PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use KONI shocks?

Viatcheslav
07/12/2010, 10:05 PM
I have bought KONI havy track shocks like this:
http://www.koni-na.com/HeavyTrack.cfm
It has 4 adjustments and I think what choose?

SlowPro48
07/13/2010, 01:00 PM
I have bought KONI havy track shocks like this:
http://www.koni-na.com/HeavyTrack.cfm
It has 4 adjustments and I think what choose?

Looks like you can only adjust rebound damping on that shock, not compression. I'd set them for the most rebound damping possible - but not so much that the suspension "packs" routinely.

Start with the highest setting (most damping) and go out to the worst road you typically drive on and and hit a series of bumps. If it handles the first few bumps well but then suddenly gets harsh, the suspension is packing. (i.e., the shock is not extending enough between hits due to too slow rebound and it gets progressively lower in the stroke with each hit, then bottoms out, creating very harsh ride) If that's the case, you need to back off the rebound damping a click and try again.

Suspension setup is kind of a personal thing - it's always a compromise. If you set it up to handle stutter bumps, rebound will be too soft for crisp road handling and also it will be too soft for when you want to go fast off-road - hit a g-out and you'll bounce into the trees! On the other hand if you set it up for road or high speed off-road - with lots of rebound damping, it will pack down and rattle your teeth and hammer your spine when you encounter washboard, braking bumps before a turn, etc. My advice is set it up for the conditions under which you spend the majority of your driving, that way you'll be happy with your VX most of the time. The OEM shocks have lots of rebound damping which suits most drivers since in reality most of us spend 99% of our time on paved road but of course the OEMs have to be recharged with nitrogen on a regular basis - otherwise they cavitate and you have no damping in EITHER direction. Bubbles offer NO resistance!

Viatcheslav
07/13/2010, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE = SlowPro48 ; 198869 ] [/ QUOTE]
Thank you for your answer, i think i'll choose, a middle adjustment.