5 interest rate in a savings account over 2 months. When I say "lost" money it's because the offers I'm getting now are substantially less than my original offers from other parties that I COULD have sold to back then, way more than I have/could have earned in ANY savings account, that and the high yield accounts would need a high balance to start with so just dropping in $110 wouldn't have done crap with nothing else in there. I have thought if his life isn't as rosey but I've also learned there are alot of douchebags out there who could give two craps about me so why should I continue to worry about them? I have a wife and two kids to worry about, I don't need to worry about jo schmo on craigslist and think everytime a guy gives me a sob excuse it's true, because 99% of the time is all bulls**t. He didn't even give me a sob story, just said he didn't want them anymore. he didn't say "oh I got sent to iraq now" or "my mom died and I have to pay for a funeral" (I've gotten this excuse 3 times in one week before, must be a bad week for craigslist moms), just said hey I decided I don't want them. um, I'm sorry, you have me hold them, you keep flaking then give me the occasional email saying you want them still so I'm nice and continue to hold. Sorry, that's BS. I hope for god's sake you aren't that oblivious to the things that go on in these types of deals. These guys browse craigslist 24/7, email every guy they see something they are interested in, lead them on, then they pick one and ditch the other guys, happens all the time. they want to try and keep all of them on the hook in case another purchase falls through. is it bad business strategy on there end, honestly not, but it's not right either. It's the "all about me" mentality. Did you ever think I might need that money to pay for my kids surgery or something and I held out on what i thought was a sure thing being nice just to lose out and now my kid is missing a leg? That could be the other side of your "rosey" life. It also doesn't help that he is saying he is still somewhat interested in them now. I would have had no problem if he had just said "hey man, I don't really have the money now, I'm sorry". I'm cool with that. I worked with him in every way possible before hand, just communicate and be honest. Oh and he wanted to meet this weekend to try them on his truck, which I agreed to do at a place and day of his choosing, he just need to pick a time, and guess what, 2 days (almost 3 full days) and no contact again! If I don't hear from him by tomorrow before work I'm done and not working with him anymore. I'm not playing this game over and over

Oh and as far as your general sentiment and goodwill statement earlier, this past week I had 2 members (Planet not Vehicross) stay at my house for a few days (never met them before in my life, just chatted on the forums), modified one's ARB bumper to match his body lift (cut, weld, mock, etc etc), installed a CB, rewired lights, fixed control arms, CV's, replaced a few wheel studs, fixed wheel bearing and "cage", all for no charge. These were younger members coming through town and we decided to have a meet. I felt no need for them to waste the money on a hotel room and the one member had been trying for awhile to get someone to fix his bumper. I love helping people, I love lending a hand and opening my home to GOOD people but i'm also smart enough to realize when I'm being duped. I've been screwed over too many times by being the "nice" guy that I learned to pick out the people who weren't "true". I don't think this thread has any bearing on the "goodwill" of the members here, I'm sure all of the people here would go out of there way to help someone, but this guy doesn't need help. Or maybe he does, just not the kind of help i can provide

tomdietrying
07/18/2010, 07:26 AM
BigMeat, I vote for the Dems so that ain't it.

Mr. Larson must make a lot of deals/promises he can't keep and needs bailing out of himself. That's gotta be it.

Peace.
Tom

RamAirZ
07/18/2010, 07:50 AM
I hope your not calling me a Prick, cuase Ive got a few bucks??? :mado2: And why should I be ashamed?????:confused::mad::upsetwgra

Your not a money grubbing prick, just a prick :bwgy: just messing Alan

vt_maverick
07/18/2010, 09:00 AM
Whoa this thread has gone south quickly... RamAirZ, why don't you just update us when something actually happens?

Ldub
07/18/2010, 09:17 AM
Whoa this thread has gone south quickly...

Yeah...RIGHT...:upsetgray

And just what's wrong with the south???

Some of my best friends live down south...:upsetgray

:upsetgray...:upsetgray...:upsetgray...:upsetgray. ..:upsetgray...:upsetgray...:upsetgray... :upsetgray ...:upsetgray...:upsetgray

:laughing:.........:smilewink........:laughing:... .....:smilewink........:laughing:

Sorry, that was just too easy...:yesgray:

J/K...fake rant over...:yes:...:laughing:

RamAirZ
07/18/2010, 10:42 AM
^ lol Ya I'll update ya soon, I still haven't heard back from him and if I don't hear something by tonight I'm done trying.

PHO2GR4
07/18/2010, 10:54 AM
Wow, Scott, your posts seem sort of harsh. I've been a fairly active trader on eBay and Craigslist over the years, and frankly life is too short to deal with deadbeat buyers. Time IS money. And there is no way to put a value or "cost" on the frustration caused by the idiots out there who make commitments that they have no intention of keeping.

And yes, I've "lost" money when a buyer flaked out and I had to sell to the next lower bidder. In this case, RamAirZ has repeatedly offered to uphold his side of the transaction. Why would anyone want to make him the 'bad guy' in this situation?

$110 bucks is not enough money to pay for the aggravation the deadbeat buyer has caused.

Just my opinion, of course.

BigMeatVX
07/18/2010, 11:32 AM
BigMeat, I vote for the Dems so that ain't it.

Mr. Larson must make a lot of deals/promises he can't keep and needs bailing out of himself. That's gotta be it.

Peace.
Tom

Lol....Yeah, Yeah....you got it figured out....

Brian Drinks
07/18/2010, 01:06 PM
Its no faulty of your own,me myself i would keep the cash you gave him plenty of time to meet you to pick them up or make arrangements for pick up,let him do whatever he have to.

PK
07/18/2010, 05:21 PM
Wow RamAirZ, I bet you didn't expect this amount of comment when you originally posted this topic??

I am not sure of the legal standing in the USA, but here in Down Under Land, anyone paying a deposit for you to hold something for a specific period, would automatically expect to loose the deposit if they did not go through with the deal.

Apart from the legal side, there is also the moral side, and I think you have more than met your obligations to this guy.
Douche bags like him make a habit of trying to take advantage of the normal good guys. The only way to stop him from doing this to other people in the future, is to take a stand, and keep his deposit.
Perhaps give him one last chance, with a firm date, to buy the wheels before they go back on the open market.

Just as a word of caution, I wouldn't go meeting him on his turf - he is just as likely to have some heavies for backup.
Douche bags rarely hunt alone - they don't have the backbone for it.

Good luck in sorting it out, but either way you can hold your head high.

Regards

PK

RamAirZ
07/18/2010, 11:17 PM
Thanks, Haven't heard back from him AGAIN. I'm done. I'll update the thread if anything arises from it but doubt it