PDA

View Full Version : well it happened.....transmision went boom

don moore
07/09/2010, 06:57 AM
my beloved VX stopped dead in its tracks,:eekgray: will go in reverse but not forward in any gear.I noticed a BANG when it down shiffed then a shutter when it took off... and at the next stop light nothing....GRRRRRRR:mado:
Now she sits wating for a new transmision..:sleepgray..over 2k to fix her..:_wrench:
So if your in the Eugene area and want something to do ..Im having a :dan_ban:"Save Donnies VX" :dan_ban:garage sale this week end.
Ive beeen reading posts across the net about the problems ..and she does have 140k miles on her..
Wiss me good carma for the sale this weekend.
:work:

crotchrocket
07/09/2010, 06:59 AM
****, sorry to hear that!! cant you get a second hand one from a 3.5 trooper or similar? Give the scrap yards a call?

Bob Barker
07/09/2010, 07:38 AM
Does anyone sell rebuilt kits for these? Take it out and do it yourself to save some monies!

Ascinder
07/09/2010, 07:47 AM
Sounds like the golden opportunity to swap in that bulletproof manual transmission :) I'm actually really sorry to hear that happened to you since the same thing happened to me. I feel your pain to say the least. If it's any consolation, when I disassembled my transmission afterwards, most of the parts within looked like new. You may be able to have a shop just fix whatever snapped inside and go for another 140k with it. You could also disassemble it yourself with no special tools and isolate what's broken yourself then just have a shop put it back together along with a new friction kit. It would likely be a lot cheaper than a new transmission, and that's really all they typically do when they rebuild an auto transmission anyways.

ZubrAZ
07/09/2010, 07:53 AM
ebay is full of rebuilt trannies within $1000 range.

but I would suggest to go for manual, considering, you have an alternative mode of transportation and time to run around local junk yards. get the parts, find a mechanic who can do it in his garage (there must be plenty of people who is willing to make some extra dough during the recession) - it may cost you much less than 2G

circmand
07/09/2010, 09:16 AM
used on a piece that is this expensive and integral for vehicle is a bad idea. Heck you may get some guys 130,000 mile tranny that goes at 140,000 and you pay $2000 for 10,000 miles. No warranty no guarantee

nfpgasmask
07/09/2010, 10:18 AM
Sorry to hear this Don, and I have to ask, how often did you do a full service on your tranny (filter change, fluid change)?

:( Bart

tomdietrying
07/09/2010, 04:13 PM
Don,
Sorry about that? I hope you get plenty of sales tomorrow.
Peace.
Tom

ZEUS
07/09/2010, 04:21 PM
That's a bummer, man. Like you didn't know... Hope you get it all resolved and are back on the road ASAP!

Ldub
07/09/2010, 10:31 PM
Sorry to hear this Don, and I have to ask, how often did you do a full service on your tranny (filter change, fluid change)?

:( Bart

Inquiriung minds wanna know...:yesgray:

Don,
Sorry about that? I hope you get plenty of sales tomorrow.
Peace.
Tom

That's a bummer, man. Like you didn't know... Hope you get it all resolved and are back on the road ASAP!

X 2...that's some bad news right there...:(

don moore
07/10/2010, 12:30 AM
Well the guy at the trans. shop said it need to be done every 30k.. i let it go 50k..no more will that happen...Plus he said hes done these before so now I know someone that can do it right..
Thx for the positive CARma.. and prayers....

etlsport
07/10/2010, 04:40 AM
im sorry man that sucks!

on a positive note, your post lit a fire under me to check my trans fluid level (been meaning to for about 2 months now, wierd shifting when cold) it needed about 3/4 quart to top off, and now the clunking and hard shifting is gone completely

good luck gettin her back on the road!